Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins: Matt Jones RB Florida

TSO

Al Mo is considered to be a powerful back, but I don't think he gets enough credit for his feet.  Al Mo's got great feet in the hole.  It even jumps out on his college film.  I would go as far as saying that his feet are more of the reason why he's able to avoid first tacklers than his power.  

It's interesting to see Byner break down Jones a bit, because Byner had great feet too.  It's that subtle elusiveness that's hard to put your finger on sometimes.

Matt Jones seems to be a capable back, I just don't see the extra 'pop' in his footwork that Al Mo has.  He seems to be more of a bruiser.  It's not that being a bruiser isn't a useful football skill, it certainly is.  I just don't know if it translates to being an every down back in the league.  Personally, I think Redd possesses more 'three down back' skills than Jones.

I watched some of his high school tape online, and while it does not mean as much, it is some of the most impressive I have ever seen.  Runs through contact all day long.   I bet there are a lot of scouts who have had an eye on him for a long time and believe that his best work is yet to be done based on his limited work in a limited system in college.

Think about how quick he got out of Florida, I bet he knew he knew some guys were gonna give him his real shot in the NFL.   

His high school tape looks like he was playing against peewee football players.

The Issue with Ajayi was the knees, that is what what caused the drop. If those knees were really as bad as they said, then i totally understand why pretty much every team passed on him for the whole draft.

I think it just means a short shelf life, but I'm sure he'll hold up for his rookie contract.  In today's league it's almost not smart to pay an RB a second contract anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Alfred Morris is only 25, but has 1609 combined carries in the college and pros (733 in college, 876 in NFL). We can expect another ~250 or more from him, meaning he'll enter free agency with 1850+ carries.

Meanwhile, Matt Jones only had 297 carries in college. Far, far less tread on those tires.

I love Alfred Morris and everything he brings to this team, but he has been decreasingly productive with each successive year. At worst, we have insurance now

This sounds like the same thing people said when Ladell Betts was gaining a little, and I mean a little bit of steam while spelling Clinton Portis. I wonder how that worked out. Not saying that I don't want Matt Jones to be successful, but maybe we should wait until he actually plays a some downs consistently before we hail him Morris replacement, and why does one have to lose for the other one to win. Have anyone ever heard of depth or running backs by committee ?!

I CLEARLY remember thinking the same when I watched Almo go around right end for a 6 yard gain in the East-West College All-Star game at the TROP.  Hmmmmm .... this guy would look good in B & G!

Pure "wishful thinking" then and its the same now with Matt.

Can the Skins go 2 for 2?  

Given Helu's inconsistent performance last year ... Jones is not a huge risk.

• 2 months later...

I'm loving his energy and willing to bully the defense:

ezgif-2544582737.gif 

I really hope he continues to develop and truly makes a name for himself in the regular soon. This could help Morris as well, take some load off, help tire out the defense which in turn can give Jones and Morris ability to break out some good runs.

If Matt Jones has a good year; wouldn't shock me to see Alfred not resigned.

For sure.  He's so much more skilled than Alfred. 

I really feel as though he'll be our starter come '16.  I can completely see why he's compared to Marshawn Lynch.  He can do it all.  Beast in short yardage, threat to catch the rock out of the backfield, and is excellent at pass protection. 

Jones has done a great job so far but I would hold off on some of these proclamations. Jones has an injury history. Living where I live I Florida I've seen that he has missed quite a few games in high school and college. And he has been a little banged up during this pre season. Hoping he will be a great Redskin but I am taking a cautious approach.with Morris you have one of the most durable backs in the league. I would like to see them work in tandem for a while .

Morris never gets the love or respect he's due.

really. i thought the general opinion of morris way very good.

tldr: almo is a good dude who is very good at football, also jones is promising

yesterday im listening to a houston based radio station. all you hear outside of DC is redskins bashing, whether rg3, the team name, snyder, or otherwise.

i heard the first good thing about the redskins in 6 years down here and it was due to alfred morris.

the radio host (Nanos at Night-espn 610 am) said he got an opportunity to take his teenager to a media only redskins practice. he was very complimentary of garcon and kerrigan and the redskins in general, but he was absolutely blown away by Almo. 

he said Almo went out of his way to speak with his kid when he didnt have to. and talked to him for a while. he was trying to give the host's son lessons in life, such as, "remember, when you go to college, you are gonna have youre fun, but you need to keep youre priorities in line and get your degree" 

just rock solid life advice for a kid he didnt know. the host, who ive personally heard bash the skins was so impressed by the way Almo conducted himself and the host said that Almo was exactly the kind of character that the NFL needs more of, and he was right.

No one is without imperfection, but Almo is as good as it gets as far as character goes, and i really appreciate that.

He also happens to be very good at football and if we cant afford to sign him (this is a very reasonable scenario), he'll get a large contract elsewhere. 

Also, Matt Jones is looking really good and i'd sit him till week 1.

It's just that Morris is one of those players fans always seem to want to replace. I think he's undervalued. Remember how everyone was sure Trent Richardson was a better back and how Alfred's numbers were artificially inflated by Robert? Then the next year, they wanted to replace him too. Half the conversation this year is about how running backs are the easiest position to replace and Morris should not get a second contract here. Now, people are going nuts over Jones and seem ready to ditch Almo again. We have too few good players to be so cavalier.

The guy is not only a great guy and humble player. He's a really good doubles hitter. He may not have the speed to get you that forty yard touchdown, but he gets a whole lot of 20 yard runs. Despite two offensive coordinators which shy away from the run as much as possible (Kyle and Jay), Morris has the second most yardage in the league since he came into it. He's almost never in the conversation as one of the great backs in the league, but he probably should be. He's not flashy, but he does way more than merely get it done.

That's not to say that Jones hasn't impressed. He has flashed a ton as a rookie and has also shown pretty good hands. I can't wait to see what he brings to the team, but Morris shouldn't be forgotten or left out.

I was just looking at salaries. Crazy that Matt Jones ($737,000) makes more yearly than Alfred ($555,000) as of today. Chris Thompson makes almost as much as Alfred. I mean, I knew that was the case with the new CBA, but it's still weird to see.

Alfred's gonna get paid, but I wonder how much. His total yardage last year was right around Frank Gore, who's on a three year 12 million/yr deal. Gore's longer in the tooth by a lot though. Mark Ingram's another guy making about 4 mil a year. Is it unrealistic to think that Morris could sign for around that, or a little more, and that still be doable for the long term of this team?  Where the contracts really start to get up there is Jamaal Charles at close to $7 mil a year. There's 8 RBs making that or more: Charles(6.9), Stewart(7.3), Forte(7.6), Murray(8), McCoy(8), Foster(8.7), Lynch(12), and Peterson at the top with $14 mil a year. I really hope both can be kept here, but next offseason is probably Alf's one guaranteed shot at a big deal . I guess this season will tell a lot. 

It is silly to consider getting rid of Morris.

So many complain on this board about a lack of depth on this team. Yet as soon as the Redskins get a new player that is doing well, they want to trade away everyone else at that position. :rolleyes:

Morris and Jones can make a great 1-2 punch. You play Morris in the first half. He'll wear defenses down. Then you bring in Jones' fresh legs in the second half to face a tiring defense that won't want to stop him.

The team is collecting depth here. Stop trying to rush it all out of town. LOL!

RB is a position where you don't have to overpay unless you have an elite RB on the roster.  While I think Alf is a good/solid RB, I wouldn't give him $ past his rookie deal. 

I'm curious to see what his production will be this year as he's had declining #'s since his amazing rookie season. 

I think he's a guy who can be replaced by next season...assuming Jones is as good as he's been during TC and preseason. 

Going to be interesting to see what Scot's plan is going forward. 

Totally disagree with you Artest. Morris is the kind of player you need on your team from a production and a character standpoint. How about rewarding the guy a little bit for what he has already done? The Redskins have overpaid guys who just basically took the money and then didn't perform. Morris isn't totally about the money.Give him a fair deal and I believe he will re-sign in Washington and continue to produce and be way better than average. Alfred has been one of the few bright spots the last three years.

Archived