Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

One mistake

He's a successful owner and team execu4thus is indisputable

I got the sense talking to him Tuesday that he's a knowledgeable businessman with a keen insight for success. How many of us can say we have actually spoken to him instead of criticizing him behind anonymity.

One mistake! Those type of deals keep GMs from ever getting another job. It would've been like the Nationals trading Harper before he made it to the bigs for Erik Bedard. He's not as good an owner as you think he is.

One mistake! Those type of deals keep GMs from ever getting another job. It would've been like the Nationals trading Harper before he made it to the bigs for Erik Bedard. He's not as good an owner as you think he is.

Uh, no. More like trading Adam Jones for Erik Bedard.

They've won a lot.

They won three titles and haven't done a thing since 2000. They were terrible up until this season. They won three games last year.

Uh, no. More like trading Adam Jones for Erik Bedard.

You got the gist of what I was saying though. It's one of the most lopsided trades ever. It will forever be a blemish that Leonsis cannot remove.

They won three titles and haven't done a thing since 2000. They were terrible up until this season. They won three games last year.

You got the gist of what I was saying though. It's one of the most lopsided trades ever. It will forever be a blemish that Leonsis cannot remove.

Three more titles than the Nationals, Capitals, and Wizards have won in the last 20 years.

But they were irrelevant for years. In fact their last coach before Ben Olsen got fired and they had been irrelevant for like a decade. 

Why do we always have to argue when we should be plotting our schedules around the free **** that the Nationals will give away this year that we can hoard in our damn rooms because we're TRUE NATIONALS FANS 

For instance, on at least 10 give away Tuesdays, a special gift will be given out to the first 10k in attendance. I will have to attend all 10 and collect all the gifts! There's nothing better than a gift the team gives you for free for attending the game. 

Ted Leonsis is an okay owner but he's nothing special. He hung on to McPhee too long and you can argue he hung onto Grunfeld too long as well. He's not the outside the box thinker that a Marc Cuban is for example.

Sure he's better than Dan Snyder but that's like saying Donald Trump is less sleazy than Vince McMahon.

May 4th is Livan Hernandez bobblehead night. 

It was announced yesterday that June 4th is Ryan Zimmerman walk-off HR bobblehead night. 

https://twitter.com/Nationals/status/563750428416802817

Those are probably two days you should have circled on your calendar. It doesn't matter if you like bobbleheads or not. This is **** you should hoard in your room so when people come in you can proudly show these mementos of team memorabilia off and say "I was PROUD to be here on THIS DAY to receive this CHERISHED item" 

Was anyone at the Rizzo Hot Stove event today?

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2015/2/7/7999395/rizzo-at-fan-event-today-espinosa-is-definitely-giving-up-switch

According to this, Rizzo said that Espinosa is giving up switch hitting.

It'll be interesting to see if it works at all but I highly doubt it. When you spend your entire life switch hitting, and now you have to see right handed pitches from a righty pov, that is a hell of an adjustment. I know everyone points to Shane Victorino but Victorino had a track record of being a real good hitter.

It'll be interesting to see if it works at all but I highly doubt it. When you spend your entire life switch hitting, and now you have to see right handed pitches from a righty pov, that is a hell of an adjustment. I know everyone points to Shane Victorino but Victorino had a track record of being a real good hitter.Can'

I can hope, right? I dunno, even a decent improvement might be enough to get him the job. If he could go back to OPSing .694/.707 against RHP (his 2012 and 2011 numbers), he could push for the starting job.

Look at this way, could he really be much worse than he has been the last couple seasons?

There are only so many spots where you could conceivably add a bat to this current roster. 

Would anyone think that Carlos Gonzalez could be plucked away from Colorado? 

What about Jay Bruce? 

I think due to each of their recent injury bumps, they could be a reasonable devaluation on investment cost, with good potential payoff, per the bat.

What would be folks valuation on pie-in-the-sky Michael Brantley?

If I could pluck Brantley away from the Tribe, not saying it's easy, infact I think he is a major run producer by all effective advanced metric standards, I'd cal that a win.

But, at the same time, I've been a fan of CarGo for a number of years. I'd probably want CarGo ahead of Bruce, but behind Brantley. Bruce may simply just have a Willingham type impact, if got. But I remember a few years back he had a breakout season that made me turn my head (2012, I think). 

There are only so many spots where you could conceivably add a bat to this current roster. 

Would anyone think that Carlos Gonzalez could be plucked away from Colorado? 

What about Jay Bruce? 

I think due to each of their recent injury bumps, they could be a reasonable devaluation on investment cost, with good potential payoff, per the bat.

What would be folks valuation on pie-in-the-sky Michael Brantley?

If I could pluck Brantley away from the Tribe, not saying it's easy, infact I think he is a major run producer by all effective advanced metric standards, I'd cal that a win.

But, at the same time, I've been a fan of CarGo for a number of years. I'd probably want CarGo ahead of Bruce, but behind Brantley. Bruce may simply just have a Willingham type impact, if got. But I remember a few years back he had a breakout season that made me turn my head (2012, I think). 

I think CarGo can be had, but he has an expensive contract, and is rapidly approaching 30.

Jay Bruce . . . no thanks. Not unless he has a big rebound. On top of that, I'm not sure if this lineup needs another guy with a K rate over 25%.

Michael Brantley, maybe, but I don't see the Indians giving him up without a huge haul.

Eh, I wanted Zobrist.

I think CarGo can be had, but he has an expensive contract, and is rapidly approaching 30.

Jay Bruce . . . no thanks. Not unless he has a big rebound. On top of that, I'm not sure if this lineup needs another guy with a K rate over 25%.

Michael Brantley, maybe, but I don't see the Indians giving him up without a huge haul.

Eh, I wanted Zobrist.

Didn't we already have this conversation? 

Could have sworn. You remember, the one about losing something odd and special after Morse left, Dunn left, I even added Willingham.

Thing is though, this might be odd logic, Bruce is the one guy from that list who is like Wiggy and/or Bash Brother Morse. He's also the only guy to collect over 100 RBI in a single season, between CarGo and Brantley. And Bruce had 3 consecutive seasons of 90+ RBI. The others can't claim it. 

Like I said, I'd probably place Bruce #3 on the list. 

As per CarGo's and Bruce's age, I mean, this whole conversation of trading for a bat is inherently conceding that we'd be spending money for an immediate solution for a change at a W.S. appearance within a one, two year window. So, age 30 or 29, really doesn't register as a necessary side topic. 

Theoretically, I think you got to hope for a bounce back from CarGo in the same way, same sense, as you do Bruce. Because of the injury. I remember playing with a guy who torn up his knee in the batter's box after a helluva swing / smash. I just wonder in CarGo might be hesitant to put so much torque on that patella tendon, here on out.  

Though, I agree with you, that if we're talking a more complete bat, I'd want CarGo ahead of Bruce. 

As per Brantley, I felt I needed to include him since he's like the kind-of hitter who reached rarified air in terms of quirky combination stats. I read something provoking about the 20-20 stat (20 HRs & 20 Stolen Bases).

The only thing is though, I wonder if Brantley can repeat his 2014 season, or if he's a one-hit wonder, so to speak. 

Bruce and Morse are nothing alike. Morse hits for average.

More over, where the heck are we going to play another outfielder?

Well, where are we going to put another infielder?

To me, the only options in a trade for a bat is the outfield. Where are we going to play him?

You remove someone. Or, you platoon, under the selling idea of "platoon for rings."

Unrealistic and rare to trade for a Sandy Alomar Jr. or Posey type, at catcher. The infield is already spoken for, all the way across. We already traded for that 2nd baseman. We know what's going on at Short, 3rd and 1st.

Nothing alike?

Take batting average out. Nothing alike? 

Forget comps that are exactly alike in every detail, use generalizations. Simply, a guy whose role is clearly defined as being a power bat, someone to mash. 

When we said to Morse, swing for the fences, that's when creeped up to 120+ strike outs. Yes, Bruce is more like Willingham and more like Dunn in terms of strike outs. But nothing the same ...? 

It's the same bin labelled "power bats" from whence each comes from ... in the macro view. 

Well, where are we going to put another infielder?

To me, the only options in a trade for a bat is the outfield. Where are we going to play him?

You remove someone. Or, you platoon, under the selling idea of "platoon for rings."

Unrealistic and rare to trade for a Sandy Alomar Jr. or Posey type, at catcher. The infield is already spoken for, all the way across. We already traded for that 2nd baseman. We know what's going on at Short, 3rd and 1st.

Nothing alike?

Take batting average out. Nothing alike? 

Forget comps that are exactly alike in every detail, use generalizations. Simply, a guy whose role is clearly defined as being a power bat, someone to mash. 

When we said to Morse, swing for the fences, that's when creeped up to 120+ strike outs. Yes, Bruce is more like Willingham and more like Dunn in terms of strike outs. But nothing the same ...? 

It's the same bin labelled "power bats" from whence each comes from ... in the macro view. 

Second base. Don't care what anyone says, Escobar is meh. There is a ton of room for improvement there. Where as in the outfield we have Werth (not going anywhere), supposedly one of the best defensive CFers in baseball coming off his best year in 5 seasons and was probably the most valuable OFer on the team last season. Oh and Bryce Harper that everyone else seems to think is some sort of baseball god. Why on Earth would we replace any of them with Jay Bruce and his negative WAR? Dude has regressed three seasons in a row.

Batting average makes a world of difference. Bruce plays decent defense. He can steal a base. He strikes out more and doesn't hit for average. And again, he's regressed three seasons in a row. Bruce doesn't take walks like Willingham or Dunn.

CarGo has a huge contract and can't stay healthy. And his away splits should be cause for concern.

I don't feel like giving up Giolito for Brantley coming off a career year in which his BABIP was 20 points higher than ever and his slugging was 100 points higher. Yea, but suspicious. Not really feeling giving up Giolito and pieces after one good season from Brantley.

The Nationals were 10th in home runs last season with a significant amount of  time missed by their power bats. Another power bat is not what this team needs. The ability to make contact and conduct situational hitting is what this team needs to work on.

How many 2nd base bats are there to die for?

How do you plan to get Pedroia, anyhow?

Cause that's really the only name that pops into my head right away as to who I'd want at 2nd for both bat and glove. Love Pedroia. 

Span runs cold, a lot. And you know it. 

Besides, his trade value was never higher than last summer. He should have been traded. Yeah, I said it. Missed opportunity.

Of course his defense is stellar. I do have eyes. I still would have traded him last summer if it meant I could have added a 2nd baseman and another bat, with him offsetting any real loss from the pipeline. Walters, for example. 

So, is Span irreplaceable for you?

Can't tell if you're being facetious about him or just for Harp. It always could be that Span reached his career year last year, as he's 30 now. 

You really glazed over Werth. Having Werth at least platoon with CarGo shouldn't be a taboo subject. To be honest, Werth has had a great run after year one, here. But with his age, how much longer does he have being at the top of his game? 

You know the old adage, better one year early than a year late (per trading away players). If I had to pick one guy for platoon, it would be Werth.

But no, you're right, despite saying at least twice now that Bruce is not my first choice, nor my only option, you have me removing one of the starters, straight up, and adding Bruce with him being heralded as the almighty.

Is this your normal tactic in debate?

'Cause if so, I might just stop responding altogether. You know damn well what I've already written about Bruce. 

Yeah, and I'd love to have Mike Trout, but we have Harper instead. I never called Harp a God, and I can tell by your tone you don't think that either. Yes, I agree with you that he's here, no matter what. 

To play rotation game with Werth and someone else, ain't the end of the world. I could live without Span for that matter, or he could platoon. I don't care. 

Well, who is this 2nd base God of Pepper that we're gonna get as soon as you're GM? 

I wanted Zobrist. Actually I wanted Donaldson and move Rendon to second. I would have settled for Cabrera or Stephen Drew and keeping Tyler Clippard.

Why are even talking about Bruce? He's not good. He doesn't start with everyone healthy. Span is in a contract year, so yea, I'll bet on that. Werth is getting paid too much to be a platoon bat. Especially when he OPS' d .850 last season. Even if he regresses, he's still starting. They're not paying him 21 million to be the light side of a LF platoon.

Bruce is average to bad. CarGo is expensive, injury prone, and has questionable away splits. Brantley is unrealistic.

Archived