Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

More fun stuff--Sports on Earth's top Rivals for the Nationals:

Link: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/108219880/mlb-rivalries-dodgers-cardinals-giants-yasiel-puig

I disagree entirely with this list 1. Braves 2. Phillies (I will enjoy their suck for the next 5 years) 3. Cards. Up-and-coming are the Mets--that one could get heated in the next year or 2.

I really only hate the O's when the MASN stuff comes up or when their fans act like Baltimorons.

Washington Nationals

1. Baltimore Orioles
2. Atlanta Braves
3. St. Louis Cardinals

That Orioles rivalry still feels mostly media-created, but it's still there. (Isn't everything in Washington media-created?) Don't count out that Cardinals anger too: There's no team Nats fans would rather take out in the playoffs, preferably while Pete Kozma weeps nearby.

Nationals/Orioles rivalry is pretty one sided. We don't like them. They whatever us. Most NoVA O's fans are also Nats fans and really only go to Orioles games when they come to Nats Park. No one from NoVA goes to Baltimore unless they don't have a choice.

Anyway: http://www.pitcherlist.com/top-20-starting-pitchers-for-2015/

Three in the top twenty

A couple of other Cuban second basemen to keep an eye on: Andy Ibanez & Hector Olivera. Might be worth a look if we miss out on Moncada

We shouldn't miss. This was why we deferred Scherzer's salary. There's 30+ million coming off the books next season, barring a miracle re-signing of Zimmermann.

I love the fact that Mike Rizzo called out Feinstein. He's a self-involved jackass who is enthralled with his own opinion:

http://www.csnwashington.com/baseball-washington-nationals/talk/nationals-jayson-werth-mike-rizzo-john-feinstein

Feinstein says **** now just to get attention. Anybody who would call John Wall the Wizard's 4th best player is not worthy of attention.

Feinstein says **** now just to get attention. Anybody who would call John Wall the Wizard's 4th best player is not worthy of attention.

All these sports hacks want the light to shine on them. Especially these dorky, little hacks who got picked last in kickball when they were kids. Ooh, ooh, look at me. I'm good. Pick me.....

Feinstein said he would be willing to sit down and talk to Werth. But nothing, and i mean NOTHING, will ever change Feinstein's opinion of Werth. And Feinstein loves to play this game. He will state that Jayson Werth is one of the most arrogant, unlikable athlete in DC. and then say no one can argue with him on that because he knows. Then when called out, he will say he was stating his opinion, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. His opinion may be wrong, but its just his opinion. Of course, he will never say, "In my opinion, Jayson Werth is a horrible human being." Nope, he will say, "Jayson Werth is a worthless human being." And then call it his opinion later when confronted.

106.7 has him on to talk about the Redskins. He lambastes the Redskins regularly. And he is right about quite a bit. But I will never listen to what he has to say about the Redskins. Why? He is on record that as long as Dan Snyder owns the Redskins, they can't lose enough for him. You can't be objective when you have a stance like that. He openly roots for the Redskins to lose because he hates Dan Snyder.

I hate John Feinstein. HATE him. Like seriously, he has the most punchable and obnoxious face I've ever seen and his personality only backs that up more. I'm glad Rizzo trashed him. Rizzo has always had his players backs in the public, one thing I really like about him.

I hate John Feinstein. HATE him. Like seriously, he has the most punchable and obnoxious face I've ever seen and his personality only backs that up more. I'm glad Rizzo trashed him. Rizzo has always had his players backs in the public, one thing I really like about him.

I don't doubt Rizzo called him out, he is that kind of personality. But I wonder the severity of what really happened. He had a similar interaction with Snyder a few years ago...

Feinstein is such a pompous ass, he would fabricate the severity of it to make himself seem more important.

Rob Manfried toured the Nats Baseball Academy in SE:

http://natsinsider.com/2015/02/04/video-manfred-talks-nats-all-star-game/

One item of real note: He considers Baltimore and Washington 2 distinct markets (while talking about the All Star Game--DC and Baltimore could hold it in back to back years). I wonder if this will apply to the MASN fiasco as well. I would love to boot the Orioles coverage off DC airwaves. Get them out of our market.

106.7 has him on to talk about the Redskins. He lambastes the Redskins regularly. And he is right about quite a bit. But I will never listen to what he has to say about the Redskins. Why? He is on record that as long as Dan Snyder owns the Redskins, they can't lose enough for him. You can't be objective when you have a stance like that. He openly roots for the Redskins to lose because he hates Dan Snyder.

Agreed.

Feinsteins response when talking to bickle about the redskins name a year or so ago when eb had the nerve to defend the name?

"you're defending Dan Snyder?"

Wtf? Talk about an ax to grind.

One item of real note: He considers Baltimore and Washington 2 distinct markets (while talking about the All Star Game--DC and Baltimore could hold it in back to back years). I wonder if this will apply to the MASN fiasco as well. I would love to boot the Orioles coverage off DC airwaves. Get them out of our market.

God yes. I actually had a discussion about that with the program director of 980 a couple of years ago. I think it was over twitter after he hyped their O's coverage. Asked why a DC sports station was covering a Baltimore team and when they were going to start airing Ravens games. It's been awhile but iirc his response was about the number of O's fans in the area still. It's a money thing.

God yes. I actually had a discussion about that with the program director of 980 a couple of years ago. I think it was over twitter after he hyped their O's coverage. Asked why a DC sports station was covering a Baltimore team and when they were going to start airing Ravens games. It's been awhile but iirc his response was about the number of O's fans in the area still. It's a money thing.

It makes me wonder if the O's struggle this year (and, at least on paper, it looks like they will) how much the ratings will drop, especially in this area with any success by the Nats.

It makes me wonder if the O's struggle this year (and, at least on paper, it looks like they will) how much the ratings will drop, especially in this area with any success by the Nats.

IIRC, they don't do the ratings based on what's on TV, they do it based on the channel. MASN continues to switch which channel each team is on.

A couple of notes on Jayson Werth from observing him at spring training in Viera.

-He picks young kids out of the crowd to walk with him from the locker room to the batting cages. He asks the kids to carry his bats and glove and then talks to them as they stroll along.  The kids go away with some souvenir.

-We were sitting on the first base line, about six rows behind the Nats dugout at Space Coast Stadium watching the Nats play the Marlins in spring 1012.  A screaming, 95 mile-an-hour foul ball shot toward us but hit a 10 or 11 year old kid in a Marlins' Hanley Ramirez jersey sitting at the beginning of our row.  Smack in the upper arm.  The kid fainted from the pain.  Medics came, but he was okay except what I'm sure was a deep, nasty bruise.  Between innings, Werth trotted over to the Marlins dugout.  After a minute or so, he emerged carrying a bat, trotted back over our way, and motioned for the kid, who shyly came to the railing.  Werth leaned in close, said some private words, and handed the kid the bat.  A Hanley Ramirez bat.

**** John Feinstein.

If the Nats ever got out of the MASN deal, would they jump to Monumental?

I'm sure the cap that the Lerner's give Rizzo would rise a little, but we are never going to be crazy spenders like the Dodgers or the Yankees.  We are already one of the top 10 payrolls in baseball.  I honestly think we are probably around the highest we will ever see this team operate in payroll. While some of the money will probably go towards player salaries, I think most is going to be used towards the betterment of the team (stadium upgrades, etc.), and I'm sure the Lerners will pocket a nice sum of money from that each year as well.

Archived