Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.Com: Dallas Cowboys agree to terms with La'el Collins

Roger.Staubach

La'el's press conference was one of the most, if not the most impressive player press conferences I have ever seen. It even brought Jerry to tears.

Sorry, I'm not against this kid, but basing anything off a press conference is questionable at best. 

I'll wait for him to prove his character and talent over the years. Good luck to him.

Having said that, basing anything on Jerry Jones crying about it is even worse. There are plenty of things in Jerry Jones' history that should draw tears, a press conference is not one of them.

The difficulty with drafting him is that he was going to refuse the contract and matriculate back into next years draft.  He wanted to be undrafted after he realized what was going on.  Have to say I'm disappointed we couldn't sign him.  If charges came up, then cut him.

It's worth considering too that the flipside of the owner being the GM is that Jerry the GM doesn't have to worry about getting fired or sullying his reputation if he takes a flier on somebody with obvious concerns and they don't work out.  Somebody like SM has to have that added caveat in his mind that it's his ass if his pick ends up being a problem.

Jerry the GM has only Jerry the Owner to answer to, though, so he can take those risks.

So no one was willing to use a 7th on him, or he said he wouldn't sign after 3rd or am I missing something? If he was trying to dictate his draft position or whatever then screw that. Type of guy that doesn't listen to coaches.

And if teams weren't willing to spend a 7th, and wait for the police work to finish, are they just avoiding bad piblicity? I doubt it. They're worried that the guy's character is horrible.

You don't just accidentally get tied to a freaking murder. Not Mac, not Shannahan, not Gibbs would put up with it. Plaxico Burress didn't hurt anyone by shooting himself in the leg either.

OUR team needs a strong character, strong team mentality, so we can't afford to gamble on guys who have the slightest of red flags, or think they know better than coaches. THEIR team is all of those things. They are the opposite of what we want to be long term.

And finally, let's stop acting like they're some geniuses for getting "3 first rounders". They grabbed what literally every single other team passed on. Are 31 teams just stupid and Jerry's a genuis? He wanted manziel.

I like what we're doing. Nice and boring.

Dude.....Dan really couldn't get the squad together (Durant/Wale/DHall/DJax) to have dinner/party night for a measly 3 year 1.76 million dollar contract?  Weaksauce.

Because they didn't want him,just like the other 28 teams didn't

Because they didn't want him,just like the other 28 teams didn't

Secondary/OLine was arguably our biggest weakness last year.  3 year 1.76 million, not 17.6 million.  1.76!  What do we have left 7-10 million in cap space?

Really? What is this based on? The fact that he was questioned by police in a murder investigation? Let's hope somebody that you know isn't murdered because you'd be questioned as well and would therefore be a low character punk as well right?

Why doesn't it make sense for us? We are building a foundation for the future and Collins is a young, talented player that could be a nice part of that future. "May have character issues" doesn't make it wrong for us to sign him, since at this time, he doesn't have character issues.

If he doesn't work out for us, well we are right back in the same spot either way, so why not take the shot?

Or made him a priority once the draft concluded

He hasn't been cleared of anything and you don't know if he did or didn't do anything.

Point is Jerry doesn't care.

Jerry better hire DR. Phil next because hes going to be needed soon.

Almost like a "Dream Team" you could say....

I love bold pre-season predictions. They always seem to be right on the money.

At this point, I think this every time they sign someone new.

I'm not really worried. They had a good year with a terrible defense and the changes are supposed to push them over the top, but, IMO, our division is so weak that I doubt it will change much.

I think they'll lose in the first round of the playoffs for the second year in a row.

What are this guys character issues? I keep seeing that come up. The only thing I've seen is that he was initially named in a murder investigation as someone police wanted to talk to. He fell in the draft because of it. Since he has been declared not a person of interest in the investigation. So... no character issues to speak of on a 1st round talent level lineman.

Unless this guys a murderer the cowboys essentially got a free 1st pick at an undrafted price. In other words, the biggest steal of the draft on paper.

At this point, I think this every time they sign someone new.

I'm not really worried. They had a good year with a terrible defense and the changes are supposed to push them over the top, but, IMO, our division is so weak that I doubt it will change much.

I think they'll lose in the first round of the playoffs for the second year in a row.

Except that they didn't lose in the first round in the playoffs. 

Except that they didn't lose in the first round in the playoffs. 

Oh, look at that. Movin' up in the world. Instead of losing in the first round, they just lose their first game again. 

Man, things are looking up for them.

What are this guys character issues? I keep seeing that come up....In other words, the biggest steal of the draft on paper.

I agree with you on Collins. I'm referring to how this move isn't going to make a difference, and they've signed lots of questionable players this offseason. 

However, it's not as if people are dumb for wondering if Collins doesn't have character issues. Every team, including the Cowboys, obviously weren't sure about it either, and it's likely we don't have half the info they did.

Innocent until proven guilty.

La'el's press conference was one of the most, if not the most impressive player press conferences I have ever seen. It even brought Jerry to tears. For those that think he is a character risk, watch this and it will change your mind: http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/05/02/live-press-conference?adbid=596432621392900096&adbpl=tw&adbpr=8824902&campaign=social_20150507_45400196&short_code=2y7h0

I don't think he's a character risk.  He was pretty squeaky clean before any of this happened and he was a victim of circumstance.  However, I found that press conference kinda strange.  A woman and her child are dead and there were no condolences made towards her, the child or the family.  That's not saying I think he did it because I don't.  Just all this stuff how he's overcome adversity and people are going to be writing his story...he wasn't falsely charged, jailed or forced to stand trial and then cleared.  He was brought in for questioning.  The timing sucked happening right before the draft and he lost out on some money but he's getting to live his dream.  If he plays to his potential he'll make millions.  This story will be forgotten.  Lucky for him Tom Brady and deflated balls will rule the media for months.   

I really have no clue why we didn't just spend the 7th round pick on him. Hell even one of the extra picks late in the day.

Well worth the "risk" 

Innocent until proven guilty. Dallas has made excellent moves on that o-line and GMSM better figure out a way to match up with that o-line for the next decade 

I really have no clue why we didn't just spend the 7th round pick on him. Hell even one of the extra picks late in the day.

Well worth the "risk" 

Innocent until proven guilty. Dallas has made excellent moves on that o-line and GMSM better figure out a way to match up with that o-line for the next decade 

UDFAs can renegotiate their contracts, draft picks can't. That's why he wasn't selected; and probably why he would want to go the UDFA route rather than a 5-6-7th routh pick

Archived