Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

All this talk of acquiring prospects but I'm not dealing a guy like Stras for just one unproven player. Remember, Stras himself is also a potential superstar who has proven he is, at worst, a really really good MLB SP.

I don't really fall in love with prospects. For every sure thing you have a Lastings Milledge or Elijah Dukes.

David Owens
‏@DaveOwenssports
#scottboras squashing #Strasburg rumors told me his client wants to be here "he loves DC" #natitude @wusa9 @GameOnWUSA9 #nationals

Barry SvrlugaVerified account
‏@barrysvrluga
Stray press conference stuff. Scott Boras: "Stephen Strasburg wants to play here." Says no idea where report came from that he wanted out.

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2015/01/baseball-america-nats-no-4-prospect-reynaldo-lopez.html#.VMARSydbZcg.twitter

Manuel said when discussing Lopez with scouts and other Baseball America talent evaluators, they favorably compared the Dominican right-hander with Nats top prospect Giolito.

"I went to go see him early September over in Greensboro and (our group) talked to scouts who were like, they saw Giolito recently and saw this guy and there wasn't a big difference," Manuel said.

"Physically there's a big difference, but in terms of quality of stuff, there wasn't a big difference. You could find scouts who (liked) what Lopez did better. He doesn't have Giolito's body, he doesn't have Giolito's track record. But in terms of pure gas and a fastball that is hard to hit, he had it."

The big key always for starters at this juncture in their careers is their ability to maintain fastball velocity throughout the game, a very difficult task to accomplish at any level.

"When (Baseball America's) J.J. Cooper saw him, (in the) fifth and sixth inning (he was) still sitting 94-96 mph," Manuel said. "So he is a little guy, but really holding his velocity. (Suns) pitching coach Sam Narron told him a lot of kids with that kind of stuff flattens out later when he gets tired. His stuff wasn't doing that. And that was the end of the year, September.

"His stuff wasn't flattening out. He doesn't quite have the curveball that Giolito has. He has shown he can throw it. He is throwing the changeup. Really exciting."

David Owens

‏@DaveOwenssports

#scottboras squashing #Strasburg rumors told me his client wants to be here "he loves DC" #natitude @wusa9 @GameOnWUSA9 #nationals

Barry SvrlugaVerified account

‏@barrysvrluga

Stray press conference stuff. Scott Boras: "Stephen Strasburg wants to play here." Says no idea where report came from that he wanted out.

lol, Boras spinning like crazy.

Sign JZ to the same 200 million dollar deal Scherzer got. Trade Strasburg for a nice package. Dominate for years.

He's not spinning anything. Don't let the fact that you don't like Strasburg cloud things.

LOL, this is what Boras does. There isn't a doubt in my mind that Rizzo had Strasburg on the block.

Rizzo needs to sign Yoan Moncada. Pretty much locks up the infield for the next five years.

Is anyone else remotely concerned that the Scherzer signing only buys us a few years at most?  I've seen a few articles/graphs in various places showing the history of long term contracts, particularly at his age, and almost none of them work out for the last half.  I wouldn't count on Scherzer carrying a spot as an ace for more than about three seasons.  Though if this team brings the city a world series, I probably won't **** about anything for at least 2-3 years.

Is anyone else remotely concerned that the Scherzer signing only buys us a few years at most?  I've seen a few articles/graphs in various places showing the history of long term contracts, particularly at his age, and almost none of them work out for the last half.  I wouldn't count on Scherzer carrying a spot as an ace for more than about three seasons.  Though if this team brings the city a world series, I probably won't **** about anything for at least 2-3 years.

Honestly, I doubt Rizzo and the Lerners are counting on much more than 3 or 4 years from Sherzer as an ace. I think it's cash on the table now to buy a World Series - and soon. With any luck, though, he'll pitch decently well into his late 30s. Maybe he'll be a guy like Greg Maddux, pitching effectively well into his late 30s, relying on smarts and location. But if not, 3 years is bridge time until Giolito, Cole, Fedde, etc. work their way to the Bigs.

I think the idea is, you get 3 really good years, 2 years of steady decline(but still fairly productive), and then you just write off the last 2 years and take it as the cost of doing business.

Honestly, I doubt Rizzo and the Lerners are counting on much more than 3 or 4 years from Sherzer as an ace. I think it's cash on the table now to buy a World Series - and soon. With any luck, though, he'll pitch decently well into his late 30s. Maybe he'll be a guy like Greg Maddux, pitching effectively well into his late 30s, relying on smarts and location. But if not, 3 years is bridge time until Giolito, Cole, Fedde, etc. work their way to the Bigs.

Cole will probably be ready by September of this season. Frankly, if they hadn't signed Scherzer and ended up trading Zimmermann, it's likely Cole starts the season as the number 5. Treinen can also start. Finally, there are usually pitchers available on a one year deal.

I think the idea is, you get 3 really good years, 2 years of steady decline(but still fairly productive), and then you just write off the last 2 years and take it as the cost of doing business.

That's worst case I think. Look at the careers of people like Kevin Brown, who for some reason Scherzer keeps getting compared to.

Kevin Brown was 34 when he signed his deal with the Dodgers. Take a look at his 30-37 aged years, I will take those and laugh:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brownke01.shtml

There are numerous other pitchers who are now pitching late into their 30's and being very effective.

Still think the Nats need to be all in on Yoan Moncada. He fixes a lot of problems going forward.

We have our infield for 2015. Desmond will walk to free agency, putting Escobar at short for the 2016 season. This allows Moncada to come right up and play second. Turner displaces Escobar around the All Star Break, and the Nationals have their infield set for the next 4 or 5 years.

So does he take over Clippard's set up role?

I think he's more middle relief. Personally, I like Blake Treinien or The Bear there.

Keith Law also has ranked our system #9 in all of baseball:

9. Washington Nationals

The Nats' system got a big boost last year, when they kept their first-round draft pick and landed a good college arm, Erick Fedde, who fell because he had blown out his elbow. Then they added two top-100 prospects in exchange for Steven Souza this offseason. They're also so set at the major league level that they haven't had to deal much from their minor league affiliates; just two of their top 10 from last year, Souza and Nate Karns, are no longer with the Nats, and both are now property of Tampa Bay, through separate deals.

Others of NL East teams:

4. New York Mets

6. Atlanta Braves

24. Miami Marlins

25. Philiadephia Phillies

Wow. The Phillies are going to be bad for a long time. Hamels and Utley are single-handedly keeping them from the 2008-2010 Nationals level

So does he take over Clippard's set up role?

Probably. He has closing experience before. His drop off in velocity is concerning, but hopefully due to the back injury he had early last season.

Good enough signing. Would have preferred to sign one of the better relievers earlier in the offseason, but this is good enough. We can always trade for bullpen help at the trade deadline.

From all the things I've heard, this is a great signing. Boosts an already good bullpen but quells any concerns over losing Clippard.

This team is just stacked.

And it's a really weak division. the Marlins and Mets are closest. They have pieces in place, but have gaping holes.a s well.

From all the things I've heard, this is a great signing. Boosts an already good bullpen but quells any concerns over losing Clippard.

This team is just stacked.

Eh, I'm less high on Janssen. He was a strikeout guy, and last season became a control/ground ball pitcher. I don't know if it's simply an outlier or if it's a sign of regression, much like Soriano.

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2014/12/23/7432367/to-what-will-casey-janssen-rebound-in-2015

Not a big concern for me. I'm much more concerned about the middle infield, long term. Of course, if Rizzo would just sign Moncada, I'd feel a lot better :D

Archived