Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Ugh, Loverro is the worst.

Lets analyze this tweet and determine why this motivational quotation proves Robert Griffin is the worst and most selfish person in the NFL.

Again.

~Bang

seems to be an issue with much of sports radio in general here. i remember a few years ago, devin thomas was released by the redskins. instead of believing he was released cuz he couldnt play, lavar and dukes went on a bizarre conspiracy rant. i cant recall their specific claims, but it was something along the lines of 'how could they release such a great player, ....there must be some evil snyder buffoonery at work here'.

crazy stuff.

but, yes, much of 980s time, in particular, is spent picking apart seemingly benign quotes and basing days worth of broadcasts around the faulty conclusions.

and dont get me started on sheehan and his love of shanahan, who flat out told him dan wasnt involved in picking the players, but sheehans convinced otherwise. 

Loverro admittedly & openly roots for chaos. He's the reason I stopped listening to that show. Sheehan is usually reasonable on most topics, but Loverro's nasally pitched ****ing is not worthy of my time

He's not even a DC sports fan.

He had a bit the other day where he said if you didn't watch the nats game on Sunday against the dodgers you aren't a DC sports fan.

Nothing like someone who's not a DC sports fan, telling everyone else whether they are or not.

He's just bitter his favorite sport (baseball) isn't the favorite of everyone like it used to be. He roots for chaos because he doesn't give two ****s about anything related to DC, other than his paychecks.

Him having a halftime bit for the redskins at the stadium irritates the **** out of me.

Loverro is that clown everyone knows who thinks he's being esoteric when discussing sports by bringing up guys from the 40s and 50s as if they're relevant to the modern day. 

I don't read him, but if he's winning all these awards writing with the same attitude and bouts of idiocy he suffers from on the radio, then sports journalism has fallen WAY off the planet.

tiresome, stale act.

~Bang

Loverro is that clown everyone knows who thinks he's being esoteric when discussing sports by bringing up guys from the 40s and 50s as if they're relevant to the modern day. 

I don't read him, but if he's winning all these awards writing with the same attitude and bouts of idiocy he suffers from on the radio, then sports journalism has fallen WAY off the planet.

tiresome, stale act.

~Bang

You should read his articles, just to see what he's winning awards for.

To take a step back, I actually like Lovero generally as a person, I'm just not a huge baseball fan so I don't relate to him real well with his favorite sport. His real favorite is boxing I believe, but as I grew up boxing was pretty much dead. But I actually generally respect his opinion, and I like when people actually have a real, working history with sports and know things from the 50's, 60's and 70's not becuase it was on some list they read but because they actually know the material

But... back to his writing awards...

His writing style is... terrible. I have no idea how he's winning awards. I'd say a good portion of the regular ES posters show better writing style in their forum posts than he shows in his articles. I could only imagine if you compared some of the ES posters that write professionally (law, technical writing, journalism, novels, etc) to his, I'd bet money his writing wouldn't come close...

But generally I don't mind him, there' just things he does that irritates me. Like doing half time shows at redskins games, or telling DC fans what's wrong with them as if he has any authority on the subject. His rooting for chaos and pot stirring drives me nuts too.

I bet when he takes his clown shoes off and gets out of the radio studio he's actually fun to have a beer and cigar with.

Was just in the car. Had it on wjfk from the Nats earlier. So, who is hosting a show? Chris ****ing Russell. Really? Is this the minors? Is there that much of a shortage of sportstalk hosts that dumpster diving was the move?

Apparently he's a part of Chad Dukes show now

Let Bram know on twitter that you'd listen to a DC focused podcast if he put one out.

Why not? All right.. Give me a week and I'll start recording. Tell your friends.. twitter.com/skinsgoldpants…

@BramESPN A podcast or a live stream a few times a week. I would listen also. Hell, if you live in this area, I'd come help you out for free

You know what I've honestly railed on this time and time before but a DC-centric podcast talking about all things DC Sports would be infintely better than a regular radio program. For the life of me I still refuse to see how people can still listen to AM radio and adjust their sets listening to staticy radio, terrible callers, attention seeking hosts, and all the commercial breaks. I couldn't do that for four hours. I don't have the time anymore. 

A DC podcast would cram all that stuff that Danny and Grant do in 4 hours into one. Plus less commercial breaks. 

Edited by ixcuincle

Problem i'm finding with most podcasts is that many of the hosts are unlistenable.. no personality.. or an over-done personality. Talking all over each other.. microphones so close to pick up every saliva smack.

I've listened to a bunch that were recommended to me this week, and barely any of them were something i'm compelled to go back to.

Some of the professionally produced things I liked, but others.. ouch.

Now, if  Bram did one, i'd listen.

~Bang

• Like 1

So, I've been messaging with Bram some more. He is looking into different options to step this up without having to rely on business sponsoring. Something that is fan driven. So, might be a cheap subscription this. Like $.25 to $1.00 a month. I'd like to think we have some savvy ES members who are dying for something new and would help support/push this with me via social media.

• Like 1

Gawd,, i tried AGAIN today.

Five minutes into picking Scott McCloughan apart over signing Gallette i quit again.

i can't take it. It's like TMZ, gossip mongering CRAP.

Literally, started in on him stuttering on his first word of an answer. Stuttering.

Made a bunch of analysis of a ..25 second stutter.

How's camp going?" How'd Gallette practice? How's griffin look? How about the cornerback position, just took a big hit. be nice to listen to some news and analysis  of what is going on out at camp.

Nope.. let's do our stupid ****ing gossip nitpickery on a press conference, decide what a STUTTER means, and hammer him for it.

**** it. i'm out. 

This morning after over a decade of resistance, i priced out and am most likely going to buy Sirius XM.

(actually, i AM going to buy it. I just have to get some specs for my car first.)

So congratulations WTEM.

you drove me to the competition, and THEY suck. 

So now because no one in this city seems to have the slightest ****ing idea how to run a sports radio station to the point of giving us even barely listenable content, I have decided to buy something that I can also literally pluck out of the air for free.

I have a 15 minute commute. That's all. And those two guys on in the morning are SO BAD that I will pay 15 bucks or more per month JUST FOR THOSE 15 MINUTES.

(Oh, and those two PLUS Andy Pollin is the Super trifecta of SUCK. the fact that they will be my first thing monday postgame show..  another major factor in driving me to buy something i can get for free.

Do you realize that, DC Sports radio?
I have decided to PAY for something that YOU offer for FREE. Be sure and let your advertisers know.  You know,, the Kars for Kids ****, and the "Hey, you didn't pay your taxes or your credit card bills so now here's how you can get even further into debt with Alan Thicke."..  not to be outdone by the "lose weight get laid and make money without doing anything" crap.

(WTEM, did you ever notice no serious advertisers are on your station?)

I am tired of it.. really have had it. What serves as "Sports Talk" in this town is embarrassing. Unlistenable. Completely.

I will drive in silence first. Like I did this morning,, wishing like hell that SOMEONE would discuss camp issues. Like who is practicing well, who looks rusty..  not "Oh, listen to how Scott STUTTERED when asked a question about Gallette. This clearly means he's lying, hiding, nervous, blahblahblah."

****ing washerwomen, gossiping by the back fence.

Terrible.

Again, congratulations DC Sports Radio. i never thought i'd ever pay for radio.

But thanks to you and the **** you put out, I'm going to.

Happily.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 5

yeah, i turned it on on my way into work. Now that training camp is in full swin g I thought I'd listen.

I lasted about 2 minutes.

I don't know if it's the producer, if personalities don't mix, if it's really just that jason reid is awful, or what. But when the whole package comes together I just do not like what I'm listening to.

• Like 1