Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

It's amazing how we all differ so much on the hosts lol.

I don't mind B-Mitch and JP,  Chris Russell is Chris Russell for better or worse, but I can't stand listening to Hoffman anymore, that dude comes across as a complete pompous ass these days, thinking his knowledge is superior to his low brow audience. 

Just now, spjunkies said:

It's amazing how we all differ so much on the hosts lol.

I don't mind B-Mitch and JP,  Chris Russell is Chris Russell for better or worse, but I can't stand listening to Hoffman anymore, that dude comes across as a complete pompous ass these days, thinking his knowledge is superior to his low brow audience. 

yep, amazing. Chris Russell after over a decade of doing this, still can't speak in complete sentences. By now he should have at least worked with a speaking coach or did a little training to improve even a little. 

JP talks about communicating with Mitchell outside of the show. But there is a vibe B-Mitch doesn't care for JP very much. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

You know I don't mind Grant on Saturdays when he is actually talking sports. I can't remember who he is hosting with but I think it's a simulcast from the Team 980. When he gets in the booth with Unfunny Danny it's miserable experience.  

I'm reaching my limits on him. He knows a lot but he lacks on charm in so many ways. It's like what the junkies, and the other hosts have in barrels, he's just lacking. And he just doesn't realize he's lacking in it. He thinks it's funny or charming. 

I started listening to sports radio for the callers not the hosts. I came on here for the posters. So I care about how the hosts treat the callers. Sand he treats them badly, rarely taking callers. 

Now that Scott Jackson has a show again and there's a Bram show and a Andy Polly show (no callers either in those shows though) but they aren't as pompous so I'm quicker to stop listening to a Hoffman podcast when he gets all high and mighty. 

22 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

LOL. I'd bench Danny and make Grant a sidekick, update guy on some other show where he can't decide to talk about food rankings for the 100th time. 

JP kills me with his pauses. When you are silent for 10 seconds on the radio, people think something is wrong. Especially when it happens mid-sentence.

I think Hoffman right now is the best locally. even if they got old and not good, Czabe, Pollin, whoever.....were professional radio talkers. Didn't mumble or drop a bunch of uhhhs, umms, you know, I mean, etc....... Hoffman is that too. Good flow, can talk deeper on football than even the former players locally. Route concepts, X's and O's. Same with Hoops. Not so much baseball or hockey. 

I think it depends on what you're looking for. Each guy had their moments and I was riding the Hoffman train this summer but he's hard to listen to for a long time because he's so full of himself especially without his producer. 

Compare that to Russell who is also full of himself but he's also a buffoon so it's laughable he was behind Hasett for God's sake. Russell looks good interesting angles on news articles which I think is cool. Hoffman looks to prove he's right. 

This market is really lacking in the sports radio personality area. The podcast has more but they are not daily, some are weekly, some are less frequently. And some are just not funny. I used to like Kevin and Rock but I don't know what happened to them. Lionel is the guy who is the big substitute teacher who is getting the big attention dollars right now so he's probably due for a promotion soon. We'll see what he does with it. 

Hopefully winning brings more people to want to talk sports again because sports radio is dead, like Nas said about Hip Hop. 

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Compare that to Russell who is also full of himself but he's also a buffoon so it's laughable he was behind Hasett for God's sake. Russell looks good interesting angles on news articles which I think is cool. Hoffman looks to prove he's right. 

This market is really lacking in the sports radio personality area. The podcast has more but they are not daily, some are weekly, some are less frequently. And some are just not funny. I used to like Kevin and Rock but I don't know what happened to them. Lionel is the guy who is the big substitute teacher who is getting the big attention dollars right now so he's probably due for a promotion soon. We'll see what he does with it. 

I don't get the Hoffman looks to prove himself right anymore than other sportstalk guys. I think he actually does prove he's right using numbers and situational analytics compared to other shows who get pissy, hang up on callers to point out they flip flopped, etc. You think Grant wants to hear how much he was behind Zack Wilson right now? Of course not. I don't actually like that Craig's show, and Kevin's show.....well....all the shows basically have their producers as a full-time sidekick. When the Sports Reporters were in their glory, you might hear Solly a few times over 4 hours. Now JP is constantly asking a question of his guys to rule on what's better, Shrimp or Chicken. WTF is that?

I agree the market is lacking. We're in the dark ages right now. Used to have shows that had at least one professional talker who could keep the trains running on time. Smokin' Al, Scott Lynn, etc. It's a sad state when its a super rare moment and Chris Knoche fills in.....and is better than the guys he's covering for. Might be why they use Doc Walker so much, he's never netter than anyone. He offers no real insight or analysis. Toughness and Heart are the only think he wants to talk about.

We should do a "Sportstalk Draft" here to build the best show we can from a list of current, past, and maybe a few wish-we-had voices.

48 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I don't get the Hoffman looks to prove himself right anymore than other sportstalk guys. I think he actually does prove he's right using numbers and situational analytics compared to other shows who get pissy, hang up on callers to point out they flip flopped, etc. You think Grant wants to hear how much he was behind Zack Wilson right now? Of course not. I don't actually like that Craig's show, and Kevin's show.....well....all the shows basically have their producers as a full-time sidekick. When the Sports Reporters were in their glory, you might hear Solly a few times over 4 hours. Now JP is constantly asking a question of his guys to rule on what's better, Shrimp or Chicken. WTF is that?

That's exactly my point though. Analytics is such an uncertain word and he's on a high and mighty train saying Ron is using it wrong. I've been in other threads about why I don't place analytics above scouts. They don't know the game, they just know numbers. They don't know if Chase is limping or tweaked his hamstring or beat that LT last play but it was called back. 

Galdi talks analytics with Sharpe and a bunch of these guys and he doesn't come across as nearly as stuck up as Hoffman. There's a place for both and Ron can even print them out. Yes we still do that. Some places do that. Some places even make you do that. It's funny that that was what threw him off, a print out of an analytic.

There's the analytic, the idea for the analytic, the code for it, the name of it, the output of it, the visualization of it, and so so much more. Trust me. I deal with so many layers of this stuff. I write books on this stuff. But what the users /the analysts see are nothing compared to what the experts (the data scientists) see. We're going back and forth with people like Ron trying to come up with something that can make a fool like QBR understandable to a layperson and expected value and stuff like that. Stuff that data scientists are defining daily based on the data sets trying to improve the team 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

That's exactly my point though. Analytics is such an uncertain word and he's on a high and mighty train saying Ron is using it wrong. I've been in other threads about why I don't place analytics above scouts. They don't know the game, they just know numbers. They don't know if Chase is limping or tweaked his hamstring or beat that LT last play but it was called back. 

Galdi talks analytics with Sharpe and a bunch of these guys and he doesn't come across as nearly as stuck up as Hoffman. There's a place for both and Ron can even print them out. Yes we still do that. Some places do that. Some places even make you do that. It's funny that that was what threw him off, a print out of an analytic.

There's the analytic, the idea for the analytic, the code for it, the name of it, the output of it, the visualization of it, and so so much more. Trust me. I deal with so many layers of this stuff. I write books on this stuff. But what the users /the analysts see are nothing compared to what the experts (the data scientists) see. We're going back and forth with people like Ron trying to come up with something that can make a fool like QBR understandable to a layperson and expected value and stuff like that. Stuff that data scientists are defining daily based on the data sets trying to improve the team 

Yeah, we just disagree here. When Craig talks analytics talked analytics with Logan Paulsen or when he talks it for NBA. It makes a lot of sense. Also, Ron when using the word sounds stupid because it's not his thing. Sports science for Ron just isn't a thing for him. It's not just doing x because the numbers tell you that when you do, y happens z% of the time. It's like you said, layered. Not just game day stuff. Player development and conditioning. All use this stuff now. 

I don't feel the high and mighty from Craig. I feel it's very facts and numbers backed. It's the stuff Josh Harris stressed during his intro conference. I think guys like Galdi and Craig will be able to talk about what a future front office and coaching staff are doing. 

• Thanks 1

I feel like if I ever met Craig, it would be just to listen to him because the moment I spoke he would just talk over me or tell me I'm wrong. Same for most of the other hosts, but when it comes to some of the things I'm passionate about like analytics it's like, this is something I can actually lecture them on. Literally. 

Ron and Craig are both non data scientists talking about it like they know the ins and outs of it. Actually Ron isn't. He's speaking like a non expert. Craig is trying to school him like a snobby radio host for having a printout. That makes me not want to have a conversation with him. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I feel like if I ever met Craig, it would be just to listen to him because the moment I spoke he would just talk over me or tell me I'm wrong. Same for most of the other hosts, but when it comes to some of the things I'm passionate about like analytics it's like, this is something I can actually lecture them on. Literally. 

Ron and Craig are both non data scientists talking about it like they know the ins and outs of it. Actually Ron isn't. He's speaking like a non expert. Craig is trying to school him like a snobby radio host for having a printout. That makes me not want to have a conversation with him. 

🤷 

OK, then. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 12:34 PM, Thinking Skins said:

But there are degrees of knowledge on a subject. I'm not a data scientist, but my company and teams spend plenty of time working in data analytics. That makes me MORE of an expert than Ron based on what I've heard him spew out. I wouldn't try to "school" Ron because I don't care enough, but if I felt the need to do so, I could. Not being smarter than YOU in the topic doesn't mean I don't have the right to lecture a football coach who claims to use said topic. 

It's like when you're at a sports bar or Super Bowl party and some jackass says something stupid about football like he knows his ****. We aren't Bill Belichick, but we feel plenty comfortable correcting him that, no, they shouldn't have brought in their backup QB with 12:43 left in the first quarter. 

18 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But there are degrees of knowledge on a subject. I'm not a data scientist, but my company and teams spend plenty of time working in data analytics. That makes me MORE of an expert than Ron based on what I've heard him spew out. I wouldn't try to "school" Ron because I don't care enough, but if I felt the need to do so, I could. Not being smarter than YOU in the topic doesn't mean I don't have the right to lecture a football coach who claims to use said topic. 

It's like when you're at a sports bar or Super Bowl party and some jackass says something stupid about football like he knows his ****. We aren't Bill Belichick, but we feel plenty comfortable correcting him that, no, they shouldn't have brought in their backup QB with 12:43 left in the first quarter. 

touche 

Was flying back from out of town during a chunk of the game. So, i get back to my car and go to check out the postgame thinking "I wonder who hosts them this year. Maybe Logan Paulsen who has been doing a great job with analysis."

Nope Doc Walker talking about player paychecks and how in 3 weeks he'll move in from Wylie. No analysis. No nothing. Just talk about expecting better. Toughness. Heart. Vagueness. 

You know what Doc? Here's a mirror. You've done this media thing for 30 years and you don't know guys names or anything about offensive/defensive strategies? ****ing garbage. We deserve better. Then I flip to 100.3 and it's Scott Jackson and Smoot. Jackson trying lobbing the easiest things to get Smoot to stay on track, but he's always going to goofy southern phrases. 

How about one post-game radio show for fans who want smart analysis? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Didn't Sheehan and Galdi used to do postgame shows in the past?

I dunno.....agree that Doc's act has worn thin....listening to him **** after every play during a preseason game in 2022 was exhausting. But I agreed with the point he made at the beginning of the show today that the minimal amount, if any, time these starters get in preseason does seem to hurt the September product.

I think expectations were probably too high among the fanbase after the sale to Harris, even against a garbage AZ team, and considering that Howell was making his first real start. Thinking we were going to completely roll these guys was too ambitious.

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Was flying back from out of town during a chunk of the game. So, i get back to my car and go to check out the postgame thinking "I wonder who hosts them this year. Maybe Logan Paulsen who has been doing a great job with analysis."

Nope Doc Walker talking about player paychecks and how in 3 weeks he'll move in from Wylie. No analysis. No nothing. Just talk about expecting better. Toughness. Heart. Vagueness. 

You know what Doc? Here's a mirror. You've done this media thing for 30 years and you don't know guys names or anything about offensive/defensive strategies? ****ing garbage. We deserve better. Then I flip to 100.3 and it's Scott Jackson and Smoot. Jackson trying lobbing the easiest things to get Smoot to stay on track, but he's always going to goofy southern phrases. 

Try the Gutmans on the Richmond station if you can access that

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Sheehan did pregame and galdi did postgame 

They made appearances as guest for each other

and they should be back in those roles 

Edited by tshile

22 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I dunno.....agree that Doc's act has worn thin....listening to him **** after every play during a preseason game in 2022 was exhausting. But I agreed with the point he made at the beginning of the show today that the minimal amount, if any, time these starters get in preseason does seem to hurt the September product.

I think expectations were probably too high among the fanbase after the sale to Harris, even against a garbage AZ team, and considering that Howell was making his first real start. Thinking we were going to completely roll these guys was too ambitious.

They don't even seem to be selling ads for the postgame show either. The segment I listened to only played PSAs during the commercial break. Was a brutal listen (both the actual post-game show and the "ads")

Edited by skinswillwin06

We should do a draft of all the current and recent/former sportstalk voices in town and see who goes where.

Anywho - This AM I had an early appointment, jump in the car and they have the Junkies on both 106.7 and 980. Haven't listened to them in 15+ years more than a few min. I still don't get how 4 guys who talk over each other, have a current following. I'm not even sure of the topic. I think they one of them said Howell won't be QB next year, and another said it was too early to guess that, but also that Sam probably would be the starter next year. So, the first guy goes nuts that it's too early to guess that too? I don't know.

Got back in the car around 8:45, and they just had Howard Eskin on and they were talking about how the fans here hate when they do that, but they do it because he has a shtick to piss off DC fans. Then one of they talks about taking a dump while talking to someone in the bathroom about that interview.

That's the best we can have for morning drive? Jesus, I'm such a hater.

297.png

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

It warms my heart to see someone call out know it all Paulsen 🙆‍♂️

I took that the other way.

It's pathetic how soft RG3 is that he had to clap back at Grant ****ing Paulsen.

He is such a god damn tool who has to make EVERYTHING about him, including that clip that Paulsen posted.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1