Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 3/18/2018 at 12:24 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I like Holland as Spider-Man and I like that he’s still a kid in high school. I’m glad they skipped the origin as well and enjoyed that the movie was grounded with smaller stakes. 

The movie was unquestionably entertaining and good. My only two problems with it are that I like Spider-Man alone. He’s a big enough and exciting enough character that he doesn’t need the  Avengers in his movies. I want Spider-Man alone dealing with his own stuff. 

The secong and biggest problem is that he basically had an iron man suit, not a Spider-Man suit. He’s got computer systems talking to him, weapons systems, missiles etc. I mean that’s all bull****. Peter Parker is a genius and designs his own web shooters, suits and any tech involved. He doesnt need tony stark Holding his hand thru everything, giving him suits and tech etc. it cheapens the Spider-Man character. That suit was beyond ridiculous 

They just followed the comic a bit there. During the Civil War storyline, Peter kind of became Stark’s protege and he did make him a spider suit that was similar to the one in the movie, just uglier. 

• Like 2

I finished the second season of Jessica jones. I kinda sorta liked the first season, but I really hated this second one. I didn’t like the change in personality they did for Patsy. I couldn’t care less about Jessica’s one-dimensional assistant. And the mom...ugh. I was just annoyed with all of it. I was really hoping the second season would actually borrow another Jessica Jones storyline from the comic. Something from the Pulse or Alias series would’ve been nice. 

At this point, they need to just go ahead and have Luke in the third season. There are very good, mature stories they can do with her and they would work a lot better than what they just came up with. 

In regards to Marvel tv shows overall, I like Agents of Shield. I’m a fan of Whedon, so unlike Steve I was a huge Buffy fan back in the day. The dialogue is very much like that show, which I enjoy. The Netflix shows have been hit or miss though, and I’ve yet to see a good second season IMO. I hope Luke Cage and Punisher’s second seasons break the streak. 

As far as Spider-Man deferring to the Avengers and being an Avenger. All of that is very much how he’s been written in the comics all of this century. Even as a grown man, married to Mary Jane, he deferred to Stark and kinda paid a price for it. I’m sure if Marvel Studios had control of all of their properties we would be just hearing about the Avengers and many people wouldn’t even know who Iron Man. They would’ve pushed their more popular brands at the time, which was Spider-Man and the X-Men. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 9:07 PM, Warhead36 said:

They also absolutely nailed the casting of Iron Man with Robert Downey Jr. Say what you will about Marvel movies but they always get the absolute perfect actors for the right hero roles.

I agree. Tony Stark fits RDJ like a well-tailored suit.

I'll go further and mention all the other excellent casting choices for the MCU.

Chris Evans as Captain America

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Tom Hiddleston as Loki

Tom Holland as Peter Parker

Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanov/Black Widow

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk

Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye

Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa

Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange

IMO these actors really stood out and made the characters their own to the point where it's impossible to not see their faces when thinking about their hero counter-parts. I understand not all MCU movies were created equal. Some where duds, but you can't deny that MCU pretty much hit on every casting choice.

On the other hand, the one casting choice that sticks out out being pretty "meh" is Elizabeth Olson as Scarlett Witch. Pretty uninspiring performance, IMO.

Edited by Rogue Jedi

18 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

I'll go further and mention all the other excellent casting choices for the MCU.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Tom Hiddleston as Loki

Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye

IMO these actors really stood out and made the characters their own to the point where it's impossible to not see their faces when thinking about their hero counter-parts. I understand not all MCU movies were created equal. Some where duds, but you can't deny that MCU pretty much hit on every casting choice.

On the other hand, the one casting choice that sticks out out being pretty "meh" is Kaitlin Olson as Scarlett Witch. Pretty uninspiring performance, IMO.

Even lesser characters are cast well such as William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross, Gary Shandling as a politician, Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer, and Robert Redford as the head of Hydra.

• Like 4

Oh, I think Loki really made a lot of the movies.  

And Michael Keaton as Creepy Vulture Guy.  :) 

I have no clue if these people are at all like the comic books.  Just know that I think they really added a lot to their movies.  

2 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Tom Hiddleston as Loki

Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye

On the other hand, the one casting choice that sticks out out being pretty "meh" is Kaitlin Olson as Scarlett Witch. Pretty uninspiring performance, IMO.

Chris Hemsworth is not a great choice as Thor. It's really not that he's that bad, its just that the core Avengers (RDJ, Evan, Ruffalo, and Johanssen) are so good they make Hemswroth seem dull in comparison. He has a weak screen presence in comparison to the other Avengers. 

Elizabeth Olsen OTOH is pretty awesome as Scarlett Witch. She is so good looking that Scarlet Johanssen looks old in comparison.  

Yeah I really like Hiddleston as Loki. To me, the sort of dullness of Thor is offset by the magnetic presence of Hiddleston's Loki.

I also would put Keaton's Vulture runner up in the MCU. I hope that post credits scene (that I really haven't put together all that well yet, in my head) has something to do with the Sinister Six, or the storyline where he steals Parker's youth. But that may not be the plan, as this version of Vulture is more middle age-ish  than an old wrinkly man like in the comics.

Either way, I hope they aren't done with him yet.

I'm not gonna get too excited though. Last time, I stalked IMDB for like a year and a half back in hs when the Symbiote Spider-Man costume teaser poster dropped for 3, and of course, the movie tanked in every way imaginable, ruining my dream storyline.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So I guess I'll go ahead and be "That guy," and say that while I like the illustration, I abhor the decision to not don all the characters in their iconic helmets and masks. Feels like more "Here are our actors" than "Here are your superheroes."

I get what you're saying (and I would prefer headgear as well), but it's all about advertising, marketing, actor contracts, percentage of time in film "masked", etc. We're stuck with it at this point. Names and billing.

For example, Chris Hemsworth as Thor needed all of the face time he could possibly get due to the weakness of Thor as a franchise/property/product (prior to Ragnarok). Thus he never had a helmet. Even the helmet in Ragnarok was bare minimum in design.

But damn, I don't think anyone can argue that Cap/Chris Evans looks badass as bearded Nomad.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2018 at 7:28 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

^ See? Basically Dracula...

Like I said, homie reads a lot. 

Confession: @stevemcqueen1 has me beat in actually reading comic books, a lot of you probably do.  Majority of what I know about these characters and their histories from a comic book perspective is youtube and wikipedia.  Some of you probably have have more comics books under one of your tables to keep it balance then I've had a chance to read in my entire life (I'll probably never catch up with some of ya'll). 

I do believe the comics I have read and the large amount of cartoons and movies I've seen help me a lot, and I believe it should count for something considering there's been so many different takes and perspectives on these characters over the last several decades that you almost have to do your research to make sense of it all.

Edit: There are some I really want to read, like Carnage USA.

Edited by Renegade7

The only universe I'm at least semi knowledgeable about from a Marvel comic perspective is Spider-Man and X-Men (and even for them, it was largely the Uncanny X-Men, where my namesake was first introduced). Everyone else I came to know of largely through their interactions with characters in  those two universes.

I mean we're talking like 60-70 years worth of storylines/alternate timelines in some cases, so I think it's fairly normal to not be all that knowledgeable overall, unless you're in the biz, or are just a tried and true devoted and veteran comic book nerd.

I largely stopped reading around 11-12, but they kept going, adding more plots and more characters. Pretty hard to follow everything in that vein, unless you also follow other forms of media like movies, tv, etc, which I also did back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Some of you probably have have more comics books under one of your tables to keep it balance then I've had a chance to read in my entire life (I'll probably never catch up with some of ya'll).

I haven't read that many comics past the early 80's.  I got a big box full of late 70's to early 90's Marvel comics from my dad, so that's what I grew up on.  The only comics I buy are just some sporadic issues from runs here and there that I thought looked interesting and I picked up for dirt cheap at comic cons.

The vast majority of what I have are these massive torrent files of the old silver age runs of Fantastic Four, X-Men, Avengers, etc. that I got back in like 2010 during the hey-day of torrenting.  I just read them on my tablet.  That's how I've read all of those old runs.  That's my favorite era because Stan Lee is my favorite writer by far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah I really like Hiddleston as Loki. To me, the sort of dullness of Thor is offset by the magnetic presence of Hiddleston's Loki.

I was praying that Lucasfilm would cast Hiddleston as a Sith Lord in Star Wars. Can you imagine how awesome that would have been?

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It’s a substantial improvement. I don’t think anyone can take Cap seriously with that goofy stupid looking helmet thing he wears with ear holes and a chin strap 

What? That's Caps look, for better or worse.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

What? That's Caps look, for better or worse.

Well it’s ridiculous. I can get on board with the suit but the helmet has always been straight cheese. It’s not even protective,  it’s like 1950s nfl leather helmet. He’s augmeted surely he doesn’t need that thing unless it’s somehow stopping bullets which it isn’t 

• Sad 1