Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.Com: Dallas Cowboys agree to terms with La'el Collins

Roger.Staubach

UDFAs can renegotiate their contracts, draft picks can't. That's why he wasn't selected; and probably why he would want to go the UDFA route rather than a 5-6-7th routh pick

Undrafted rookies do have to wait until after their second year. Draftees from round 3-7 have to wait until after their 3rd year, while first and second round picks have to wait until at least year 4 (possibly 5 for first rounders if the 5th year option is taken).

So, if the guy ends up being a bust (which isn't unheard of) he will see next to nothing. If he turns out to blow people away during his first two seasons, he makes bank come season 3 or 4 (since technically his UDFA contract is for 3 seasons).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/new-cba-limits-early-renegotiated-contracts/

http://www.jetnation.com/2012/05/21/the-rookie-wage-system-part-two-positives-and-potential-problems/

I feel like the Redskins have been drafting "character guys" for years. Give me a Dez Bryant, Randy Gregory, and Collins any day. Hell I'd be a lot happier with our 3rd round pick if we took Collins instead

I mean we could always acquire players like Albert Haynesworth, Laron Landry, Fred Davis, 'Malcomb' Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Tanard Jackson.  Oh wait. :P

I'm sure La'el Collins would of been a good pickup for any team who thinks they would fit their scheme.  However this forum needs to learn... there's no point of crying over spilled milk!

Boom or bust on the potential overlooked rookies, believe that the front office did their due diligence and played the safe route for a reason.  With such utmost importance placed in especially Scot McCloughan's inaugural season to set the tone of building the organization.  If an injury or suspension hurts a fantasy football owner's season, what more or a setback toward the real life front office of this organization who actually invests into the projected player(s) seen as a reliable cornerstone for their future expectations to come?

In Scot McCloughan we trust.

He hasn't been cleared of anything and you don't know if he did or didn't do anything.

Point is Jerry doesn't care.

Great point. I don't care either. Why should I? As far as I know, the guy is a Boy Scout that did what he was supposed to by cooperating with the police.

So what if it ends up that he did do it? Cut him and move on. It's pretty simple. At this stage, talking to the police is not a valid reason to avoid pursuing him.

Sure, but then when we were the only team to draft him in the 7th and he held out a year people would be pissed we waisted a pick on him. 

Every team in the NFL passed on him, and as you said, "The Cowboys got lucky." 

No big deal IMO.

I don't care about the other 31 teams. You want to talk about the Panthers, or the Bengals, or the Texans? Fine, they were all stupid too. But them being stupid doesn't make the redskins less stupid.

If there was a 50-50 shot he's going to be implicated (which seems absurdly high based on what we knew on draft day), then there was a 50-50 shot we could get a first round value in the 7th round. I have to question anyone who doesn't immediately recognize the wisdom of such a choice.

I don't care about the other 31 teams. You want to talk about the Panthers, or the Bengals, or the Texans? Fine, they were all stupid too. But them being stupid doesn't make the redskins less stupid.

If there was a 50-50 shot he's going to be implicated (which seems absurdly high based on what we knew on draft day), then there was a 50-50 shot we could get a first round value in the 7th round. I have to question anyone who doesn't immediately recognize the wisdom of such a choice.

So you are saying now that you are smarter than GM Scott because you want Collins and (apparently) he didn't?

So you are saying now that you are smarter than GM Scott because you want Collins and (apparently) he didn't?

I'm saying he made a dumb decision.

I know it's not even possible that McLovin could do something that wasn't bathed in perfection, so obviously I'm just cray-cray, but still, that's what I am saying.

You don't get it man.  If he was drafted rounds 4-7, he would have refused to sign and entered the draft again next year to get his Round 1-2 salary.  If drafted as an UDFA, you aren't eligble to reenter the draft and your "rookie" contract ends sooner therefore he can reach the payday he should have received last week a year or two earlier.  So sure, any team could have used their 7th round pick - but as his agent clearly stated, he would refuse to sign and enter the draft the next year.  Sure he chose Dallas as an UDFA, but if Dallas used their 7th round pick on him do you think he'd be in Dallas today?  Nope, he'd be sitting out as his agent stated he would do if he wasn't drafted by the end of the 3rd round.

I'm saying he made a dumb decision.

I know it's not even possible that McLovin could do something that wasn't bathed in perfection, so obviously I'm just cray-cray, but still, that's what I am saying.

I don 't remember anyone claiming GM Scott was perfect, but your complaining here seems to indicate disappointment that he isn't.

And McLovin? Already making up childish names for him, and he hasn't even been here for several months.

So, are you like, in "fire him now" mode yet, or just "feeling like he he's not going to work out" mode? :)

You don't get it man.  If he was drafted rounds 4-7, he would have refused to sign and entered the draft again next year to get his Round 1-2 salary.  If drafted as an UDFA, you aren't eligble to reenter the draft and your "rookie" contract ends sooner therefore he can reach the payday he should have received last week a year or two earlier.  So sure, any team could have used their 7th round pick - but as his agent clearly stated, he would refuse to sign and enter the draft the next year.  Sure he chose Dallas as an UDFA, but if Dallas used their 7th round pick on him do you think he'd be in Dallas today?  Nope, he'd be sitting out as his agent stated he would do if he wasn't drafted by the end of the 3rd round.

Sorry, but the "i'm going to sit out the year and re-enter the draft" ploy was one of the most obvious bluffs in history. Many of us scoffed at it from the outset.

If you don't believe it, you might want to consider this quote (Peter King):

But what if you’re not drafted, and you want to sit out a season and gain entry to the next draft? There’s no precedent, and zero language in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement providing for such a scenario.

“It certainly is not automatic,” said one agent well-versed in the CBA. “There is obviously some language in the CBA that can lead to a rendering of an interpretation by the league on the issue. How valid an interpretation that is would have to be examined, and if a player thought it was not a correct interpretation he could bring a System Arbitration challenging it.”

So, Collins could have challenged the league and fought to go into next year's draft, but instead immediately began soliciting FA offers and took one within a few days of the draft. So, he was going to sit out the year if he was drafted in the 6th round, but as a UDFA he can't wait to get his name on a contract? Yeah, that makes sense.

I don 't remember anyone claiming GM Scott was perfect, but your complaining here seems to indicate disappointment that he isn't.

And McLovin? Already making up childish names for him, and he hasn't even been here for several months.

So, are you like, in "fire him now" mode yet, or just "feeling like he he's not going to work out" mode? :)

Clearly, a week after the draft is the perfect time to evaluate all rookies who have yet to take even a practice snap.

Clearly, a week after the draft is the perfect time to evaluate all rookies who have yet to take even a practice snap.

For the really, REALLY smart armchair GMs (you know, the ones smarter than the Redskins GM), it is. :)

Sorry, but the "i'm going to sit out the year and re-enter the draft" ploy was one of the most obvious bluffs in history. Many of us scoffed at it from the outset.

If you don't believe it, you might want to consider this quote (Peter King):

So, Collins could have challenged the league and fought to go into next year's draft, but instead immediately began soliciting FA offers and took one within a few days of the draft. So, he was going to sit out the year if he was drafted in the 6th round, but as a UDFA he can't wait to get his name on a contract? Yeah, that makes sense.

Last time a team chose not to listen to the words of a player entering the draft, it wound up costing them their first round draft pick re: Bo Jackson.  I honestly don't believe it was a bluff.  Clearly, I'm not a Redskins fan - but you're beating up your GM for what the other 31 teams across the league took as truth that he would sit out if drafted.  The kid lost out on a 10-20 million dollar guaranteed contract.  By coming out and stating he would sit out it actually was a favor to all the teams in the league. If I were him, I wouldn't have said a thing and hoped someone took a flier on me with a late pick just so I could enter the draft again the following year and get the payday that was expected.  1.65 million vs 12.74 million and a 7.58 million signing bonus (Last years 9th overall, and reports are the Giants wanted him at that spot before all of this came up) - that's a lot of reasons to sit out for a year and re-enter the draft so I wouldn't be so quick to assume it was a bluff.

I'm in the camp of having high integrity guys. If there's even a cloud surrounding the player, forget about it.

I get that Collins is no longer suspect, but I'd rather not be fealing with the circus and likely ongoing scrutiny he'll face for unforeseeable future.

Stick to the script, let the Cowgirls sell their souls. I think GMSM got this. We're gonna build a winner, not hire shady mercinarys.

Couple of thoughts here. 

1. This kid might be the second coming of Charles Manson but there is zero proof of that.  He was considered a top 10/15 player in this draft, before all of this broke.  You don't get rated that high, on a draft board, as an OL,  if you have question marks in your past.  This kid has really done nothing wrong and for the record, he has been cleared as a suspect in this case.  

2.  I think I am in agreement with those who say that a team should have taken a flyer on this kid in the 7th round.  It was stupid not to.  Consider, if he re-enters the draft, he's not going to get drafted in the 1st round.  Depending on the depth of next years draft along the OL, he would be lucky to get drafted in the 3rd round.  Anything could happen between now and next year.  Does this kid really want to waste a year of NFL experience?  If he waited and got re-drafted, that probably means that he gets a 3 year deal and so really, he's waiting 4 years to get paid.   I don't see that.  Lets assume he gets drafted by a team that he doesn't want to play for.  I don't actually think they would refuse to sign but if they did, what is to stop said team from taking that contract, allowing Collins to name 5 teams and then negotiating a trade with those teams to get picks/players for Collins?   Any agent would have to like that idea, over sitting out for a year.   At worst, you could have gotten something for Collins in trade.   28 teams, according to reports were interested in him.  Somebody would have made an offer.  The financial value of taking that player, even if all he is is a backup, is too good to pass up.  I think the league screwed the pooch on this deal. 

I'm in the camp of having high integrity guys. If there's even a cloud surrounding the player, forget about it.

I get that Collins is no longer suspect, but I'd rather not be fealing with the circus and likely ongoing scrutiny he'll face for unforeseeable future.

Stick to the script, let the Cowgirls sell their souls. I think GMSM got this. We're gonna build a winner, not hire shady mercinarys.

One or two character concerns are fine, but the Cowboys now have five: Dez Bryant, Josh Brent, Greg Hardy (who already has had problems with at least 1 teammate), La'El Collins, and Randy Gregory.

One or two character concerns are fine, but the Cowboys now have five: Dez Bryant, Josh Brent, Greg Hardy (who already has had problems with at least 1 teammate), La'El Collins, and Randy Gregory.

What are the concerns with Collins?

The dude is linked to a murder and has yet to be cleared and people are pissed off that we didn't sign him? Come the hell on already.

If they say he not a suspect, passed lie detector test??  WHat else do you want...thats says he's cleared right there....This kid Got Screwed....And I Hope He dominates and set a better trend for Athletes if this situation ever comes up again..

The dude is linked to a murder and has yet to be cleared and people are pissed off that we didn't sign him? Come the hell on already.

Dude is borderline exonerated from the case.  Let's stop pretending they just signed this guy for a 50 million dollar contract.  It was 1.76 million.

Archived