Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins: Matt Jones RB Florida

TSO

I see a lot of false dichotomy around here, some of you people are a little quick with the "either-or." "I like Jones" doesn't necessarily mean "I don't like AlMo."

I agree with the praise of AlMo. He has been as productive as just about any RB in the NFL since he's been here, and he is the very definition of a high character guy. You want to keep guys like that around if you can.

But regarding Jones, this guy looks awesome! There is a risk in being effusive with praise and drawing hasty conclusions based on a small sample size, but I have to say it anyway. Matt Jones looks like a RB prototype: Big, fast, strong, good eyes, shifty feet, aggressive, blocks, and catches.

Just watch him when he's on the field, and you have to be impressed. He looks really good, much better than expected.

I never said get rid of AlMo, but Jones looks like the real deal to me. A lot depends on who stays healthy and how much they cost, but the ideal would be having both, which we do this year at least.

A good RB is good news, but two good running backs is better news. I'm happy about what I'm seeing at that position.

I think almo is an all around B+ solid back.   I would not be disappointed if was our guy going forward.

This matt jones guy, though.   He is doing some really amazing things.   Just after watching him a few times this preseason, i have noticed that he has the ability to change direction, quickly, at high speed.  Smooth too.   When a guy his size can do that, It can cause some serious problems for a defense.   Not to mention that if our guys are giving him good holes and he has good vision, he could really  turn into something special here. 

IF that comes at the expense of Alf then I think it  can only benefit everybody on the team.  Alf will still get his carries too so its a net gain. 

I was sold on him back when i saw his highschool tapes.  Then, with how he was used in college, with limited reps and nagging injuries.     It all showed that this guy was someone who was  yet to break out into his true potential.  and might surprise some people. 

wish i would have drafted him in fantasy league.  i thought he would make it through to waivers, but no dice. 

I love Alfred.

If you're going to take several millions from our cap, you have to consider who you lose.

Would you rather Alfred and Jones or Jones and KRob?

This is why I think it's a no-brainer.  For as good as he is, finding productive RBs in this league isn't as hard as other positions.  I think Keenan Robinson means MUCH more to this team than Alf. 

I look at Jay's time in Cincy and how he used Gio Bernard.  I see a similar situation for Jones.  Except, to me, I think Jones is Morris' heir apparent.  Complimentary role in '15, probable starter in '16. 

Just the nature of the league. 

If the Redskins use their Space carefully and don't overpay for free agents there should be plenty of money to go around. With the salary cap Increasing every year and the use of sensible cap management there's no reason why we couldn't have Morris and Jones.Depth at running back is a good thing.As I stated before Jones has been somewhat injury prone.

Jones has clearly surprised me and impressed me.  This 1-2 punch could be great.  I am truly looking forward to him contributing this season.  I won't even talk Alfred's contract/situation.  I'll let that play out on it's own.  But I do wish/hope Alfred is part of this team going forward.

Jones has missed the last two days of practice according to Gruden because he just needs some extra rest and treatment.He missed time earlier in camp due to a knee issue.I am aware that training camp is long and arduous but Jones has not even played a full game yet.Matt came here with a bit of an injury history.While he is extremely talented just not sure if he can be a feature back.We know Morris can handle the work load but it remains to be seen if Jones can. As I said before I hope he turns out to be a great Redskin. I just wouldn't be too quick to show Alfred the door.

I like Jones as well but the worry I have is his running style.  The dude runs angry but this can lead to injuries/bumps and bruises and if that is the case you better have somebody available.  That person would be Alfred.  Pay the man and prove to the rest of the team that core players are important.  Having an Almo on your roster is nothing but a good thing and as for the cap is concerned they could make it work. 

BTW, I'm appreciative of the fact that some of you aren't general managers running a football team because this ain't Madden or fantasy football! ;)

PS.  Sorry for being so harsh about the GM thing but my diet thing is killing my lifting thing and I'm in a foul damn mood!

HTTR!

Jones probably won't have a long career. He'll probably be unstoppable some games and miss a lot. If he could hold it together long enough to be a Terrell Davis type career, amazing.

I've been saying often that this could be Morris last year with us, but I didn't know he spent the off-season catching balls for Cousins.

Morris has produced, but his rushing yards have dropped every year since his rookie year. He only had barely over 1000 yards last year, and 1000 yards really isn't much for a full time starting RB, especially with that meager 4.1 YPC. I like Morris, but we aren't talking about replacing Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch here. If he goes, he goes.

Hey... I like Matt Jones no doubt (his got to stay healthy, and prove he can play A full season we don't know that.

Why not keep both? If we have the $ and we don't have to over spend why not keep both? Even if Morris isn't Gruden's type of RB seriously?; his shown that his consistent.

Raiders had Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen and what happened when one went down

I agree with much of what has already been said: MJones looks to be a special back; Almo has been a special back; can we afford to keep both? 

I think I read where the Redskins have $8M in available cap space remaining this year. Once the 53 man roster & practice squad is finalized there will be a better picture of that number. Sure, they'll have to use some during the year for injured/replacement players but most of that will rollover to next year. Given the increase in NFL salary cap each year, the carryover number, & GMSM in charge, I can easily see Almo signing a decent 3-year deal to return. Of course, that depends on this years performance, but the guy has been nothing but solid.

There's a lot of dead cap rolling off the books this year ~$9M with $0 on the books for next year. Of course, the 2016 books will be hit by cuts after the season when players contracted for next year are let go. But my point is right now, there's $0 dead cap on the books in 2016. I can't recall a season when that has happened. It seems there's ALWAYS dead cap space on the books for future years.

My main concern with MJones, as others have said, is his durability. Let's see him make it through the year and see what he can do before sending Almo to Atlanta to be reunited w/ KShanahan. 

There should be plenty of $$$ to spread around to reward the right players. I think Almo would be worth $7-9m/3yr kind of contract. He's solid, not elite & should be a nice pairing with MJones. 

Homer here drafted Jones late in his fantasy draft last night  yo.gif

I couldn't help it. Looking at all the other backs available late, it was a no brainer after seeing him last week.

Fans may underestimate Morris but we all appreciate him, and how tough it is be an NFL RB.  He is not an all down back. It's ok to talk about the things he doesn't do well, heck we do it with almost every other player. It does not mean fans don't like him. I just haven't seen him as yet a good fit in a power scheme. Isn't that what Gruden is transitioning towards? 

I'm not sure why some think we'll overpay for Morris.  Someone mentioned the deal Frank Gore got.  3 years, 12 million.  I could see Morris accepting that.  I really don't think the Redskins will try to pay him 7,8 million a year with Jones behind him.  Plus, Morris is a pretty humble guy and going from 600K to 4 million isn't something he'd scoff at.  With Jones injury history, I really like having both backs. I think it's essential.

So, is there any recent contract precedent for a guy like Morris that is (roughly)

A runner (not a home run threat)

C+ pass catcher

B- blocker

A+ durability

A+ character

Love Jones. Liked the pick at the time, but seeing his all around abilities has me a bit giddy. If he were to become the feature back (if Morris/we moved on) though, I think we'd better find a suitable backup. Speaking of backups, kudos to Thompson for his progress.

Archived