Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

8 hours ago, PCS said:

Well I'm a not so young guy ;) who remembers owning comics from the early days of many of the Super Heroes featured in the Marvel Movies,(Disney in this case),to date. Coincidentally enough,I've seen a few movies in my day too. Can honestly say I've enjoyed every one of them put out so far and I am not disappointed one bit in how they've put their spin on the storylines and characters. As I stated several years ago,most of these characters,(and the universes they dwell in), have been "reinvented" too damn many times over the past 50 years so if Disney wants to take a shot at their own,I say go for it. Can't do any worse than some of the work in the past imho. Which of course,this little is nothing but that. Just a not so young guy's opinion. :) 

Amen. I'm 44 and seen a lot of movies. I didn't dislike any MCU movies (I didn't see Spiderman). I thought they were good, considering what genre they were in. For instance, the original Thor delivered a great story and lesson on pridefulness vs. humility, sacrifice, and redemption. I also thought DC's Justice League was a good movie too, just not as good as Avengers.

So, preach on brother.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PCS said:

Well I'm a not so young guy ;) who remembers owning comics from the early days of many of the Super Heroes featured in the Marvel Movies,(Disney in this case),to date. Coincidentally enough,I've seen a few movies in my day too. Can honestly say I've enjoyed every one of them put out so far and I am not disappointed one bit in how they've put their spin on the storylines and characters. As I stated several years ago,most of these characters,(and the universes they dwell in), have been "reinvented" too damn many times over the past 50 years so if Disney wants to take a shot at their own,I say go for it. Can't do any worse than some of the work in the past imho. Which of course,this little is nothing but that. Just a not so young guy's opinion. :) 

Agreed, being young has nothing to do with enjoying Marvel movies, or the genre in general.

11 hours ago, drowland said:

A warning to all, Forbes posted an Infinity War article with all the spoilers in it.  Apparently it’s not even a review, just spoilers.  They put a spoiler warning in the article but obviously social media trolls are jumping all over it and posting spoilers everywhere.  Might want to avoid comment sections and Twitter. 

Yeah, I saw that.  Forbes was just being a-holes for a-holes sake for that.

Edited by justice98

12 hours ago, Mournblade said:

No I just don't drool mindlessly over all things Marvel. My sense is you guys are young and just haven't been exposed to that many movies.

Trust me most of the Marvel stuff is junk. 

Whhaaa—? You can read through this thread and see members talking about comics that game out between the 70s-90s. Exactly what do you define as young? 

And no I won’t trust you, I’ll trust rotten tomatoes, user reviews, and my own eyes that generally regard Marvel movies as a cut above nearly everything when it comes to quality, and created a massive shift in how Hollywood viewed making movies based off comics. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gotta explain further. "Utter trash" is um, quite a statement. I don't think anyone here will say the MCU is flawless, sure as hell not me, but trash ? Only Cap and the Avengers were good? Nope. Drunk. Sauced. Sippin' on some sizzurp.

Some of the non-Avenger, non-Captain America Marvel movies were passable -- Dr Strange, Antman come to mind (I haven't seen Black Panther yet). But the entire Thor franchise and Spiderman HC were UTTER JUNK. I stand 100% behind that statement. They were terrible and wasted hours of my precious life.  

6 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Whhaaa—? You can read through this thread and see members talking about comics that game out between the 70s-90s. Exactly what do you define as young? 

And no I won’t trust you, I’ll trust rotten tomatoes, user reviews, and my own eyes that generally regard Marvel movies as a cut above nearly everything when it comes to quality, and created a massive shift in how Hollywood viewed making movies based off comics. 

Your funeral. LMAO.

Any must see Marvel movies prior to Infinity War?

I’ve seen Black Panther, both Guardians, Civil War, Avengers 1, Iron Man 1/2, Dr Strange and I think that’s it.

I’m thinking I need to watch Ragnorok, Avengers 2 and I should be good to go.  Any other “must see” Marvel movies to set me up?

10 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Some of the non-Avenger, non-Captain America Marvel movies were passable -- Dr Strange, Antman come to mind (I haven't seen Black Panther yet). But the entire Thor franchise and Spiderman HC were UTTER JUNK. I stand 100% behind that statement. They were terrible and wasted hours of my precious life.  

Now you're backtracking admitting you were wrong, that's a start.  I'm kinda not surprised you made a blanket statement like that without watching Black Panther first, I kinda expected you to admit that because of it.  Your opinion is your opinion, but don't throw shade on us because it doesn't match ours.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Any must see Marvel movies prior to Infinity War?

I’ve seen Black Panther, both Guardians, Civil War, Avengers 1, Iron Man 1/2, Dr Strange and I think that’s it.

I’m thinking I need to watch Ragnorok, Avengers 2 and I should be good to go.  Any other “must see” Marvel movies to set me up?

Def Thor 2 and Ragnarok. Thor 2 sets up the Reality Stone and Ragnarok leads into Infinity War. Plus its got cool 80's sci-fi synth music AND Jeff Goldblum with his melt stick. :ols:

Avengers 2 sets up the character of Vision. Must watch also

Edited by Zguy28

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

You're probably good, but if I were you I'd catch the first two Captain Americas.  Ant Man's supposedly not going to play a big role, but you might want to watch that one too just for enjoyment's sake.  I like the Thor movies a lot, catching Ragnarok is definitely a good idea, but the first two are solid too.

14 hours ago, Mournblade said:

No I just don't drool mindlessly over all things Marvel. My sense is you guys are young and just haven't been exposed to that many movies.

Trust me most of the Marvel stuff is junk. 

:ols:

What are you expecting, art films?  Marvel Studios has consistently made the best movies of any big budget franchise over the last ten years.  Tell me what other popcorn movie franchise you think is better so I can see what kind of bad taste you're working with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gotta sign on with full-throated support for the MCU. Obviously there are tiers, and a couple might have been fairly tepid to me.

But, as a 48 year old humanities professor who loves art films, I have no problem declaring my love for these films (and my complete joy at the fact that they're getting made at all, with serious actors and attentive, mainstream scripting and production).

One thing I try to avoid in consuming my entertainment is making category errors. I don't criticize bebop for not being death metal. I don't criticize the MCU for not being Kieslowski. These films achieve exactly what they're trying to achieve and they do so really, really well.

• Like 4

Genius.

Deadpool 2's official movie summary...?

photoAfter surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry's hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 1

Wasn't a big fan of Guardians of the Galaxy because the concept of a talking racoon and a bunch of people I considered weird space characters wasn't my cup of tea. After watching Avengers Infinity War I binge watched Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 and love them both. Boy was I wrong these are great movies 

On 5/6/2018 at 9:26 AM, ixcuincle said:

Wasn't a big fan of Guardians of the Galaxy because the concept of a talking racoon and a bunch of people I considered weird space characters wasn't my cup of tea. After watching Avengers Infinity War I binge watched Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 and love them both. Boy was I wrong these are great movies 

On paper, the premise always did sound stupid.  It took some balls for Marvel to make that.  

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, ixcuincle said:

Glad you gave 'em another chance.    :) 

• Like 2

So far in the existence of the Marvel movie-verse, i have scratched my head in confusion more than a few times and wondered "why did they make THAT when they have so much else?"
Hell, Iron Man started it..  why make your first big budget film about a character that had always been a tier 2 book? Why make Guardians of the Galaxy at all? Ant man? ANT MAN??

..and i have to admit, i have liked every single one. In fact, in terms of just movies on their own, Ant Man and GotG are two of my favorites in the franchise. Both of them were just awesome movies. A perfect mix of humor, great action and nifty sci fi with plenty of cool effects. I am really looking forward to Ant Man and The Wasp.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 1

I thought the Dr. Strange movie was a lot of fun.

He IS a pompous ass.. part of his character development from way way back was that he was such an arrogant ass, his injury in the car accident was to have humbled him and shown him the world(s) that existed beyond his own ego.

I really liked Dr. Strange in "Infinity war".

~Bang

Edited by Bang

2 hours ago, Bang said:

I thought the Dr. Strange movie was a lot of fun.

He IS a pompous ass.. part of his character development from way way back was that he was such an arrogant ass, his injury in the car accident was to have humbled him and shown him the world(s" that existed beyond his own ego.

I really liked Dr. Strange in "Infinity war".

~Bang

I thought he was the unsung star of that movie. I love how Strange has the guts to take Thanos on his own. BC did a great job with that character.

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 2