Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I just saw Spiderman and really enjoyed it. The best part about it is that they don't take an hour+ to go through the whole origin of him being bit by the spider, Uncle Ben dying, etc. It kinda just takes place right after Civil War.

I still need to see Ant Man and Doctor Strange. I haven't seen Thor 2-3 or Iron Man 3 yet either.

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I just saw Spiderman and really enjoyed it. The best part about it is that they don't take an hour+ to go through the whole origin of him being bit by the spider, Uncle Ben dying, etc. It kinda just takes place right after Civil War.

I still need to see Ant Man and Doctor Strange. I haven't seen Thor 2-3 or Iron Man 3 yet either.

Good God how could you like it. Wasn't he like 15 in that movie? Most annoying movie I saw last year.

I can't take the Spiderman origin movies anymore.  To me, Spiderman 2 with Dr. Octopus was best spiderman movie ever, and probably that best superhero movie at the time until Dark Knight came out.  I'm tired of the Spiderboy nonsense, the sooner the Venom movie comes out and if its true Carnage is in it with a rated R rating, the better.

Edited by Renegade7

I like Holland as Spider-Man and I like that he’s still a kid in high school. I’m glad they skipped the origin as well and enjoyed that the movie was grounded with smaller stakes. 

The movie was unquestionably entertaining and good. My only two problems with it are that I like Spider-Man alone. He’s a big enough and exciting enough character that he doesn’t need the  Avengers in his movies. I want Spider-Man alone dealing with his own stuff. 

The secong and biggest problem is that he basically had an iron man suit, not a Spider-Man suit. He’s got computer systems talking to him, weapons systems, missiles etc. I mean that’s all bull****. Peter Parker is a genius and designs his own web shooters, suits and any tech involved. He doesnt need tony stark Holding his hand thru everything, giving him suits and tech etc. it cheapens the Spider-Man character. That suit was beyond ridiculous 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I can't take the Spiderman origin movies anymore.  To me, Spiderman 2 with Dr. Octopus was best spiderman movie ever, and probably that best superhero movie at the time until Dark Knight came out.  I'm tired of the Spiderboy nonsense, the sooner the Venom movie comes out and if its true Carnage is in it with a rated R rating, the better.

I took my young nephews to see Homecoming and they loved it and it was a nice family friendly viewing experience that we were able to share.  They like Spider-Man more than most of the rest of the constellation of Marvel Heroes.  Characters like Thor and Cap are for us grown men.  Spider-Man is a hero for the young-uns.  And that's fine.  Not everything has to be for us.  Boys are a major audience for comic book media, they should have a grade school hero with a younger perspective.  I remember how much I loved the character when I was a boy and I'm happy kids got the movie I always wanted at that age.  They did him justice in Civil War and Homecoming.

They LOVE GotG too.  I was a hater about them at first, I admit.  But now I understand the target audience and I enjoy those movies more because I see them a little more through their eyes.

• Like 1

My first movie in theaters was Superman '78 when I was 3 years old and that's my only memory from that age. My boy was already a big Spider-man fan and I took him to see Spider-man Homecoming for his 3rd birthday last year to hopefully give him the same kind of memory I had. I was nervous about taking him because he's a little chatterbox so we sat near the exit just in case. That kid's eyes were glued to the screen the entire time and he didn't say a word, even during the parts that had no action. I enjoyed watching him react to the movie more than watching the movie itself. It took his Spider-man love up several notches and any time we went to the park he had to have his Spider-man hoody so he could climb on rocks or anything else so he could pretend lol.

EvwH26n.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

To me, Spiderman 2 with Dr. Octopus was best spiderman movie ever,

"A man named Octavius grows four arms and goes on a rampage of death and destruction in Times Square.  Is this a great country or what?"  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Good God how could you like it. Wasn't he like 15 in that movie? Most annoying movie I saw last year.

Spiderman is supposed to be a teenager. He's not a grown man like the others, and the Spider Man franchise has always been a bit more lighthearted and playful than some of its Marvel counterparts.

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That's what I liked about Homecoming though. It wasn't really an origin story. He had already been bit by the spider, Uncle Ben was already dead, etc. etc. It was really a continuation of his story from Civil War.

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Spider-Man is a hero for the young-uns.  And that's fine.  Not everything has to be for us.  Boys are a major audience for comic book media, they should have a grade school hero with a younger perspective.  I remember how much I loved the character when I was a boy and I'm happy kids got the movie I always wanted at that age.  They did him justice in Civil War and Homecoming.

They LOVE GotG too.  I was a hater about them at first, I admit.  But now I understand the target audience and I enjoy those movies more because I see them a little more through their eyes.

When you put it like that, I guess I get where you're coming from in terms of target audience.  I just don't think you can have your cake and eat it too in regards to that and dealing with the symbiotes in a live action film (what you get is something similar to Venom in Spiderman 3, which did that character absolutely wrong).  But that's maybe why Venom is going to be a stand-alone film.  There was a brief comic series where symbiotes were in the process of taking over the world, that didn't seem targeted towards young-uns.  

57 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's what I liked about Homecoming though. It wasn't really an origin story. He had already been bit by the spider, Uncle Ben was already dead, etc. etc. It was really a continuation of his story from Civil War.

True, but its close enough given his age in the film that it might as well been.  I'm not really mad about them making good films that pertain to him in his younger years, I'm just ready for something new that I may never get.  I used to get up every saturday morning to put on Fox to catch Spiderman, X-Men, etc, like I imagine many of ya'll did, too, if you're around my age group.  Carnage is a top 5 comic book character to me, and he would've killed Tom Holland without even trying.

I love the current Spidey. I didn't mind Cougar Aunt May (Tomei is still absolutely yowza). I hated their Shocker angle, and I hated the cast of characters (no Harry Osborne, replaced by some doughy kid I had never heard of) the weird girl who they teased as Mary Jane, bookworm nerd Flash Thompson.

The suit didn't bother as much, considering that Spider-Man has had a host of interesting suits over the course of the comic books  anyway).

The "anybody as Shocker" thing really annoyed me though, because Shocker is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains.

Also, I had been meaning to catch up with Jessica Jones, but @stevemcqueen1 officially has me scared.

14 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It might be Dark Knight level. The adult rating will allow both characters to truly shine in the way they were meant to.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Also, I had been meaning to catch up with Jessica Jones, but @stevemcqueen1 officially has me scared.

If you like season 1, give season 2 a shot.  I enjoyed it and I think it did a better job fleshing out the characters than the first season. 

I'm not a fan of the latest Spiderman.  The actor they have playing spiderman is a good fit, but the rest however... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Spider-Man is marvels best character and he is an A+ superhero that can compete solo (among audiences, commercially etc) against the biggest mainstream characters like Batman or Superman 

thats why I don’t like him in the avengers world. His stories are best told individually 

It is weird, seeing him bow down to Iron Man, in every way possible. For me, growing up in the 90's, Iron Man was like the B-Side to Spider-Man. I knew practically nothing about him outside of he and War Machine's intertwining storylines with my favorite Marvel characters (mainly anything Spider-Man/X-Men, and of course, the Avengers. 

But I gather he was a big deal for the company back in the Cold War era.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Nobody knew who the heck Iron Man was before 2008 (hyperbole). I saw that trailer and thought it was a rocket man reboot lol. I had boxes and boxes of Spider-Man comics, watched the cartoon show, played video games and watch the X-men shows too and never even heard of Iron Man until that movie 

I get that bringing Spider-Man in so late means he has to defer to the hero’s that have been established for a decade in-universe but still. It doesn’t feel right. 

I’ll be glad when the crossover ends and Spideman does his own thing again

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Nobody knew who the heck Iron Man was before 2008.

Well no one in our age group but McQueen probably (but most of the time he talks, he sounds like a Vampire that was turned in Colonial  times, so maybe we should disregard everything he says, and view him as a complete outlier, out of touch with us true 90's kids).

I honestly thought the 2008 movie would be dumb (seeing as Iron Man was such a strange twist at the time), but all credit goes to Jr. Not many actors could have given Iron Man that kind of pop culture revival/renaissance. I doubt we'd even be talking about the Avengers, if Nicolas Cage or some other gump was given the role. Same (if you excuse the DC) kinda goes for Bale and Batman, who was on life support back in 2005, before he killed it

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It is weird, seeing him bow down to Iron Man, in every way possible. For me, growing up in the 90's, Iron Man was like the B-Side to Spider-Man.

I'll have to call artistic license on that one due to the fact Marvel Studios was able to better establish the significance on Iron Man's role in their cinematic universe before they were able to get control of Spiderman and the timing of it in regards to Civil War.  In the Spiderman universe, I always felt Iron Man was the cameo, too, not the lead, but if we're being technical in terms of cannon-timeline, their relationship in Civil War makes sense because Parker was deferring to Stark when taking his side in the Registration Law.  Did he actually formally switch sides on the issue in the movies yet?

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I get that bringing Spider-Man in so late means he has to defer to the hero’s that have been established for a decade in-universe but still. It doesn’t feel right. 

I’ll be glad when the crossover ends and Spideman does his own thing again

I totally agree with this.  Spiderman doesn't need the Avengers anymore then X-Men need JLaw to take a lead in any of their movies.  The two franchises are rich enough on their own that they don't need to make Hollywood type mistakes to make successful movies for either one.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Spiderman is supposed to be a teenager. He's not a grown man like the others, and the Spider Man franchise has always been a bit more lighthearted and playful than some of its Marvel counterparts.

I don't think people really appreciate that part. 

That's what made the casting so perfect. They didn't try to cast a grown ass man and make him play a kid for once.

Edited by justice98
  • Thanks 1

Well no one in our age group but McQueen probably (but most of the time he talks, he sounds like a Vampire that was turned in Colonial  times, so maybe we should disregard everything he says, and view him as a complete outlier, out of touch with us true 90's kids).

@stevemcqueen1  probably spends more time researching his stance on certain topics then anyone else on extremeskins (even before it comes up for debate), especially in regards to basketball.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You should watch it just to keep up with the lore, same as Iron Fist.  But it was a slog for me by episode 8.  I found myself wanting to bail on it and watch the new season of Love, but I forced myself to finish it.

I'm not very satisfied with what I view as a deterioration of quality in the Netflix Marvel shows.  They're uninspired.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@stevemcqueen1  probably spends more time researching his stance on certain topics then anyone else on extremeskins (even before it comes up for debate), especially in regards to basketball.

Definitely. Even though I always razz him on it, he is indisposable in that regard.

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You should watch it just to keep up with the lore, same as Iron Fist.  But it was a slog for me by episode 8.  I found myself wanting to bail on it and watch the new season of Love, but I forced myself to finish it.

I'm not very satisfied with what I view as a deterioration of quality in the Netflix Marvel shows.  They're uninspired.

Curiously enough, I actually enjoyed Iron Fist, once I made it past the godawful pilot. We'll see with JJ.

I have high hopes for Luke Cage and DareDevil. Even though I had some miniscule issues with Punisher, I hope it kinda resets the tone overall for them, though he seems right now to not be a part of that "Defenders" angle.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

But I gather he was a big deal for the company back in the Cold War era.

Yeah, the Invincible Iron Man was how Marvel created a lot of story lines about the conflict with Communism and he was an A-Lister in the 50's and early 60's.  He was basically Marvel's best response to Batman.  His Tony Stark persona was basically Howard Hughes, a colorful and relevant figure at the time.  Iron Man is a cultural relic of American mid-century militarism, and Marvel Studios did a superb job updating and adapting the character to the modern culture of American military-industrialism and the war on terror.  And TBH, they did a much better job of portraying and characterizing Tony Stark than Stan Lee originally did.  Stark's persona was very separate from Iron Man's, and I felt Lee did a lot more telling than showing when it comes to portraying the life of a jet-setting playboy billionaire.  Stan Lee just kind of had Stark be a likable but damaged and bitter and sarcastic figure who was constantly trying to hide his secret identity, much like Batman.

Tony Stark is almost entirely absent from the early Avengers comics, he was almost always off working in one of his factories.  Iron Man was one of the only Avengers to successfully hide his identity from the others.  And Iron Man had a very different role in those early Avengers comics than he does in the movie franchise.  He was a cool-headed peacemaker among strong and aggressive personalities.  He was the first one to handle Hulk and make peace between him and Thor until Hulk dipped out on the team.  And he seemed to be the one who kind of blunted Cap's overaggression and tendency to get melancholy.  The movies made Iron Man much more of an Alpha character in the group, and they cannibalized a lot of the character traits of Hank Pym to craft their version of Tony Stark.  Even to the point of having him create Ultron and having Ultron's dark nihilistic deviance be a product of Stark's antisocial issues instead of Pym.

I honestly don't think Stan Lee figured out how to fit Iron Man in with the Avengers because he rotated out of their main roster pretty quickly and basically just provided them with equipment and facilities for most of their Silver and early Bronze Age run.  It's true that he became a B-Lister by the 80's, and that the success of his movie franchise elevated the character.

Iron Man's solo comic spawned some of the best Marvel villains though.  The movies butchered the Mandarin unfortunately, but I would LOVE to see them take a stab at portraying Fin Fang Foom or MODOK.

• Like 3