Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

Rizzo isn't done yet folks.  He is the only GM to prove that he is one move ahead of everyone else.  Every deal he has made since he got here has been beneficial to the franchise.  

He wants to win a WS and even if we don't make any moves, this team has 4 1st round picks in 2016 from Zimm, Desmond and Fister

Desi is a real good SS, but he's the type of guy that will struggle in October due to his swing for the fences mentality and inability to grind out ABs or take walks.

I like him a lot, but he's not a $100 Mil a year type player. We have other guys on the team who hit for as much if not more power, we might be better off getting a better OBP guy to fill his shoes.

As SHF said, it's all about positioning ourselves for October. The team as is can get out of bed and win 90 games and that will win the NL East easily this year. And it's not like seeding matters in the baseball playoffs. Just gotta get in and after that it's a crapshoot.

I don't really care at all about how much $ we're paying Scherz either. People panicced when we signed Werth, saying we'd never be able to spend again. Then we gave record contracts to Stras and Harper(record for draft picks anyway). Then we gave Zimm a big extension. Money isn't an issue. The Lerners are loaded beyond belief.

Ultimately, signing Scherz means we can trade J Zimm for 2-3 prospects. So, would you rather have J Zimm, or Scherzer(who is at least as good as J Zimm albeit a couple of years older)AND 2-3 prospects?

Ian Desmond hit .368/.368/.421 in the 2012 post season. He can hit when he gets his pitches.

The "record" contracts to Strasburg and Harper were chump change. Seriously, Werth makes more in a season than either one of them will make before third year of arbitration.

Rizzo isn't done yet folks.  He is the only GM to prove that he is one move ahead of everyone else.  Every deal he has made since he got here has been beneficial to the franchise.  

He wants to win a WS and even if we don't make any moves, this team has 4 1st round picks in 2016 from Zimm, Desmond and Fister

Orly?

Yunesky Maya

Brad Lidge

H-Rod

Corey Brown

Rafeal Soriano

People have a tendency to really undervalue Desi. For whatever flaws he has, he's a damn good shortstop to have in your lineup.

I'm actually fine with having him in the lineup.

It's the amount of money he's asking for that scares me.

You can't pay people because they've been around forever. Not players whose numbers have been declining for three years.

If he was the player he was in 2012, no question.

Slate, how can you pick a few games, and suggest that that's the guy he really is, rather than the 300 or so games he's played since the 2012 postseason actually being the player that he is?

You are actually counting Lidge, H-rod and brown lol

Said every deal.

I'm actually fine with having him in the lineup.

It's the amount of money he's asking for that scares me.

You can't pay people because they've been around forever. Not players whose numbers have been declining for three years.

If he was the player he was in 2012, no question.

Slate, how can you pick a few games, and suggest that that's the guy he really is, rather than the 300 or so games he's played since the 2012 postseason actually being the player that he is?

in the 300 games or so that he's played since the 2012 post season , he OPS'd .764 and has the second highest WAR amongst SS with 100 PAs.

Ian Desmond isn't a great hitter, but he's far horrid in October, nor in big ABs. Or do you consider Werth, LaRoche, and Span to be the kind of guys that will struggle in October?

Honestly, you take away his at bats against Strickland and Bryce Harper has an average looking October. Just face it, the Giants had a gameplan against the Nationals and executed it to perfection. The Nationals didn't make adjustments. That doesn't go to the players totally. That's on the coaches.

Which leads me back to the only real improvement I wanted this offseason: A new hitting coach. One who can come up with some needed modifications and alterations to players when faced with mediocre pitching talent.

BTW, most of us being redskins fans, shouldn't we know better than to want to pay big money to older players based on a couple of really good seasons?

I don't disagree with that, slate.

My only issue is paying him the kind of money he wants.

I love how you pick up on every single word when that was clearly a generalization of his tenure.  No wonder why this town doesn't deserve a championship. We nitpick on every thing and make everything a big deal

Say what you mean, mean what you say.

BTW, most of us being redskins fans, shouldn't we know better than to want to pay big money to older players based on a couple of really good seasons?

I don't disagree with that, slate.

My only issue is paying him the kind of money he wants.

The problem is that there are rarely young free agents in baseball. It's what will make Bryce Harper so damn valuable. It's rarity to be able to get a guy when he's beginning his prime, instead of the end of it. Usually you only do that via trade.

I love how you pick up on every single word when that was clearly a generalization of his tenure. No wonder why this town doesn't deserve a championship. We nitpick on every thing and make everything a big deal

Yes, you're exactly right. We don't deserve a championship because we do not applaud EVERY SINGLE MOVE. He's had more hits than misses but he's certainly made his mistakes as well.

Click to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/signing-max-scherzer-makes-washington-nationals-better--right-now-and-beyond/2015/01/19/bfbabc62-a003-11e4-9f89-561284a573f8_story.html

Signing Max Scherzer makes Washington Nationals better — right now and beyond

Now, with one brave budget-bending signing of Scherzer, the Nats have taken a huge step toward clarifying their long-term needs. They’ve already removed the organization’s worst fear: that they might somehow lose Zimmermann, Desmond and Fister and get nothing large and solid to replace them for ’16 and beyond. Could they have lost all three?

Desmond already has shown no interest in a $107 million contract offer. Zimmermann, despite saying all the right things about wanting to remain a National, often has been viewed as a pitcher who wanted to test the free agent market, and perhaps land closer to his Wisconsin home. The Nats have made no serious offers to Zimmermann or Fister. Perhaps now we know why. Maybe they wanted to keep all that “optionality” open until Scherzer was off the table or on their staff.

Adding Scherzer prevents the possibility, even if remote, of a mass exodus. Now, in 2016, the Nats are assured of having Scherzer, Strasburg, Gio GonzalezTanner Roark and perhaps A.J. Cole or Lucas Giolito, the top minor league prospect in MLB with a 100-mph fastball. All except Strasburg are signed through 2018.

I wonder how is Sherzer with the bat?  He spent the first two years in the NL with Arizona, then was in the  AL the rest of his career.

His second year in the league with the D-Backs, in 61 plate appearances in 31 games, he had 12 hits in 54 ABs for a .226 average.  Two of those hits were doubles.  He struck out 17 times, had 3 walks, and had 5 sacrifice bunts.

He'll to step up his game to compete with Fister, Zimm, and Strasburg at the plate.

I was listening to the Junks this morning and Dave Jaegler was saying Zimmerman is really sought after by Chicago (no shocker) and that the Cubs will heavily pursue him and throw money at him after the 2015 season.

I know they signed Lester ... but these guys still have a stacked amount of prospects in the infield.

I would flip Jordan Zimmermann straight up for Kris Bryant. I think he's untouchable, but if Zimmermann signs an extension as a concession to being traded, I would think that would be a fair deal.

Bryant would be your 3B ... move Rendon to 2B ... Desmond at SS (for 2015) with Escobar as the SS in 2016 and Trai Turner in 2017.

Bryant-Turner-Rendon could be a dynamic infield for the future and under team control for quite a few years. 

Probably a pipe dream. But then you could let Fister and Desmond walk, still have 3 1sts in 2016 and have your infield of the future with Giolito, Roark and Cole replacing Zimmermann and Fister long-term.

If the rumors about Strasburg are true, the Twins would be an intriguing trade partner.

Stras for Sano (power hitting 3B, Twins #2 prospect) and Meyer (RHP, close to MLB ready, former Nats prosect who left in Span trade)

Or

Stras and Michael Taylor for Buxton (OF, Twins #1 prospect, projects on the high end as the next McCutchen. Would be ready to take over for Span in 2016.)

Also, lot of folks are talking about this pitcher we got back from the Souza trade ... Joe Foster or something? Apparently he touches 100 MPH and people are talking about him as a future starter for us too ... this team just reloads ... it's pretty crazy.

Stras for Sano (power hitting 3B, Twins #2 prospect) and Meyer (RHP, close to MLB ready, former Nats prosect who left in Span trade)
Or
Stras and Michael Taylor for Buxton (OF, Twins #1 prospect, projects on the high end as the next McCutchen. Would be ready to take over for Span in 2016.)

I mean ... I think you're dramatically underselling Strasburg. Yes, Buxton is a big prospect ... but if you're trading Strasburg with two years of control, you are getting back MULTIPLE Buxtons ...

Type of deal that if you traded him ... you would expect Kris Bryant AND a top minor league pitching prospect from the Cubs ... 

San Diego would be the logical trade partner in that scenario, but they just parted with alot of their prospects.

Strasburg isn't going anywhere. Id  be stunned. And he wouldn't go in any sort of 2-for-1 deal with 2 going the other way. If anything it would be a 4-1 with 4 top prospects coming BACK to the Nats. Buxton trade would not even be suggested to Rizzo for fear that he'd never talk to or work with your team again.

There's no way the Lerners would let Rizzo trade away Strasburg or Harper. They will both be Nats for a very long time.

I don't think Strasburg will be a Nat for a long time...he has high trade value now that we have Max.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24976376/to-trade-or-not-to-trade-examining-nationals-possibilities

Trade Stephen Strasburg

I'd be shocked if they took this route, but there's a report out there that if the Nationals can't trade Zimmermann (more accurate: Can't get back what they want for Zimmermann), they'll instead look to deal Strasburg.

Believe it or not, Strasburg is still only 26. He led the NL with 242 strikeouts last season and was dominant down the stretch after making a few adjustments in approach, going 6-1 with a 1.69 ERA in his last nine starts.

Strasburg won't hit free agency until after the 2016 season, but being a Scott Boras client, he probably wants to test the waters of the open market. Then again, Boras has several Nationals clients, now including Scherzer.

Again, I'd be surprised, but something to consider is that due to age and contract status, Strasburg is by far the most attractive candidate to opposing teams in a trade. If his name is actually on the open market, contending teams would be lining up to talk to Nats GM Mike Rizzo.

I don't see Theo trading for a year of JZ when he can just sign him next season.

And I dont think the Twins are ready to part with core talent yet (not that I wouldn't consider either of those deals).

To me, Zimmermann or Strasburg go to a team that is in a win now and next season mode. Like the Padres, Angels, Blue Jays, Yankees, or Red Sox. Possibly the Rangers, Royals, and Indians.

Also, lot of folks are talking about this pitcher we got back from the Souza trade ... Joe Foster or something? Apparently he touches 100 MPH and people are talking about him as a future starter for us too ... this team just reloads ... it's pretty crazy.

I mean ... I think you're dramatically underselling Strasburg. Yes, Buxton is a big prospect ... but if you're trading Strasburg with two years of control, you are getting back MULTIPLE Buxtons ...

Type of deal that if you traded him ... you would expect Kris Bryant AND a top minor league pitching prospect from the Cubs ...

San Diego would be the logical trade partner in that scenario, but they just parted with alot of their prospects.

Strasburg isn't going anywhere. Id be stunned. And he wouldn't go in any sort of 2-for-1 deal with 2 going the other way. If anything it would be a 4-1 with 4 top prospects coming BACK to the Nats. Buxton trade would not even be suggested to Rizzo for fear that he'd never talk to or work with your team again.

Underselling? You're talking about the #1 prospect in baseball dude. Haha. Twins probably wouldnt do either of those trades.

I also originally thought of Twins tossing in a middle tier pitching prospect as well with Buxton. Maybe someone ready to join the Nats pen in 2015 but with no real future in an MLB rotation.

Underselling? You're talking about the #1 prospect in baseball dude. Haha. Twins probably wouldnt do either of those trades.

I also originally thought of Twins tossing in a middle tier pitching prospect as well with Buxton. Maybe someone ready to join the Nats pen in 2015 but with no real future in an MLB rotation.

Seriously? You're talking about trading your future CF in Taylor ... plus Strasburg, an established Superstar who is 26 ... for the #1 prospect in the MINORS? Who, mind you, didn't play that well last year, and also plays CF, which isn't exactly a weakness for you ...  So ... do you know how these sort of things work?

Also working against us with Strasburg is that while he does have 2 years of team control left (better than 1), he's also a Boras guy and the perception would be that they wouldn't sign an extension. Would prefer to hit FA. That's pretty likely imo.

I'm not trying to be rude here ... but I really don't think you understand how much Strasburg would be worth. He's virtually untouchable, and with Rizzo as our GM, Strasburg is not going anywhere unless you get three Top 20, Blue-Chip prospects in return. Simple as that. 

Here's an idea of what you should expect from Twins if you're serious about trying to trade Strasburg ... CF Byron Buxton (their #1 prospect), 3B Miguel Sano (their #2) and SP Jose Berrios (their #5) ... at MINIMUM

Honestly, that's more than what I'd be willing to give up for two years of Strasburg. Buxon really is a clone of McCutcheon. No pitcher is worth more than McCutch coming in to his prime.

Archived