Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

So I'm going to re-enter this conversation having given Doc and Galdi a little room to grow and I think I like the format. It kinda reminds me of a local version of Mike and Mike, but without all the BS that they did as they got older. Maybe a more sports version of the sports junkies. Maybe thats not giving them enough credit though. 

I like the way the contrast one another. I still think that sometimes Doc will talk over Galdi or sometimes Galdi is too into his own opinion, but they've gotten a lot better. 

In particular is the conversation with the Skins winning a game vs losing out. You have Doc's opinion (as a guy who's played) that there's nothing like winning and how winning can help a lot of things, and in particular how he himself has been 0-5 and saw it turn around and lead to their SB runs. But Galdi is all about the tank for Tua or whoever so he wants to just play Haskins and let the chips fall where they may. I enjoyed that back and forth because it was a groove for the show. Some callers sided with Doc and some with Galdi. It was nice. 

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting listening to the Junkies this morning talking about how the black people that live near Nats park/WJFK studios scare them. Yes, the violence in the area is a concern, but they have a really shady way of wording things.

The segment started around 7:30 for anyone interested in going back to listen. 

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Interesting listening to the Junkies this morning talking about how the black people that live near Nats park/WJFK studios scare them. Yes, the violence in the area is a concern, but they have a really shady way of wording things.

The segment started around 7:30 for anyone interested in going back to listen. 

I heard it.  It had nothing to do with the "black people" that live near there.  It had to do with the "people" that live there.

Stop trying to turn this into something it wasn't.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:19 PM, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm going to re-enter this conversation having given Doc and Galdi a little room to grow and I think I like the format. It kinda reminds me of a local version of Mike and Mike, but without all the BS that they did as they got older. Maybe a more sports version of the sports junkies. Maybe thats not giving them enough credit though. 

I like the way the contrast one another. I still think that sometimes Doc will talk over Galdi or sometimes Galdi is too into his own opinion, but they've gotten a lot better. 

In particular is the conversation with the Skins winning a game vs losing out. You have Doc's opinion (as a guy who's played) that there's nothing like winning and how winning can help a lot of things, and in particular how he himself has been 0-5 and saw it turn around and lead to their SB runs. But Galdi is all about the tank for Tua or whoever so he wants to just play Haskins and let the chips fall where they may. I enjoyed that back and forth because it was a groove for the show. Some callers sided with Doc and some with Galdi. It was nice. 

I like the new school vs. old school dynamic and its good to have Galdi since he actually knows other sports besides football(particularly baseball).

They've done well together. I think it should be a mainstay on 980 for the forseeable future.

B Mitch and Scott Jackson need to go though. Bring Bram back in that time slot.

7 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I heard it.  It had nothing to do with the "black people" that live near there.  It had to do with the "people" that live there.

Stop trying to turn this into something it wasn't.

It's exactly what I said it was, those guys have definitely had an agenda over the past couple of years. Hell, you're talking to someone who was a big fan of them. My bloody username is in honor of their show. I've noticed a huge shift in their behavior towards "brothers" over the years. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Had to switch over to 980 because hearing the two fat asses on G&D talking about Thanksgiving food for 30 minutes was grossing me out.

They have this conversation every year. You're right, it's pretty nauseating hearing nerd Grant talking about food. 

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

They have this conversation every year. You're right, it's pretty nauseating hearing nerd Grant talking about food. 

With his fat lips smacking every word I'm picturing him eating while on the show, spitting chunks of food onto the microphone and licking them off at commercial break.

• Haha 5

I was cracking up on Monday when Joe Theismann called Grant out on the trying to get "G and D over". He said something along the lines of "you know you've made it when you're referred to by your initials". You could hear that fat lip Grant was a little salty about it lmao. 

I did hear that when they were talking about how guys like McClellan and Rizzo make themselves available to the media on the regular, and even now Tommy Sheppard does also...... only Bruce is hiding with the exception of doing softball interviews with Doc Walker. For still not being able to tell Grant or Danny apart on the radio. That was a valid dig IMO

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

21 hours ago, purbeast said:

With his fat lips smacking every word I'm picturing him eating while on the show, spitting chunks of food onto the microphone and licking them off at commercial break.

I swear that dude is gonna find you one of these days, man and his neck/lips are gonna mess you up good.

• Haha 2

I know it's their job to be interesting, but the Junkies are talking about doing some conversion of Redskins fans to ravens fans. I'm ticked at them for even suggesting this. I'd be ok if people dropped football altogether, but if you jump ship you were never a fan in the first place. 

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

I know it's their job to be interesting, but the Junkies are talking about doing some conversion of Redskins fans to ravens fans. I'm ticked at them for even suggesting this. I'd be ok if people dropped football altogether, but if you jump ship you were never a fan in the first place. 

Ratings for the Ravens were 41% higher in DC. It's a legitimate issue.

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ratings for the Ravens were 41% higher in DC. It's a legitimate issue.

Right now, I would think the Ravens are more popular in DC than the Redskins.  I was at a restaurant in Clarendon on Sunday, and they had as many TV’s on the Ravens game than the Skins game.  I even heard some people at the bar say, “turn off that trash” when referring to the Skins game on the main TV.

I’m glad this is happening.  They quite frankly deserve it: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I could really do without people calling up the radio station yelling and screaming.  

I usually turn when they open up the phone lines. I swear,  you'd have to pay me like top dollar to sit up and listen to some insane/stupid person rambling on and on. Or some world class narcissist who feels like they're a third/fourth wheel, calling in every week

I was listening to Doc and Galdi today and Doc mentions Coach, and tihs was after a segment talking about Call and so when Doc says "Coach" I naturally think he's talking about Callihan. I was really surprised thinking that somebody had Call on their show this morning, or maybe an old coach. It took me a while to realize he was going by his "nickname" for Sheehan which is also coach .Frustrating. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:52 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

I usually turn when they open up the phone lines. I swear,  you'd have to pay me like top dollar to sit up and listen to some insane/stupid person rambling on and on. Or some world class narcissist who feels like they're a third/fourth wheel, calling in every week

To me the phone lines are the closest thing to being on here or something like twitter. I get fan opinions (bottom up) instead of a top down media approach where we just listen to these "experts" who are really just fans or non-fans who like to complain. 

That said, just like here some callers are easier to listen to than others. I loved yesterday when somebody was calling in and had like a 20 point presentation he wanted to get to and Doc just (or was it Czabe or another show) just cut him off and was like "let me know when you get a podcast"

• Thanks 1

Doc has been the weakest loyal host and now with Galdi carrying him, it feels like he doesn't put in much homework. He's even worse on the game day broadcast. Screaming from the sidelines isn't covering the game. 

The stronger shows take the fewest amount of callers because you have 1 host who can talk by themselves and do interviews without struggling or you have a few guys who can banter back and forth. I know Czabe said he wishes he could take less but it's a station thing. I know Bram didn't take any on 980 but has to on 630. Who wants to hear what some idiot like me has to say? I already know what I think. And people who sit on hold for middle of the day shows? Are you not working? It's the same people over and over. 

I had to say Grant/Danny did something good. But they had a fake Larry Michael/Bruce Allen interview I caught while driving at lunch today that was funny. That's all I'll say about them that's good beyond they will talk more non-Skins than most 980 shows.