Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

From NatsInsider:

[Jannsen] has a track record of consistency and dominance — a 2.99 ERA and at least 50 appearances in each of the last five seasons — though he is coming off a disappointing 2014 season in Toronto.

After spending the season’s first month on the disabled list with an oblique strain, Janssen returned in May and dominated in the closer’s role. At the All-Star break, he owned a 1.23 ERA and 14 saves in 16 opportunities.

But after battling a bout of food poisoning contracted during his All-Star break in the Dominican Republic, Janssen fell apart. He ERA ballooned to 6.46 over his final 27 appearances, with opponents compiling a stout .869 OPS against him during the season’s second half.

From NatsInsider:

[Jannsen] has a track record of consistency and dominance — a 2.99 ERA and at least 50 appearances in each of the last five seasons — though he is coming off a disappointing 2014 season in Toronto.

After spending the season’s first month on the disabled list with an oblique strain, Janssen returned in May and dominated in the closer’s role. At the All-Star break, he owned a 1.23 ERA and 14 saves in 16 opportunities.

But after battling a bout of food poisoning contracted during his All-Star break in the Dominican Republic, Janssen fell apart. He ERA ballooned to 6.46 over his final 27 appearances, with opponents compiling a stout .869 OPS against him during the season’s second half.

If you have ever had food poisoning, you'll understand exactly how this could have impacted his 2nd half performance.

I've had it 3 or 4 times, but only once was it really bad. I know the seafood restaurant on the River in Atlanta where I contracted it. I will never set foot in that place ever again. I couldn't keep anything inside my stomach for 48 hours. Nasty...

I've had friends who traveled outside the US, contracted it & were ill for months. 

Don't drink the water (or eat that raw, under cooked food), indeed! 

This looks like it could be Fun

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/01/28/nats-will-reveal-10th-anniversary-promotional-items-with-10-days-of-teddy-campaign/

The Nats have previously announced their intention to celebrate the franchise’s 10th anniversary in Washington this season, with a commemorative patch that will be worn on uniforms, for example. Next week the team will begin unveiling more of its anniversary plans, which include 13 different 10th anniversary giveaway items.

And the team is going about its promotional schedule release in a non-traditional manner, with a”10 Days of Teddy” campaign. Each Monday through Friday next week, and each Monday through Friday the week after, the club will post a clue about the location of its Teddy Roosevelt mascot. (The clues will be posted on Twitter, between 11 and 1 each day.)

Lets see if we can guess the five Greatest On-field performances for the Boobleheads 

1. Zimmermann's No-Hitter

2. Werth's Walk Off NLDS

3. Stras Debut

4. Ryan Zimm Walk off in the first game at Nats Park

5. Not sure

If you have ever had food poisoning, you'll understand exactly how this could have impacted his 2nd half performance.

To this day I have no idea what it actually was ... but I had a little eggnog a few years ago ... and by a little I mean I didn't even contract a buzz ... and I spent that night and the next 2 days on the floor of the bathroom. It was the worst. When I finally started feeling better, I couldn't even really remember much from the previous 2 days besides being glued to the bathroom. It was truly awful.

One of my favorite drinks ever was a white russian. To this day, I can't even smell any kind of coffee or cream liquor without getting chills. So I feel ya!

The Nats have previously announced their intention to celebrate the franchise’s 10th anniversary in Washington this season, with url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/10/17/heres-the-10th-anniversary-patch-the-nats-will-wear-next-season/"]a commemorative patch that will be worn on uniforms[/url]

Lets see if we can guess the five Greatest On-field performances for the Boobleheads

2. Werth's Walk Off NLDS

3. Stras Debut

5. Not sure

Livan's 1st pitch in 2005

This looks like it could be Fun

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/01/28/nats-will-reveal-10th-anniversary-promotional-items-with-10-days-of-teddy-campaign/

The Nats have previously announced their intention to celebrate the franchise’s 10th anniversary in Washington this season, with a commemorative patch that will be worn on uniforms, for example. Next week the team will begin unveiling more of its anniversary plans, which include 13 different 10th anniversary giveaway items.

And the team is going about its promotional schedule release in a non-traditional manner, with a”10 Days of Teddy” campaign. Each Monday through Friday next week, and each Monday through Friday the week after, the club will post a clue about the location of its Teddy Roosevelt mascot. (The clues will be posted on Twitter, between 11 and 1 each day.)

2. Werth's Walk Off NLDS

3. Stras Debut

5. Not sure

Didn't Brad Wilkerson hit for the cycle in our inagural season?

Nats coming in at #9 is awesome. I wonder if signing Moncada would jump us to just behind the Cubs at #2 (Cubs are stacked, no one can overtake them). I'm guessing Moncada would go to the minors for a bit. MLB Network Radio was discussing how he'd be the sure-fire #1 pick in the upcoming amateur draft if he were eligible. Got to imagine that would equate to another Top 10 overall player with Giolito. 

From what I'm reading the Sox, Yanks, Dodgers and Cubs are the 4 favorites for Moncada. Rizzo has come out of left field before and we know we need a long-term solution at 2B ... but the cost might not make sense for us. But still worth monitoring. 

I take it as a sign of good news that we're not among the favorites. Rizzo prefers to move in the darkness, if we are seriously in on Moncada, we probably won't hear about it until the day before the deal is complete.

<bobblehead pic of Werth in jail>

Werth pleads guilty. Gets 5 days in jail:

"Washington Nationals’ outfielder Jayson Werth will serve five days in jail after pleading guilty Thursday to a reckless driving charge in Fairfax County.

Under the terms of an agreement reached with prosecutors, Werth, 35, admitted to driving his Porsche GT3 RS more than 100 mph on the Beltway in July 2014. In addition to the jail sentence, Werth’s Virginia driver’s license will be suspended for 30 days."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/nationals-jason-werth-pleads-guilty-to-reckless-driving-gets-5-days-in-jail/2015/01/29/0049a229-6b9c-443e-92da-9257579b60e3_story.html?wpisrc=al_alert

From what I'm reading the Sox, Yanks, Dodgers and Cubs are the 4 favorites for Moncada. Rizzo has come out of left field before and we know we need a long-term solution at 2B ... but the cost might not make sense for us. But still worth monitoring. 

I don't understand the cost aspect. For one, I don't think his salary this year would count against the luxury tax. But even if it does, were at least 15 million under. We have a ton coming off the books next season. This can be done.

I think Rizzo is still wary of the Latin markets. Smiley and Maya were big black marks and there really hasn't been an impact player to come out of the Nationals scouting of the Latin markets in a long time.

But I don't really see Moncada's contract being a problem. Kang got 11 million. Cespedes got 4/36. I don't see Moncada getting more than 10 million per year, even with a bidding war with the Dodgers. Friedman isn't going to throw money around willy nilly, and, frankly, they already have a guy in Gurrerro.

I just really think Moncada is going to end up being that guy we wish we had spent the money on in three years. A lot like how I feel about Yu Darvish today. With the new diplomatic relationship between the US and Cuba, now is the time to strike. This could open up the pipeline to several more good players, and establish the Nationals infield for the next four to five years.

And, honestly, if Escobar struggles at the plate and in the field (like last year), I could see Moncada being a September call up and just sticking on the roster.

I think Rizzo is still wary of the Latin markets. Smiley and Maya were big black marks and there really hasn't been an impact player to come out of the Nationals scouting of the Latin markets in a long time.

I just really think Moncada is going to end up being that guy we wish we had spent the money on in three years. A lot like how I feel about Yu Darvish today. With the new diplomatic relationship between the US and Cuba, now is the time to strike. This could open up the pipeline to several more good players, and establish the Nationals infield for the next four to five years.

And, honestly, if Escobar struggles at the plate and in the field (like last year), I could see Moncada being a September call up and just sticking on the roster.

Yes, Rizzo is still very leery of the Latin market--probably Smiley because that was such an embarassment, but it sure isn't because of Yunesky Maya. He signed a 4 year, $6 mil deal. That is a pittance. Matt Purke got $4 million to never advance past AA, and post a 8.04 ERA while there. It didn't stop Rizzo from taking chances on injured players like Lucas Giolito and Erick Fedde. No one cares about Yunesky Maya.

I do agree with you though--I would love Moncada. With Turner and Difo, we are starting to build up some prospects at the MI, which has been a dearth the last couple of years. I just don't see him coming here. Not Rizzo's MO.

Yes, Rizzo is still very leery of the Latin market--probably Smiley because that was such an embarassment, but it sure isn't because of Yunesky Maya. He signed a 4 year, $6 mil deal. That is a pittance. Matt Purke got $4 million to never advance past AA, and post a 8.04 ERA while there. It didn't stop Rizzo from taking chances on injured players like Lucas Giolito and Erick Fedde. No one cares about Yunesky Maya.

I do agree with you though--I would love Moncada. With Turner and Difo, we are starting to build up some prospects at the MI, which has been a dearth the last couple of years. I just don't see him coming here. Not Rizzo's MO.

Rizzo wasn't around for Smiley. He was signed before Rizzo came to the Nationals. It serves as a warning perhaps, but Maya is still the big flop. He had him scouted as mid 90s with great movement and Maya came in throwing 89 with no movement and poor breaking balls.

Frankly, I think Difo is a long shot. Moncada is the real deal and the Nats need to be all in.

Rizzo wasn't around for Smiley. He was signed before Rizzo came to the Nationals. It serves as a warning perhaps, but Maya is still the big flop. He had him scouted as mid 90s with great movement and Maya came in throwing 89 with no movement and poor breaking balls.

Frankly, I think Difo is a long shot. Moncada is the real deal and the Nats need to be all in.

Maya was insignificant. He is not the reason Rizzo does not wade into the Latin market. $6 mil over 4 years is hardly a big flop. And Rizzo was here for Smiley, he took over for Bowden because of that scandal and was left cleaning up the mess. I guarantee that had a more lasting effect than the pittance Maya got.

Lol, thats my point. Rizzo had nothing to do with Smiley.

Maya wasn't about the money. It was about absurdly wrong Rizzo and his scouts were. Imagine if Giolito showed up throwing 90 with no movement after all the hype. Thats the level of disappointment we're talking about here. Great articme

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2013/5/25/4365462/washington-nationals-designate-first-major-international-signing-yunesky-maya-for-assignment

Thoroughly scouted. First big international signing. 92/93 on the gun. Three quality pitches. Cy Young's name was invoked.

Complete and utter bust. I'll bet Rizzo is still asking what he missed. Smiley's easy. He lied about his age. Maya is far tougher to crack. They had multiple eyes on him along with tons of tape. They had everything they needed to make and informed evaluation of Maya. And they whiffed. If you don't think that follows Rizzo around all the time, you don't understand scouting. It was never about the money. It was the process and how it failed.

Lol, thats my point. Rizzo had nothing to do with Smiley.

Maya wasn't about the money. It was about absurdly wrong Rizzo and his scouts were. Imagine if Giolito showed up throwing 90 with no movement after all the hype. Thats the level of disappointment we're talking about here. Great articme

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2013/5/25/4365462/washington-nationals-designate-first-major-international-signing-yunesky-maya-for-assignment

Thoroughly scouted. First big international signing. 92/93 on the gun. Three quality pitches. Cy Young's name was invoked.

Complete and utter bust. I'll bet Rizzo is still asking what he missed. Smiley's easy. He lied about his age. Maya is far tougher to crack. They had multiple eyes on him along with tons of tape. They had everything they needed to make and informed evaluation of Maya. And they whiffed. If you don't think that follows Rizzo around all the time, you don't understand scouting. It was never about the money. It was the process and how it failed.

I am not really interested in debating Yunesky Maya and his lasting psychological effects on the Washington Nationals organization. He is no more a "black mark" than someone like Purke, Jake Johannsen, or Destin Hood--same process, same failure. Scouting is an inexact science (but feel free to tell us all you know about scouting, clearly, it's a lot.)

But clearly Rizzo is questioning his scouting practice...and not rushing him to the majors:

"It probably wasn't the best way to handle Yunesky Maya last year," Rizzo would later tell reporters, "but he was very driven and impatient to get to the big leagues and [we] probably put him in a position that was difficult for him to succeed, so I'll take that one on my back."

Why have we given up on these players?  Johanssen has only been with us for two seasons.  Hood is 24 and batted .300 across three levels last season, including a stint in AAA.  Purke I could agree about.  The other two still have an outside shot at doing something.

Archived