Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins: Matt Jones RB Florida

TSO

My (very limited) view:

Good balance, variety of open-field moves - in particular using subtle steps to throw off defender's angles - does a good job making his reads in pass pro, runs pretty violently - often looks to punish a db rather than stepping OB) - pretty decent game speed as well as hands. Has some good "wiggle" to him, though not an elusive back. Will attack rushers in pass pro, though I'd like to see him keep his head up a bit more often. Overall, I can see why SM was happy to nab him - he brings some things we lacked from our backs last year (passing downs in particular) and shows the abilities to grow into a Lynch-type back. I think he's easily our 2nd best back and best 3rd down back if he transitions well to the pros.

As said above, he looks to be a nice upgrade to Helu. But I would suggest letting him first beat out Silas Redd and Thompson for playing time before determining that Morris is now expendable lol...

From the way SM was talking last week with Grant + Danny, he's thinking Jones will be #2 on the depth chart to start the season.  Redd/Thompson will be battling for #3. 

I really like this pick.

I don't see the Jones pick as a threat to Morris for the starting RB job. ( At least not right now )

I also don't think he was brought in to just be a 3rd down / short yardage / goal line RB. I think he was drafted to be a fourth quarter RB.

So, that when we go into the fourth quarter with a 10 - 14 point lead and Morris already has 15 - 20 carries, Jones will come in to beat down the defense that Morris has already worn out.

Insist that he spends a couple of days of watching film of John Riggins, Marshawn Lynch, Earl Campbell, and Jim Brown.

Then look him in the eye and say " Matt. This is the running back we need you to be. "

And, if things don't work out with Morris. Jones is already there to compete for the starting RB job.

If you watch a lot of Marshawn Lynch in college, he is nowhere near the physical player he is in the NFL. HE has some bang-bang, but he runs more like Alfred Morris in the pros runs, haha. In any case, don't be spooked because Jones' college tape doesn't look like Lynch's pro tape. 

The more time passes, the more I really think Matt Jones could be a very good player for the Redskins

The law of familiarity. The average looking new girl at work starts looking better with each passing day.

Given enough time... you could talk yourself into literally anything.

The law of familiarity. The average looking new girl at work starts looking better with each passing day.

Given enough time... you could talk yourself into literally anything.

And I'd know, I mean... it took some time, but I even like you now.  

If you watch a lot of Marshawn Lynch in college, he is nowhere near the physical player he is in the NFL. HE has some bang-bang, but he runs more like Alfred Morris in the pros runs, haha. In any case, don't be spooked because Jones' college tape doesn't look like Lynch's pro tape. 

Lynch was one of the lowest runners I had ever seen in college.  And he was decisive when he ran.  I know he is the comparison but I just don't see it in Jones.  It was an odd 3rd round pick when a guy like Ajayi, who runs a lot more like Lynch than Jones does, was still on the board.  I can see Jones as a 3rd down back maybe, but I don't think he's a starter in this league.

I'd be surprised at this point if Jones didn't beat out the incumbents for the #2 RB/passing down RB role. And I think unless he regresses or gets injured, Redd is probably locked into that 3rd spot as the guy most likely to be able to join Jones in replacing Morris if he's injured, a guy who could conceivably carry a heavy workload in the worst case scenario.

The real battle will be between Chris Thompson and Trey Williams. Personally, I think Thompson had his chance to show his alleged explosiveness and/or prove himself as a punt returner, and now Crowder is here to take that role.

IF there's a RB on this roster capable of forcing McCloughan into keeping 4 RB's, I think it's Trey Williams as a Swiss Army knife type offensive weapon, if his quicks and elusiveness translate in preseason.

The other way to look at it is that we're definitely going to have a RB on the Practice Squad, regardless. If we only keep 3 RB's, that means Thompson is the odd man out since he's ineligible.

So I see Trey Williams beating out Thompson regardless.

Although I like Redd, it seems to me that Gruden really likes Thompson. If Gruden truly buys into Scot's vision, then I could see Redd being the 3rd back (especially factoring in ST play). If he wants a group of runningbacks that complement each other,and wants that speed element, then I think Thompson's the guy. Of course Williams is a wildcard in all this.

If they all stay healthy, we should have an interesting bit of insight into Gruden's thinking as the roster is set.

Jones' weight is just right.  

Nice upgrade over Helu.

Jones hasn't played an NFL down yet and you're calling him an "upgrade over Helu?"  Helu does has some production for several years and catches the ball out of the backfield. Not so sure letting him go was the right thing to do. He was a solid player for us.

Jones also didn't catch the ball at Florida. He was no where to be found catching the ball. Not sure how he's going to translate in the 3rd down role other than blocking.

This was a pick that really made me scratch my head.

Jones hasn't played an NFL down yet and you're calling him an "upgrade over Helu?" Helu does has some production for several years and catches the ball out of the backfield. Not so sure letting him go was the right thing to do. He was a solid player for us.

Jones also didn't catch the ball at Florida. He was no where to be found catching the ball. Not sure how he's going to translate in the 3rd down role other than blocking.

This was a pick that really made me scratch my head.

Well, here's hoping he proves something to you :)

I was actually in the same boat as you. Was thinking we grabbed him too early - particularly a guy so tall that runs upright and has little experience catching the ball. Then I watched him play. I'm pretty happy with the pick now.

I think 3rd and short, and goal line situations are a possibility for him.

Lynch was one of the lowest runners I had ever seen in college.  And he was decisive when he ran.  I know he is the comparison but I just don't see it in Jones.  It was an odd 3rd round pick when a guy like Ajayi, who runs a lot more like Lynch than Jones does, was still on the board.  I can see Jones as a 3rd down back maybe, but I don't think he's a starter in this league.

But I think the thing is, you dont WANT a guy that runs like Lynch.  I know that seems strange to say at first, but its like trying to capture lightning in a bottle, twice.  Lynch is a one man event.  There wont be another Marshawn Lynch.  You want a guy who runs like himself.  That hes the trendsetter, the guy that everyone else gets compared too.  Superstars are one offs, and you either find a superstar whos his own guy, or you find a guy whos a good servicable runner.  If you draft a guy, and the best people say about him is "he runs like Marshawn Lynch", well then he never made his own name in the NFL.  If hes truly really good, one day people will say "lets find a a guy that runs like Matt Jones".  

Much like saying "Lets find Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning", you cant, they are already in the league.  You have to find a new guy, whos probably going to be different.  But you cant rekindle the past, and nor should you want to.  Find someone who reinvents the position, because thats really what the greats have done.

But I think the thing is, you dont WANT a guy that runs like Lynch.  I know that seems strange to say at first, but its like trying to capture lightning in a bottle, twice.  Lynch is a one man event.  There wont be another Marshawn Lynch.  You want a guy who runs like himself.  That hes the trendsetter, the guy that everyone else gets compared too.  Superstars are one offs, and you either find a superstar whos his own guy, or you find a guy whos a good servicable runner.  If you draft a guy, and the best people say about him is "he runs like Marshawn Lynch", well then he never made his own name in the NFL.  If hes truly really good, one day people will say "lets find a a guy that runs like Matt Jones".  

Much like saying "Lets find Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning", you cant, they are already in the league.  You have to find a new guy, whos probably going to be different.  But you cant rekindle the past, and nor should you want to.  Find someone who reinvents the position, because thats really what the greats have done.

Getting low as a (power) running back isn't a novel thing.  People have recognized that being low as a RB is important for as long as I've been following football at least.

Jones is big (bigger than Lynch, Almo, etc) and doesn't get low.  He's going to have to learn to get low(er) if he's going survive in the NFL, much less be successful.

Jones just reminds me of Steven Jackson coming out of the draft. A tall, big back with the ability to do everything well, without being exceptional at any one thing. Granted SJax was a much more polished product coming out of college, but the similarities are there...plus the dreads.

Jones just reminds me of Steven Jackson coming out of the draft. A tall, big back with the ability to do everything well, without being exceptional at any one thing. Granted SJax was a much more polished product coming out of college, but the similarities are there...plus the dreads.

Yeah I can see that. He reminds me of a slighly smaller, slower, and less fluid Steven Jackson. I don't see the Lynch comparisons at all...as was said before he really does run a bit upright and he'll need to learn to get lower in the NFL because his size alone won't let him run through tacklers in the pros. The only guy who runs somewhat upright in the NFL and still makes everyone look stupid is AP. But that's AP and he is pretty much in a world of his own.

Then again it may not really be fair to directly compare Jones with Lynch and Jackson because both of those guys were first round picks and Jones is a third. I didn't really like the pick and I think there was better talent availble (that didn't have such injury issues either) but its a third rounder so if we get a guy who is at least a good RB for us, even if mostly on 3rd downs it isn't an entirely wasted pick.

I watched some of his high school tape online, and while it does not mean as much, it is some of the most impressive I have ever seen.  Runs through contact all day long.   I bet there are a lot of scouts who have had an eye on him for a long time and believe that his best work is yet to be done based on his limited work in a limited system in college.

Think about how quick he got out of Florida, I bet he knew he knew some guys were gonna give him his real shot in the NFL.   

Yeah I can see that. He reminds me of a slighly smaller, slower, and less fluid Steven Jackson. I don't see the Lynch comparisons at all...as was said before he really does run a bit upright and he'll need to learn to get lower in the NFL because his size alone won't let him run through tacklers in the pros. The only guy who runs somewhat upright in the NFL and still makes everyone look stupid is AP. But that's AP and he is pretty much in a world of his own.

Then again it may not really be fair to directly compare Jones with Lynch and Jackson because both of those guys were first round picks and Jones is a third. I didn't really like the pick and I think there was better talent availble (that didn't have such injury issues either) but its a third rounder so if we get a guy who is at least a good RB for us, even if mostly on 3rd downs it isn't an entirely wasted pick.

Haven't watched all that much of Jones, but it seems like while he runs upright, he gets fairly low at the contact point.

Heck, with our track record of third round picks, it'll be a major coup if he's a good back for us. ;)

The Issue with Ajayi was the knees, that is what what caused the drop. If those knees were really as bad as they said, then i totally understand why pretty much every team passed on him for the whole draft.

The Issue with Ajayi was the knees, that is what what caused the drop. If those knees were really as bad as they said, then i totally understand why pretty much every team passed on him for the whole draft.

Then again, Jones has had two surgeries on the same knee. I don't think it is as bad as Ajayi's situation but its still a little worrying.

Archived