Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I don't listen to a lot of sports talk anymore but to me it seems like people are basing their opinions on Bram's play by play abilities on how they thought he did as a sports talk show host. I don't think that's fair and I'd like to give the guy a chance.......even though my opinion isn't much either since I also rarely listen to the radio broadcasts. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I don't listen to a lot of sports talk anymore but to me it seems like people are basing their opinions on Bram's play by play abilities on how they thought he did as a sports talk show host. I don't think that's fair and I'd like to give the guy a chance.......even though my opinion isn't much either since I also rarely listen to the radio broadcasts. 

I don't care if he's good or not his voice irritates me lol.  It just bothers my ears. 

It's like Grant Paulsen.  He was the DC Defenders play by play but no way I could ever listen to it.  Hell he's on the Caps pregame right now and it's making me want to throw my laptop at my screen.

• Haha 3

Bram's voice is the classic black stand-up comedian 'white guy' voice to a T.  

I never really liked him on the radio.  Always tried to act too hip and cool for someone that seems very uncool to me.  But that doesn't mean he'll be awful in the booth, guess only time will tell.  I'm curious how long he's signed on for, if this is just a test run or they locked him in for quite some time.

• Haha 1

I listened to part of Kevin Sheehan show from their vault today. He wasn't as bitter sounding as it seems people like Dukes and Czabe were yesterday (per twitter). He likes Bram personally. He was talking how they want a totally different radio booth aimed at being more interactive with younger audience. Kevin made a great point that radio people aren't a younger audience so it'll take work.

What he said that made me laugh was about Doc Walker. He seems to think Doc added this insight and real information to the game day from the sidelines. That he was surprised that Doc didn't have bigger role after being a color commentary guy for... the ACC? Seemed like he was talking about a totally different person that the guy who leans on nicknames and nobody uses....and yelling "That's what I'm talking about!"

I was day dreaming a few days ago about how you could put together a solid single sportstalk station using talent in the area and posted to twitter. It was basically

7-10: Sheehan and Grant Paulsen - I think they have enough local sports knowledge
10-12: Bram and Carol Maloney - Minor opinion here. But I like both of them on the radio a lot and a 2 hour show would be strong. Carol knows the Nats pretty damn well.
12-2: Scott Linn and Scott Jackson - I just want a show called "Great Scott". Both I think are overlooked as sidekicks who could talk every sport for a few hours.
2-4: Michael Jenkins and Rob Carlin - This was after NBCS DC dumped them. I think these guys also can talk all DC sports and wouldn't be only Football focused.
4-7: Al Galdi and Friends: So, this would be Al hosting and who is with him depends on what local sports are on. From Knoche to Smokin Al to former Nats/Caps/Bullets/Whatever. I think Al deserves drive-time.

Anybody who isn't listed. Thank you for your service. But not interested in hearing you on the radio anymore. Cheers. 

I'll always love Doc's sideline reporting because he thought he could jump in and play, and it was funny. I recall once he was maybe 20' from a rams tackle  and they cut to him, but you could see him on TV.. he was yelling his report about how #74 was getting away with murder for holding Kerrigan, he's pointing at him and YELLING in the mic "he's just a disgrace to physical fitnesss! Big fat doughboy!"

for that, he will always be meaningful to me. THAT is analysis.

~Bang

• Haha 2

Doc had a good run, but he's kinda outlived his usefulness as a broadcaster. And I can't denigrate his career and say he was never worth anything.  I actually used to like him on the ACC and back on WTEM when it was Doc and Smokin Al.  But he's entered full-on crotchety old man stage that's not entertaining, and hasn't been for a while.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I accidentally tuned into Grant and Danny...took me all of 10 seconds to hear Danny climbing up on his soap box about Thaddeus Moss, chastising people in his mentions who thought Moss was going to be the find. It was so disgustingly arrogant and smug...over being right about a UDFA. How insecure do you need to be to do get that much of an ego boost being right about a UDFA

• Haha 2

On 8/13/2020 at 12:48 PM, justice98 said:

Doc had a good run, but he's kinda outlived his usefulness as a broadcaster. And I can't denigrate his career and say he was never worth anything.  I actually used to like him on the ACC and back on WTEM when it was Doc and Smokin Al.  But he's entered full-on crotchety old man stage that's not entertaining, and hasn't been for a while.

I think he's fine paired with someone like Galdi who is well above the intellectual average for talk radio. But Galdi should be the star, not Doc.

• Like 1

God damn EB is such a ****ing douchebag I cannot stand him.  If I stop listening to the Junkies it's 100% because of him.

I'm working in my basement this morning and have it on in the background and just now they are talking to Feinstein and he is just such a ****ing dick about everything relating to social injustice.  It started off with him basically saying how stupid the name change to WFT was and Feinstein basically telling him he's wrong.  And then Feinstein talks about how the only sport to not boycott is the PGA which looks bad because it's all basically rich right wing white people and he applauded NHL for taking a stand even though it's majority white.  And of course EB is trying to defend the PGA.

I am so glad I unfollowed him on Twitter it's made my feed much more enjoyable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EB is so ****ing dumb.

He legit thinks David Blane caught a bullet with his mouth.

Like he 100% believes someone shot a ****ing gun at David Blane's head and that he stopped the bullet with his mouth.

I know I'm not the only one who just heard that ****.

This dude is off the deep end...

Edited by purbeast
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

bump on old thread....

Searched, but didn't find a thread in which anyone mentioned their thoughts on the new booth (Weinstein, Donaldson and Hall).  I tried to listen to it through the Redskins/WFT app but it kept telling me when clicking on the "LIVE" button that I did not have an app to handle the url (not sure what that means as I've never seen that error before).  I've had tons of problems in the past with the Redskins/WFT app when trying to listen to the game so I wasn't exactly surprised.

In any event there's an article out indicating some early growing pains issues with the booth personalities which I guess is to be expected.  Anyone else care to chime in on their first impressions of the show in terms of the content and quality?

I only listened on a brief food run just as the 2nd half started. The criticism in the article about talking/making sounds during the play is justified, but it sounds like Julie is going to take that to heart. She (and maybe DHall too) was making random "oh and ooh" sounds in the few plays I listened to. Bram seemed fine to me. But again I only listened for like 5 minutes.

I liked Hall cheering. 
I thought it added to the broadcast, and i don't' care if some journo thinks it's not 'journalistic". One time he started just before a big play happened. He told me something was up by doing it, which added to the call of the play. Thing was, what he saw that told him that something was up was subtle, something his experience showed him. Him saying "yeah! yeah!" over Bram's call of the play was not distracting, and as i said, added to the excitement of the play, which turned out to be a good one for us. |
Another time he did it, the action he saw was off the play, and he made a valid point afterward on what he was seeing.
Bram was a little rushed at times, but I thought often it was about being both a little excited for his debut, and the breakneck pace both offenses were running in the first half. neither one left a lot of time for standard back and forth. I think that also contributed to Julie sounding a bit rushed at times. trying to find a spot to make your point in such a small amount5 of time is something they will work on.

they had a couple of small bumps, but i think they are plenty forgivable given the circumstances, and overall i enjoyed the broadcast.
Now, that being a win I am sure helps, but overall I still prefer it to Darryl Johnston.  I'll be listening again this Sunday.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The main pbp man shouldn't be interrupted. Heard highlights of week 1 and dhall was yelling during the Moreland pick. Totally messed up brams call. 

Bram is fine. Commentators need to chime in at right time 

I think I heard that too. Is it possible that this new booth is going to make us even miss Larry?  I guess I've come to expect some level of homerism with any broadcast crew, but is it that hard to be somewhat professional about it?

55 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The main pbp man shouldn't be interrupted. Heard highlights of week 1 and dhall was yelling during the Moreland pick. Totally messed up brams call. 

Bram is fine. Commentators need to chime in at right time 

I saw Donaldson apologizing on Twitter for talking over Bram as well, and the Twitter Keyboard Warriors started chiming in "You shouldn't have to apologize for talking over a MAAAAN!"

Idiots. I do enjoy watching them make fools of themselves.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, hail2skins said:

I think I heard that too. Is it possible that this new booth is going to make us even miss Larry?  I guess I've come to expect some level of homerism with any broadcast crew, but is it that hard to be somewhat professional about it?

I think they're just rookies.  That seems like the kind of thing you learn from experience.  They probably needed some preseason too.  None of the people in these jobs have done them before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not to mention, road games are being broadcast by watching a TV and calling the action. 

They're shaky, but it's an odd year, and to me it doesn't really matter. They convey the action, and i hope they never try to polish DHall. I like him.

~Bang

On 9/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, purbeast said:

Just unfollowed Czabe on Twitter.  Dude is off the deep end like EB is now.  They just retweet such dumb **** I couldn't take him anymore.

The Wizards play by play guy was also pretty eye opening. I guess these guys don't give a **** that the public can see every "like" they make on Twitter but it can certainly impact how I view someone.

• Like 1