Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

The lack of sports is showing what a lot of local shows can put together. I thought Czabe would be able to make something work. I agree the show is pretty bad. 

Sheehan has been able to cobble things together. Galdi can still carry Doc. Even on 106.7, Grant and Danny have found movie discussions. 

I mean pre-covid I wasn't a fan of his show.  I was never in the car to listen to it very much but every time I was it was rarely sports talk and was more him and sully just BS'ing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, purbeast said:

I mean pre-covid I wasn't a fan of his show.  I was never in the car to listen to it very much but every time I was it was rarely sports talk and was more him and sully just BS'ing.

Ah, i don't agree there. When there was sports the show was 75% about it imo. 

12 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Ah, i don't agree there. When there was sports the show was 75% about it imo. 

You are probably right.  As I said I rarely am in a position to listen to it but every time I do flip it on it's rarely sports so I change it.

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

You are probably right.  As I said I rarely am in a position to listen to it but every time I do flip it on it's rarely sports so I change it.

Shrug. I think Czabe when you have a few sports going on, and beat reports calling in, was good. They take callers but not many compared to some shows like B-Mitch who without callers would be a 15min show with 2 ad breaks.

No good solution right now. Only so many Top 10 lists you can do as a segment before people change the station to music.

• 1 month later...

So, I started listening to 106.7 with all of this name mess going on, and the Nats getting back on the field, and ended up listening to some of Grant and Danny, sans Danny, because I like Pete Medhurst, and it's night and day different. Grant is still kind of a pompous douche, but without Danny, it's so much better. Rouhier is really unbearable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

So, I started listening to 106.7 with all of this name mess going on, and the Nats getting back on the field, and ended up listening to some of Grant and Danny, sans Danny, because I like Pete Medhurst, and it's night and day different. Grant is still kind of a pompous douche, but without Danny, it's so much better. Rouhier is really unbearable.

I have this same exact feeling.  Even when it's just Danny and no Grant, Danny is tolerable.  I think it's because they can't be jerking each other off while on air.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Whoever they have subbing for Galdi at the moment with Doc Walker is awful. He has no charisma, sooo boring to listen to.

That's Chris Johnson the program director, he's dry but I don't mind him too much lol.

I'm no longer local but seems like EB is still running with "Covid is no big deal" takes and retweeting random Twitter accounts as fact. I'm curious if he's causing the Junkies to lose any listeners because of it. Although nobody should be getting medical advice from a morning sportstalk host, it still seems pretty irresponsible IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I'm no longer local but seems like EB is still running with "Covid is no big deal" takes and retweeting random Twitter accounts as fact. I'm curious if he's causing the Junkies to lose any listeners because of it. Although nobody should be getting medical advice from a morning sportstalk host, it still seems pretty irresponsible IMHO.

I change the channel everytime he does it. It's infuriating. They have to know he's causing people to tune out. I guess they just don't care. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

since the story broke, 980 has completely failed. Czabe too calls immediately before anybody could read it. Let guys who started with "Sexual Harassment is bad....but...." with some saying most of the women were lying. Then this AM for 5min Doc was talking similar calls and sounding like an idiot. Just now, Brian Mitchell was just as bad. If Urban One and 980 are going bare bones where they only take calls and all the calls are like this, just find some national show to run. This is garbage. 

• Thanks 1

I'm back at work now every other week so I'm listening to 1067 all day while at work, and every time unfunny Danny makes up a new accronym for "JP" when addressing JP Finlay during the blitz, I want to punch that fat ****ing douchebag square in his god damn jaw.  God damnit that grinds my ****ing gears so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/21/2020 at 12:09 PM, purbeast said:

I'm back at work now every other week so I'm listening to 1067 all day while at work, and every time unfunny Danny makes up a new accronym for "JP" when addressing JP Finlay during the blitz, I want to punch that fat ****ing douchebag square in his god damn jaw.  God damnit that grinds my ****ing gears so much.

I hate that bit he does with JP "John Paul Finlay". It's played out.

Right now without real sports, we got to see who really bombed and who always stunk. I used to feel Czabe was the best. But he's turning into some COVID truther. 980 on the whole really dropped the ball during the story out of Ashburn. Taking calls and allowing these guys to talk for 90 seconds to start with "Sexual harassment is terrible...but...." and then suggest the women are lying, or it happens everywhere so it's not as big of a deal. Brian Mitchell, Czabe and Doc Walker failed horribly last week. You could tell Scott Linn was uncomfortable with whoever he was working with.

Junkies are terrible always. Same with Dukes. Grant is ok but it's a low bar. Galdi and Sheehan are probably the more professional and informed right now. Between the 2 (3) stations, I don't know if you could combine all the good talent to create one solid lineup to stretch the entire day unless they all had 3 hour shows. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I hate that bit he does with JP "John Paul Finlay". It's played out.

Right now without real sports, we got to see who really bombed and who always stunk. I used to feel Czabe was the best. But he's turning into some COVID truther. 980 on the whole really dropped the ball during the story out of Ashburn. Taking calls and allowing these guys to talk for 90 seconds to start with "Sexual harassment is terrible...but...." and then suggest the women are lying, or it happens everywhere so it's not as big of a deal. Brian Mitchell, Czabe and Doc Walker failed horribly last week. You could tell Scott Linn was uncomfortable with whoever he was working with.

Junkies are terrible always. Same with Dukes. Grant is ok but it's a low bar. Galdi and Sheehan are probably the more professional and informed right now. Between the 2 (3) stations, I don't know if you could combine all the good talent to create one solid lineup to stretch the entire day unless they all had 3 hour shows. 

You and I are pretty much on the same page, the 980 personalities were very disappointing with how they handled the sexual harassment claims, it was pretty damn embarrassing. I can't even listen to Czaban anymore with his crazy COVID takes.

I'm not surprised how the rich old white folks like CZabe and 1/2 of the Junkies are talking about Covid.  I've completely changed my opinion on Lurch and EB during this whole pandemic.  I still find them entertaining when it's the group together, but I definitely have grown more dislike for both of those guys.  

I haven't listened to CZabe in a while though just because I'm home from work by the time he's on the radio.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

You and I are pretty much on the same page, the 980 personalities were very disappointing with how they handled the sexual harassment claims, it was pretty damn embarrassing. I can't even listen to Czaban anymore with his crazy COVID takes.

Yeah, Czabe used to be common sense to me. Now it's just sad.

I feel awful for Carol Malony on 630. I know they had budget cuts, but when she knows more about sports that aren't football than Brian and Doc. It sucks. I'd like a see almost a full reboot of 980, but Urban One seems to be spending the least they can to have it running. More and more callers means they aren't paying for professionals to call in as much.

Also, it's beyond time to get shows for former athletes who didn't play for the Skins. AND the only minorities that have shows were former Skins. Add in no women right now as part of a show. If you want to grow your brand, you need to mix it throughout the day. Not have the same topics on different shows rehashed. 

Lastly, Chris Russell must work for free because he has been on the radio for a while and still can't speak in complete sentences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Also, it's beyond time to get shows for former athletes who didn't play for the Skins. AND the only minorities that have shows were former Skins. Add in no women right now as part of a show. If you want to grow your brand, you need to mix it throughout the day. Not have the same topics on different shows rehashed. 

A Carol Malony--Ryan Zimmerman show would be fantastic.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You would think that in a powerful, transient region such as the DMV would have top shelf sports talk radio... Something for everybody. Instead, they carry on like some dead ass Rust Belt town.

It's the worst.  Podcasts are where it's at.  

• Like 2

I think Zimm on the radio would be ok. His zoom interviews with people are solid. What I like is that he is the type to get professional training to be a stronger radio speaker. Him with Galdi would be good because Zimm seems to know other sports. Galdi is a baseball geek. They could fill up 2 hours quick.

Guys like Chris Knoche would be better than most current hosts. Smokin' Al also. 

Don't need Cooley back. Don't need Lavar back. Smoot is ok in SMALL SMALL doses. I know SVP is back in the area but still does his sportscenter late at night. Same with I think his podcast. I'd throw a ton of money at him to do a radio show than can have a national vibe, but from DC. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You would think that in a powerful, transient region such as the DMV would have top shelf sports talk radio... Something for everybody. Instead, they carry on like some dead ass Rust Belt town.

We just now getting top shelf sports teams, cant go from cursed to Asgard overnight.

Ask the Wizards, when your franchise is terrible for so long, the folks covering them are either unappreciated or nobody cares how bad they are.  Phil and Buck deserved better, Kara couldnt get out of town fast enough.

So much rage in this thread, the demand for a better product is there, is it dead ears or not loud enough?

• Like 1