Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

Oh come on, paying Desmond doesn't mean Harper and Rendon walk. Desmond isn't getting as much as Max just got. Desmond will get anywhere from 125-150 mil and he's an everyday player. We just paid a guy who only plays every fifth game 180 mil. There was absolutely no need to do this, especially when you have Giolita and Cole progressing well. Our rotation wasn't the problem with this team.

Are you extending Strasburg?

I just don't see how you're going to pay huge money to Desmond,Strasburg,Rendon and Harper.

Especially if Harper becomes the player we all hope he'll be.

Are you extending Strasburg?

I just don't see how you're going to pay huge money to Desmond,Strasburg,Rendon and Harper.

Especially if Harper becomes the player we all hope he'll be.

Why couldn't you? Werths deal will be done with by that time and your highest paid player would be Ryan Zimmerman, correct? You can afford to pay Harper, Desi, Stras and Rendon. It's not like we're some small market team. Signing Scherzer to this deal is absurd for a team that didn't even need pitching. It's completely irresponsible.

Believe me, the last thing I want us to do is dump Zimmermann. I'm just assuming he doesn't want to be here and, if that's the case, that's the sort of baggage we can do without. And Max will be fantastic.

Honestly, I'd much rather let Strasburg loose. He's a big part of why I started following the team, but if last year is any indication, we could live without him.

Why couldn't you? Werths deal will be done with by that time and your highest paid player would be Ryan Zimmerman, correct? You can afford to pay Harper, Desi, Stras and Rendon. It's not like we're some small market team. Signing Scherzer to this deal is absurd for a team that didn't even need pitching. It's completely irresponsible.

Yes, your highest paid player would be Zimmerman but you're not factoring in what Boras will probably ask for in regards to Stras and especially Harper.

Heck, I expect Rendon to break the bank as well.

You can't just start getting rid of everyone. Desmond isn't as replaceable as some think. Reward your own.

I'm all for rewarding your own. But what kind of numbers would desmond have to put up to justify the kind of money he's looking for?

Scherzer is an elite pitcher but the deal is imprudent. Paying that kind of money to a 30 year old pitcher is wasteful when we have younger long term options already here on the team and in the farm system.

I get the worry about being able to sign all of our young guys long term. But signing Max Scherzer to 180 milion does not help that, it makes it harder.

Rizzo is an aggressive GM. Where he's gotten much less value from personnel acquisitions is in committing assets to buy high on other teams' big name players like Werth, Gio, and Soriano. We get so much more value from home growing our players.

At least Scherzer is a legit star. But the net value of this acquisition is marginal since we're replacing one of the strongest links on our team.

Rizzo needs to make sure the BP is good this year. He needs to adequately replace Clippard.

Count me as unimpressed as well.

If Rizzo put half the amount of effort into getting quality hitters as he does quality pitches, we WOULD be the best team in baseball. Instead, this is looking like another team that will have a elite pitching that will go up against another team in the playoffs with elite pitching but we still won't be able to hit.

Let me know if the memo has made the rounds or not in the Nationals front office, but these teams winning championships can pitch AND hit. : <

Extremely disappointed how much we're paying this guy and then our homegrown talent is going to arbitration one after the other.

What people don't realize, we need a legit #2 starter after 2015 when our rotation looks like Strasburg, ???, Go, Roark, and Giolito,

Schemer allows us to trade Fister or Zimm to get the replacement for Desmond without us losing a starter in the rotation for this year

What people don't realize, we need a legit #2 starter after 2015 when our rotation looks like Strasburg, ???, Go, Roark, and Giolito,

Schemer allows us to trade Fister or Zimm to get the replacement for Desmond without us losing a starter in the rotation for this year

Letting Desmond go is stupid. Hes one of the best SS in baseball and you're acting like he can be replaced so easily.

Way too soon to judge this deal. It is 100% dependent on what happens between now and the start of the season with Zimm, Fister, Stras, and maybe Desi. If they're all on the team then yeah, you could say it's an ownership deal. And I'm not going to begrudge an 89 year old Ted Lerner telling Rizzo to buy him a damn championship before he dies.

Yeah, I think this is just a piece of the puzzle.

So let's assume we hang on to Desmond and Zimmermann for 2015. When they walk in free agency, we will get the 1st round pick from the team that signs them, at the very least. So worst case scenario is we have three 1st round picks in the 2016 draft, and we can start to get guys in the farm system to make an impact down the road.

Best case scenario is we trade both away and get some good prospects in return.

Strasburg-Scherzer-Roark-Giolito-Cole are here through 2019 at least ... and that's not including some of the other arms we drafted recently who could develop. 

I have no issue letting Desmond walk. For those saying pay and keep your own ... he's the definition of a guy you either sell high on or let someone else sign to a contract that kills the team 6 years from now. You just made a coupe and probably got his replacement for cheap ... so I think trading him now or letting him walk is just fine. 

In theory, Schezer might have costed us $180 over 7 but we are saving about 75 million by trading Zimm and letting Desmond go next year.  Zimm would have gotten $140-160 while Desmond as people say should get about 100-120.  Trading Zimm will get us Desmond's replacement at 1/10 of the price of Desmond. 

Archived