Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Yeah, I found it weird that Paul is assigned the role of managing the show. He's better off in Reid's role, while Reid barely says anything in that current role...and when he does speak, it's rarely anything positive unless it's about himself. 

Sounds like LaVar all over again...

Chris Paul is a basketball player. He is not a radio host.

Other than Kornheiser and sheehan the sports scene on the radio in this city is terrible. Don't waste your time people.

IDK, I like Cooley & Czabe. Although it gets annoying when they start talking over each other. Cooley's especially bad about interrupting and then Czabe starts to sound like an old curmudgeon.

I was late to the show this morning. Turned it on about 8am, just in time to catch Chris Paul's Fresh Prince what happened rap. I lasted five minutes after that. They started to blame everything on Race. I am sorry what does race have to do with it. It had to do with Reid being an ass-clown.

I was late to the show this morning. Turned it on about 8am, just in time to catch Chris Paul's Fresh Prince what happened rap. I lasted five minutes after that. They started to blame everything on Race. I am sorry what does race have to do with it. It had to do with Reid being an ass-clown.

What are you talking about? Blaming what on race?

Sounds like LaVar all over again...

Lavar Arrington interviewing a guest:

Lavar: Let me ask you, since the NFL has changed over the years especially since I played the game, and as you know the powers that be are determined to keep the status quo, given that the Washington Redskins organization has been stuck in the doldrums since I left the organization after giving my heart and soul to the team, is there a possibility that, once a winning tradition is re-established like a chess game, which incidentally I enjoy playing, after changes to the organization, personal, coaches, and what have you, back to the promise of winning such as when I was an All American at Penn State, which I remind you  earned the nickname Linebacker U, do you feel that, with such changes vis-à-vis the Washington Redskins football team, sham-alama ding dong?

Guest: Uh, was there a question buried in there?

He is just about unlistenable on the radio

• Like 2

Lavar Arrington interviewing a guest:

Lavar: Let me ask you, since the NFL has changed over the years especially since I played the game, and as you know the powers that be are determined to keep the status quo, given that the Washington Redskins organization has been stuck in the doldrums since I left the organization after giving my heart and soul to the team, is there a possibility that, once a winning tradition is re-established like a chess game, which incidentally I enjoy playing, after changes to the organization, personal, coaches, and what have you, back to the promise of winning such as when I was an All American at Penn State, which I remind you  earned the nickname Linebacker U, do you feel that, with such changes vis-à-vis the Washington Redskins football team, sham-alama ding dong?

Guest: Uh, was there a question buried in there?

He is just about unlistenable on the radio

There are plenty of ex footballers with giant egos and unpleasant personalities ... but they wisely don't choose to host a radio show.

I only listened during my commute to work yesterday, which took an hour. So I think I deserve an Iron Man award...something. Anyway, despite my dislike for Reid I would've given him props if he was good at this. He is not. And maybe no one is good their first time hosting a talk show, but I just don't think he has the personality for this. Reid was very dry, and IMO, a robot for most of the show. The only time it seemed like he would speak more than five words at a time was when he's talking about a famous athlete/coach he knows personally, or to diss someone in the Redskins organization. 

• 2 weeks later...

Stuck in the car this AM for an unusual morning commute.

Just Andy and Reid today. Missed the start of the topic of why Reid isn't a fan of any teams when he's not working. Talked about being a Yankess/Giants/Sixers/Dodgers/USC fan as a kid. Kept saying "story you don't like the answer" and "this has been my career since 19".

Just an awful awful segment.

• 3 months later...

Jason Reid.

He can kill a segment either asking one question or stating one opinion. Without anyone even saying a word.

Chris Paul: "Welcome back my burgundy and gold brothers, let's get some knowledge on the Redskins roster from my man, non other than the co-host of the MAN CAVE here on ESPN980, JReid."

Jason Reid: "Thanks Chris. Based on what I've seen, and I've been around for a while and have spoken to just about everyone that has ventured through the Park, both coaches and players -past and present, mind you- there are enough challenges with just being a member of this franchise, from the owner and all of the goings on that entail dealing with the ego that goes along with the owner, to the President, who has no business being involved in the operational side of a football operation and who until he hired Scot McCloughan was responsible for building the roster -and we haven't even gotten to the head coach yet, who is the most important member, both game day and in prepping for the game, in Jay Gruden who very clearly appeared to be way in over his head last year, what with losing all of those challenges, to starting Griffin -and there is plenty to discuss in breaking down his play, and whether he deserved to have his fifth year option picked up or should he start this season- but Gruden appeared lost on the sideline, and Haslett was dealt a bum hand, as our beat reporter here at 980 has been covering in detail, Chris Russell has the Haslett angle covered but let me say the injuries and lack of attention to the roster by Bruce have hamstrung him to an extent. And that takes us to..."

Chris Paul: "And that, ladies and gentlemen, is some SERIOUS KNOWLEDGE. Time for a break. When we come back, all things entertainment with Miss..."

• Like 3

The ratings are for July. Which is pretty much the least active month of the year for sports. I'm not terribly surprised a sports talk dedicated station sinks in the ratings in July. Especially one that focuses so much on the Redskins, a team that hasn't played in 7 months.

I wish they'd show the breakdowns by show.

I took it as they have fallen to a new low all-time. Or in many years. Not just for the year, or that wouldn't be a story.

I mean, Tony K has been gone for a few weeks now. So, that's a hit. They didn't have something specific taking its place. Just Andy filling in. They could have put together a daily baseball shot for 2 hours.

Then you have the Man Cave....awful. You have Loverro who has become a cartoon of himself. You have a Doc Walker who hasn't evolved into a better interviewer or grown his knowledge of other sports it seems.

I think the station should have some sweeping changes ready for the start of fall. The guys that are getting it on, mix that up. Then bring in some other talent.

In the past 6 months my listening of 980 has dropped from maybe 3-4 hours a day, to 30 min and I don't feel like I missed any great interview or insight. 

• Like 1

I'm not huge fans of people like Skip Bayless, Thom Lovarro, Czabe, Chad Dukes, The Junkies (at times), SAS, or even Diana Russini...but the one thing I'll NEVER say is that I could do their jobs better than they could.  Reid, on the other hand, I'm sure I could. 

I've read some of Reid's stuff in the Post.  I've read some of your posts here.   I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE that I'd rather read an ES post by RonArtest15 than anything by Reid ever.   

Well, ok, one exception to that rule is that if JReid wrote an open letter to the public stating that he is becoming a complete recluse and is resigning from all media forever.  I'd read that.

Your posts, depending on the topic at hand, are informative or are arguments with sound reasoning involved and you pull it off with attention retaining wit and style.   And  with the brevity that messageboarding best practices requires.

In sum, as I'm reading a through a topic and the RonArtest15 nic rolls up the screen I never just scroll past.   Damn straight you're better at thinking and expressing those thoughts than JReid. 

AND that I know of, you don't even get paid to post here.

velocet

Edited by velocet
  • Like 1

As camp approaches and my football cravings begin in earnest,, i can't even stay with them for five minutes.

I tried. i really did.

I turned on some AM station out of Pokomoke and listened to NBC sports.

I am REALLY REALLY hoping that they are not on the morning after the game.

PLEASE.

In all honesty,   with all the losses it gets harder to stay interested enough to want to listen to the Monday bash-fest as it is.
if it's Reid..  i really don't think i can tune in. One more reason to drive me to apathy.

~Bang

• Like 3

I'll add this. The programming needs to be better. Meaning if you let them talk about the Skins the whole 2 hours because its easy and because nobody on the air has done their research on the Nats lineup tonight or the trade. Then of course the topic (like it was tonight for the 10 min I just drove) would be "Who has Dan Snyder's ear?". Didn't even sound like Cooley or Al cared about the topic.

But their news update was about Papelbon. They really should just table the filler for later and talk about what just happened. 

Guys, this is typical DC sports radio. All they do is talk about the Redskins. I don't know about you but I gave up on the radio a long, long time ago. I don't want to turn on the radio and listen to some goofball hacks bash my sports teams that I love. 

980 is bad because of lack of talent. 1067 isn't that much better. Grant and Danny, the so called "best" talk show in the DC area, can't even go a minute without talking about the Redskins. 

Finding good talk shows in this city is so difficult it's not even possible. It's because the hosts are talentless hacks, or they have nothing positive to say at all. Everything they stir is for ratings. 

Edited by ixcuincle

I don't mind that they talk about the Redskins, JUST BE ACCURATE WITH YOUR OPINIONS, whether it be praise or criticism. I don't know how many times I've had to turn the Man Cave or The Junkies off because they said something clearly inaccurate about the team, and no one was knowledgeable enough at their ****ing job to correct it. 

How many times a week is Man Cave going to discuss whether the criticism of RG3 is warranted? I guess Reid is waiting for the majority of the callers to stop disagreeing with him.