Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I think EB is regular conservative. JP is liberal. Cakes is liberal, but disengaged. Lurch leans conservative, but even more disengaged and just likes to hand out with rich people. I’m not sure there’s one Trump vote amongst the four, though. 

Chad Dukes on the other hand... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think EB is regular conservative. JP is liberal. Cakes is liberal, but disengaged. Lurch leans conservative, but even more disengaged and just likes to hand out with rich people. I’m not sure there’s one Trump vote amongst the four, though. 

I think your breakdown is accurate, but I get the sense that EB is a major trump backer, I used to think he wasn't until he hosted one of those Saturday shows with Dukes a few weeks ago, his true colors were on full display. 

Chad on the other hand reminds me of an actor who wants to play the role of a redneck. All the obsession with being a drunk, guns, mma and backyard fires strikes me as disingenuous. I could be wrong, but I get a vibe of total BS with that whole act.

Cosplay Chad

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 3

Just now, spjunkies said:

I think your breakdown is accurate, but I get the sense that EB is a major trump backer, I used to think he wasn't until he hosted one of those Saturday shows with Dukes a few weeks ago, his true colors were on full display. 

Chad on the hand reminds me of an actor who wants to play the role of a redneck. All the obsession with being a drunk, guns, mma and backyard fires strikes me as disingenuous. I could be wrong, but I get a vibe of total BS with that whole act.

Cosplay Chad

That's exactly who Dukes is. A punk

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Cosplay Chad

Didn’t check in with that show, but I could see it. 

Dukes just seems like a deeply troubled and insecure person. lashes out at people and seems painfully self-aware but projects onto others. 

• Like 2

I hate to say this. But B-Mitch just isn't good on the radio. It sucks because unlike some other folks over the years. You can tell he is doing his research before the show. But he can't deliver it cleanly. After this long, I don't know what a solution is or if they really care. I'm sure there are media and speaking trainers who he could be practicing with. But sometimes to listen to him struggle through a thought it painful. 

On 6/2/2020 at 5:28 PM, TheDoyler23 said:

Curious what Dukes' ratings are. With Czabe being the weakest version of his show in a long time, you'd think 106.7 would try to steal some listeners with a smarter show. 

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm generally okay with B Mitch but I don't like him carrying a show. I think he's great in the #2 role like what Doc has. Pair B Mitch with someone like Galdi or Sheehan and let them carry the show.

Since Coach Thompson retired, Doc has been regressing. That show with Smokin' Al keeping things on schedule and Coach pulling in great guests for interviews was so different. I can't think of a time 980 has had a worse total lineup. Even the time when Larry Michael had his garbage show

31 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Since Coach Thompson retired, Doc has been regressing. That show with Smokin' Al keeping things on schedule and Coach pulling in great guests for interviews was so different. I can't think of a time 980 has had a worse total lineup. Even the time when Larry Michael had his garbage show

Galdi saves that show. Without him Doc is just a lost old man. But I actually think the two work well together.

We need a new generation of former athletes in our radio. We're still riding on dynasty Redskin players. Cooley was great, need him back. Fred Smoot would be great on radio too.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Galdi saves that show. Without him Doc is just a lost old man. But I actually think the two work well together.

We need a new generation of former athletes in our radio. We're still riding on dynasty Redskin players. Cooley was great, need him back. Fred Smoot would be great on radio too.

980 baffles me. Whenever Smoot is on I don't wanna get out of the car. Same with Cooley. Many of their on-air guests as well. Why is it so hard for them to get this right?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I feel bad for Galdi. He's done everything that station has asked and they gave him basically a babysitting gig

• Like 2

Galdi/Smoot/Cooley would be the best radio in town. Not even remotely close

Doc Walker just needs to go retire to a place where they'll let him yell out the window to random passers by, giving them pep talks and rah rah speeches

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Galdi/Smoot/Cooley would be the best radio in town. Not even remotely close

Doc Walker just needs to go retire to a place where they'll let him yell out the window to random passers by, giving them pep talks and rah rah speeches

I wouldn't put Smoot and Cooley on the same show. That's a waste. Seperate them. Smoot should replace Doc and roll with Galdi as the flagship show. Bring the Cooley and Sheehan show back, they were great together.

• Like 1

I like Smoot when he's on but I think if he was a regular his schtick would get old pretty quick to me.

Cooley on the other hand is great.  I think my all time favorite show was The Drive with him and Czabe.  Initially I didn't like it probably because I missed Andy and Czabe, but I got used to them and really enjoyed it.

I called in to his show back in 2013 and chatted with him to ask him to play on my rec league football team.  He completely didn't respond to anything when I tried to contact him after like he told me to.  ****er.  Even if he had just came out to hang for one game everyone would have LOVED it because everyone on our team and basically the league was die hard skins fans. 

1 minute ago, Berggy9598 said:

Would it be ok to integrate nation sports talk radio here? I couldn’t find a thread for it and I’d like to bash Chris Russo. 

I don't see why it would be a problem, he can be heard here. Go for it!

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I don't see why it would be a problem, he can be heard here. Go for it!

Maybe bashing is the wrong word, but I was shocked by the calls he let go on and on a couple of days ago that went beyond a differing opinion and crossed over into thinly vailed racism. The channel itself is great imo but his inability to think beyond his perspective can be very irksome. I can see why Mike Francesca couldn’t stand to be in the same room with him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Maybe bashing is the wrong word, but I was shocked by the calls he let go on and on a couple of days ago that went beyond a differing opinion and crossed over into thinly vailed racism. The channel itself is great imo but his inability to think beyond his perspective can be very irksome. I can see why Mike Francesca couldn’t stand to be in the same room with him. 

When sports radio personalities turn to subjects as deep as this, probably best to be selective who you listen to. I've avoided the Junkies and Dukes since the protests began because I know most of them won't ultimately get the big picture of what's happening. 

This world is broken, having common decency has somehow being framed as being a "liberal problem".

Sort of to chime in on the last few posts. I'll admit that in recent years I've preferred listening to various music channels on satellite radio and have spent less time with sports talk, even though I would try to catch some of the Junkies and Czaban's shows during football season, particularly on Mondays to hear their takes about the Skins. But I had a friend call me this afternoon telling me about something random he had heard on one of Czaban's recent shows. 

And I thought....what has been the motivation for anyone to listen to sports talk for the past 2-3 months?  For those that are/have, what are they talking about?

26 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I used to love Czabe's shows but the one he has now seems like they rarely even talk about sports let alone local sports.  

The lack of sports is showing what a lot of local shows can put together. I thought Czabe would be able to make something work. I agree the show is pretty bad. 

Sheehan has been able to cobble things together. Galdi can still carry Doc. Even on 106.7, Grant and Danny have found movie discussions.