Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins: Matt Jones RB Florida

TSO

Yeah good points by you and Larry ... looking at the draft as a whole you do see a bunch of guys getting picked before where most draft boards had them, so not a big tell for Jones.

I'm still sold on the idea that Scot sees more for Jones than just a 3rd round draft pick, and now that's more of a hunch than an opinion with a lot of validity, which means i'm talking out of my arse!

ols we don't know.

A 3rd round pick is only a high pick on draft weekend. The rest of the year the 3rd, 4rth and 5th are players who "should" make an active roster.

Who knows what Alf is going to ask for, but love him as we all do, he is a limited back (doesn't catch, terrible blocker), who will have plenty of miles on him.

Will his career finish like Lynch? Is Alf a back you can ride your team on the back of? Got me.

Jones and CT would make one hell of a 1,2 punch. That's for sure and Redd is a very similar back to Morris.

RB is going to be fun to watch in camp this year for sure.

a third down back who can't pass protect (e.g., Morris, Helu, Redd, Thompson) isn't really a third down back ... with or without pass receiving skills

besides ... Thompson is our resident change of pace running back

I like this pick

(I assume they really seriously checked his knees out in depth ... given they used a 3rd round pick on him)

My first thought was I didn't like this pick, however now I am starting to like it.

One poster mentioned his blocking skills, which aren't on the video posted, but that would certainly be useful as we didn't have a good pass blocking back. 

Watching the film I do like his running style, he dances round tackles in a way that Morris doesn't (Morris simply goes through or over them). I agree he doesn't look explosive as some have said already, but he's a nice compliment to Morris.

EDIT: I watched the second video from beachboy, not so many slashing runs, in fact he looks almost like a Morris clone, but some good pass blocking, and some nice catches from passes.

And, while I don't think he's here to replace Morris (because, why would you want to do that?!), there was one play last season where it looked like Morris was hurt, and at that point a chill of panic went through me.

The skins were bad last year, but the skins without Morris would have been appalling. So, another guy that can replace Morris if Morris gets injured could be a very wise pick indeed, and if he adds something Morris doesn't, like blocking on pass plays, or a different option (such as screen passes), then all the better. 

Let's hope this is one we all look back on and bow down to Scott's infinite wisdom and vision... :)

One poster mentioned his blocking skills, which aren't on the video posted, but that would certainly be useful as we didn't have a good pass blocking back.

I agree we need a RB who does pass-pro, and I imagine that's what this pick was about. As Gruden said many times last year, a lot of the fault for our sacks was on RBs and TEs.

Going by the scouting reports is unhelpful here. Some say his pass pro is a strength, others say it is a weakness. Some say both :rolleyes.

I watched a video of him and thought his pass pro looked good. His technique could use work, but he made quick reads picking out the free blitzer, and he had the willingness to throw his body in there and deliver a blow. The technique can be coached, but the instinct and want-to cannot, and it looks to me like he has the instinct and want-to.

I'll see if I can dig up the video where I made these observations.

Edit: Okay the video of the Kentucky game posted by beachboy above has some good examples at:

0:25

0:45

1:05

2:20

2:50

4:21 (this my favorite play)

6:55

Love the pick...great in pass-pro, real desire to punish defenders. Haven't seen a RB with that kind of want-to & instincts out of college since CP. Hopefully injuries are behind him...he should get along famously with our power-run scheme.

If our GM rated him so highly and valued him enough to pick him in the third round? SM is giddy about getting him. What does that say? He could pan out, or bomb, but I'm rolling with Scot until he proves us wrong.

During the past two months I started out wanting Scherff (like crazy, because of our need for a strong OL) and after reading a gazillion posts, I changed my mind two or three times because of ES influence. We ended up taking Scherff. Good lesson learned this year.

But also props to the knowledgeable people on this board who provided lots of insight and video to watch, as well as commentary. I learned somethings during this draft and for that I am grateful. :thumbsup

Beside the 'Skins I'm Gators fan...and when I think about Matt Jones I think about two games. 

One posted above, Kentucky where he had a insane game and against Georgia. 

Some intro story: 

There is probally no football fan who doesn't love Will Mushamp. The man has more passion in his left pinky then some coaches in there hole body, but he never got it right as a Gators head coach. So last season was just sad to watch. He was on the hotseat, they struggled to get wins...and at some point they where 4-3. They needed a win bad against Georgia (#11), Muchamps old college team. Two players then took the team on there back and rode it to glory. One of them was Matt Jones. If he can show that passion to run hard in a 'Skins uniform, you will all like this pick a lot. I hope he will. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgn5Oe_17v8

(for the real scout the full game)

Alfred Morris is only 25, but has 1609 combined carries in the college and pros (733 in college, 876 in NFL). We can expect another ~250 or more from him, meaning he'll enter free agency with 1850+ carries.

Meanwhile, Matt Jones only had 297 carries in college. Far, far less tread on those tires.

I love Alfred Morris and everything he brings to this team, but he has been decreasingly productive with each successive year. At worst, we have insurance now

Is he as big as Brandon Jacobs or Steven Jackson? Kinda forgot how tall and heavy those back were/are?

I like the pick, a bruiser that has some wiggle.

I am pretty sure Brandon Jacobs was somewhere in the 250-270 range, something ridiculous.  I think Steven Jackson was around 240 but I may be mistaken about that.  Matt Jones is 232 when I checked.

First off, I'm a huge Alfred Morris fan. I saw this tweet earlier from a site I use for fantasy football stuff. There's at least one fantasy/stats geek out there that sees a possibility of him starting for us in 2016. Just offseason/fantasy fodder, but I found it interesting.

How Matt Jones Could be the Heir to Alfred Morris by @TheCFX http://buff.ly/1FNZQ4Z 

Could being the operative word. If you look at the guys he's compared to, they're mostly meh in the NFL. Being a glass half full kind of guy, I will hope he skews more towards Le'Veon Bell. That'd be OK.

Also, welcome Matt.

I'm sure Matt Jones can be a very good player in his own right, but I don't see Beast Mode/Marshawn, and that's against college competition.  He's a good downhill take on contact and punishing runner, but Marshawn has a whole other determination, won't go down/physicality that's all his own and manages to stay healthy. I mean to make that comparison you'd have to say Marshawn Lite. All of that said I'm not down on the pick...we need more physical play, short yardage, goal line, and better blocking from the RB position that Alfred, for all of his great attributes(certainly physical) may not have..it's a nice tandem. Hail !

You know, with all of the discussion about the Matt Jones pick, I think there are a couple of important points to remember.  First, its been said that they could have gotten him later in the draft.  This is of course, based on the mock drafts of people who are not involved in drafting players.  Clearly 1 team was willing to draft him before the 4th-5th, so that alone then makes all of those mocks wrong.  And if they were wrong on 1 team, could it be possible they were wrong on more than one?  Second, and in accordance with the first, in order to draft a player you MUST do so before any other team.  In other words, you must want him more than any other team.  You MUST be the first to take him.  I know this seems very simple, but it seems like people forget this.  Of course you must take him before everyone else in order to get him.  It might make you feel better to have someone else draft him before you do, knowing you were wise to grade him well but then....you dont have the player...because someone else drafted him.  Much like winning an auction, you ALWAYS have to be the highest bidder, and thus it will always look like you put a higher value on a player than every other team.  Third, much like in the business world, using consensus is not how you find good players.  If good players could be found by the general masses in the media, then everyone would know who they were, and not only would they would be gone before you could pick but you would be out of a job.  The very fact some teams draft much better than the rest shows that some people buck the trend of what people predict, and pick unexpected players.  This is just like business where when someone comes up with a new idea, everyone will tell them how it will fail because its different.  Instead, it is those who have the vision that become the billionaires, because they can see what other want.

Thats not to say that Jones is a good pick, but that the reasons most people have for being down on it do not seem to be very legitimate, and fly in the face of good reason.  If you think hes going to be a poor pick I think it would be best to talk about his attributes or lack thereof, then to attack the pick based on "well everyone else said such and such".

Archived