Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

Seriously? You're talking about trading your future CF in Taylor ... plus Strasburg, an established Superstar who is 26 ... for the #1 prospect in the MINORS? Who, mind you, didn't play that well last year. So ... do you know how these sort of things work?

A middle tier CF prospect with a lower than preferred ceiling. An ace pitcher with 2 years of team control. For not just the Twins #1 prospect, but THE #1 prospect in baseball who was injured last year but is expected to be MLB ready by the end of this year and on the opening day roster in 2016. With Span's contract expiring, that would be a great deal for the Nats, but yes, you would probably want another piece to even it out a bit. Maybe some bullpen help.

Honestly, that's more than what I'd be willing to give up for two years of Strasburg. Buxon really is a clone of McCutcheon. No pitcher is worth more than McCutch coming in to his prime.

That's fine ... but you're Rizzo ... you don't need to part with Stras ... you're negotiating from a position of strength. You don't ship him out unless you get a historically good deal. It's really that simple. In my mind, Buxton is far from a "clone of McCutcheon" because it's all on hype and potential ... he has yet to prove it either in the minors or majors and he's still a year or two away from the majors. I just don't see anyway you trade Stras straight up for him ... let alone throwing in Michael Taylor. I would expect at least 2 or 3 of the Twins guys coming back with Buxton being one ... and Sano or Nick Gordon being the other ... along with a top pitching prospect. That simple. Not moving a superstar like Stras for anything less, and we don't NEED to.

I've been listening to a lot of MLB Radio the last few days and every time the idea of trading Strasburg comes up, the first thing the analyst will say is "it's very unlikely" and the second thing they say "is the Nats would have to get a historical haul back"

I'm sorry but simply getting the #1 prospect is not enough for me. We've seen 1-year pitching rentals traded for almost as much in the past. 

That's fine ... but you're Rizzo ... you don't need to part with Stras ... you're negotiating from a position of strength. You don't ship him out unless you get a historically good deal. It's really that simple. In my mind, Buxton is far from a "clone of McCutcheon" because it's all on hype and potential ... he has yet to prove it either in the minors or majors and he's still a year or two away from the majors. I just don't see anyway you trade Stras straight up for him ... let alone throwing in Michael Taylor. I would expect at least 2 or 3 of the Twins guys coming back with Buxton being one ... and Sano or Nick Gordon being the other ... along with a top pitching prospect. That simple. Not moving a superstar like Stras for anything less, and we don't NEED to.

I've been listening to a lot of MLB Radio the last few days and every time the idea of trading Strasburg comes up, the first thing the analyst will say is "it's very unlikely" and the second thing they say "is the Nats would have to get a historical haul back"

I'm sorry but simply getting the #1 prospect is not enough for me. We've seen 1-year pitching rentals traded for almost as much in the past.

What one year rental got the number 1 prospect in all of baseball?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-enormous-trade-value-of-stephen-strasburg/

"Stephen Strasburg could get traded. Probably, Stephen Strasburg will not get traded, but very seldom do we end up in a situation where a deal like this could feasibly happen and make real sense. Part of me wants Strasburg to stay where he is, just to see how good the Nationals could be. And the other part wants him to go, because I want to see what this sort of trade package looks like in real life."

What one year rental got the number 1 prospect in all of baseball?

Didn't say one-year rental for top prospect

Fwiw... Have a friend that is a huge baseball guy. Twins fan, dc local who follows the nats. He also blogs for the twins on the side. His response to my proposed trades...

"Buxton is untouchable. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered Sano plus a top pitching prospect though."

Exactly what 1 year rental went for almost as much?

I guess what I meant is we've seen 1-year rentals bring back very good hauls ... I guess I should have worded it differently. But my point is that you don't trade Stras with 2 years of control for just the #1 prospect. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle ... but in an article that talks about the Red Sox possibly sending Henry Owens (their #1 prospect) plus Miguel Margot (their #6) and another high upside, low-ranked prospect ... I find it hard to believe Rizzo would entertain a straight up trade for Buxton let alone a Taylor + Stras for Buxton deal. 

Fwiw... Have a friend that is a huge baseball guy. Twins fan, dc local who follows the nats. He also blogs for the twins on the side. His response to my proposed trades...

"Buxton is untouchable. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered Sano plus a top pitching prospect though."

Interesting. Maybe what's blocking my thinking on Buxton for Stras is that if we are trading Strasburg I wouldn't want to put all the eggs in one basket and get one prospect. If you can get a team's #1 prospect and another Top 5-6 prospect plus another Top 15 prospect ... I would just feel better about at least one emerging.

Buxton certainly has the hype ... but Kris Bryant has produced. I would take Kris Bryant over Buxton, but Bryant I think is likewise, untouchable. Bryant put up like 42 HRs between AA and AAA last year. 

Dear God any trade that netted Kris Bryant for either Stras or JZim straight up I would do in a heart beat. 

Yeah ... I think he's as untouchable as it gets, but my guess is trading Strasburg would give you more of a chance than Zimmermann, unless JZimm agreed to a long-term extension. 

Not much talk on here about Drew Ward ... 20 years old ... 3B prospect ranked #7 in the Nats system that hit .269 with 10 HRs and 72 RBIs at Hagerstown last year. Could be one to watch.

So the Nats got Joe Ross from the Padres, who is now our #5 overall prospect and still have the Padres #4 overall prospect Trai Turner coming our way.

How did we manage THAT?! Give up Souza ... get Turner and Ross ... nutszo.

Not much talk on here about Drew Ward ... 20 years old ... 3B prospect ranked #7 in the Nats system that hit .269 with 10 HRs and 72 RBIs at Hagerstown last year. Could be one to watch.

So the Nats got Joe Ross from the Padres, who is now our #5 overall prospect and still have the Padres #4 overall prospect Trai Turner coming our way.

How did we manage THAT?! Give up Souza ... get Turner and Ross ... nutszo.

Seeing a lot of varying reports on Joe Ross & Reynaldo Lopez. It will be interesting to see how they develop.

Honestly, that's more than what I'd be willing to give up for two years of Strasburg. Buxon really is a clone of McCutcheon. No pitcher is worth more than McCutch coming in to his prime.

Madison Bumgarner is the beginning and end of that list.

Kolko - Nats are holding a press conference at 2pm (tomorrow) to make a "major baseball announcement." Hmmmmm. Any guesses?

Scherzer announcement/introduction most likely.

My guess: 2018 all star game in DC. Boswell basically reported it yesterday.

Probably not on second thought. Don't think such an announcement would be television worthy.

Yeah that's why I'm all about keeping JZimmn. If things go according plan, we're in the discussion for greatest rotation of all time. I'd love being included in that discussion.

The only issue I have with this, is while it is a great regular season move, what does it do to our world series hopes? We didnt get bounced from the playoffs last year because of poor pitching. IMO, improving our staff doesn't really help us that much currently. Come playoffs, we are only going to roll with a 3-4 man rotation. What we really need is a big left handed bat. But power bats are scarce these days.

I do like the flexibility this move gives us for the future though. It provides Rizzo a ton of options in how he wants to construct this team. As much as I love Zimmnn, I think he should be traded for a bunch of top end prospects. It already sounds like he is going to test the market, and thus will most likely be too rich for us to re-sign. Even with letting him go, we would still have a playoff rotation of Scherzer, Stras, Fister, and Gio, which would still rival the rotation of any one in the game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2015/01/20/tanner-roark-on-max-scherzer-signing-id-think-id-be-the-odd-man-out-unfortunately/

“When you sign a caliber guy like Scherzer and me being the fifth guy last year — and I hope everybody stays, which would be great – it’s just out of my hands,” Roark said by telephone on Tuesday morning. “It’s what everybody else wants to do and establish the Nationals even more. I’m just here to help out the best I can and do the best I can.”

“I’d think I’d be the odd man out unfortunately,” Roark said. “It is what it is. I’m glad to be on the team and helping out the team as best as I can. If I get moved to the bullpen, I’ve done it before and I know I can do it. I have confidence in my stuff and my ability. We’re playing each year to win a World Series. If I have to get moved to the bullpen for us to win a World Series, I’m fine with that. If that’s what it comes down to, so be it.”

Roark is becoming one of my favorite Nationals. Probably helps to know that he's first man up if anybody gets injured.

Archived