Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I dont really care about this merger until I start seeing Disney ruin properties or stifle creativity.  People were predicting gloom and doom when they bought Marvel and Lucasfilm, so far, they've knocked those out of the park.  

I get the reticence to one corp amassing so much power, but I'm cautiously optimistic it wont be the end of the world.  And media has been this way for a while, people just dont realize it.  Everything in the entertainment industry goes back to a few companies once you follow the trail.

Since this is a Marvel thread, as it pertains to them specifically, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with all these characters.  I liked X-Men at Fox, didnt love it, and I felt the franchise was inconsistent and kinda running on fumes.  

I dont wanna see Deadpool anywher near the MCU though.  He can be in his movies, off to the side, doing his thing, but Deadpool crossing over into the main MCU stories and breaking the 4th wall is not a good idea.  

Fantastic Four just needs to die.  I dont care about that at all anymore.  Stop trying to make FF happen.

7 minutes ago, HooHog said:

I really hope we get a stand-alone Silver Surfer movie.  Far and away my favorite comic book character.

When I got to interview Stan Lee this summer, still geeked about that, he said Silver Surfer was his favorite too. He said he liked him because it was the one character that allowed him to drop a little philosophy into his dialogue.

• Like 2

The Silver Surfer that Stan Lee wrote was an overpowered, aloof neophyte who was a vehicle for Stan Lee to offer a direct critique the violence of Cold War geopolitics and an indirect critique of the naivete of hippies/peaceniks and their unrealistic solutions.  Silver Surfer was much more of a concept than a character, that's why I didn't really enjoy him.  He was one dimensional.

Nevertheless, he was super popular at the time.  Perhaps the most or second most popular character in the Marvel universe in the mid 60's with the Thing being the other contender.  America was going through this huge surfing fad.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Fantastic Four just needs to die.  I dont care about that at all anymore.  Stop trying to make FF happen.

It's Marvel's marquee comic book.  The Stan Lee-Jack Kirby run is the greatest in comic book history.  It featured the best work by the best writer that Marvel's ever had and created both Marvel and the modern comic book.  Disney needs to give FF to Marvel Studios and have Feige find the best writer and best director to take the property over and make a true showcase film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Silver Surfer that Stan Lee wrote was an overpowered, aloof neophyte who was a vehicle for Stan Lee to offer a direct critique the violence of Cold War geopolitics and an indirect critique of the naivete of hippies/peaceniks and their unrealistic solutions.  Silver Surfer was much more of a concept than a character, that's why I didn't really enjoy him.  He was one dimensional.

Nevertheless, he was super popular at the time.  Perhaps the most or second most popular character in the Marvel universe in the mid 60's with the Thing being the other contender.  America was going through this huge surfing fad.

I never read the old SS comics, but I was a fan for a short while in the early 90's. I loved Ron Lim SS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zguy28 said:

I never read the old SS comics, but I was a fan for a short while in the early 90's. I loved Ron Lim SS.

I never read those comics, only the Silver Age ones.  He was a very important recurring character but he was very much secondary to the members of the FF, who were each fully developed characters.

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Vision.

True. But, and this may be just me, I've never really liked the Vision character and always seemed to dismiss him when I've thought of a superhero with this power set. In my eyes, this person would only be susceptible to mental attacks by telepaths like Jean Grey or Xavier. I've seen too many times where Vision has been defeated by the most random villains and attacks. I know that is also the product of bad writing, which I feel Iceman has suffered from as well(dude is seriously one of the most powerful X-Men and could end nearly every fight within seconds but nearly all X-Men writers nerf him or give him some issue he's dealing with that prevents him from showing his full potential /endrant). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I must've missed those story arcs. I was big fan of SS in the '90's. Back when he fought Terrax, got his ass kicked by Morg, and then recruited all of Galactus' former heralds to take Morg down. Yeah, he was reaallly overpowered though. So much so, that his crossover potential with other books was limited. I recall the FF and New Warriors having a crossover when Terrax came to Earth. Terrax held his own against two groups of superheroes and the only way they won was they had to call SS to come in and defeat Terrax in 5 seconds and drag him off Earth. 

12 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Yes! This is the SS I remember, and the art direction shiny look was a lot better as well. 

8 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

True. But, and this may be just me, I've never really liked the Vision character and always seemed to dismiss him when I've thought of a superhero with this power set. In my eyes, this person would only be susceptible to mental attacks by telepaths like Jean Grey or Xavier. I've seen too many times where Vision has been defeated by the most random villains and attacks. I know that is also the product of bad writing, which I feel Iceman has suffered from as well(dude is seriously one of the most powerful X-Men and could end nearly every fight within seconds but nearly all X-Men writers nerf him or give him some issue he's dealing with that prevents him from showing his full potential /endrant). 

Yeah I didn't really like him either.  He had some good story lines in his first run in the Avengers in the late 60's and early 70's but his character was kind of annoying.  Felt like every he would explain his powers to his opponents in the middle of fights every single issue.  Kind of clumsily written by Roy Thomas, who didn't really want to do an Android character and was never really sold on him IMO.  The red skin was them settling on a look because they couldn't print him with a spectral look (that would have made a lot more sense) at the time.  I love Spock and Data, Vision felt a little bit like an off-brand version of them.  Plus he was kind of overpowered in those early Avengers comics and he replaced my favorite Avenger from that era--Hank Pym.  It just felt like Marvel's heart wasn't really in the character.

11 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I must've missed those story arcs. I was big fan of SS in the '90's. Back when he fought Terrax, got his ass kicked by Morg, and then recruited all of Galactus' former heralds to take Morg down. Yeah, he was reaallly overpowered though. So much so, that his crossover potential with other books was limited. I recall the FF and New Warriors having a crossover when Terrax came to Earth. Terrax held his own against two groups of superheroes and the only way they won was they had to call SS to come in and defeat Terrax in 5 seconds and drag him off Earth. 

Yes! This is the SS I remember, and the art direction shiny look was a lot better as well. 

Yes, I remember SS coming to earth and encountering the Rhino. Rhino charged him and he just grabbed him by the horn and that was it.

fnf-surferrhino.jpgsilver-surfer-vs-rhino.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

He was introduced with Galactus, who was a groundbreaking invention IMO.  To make a villain an ambivalent force of nature was an amazing leap forward for the kinds of story lines that comic books would present.  SS was also central to one of my favorite arcs of the Lee/Kirby run: he got bamboozled into believing Dr Doom was a benevolent king and then Doom stole his powers and got to surf around on his board.  Doom became unstoppable and nearly conquered the world until Reed Richards essentially beat him with a technicality.  It was great.  But the SS himself was a passive participant in the arc.  Then there was another great arc where he turned heel in a misguided attempt to give humanity a common villain that would unite them.  That's what I mean about him existing primarily as a concept/object to advance plots more than as a fully realized character during Stan Lee's run.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He was introduced with Galactus, who was a groundbreaking invention IMO.  To make a villain an ambivalent force of nature was an amazing leap forward for the kinds of story lines that comic books would present.  SS was also central to one of my favorite arcs of the Lee/Kirby run: he got bamboozled into believing Dr Doom was a benevolent king and then Doom stole his powers and got to surf around on his board.  Doom became unstoppable and nearly conquered the world until Reed Richards essentially beat him with a technicality.  It was great.  But the SS himself was a passive participant in the arc.  Then there was another great arc where he turned heel in a misguided attempt to give humanity a common villain that would unite them.  That's what I mean about him existing primarily as a concept/object to advance plots more than as a fully realized character during Stan Lee's run.

That is essentially the plot to the second FF movie. Of course, FOX screwed that up though. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's Marvel's marquee comic book.  The Stan Lee-Jack Kirby run is the greatest in comic book history.  It featured the best work by the best writer that Marvel's ever had and created both Marvel and the modern comic book.  Disney needs to give FF to Marvel Studios and have Feige find the best writer and best director to take the property over and make a true showcase film.

The Lee/Kirby run was like 50-60 years ago. They've been characters stuck out of time for a while.  We can blame it on Fox if we want to, they're just not worth the hassle in 2017.  Even by the comic boom of the mid/late 80s, they weren't that big a deal anymore.

Edited by justice98

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

That is essentially the plot to the second FF movie. Of course, FOX screwed that up though. 

It was terrible because of how they mis-portrayed Galactus, the relegation of SS's power to his board, and the silly ending chase. It had potential though such as when Torch is chasing SS.

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The Lee/Kirby run was like 50-60 years ago. They've been characters stuck out of time for a while.  We can blame it on Fox if we want to, they're just not worth the hassle in 2017.  Even by the comic boom of the mid/late 80s, they weren't that big a deal anymore.

Not really true, the John Byrne FF run in the 1980's were made the comic one of the most popular Marvel had going at the time.

The FF if done well would be a great hit because at its heart its a genre crosser. It's more SF than superhero and has more character development, family dynamics than most of 'em. I do think that the FF have a cold war/early '60's feel to them, but that can work for them in the same way that Batman always has a proto-prohibition mafia feel to it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

It was terrible because of how they mis-portrayed Galactus, the relegation of SS's power to his board, and the silly ending chase. It had potential though such as when Torch is chasing SS.

Yeah, that was the best scene in the whole movie. Too bad they showed the entire thing in a trailer. How disappointed I was when the rest of the movie was awful. 

And yes, making SS’s power only come from his board was ridiculous. Galactus was some glowing space cloud? Ridiculous. Using CGI to digitally add tears to Jessica Alba’s face? Obvious and embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

The FF if done well would be a great hit because at its heart its a genre crosser. It's more SF than superhero and has more character development, family dynamics than most of 'em. I do think that the FF have a cold war/early '60's feel to them, but that can work for them in the same way that Batman always has a proto-prohibition mafia feel to it.

Well said.  And our relations with Russia are so bad right now that it feels like a Cold War setting could be relevant.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. I finally got around to watching the first season of "Iron Fist" and I actually enjoyed it.

Yeah, it wasn't great but it was far from the abomination it was portrayed to be by some pundits/fans.

Things I didn't like: 

Didn't like Colleen Wing as the love interest. That role should go to you-know-who..

Felt they "powered down" Iron Fist a bit too much. The same with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Especially the latter two.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH