Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

2016 AGS goes to San Diego. which likely lines up Nats or marlins park in 2017.

Marlins park would be awful, for the derby especially.

Guys would be throwing out their lats left and right trying to muscle it out of that black hole of a ballpark. Winner would hit 7 total.

Here's a question from an Ian Desmond fan. Can plate discipline be learned? Can Rick Schu work with a guy like Desi and say "Listen, cut down the swing. We'll take 12-15 homers a year from you instead of 20 to 25 if you cut your strikeout rate down."?

Are there examples of free-swinging MLB players who've reversed high strikeout rates?

Not really. Not at that level. By then the player has spent years, decades even, with their approach. You can refine it somewhat, but it takes a ton of work and it's usually not much of a gain.

Not really. Not at that level. By then the player has spent years, decades even, with their approach. You can refine it somewhat, but it takes a ton of work and it's usually not much of a gain.

Desi changes his approach from AB to AB and pitch to pitch. That's why he has such a good "clutch situation" batting average and such good RBI numbers.

Desi changes his approach from AB to AB and pitch to pitch. That's why he has such a good "clutch situation" batting average and such good RBI numbers.

Desi just swings at everything.

ive got a question about desmond. looking at his stats, when it comes to batting average with RISP, a few (more or less) everyday players like werth, span, ramos and zim all have a better average. (not knocking him, cuz its not like his average with RISP is bad, just trying to contextualize it). not sure at the moment what the overall league average is, but i'll try to find it.

heres one stat that i'm looking into- (from http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/2014-batting.shtml)

Team PH/HR/Situ Hitting*

if i'm reading it right, desmond comes to bat with the most baserunners on the team (462), second only to laroche (437). this would seem to be a factor in his high RBI.

as far as baserunners who scored, hes second to werth. but, as a percentage, hes behind zim, werth, ramos, laroche, rendon and a few other non everyday players. 

my question is, is desmonds high RBI simply a result of him coming to the plate with the most runners on base? or, am i completely reading the stats wrong. 

ive got a question about desmond. looking at his stats, when it comes to batting average with RISP, a few (more or less) everyday players like werth, span, ramos and zim all have a better average. (not knocking him, cuz its not like his average with RISP is bad, just trying to contextualize it). not sure at the moment what the overall league average is, but i'll try to find it.

heres one stat that i'm looking into- (from http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/2014-batting.shtml)

Team PH/HR/Situ Hitting*

if i'm reading it right, desmond comes to bat with the most baserunners on the team (462), second only to laroche (437). this would seem to be a factor in his high RBI.

as far as baserunners who scored, hes second to werth. but, as a percentage, hes behind zim, werth, ramos, laroche, rendon and a few other non everyday players. 

my question is, is desmonds high RBI simply a result of him coming to the plate with the most runners on base? or, am i completely reading the stats wrong. 

Most likely. Most statistical analysis points to RBIs not really being a function of the hitter so much as the hitters in front of him. Given the rather high OBPs in front of Desmond, it makes sense that he would get the most RBI chances.

But that is generally speaking and usually examining statistics over the course of a career. There are, of course, exceptions. And it's possible that Desmond does something different with runners on. Then the question would be why doesn't he do that all the time. But more than likely, it has to do with pitchers pitching differently with runners on, particularly with less than 2 outs. They're more likely to try and throw strikes and avoid throwing breaking balls in the dirt. As a result, Desmond gets more fastballs to hit. And Desmond likes hitting fastballs.

Most likely. Most statistical analysis points to RBIs not really being a function of the hitter so much as the hitters in front of him. Given the rather high OBPs in front of Desmond, it makes sense that he would get the most RBI chances.

But that is generally speaking and usually examining statistics over the course of a career. There are, of course, exceptions. And it's possible that Desmond does something different with runners on. Then the question would be why doesn't he do that all the time. But more than likely, it has to do with pitchers pitching differently with runners on, particularly with less than 2 outs. They're more likely to try and throw strikes and avoid throwing breaking balls in the dirt. As a result, Desmond gets more fastballs to hit. And Desmond likes hitting fastballs.

This makes sense.

Is there a stat that shows how often he Ks with no runners on base? My bad memory says he usually has a very weak AB his first time up, especially if there are no runners on base: Curve away - swing/strike, pitch low & in - swing/strike, curve in the dirt - swing/K. 

This makes sense.

Is there a stat that shows how often he Ks with no runners on base? My bad memory says he usually has a very weak AB his first time up, especially if there are no runners on base: Curve away - swing/strike, pitch low & in - swing/strike, curve in the dirt - swing/K. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=desmoia01&year=2014&t=b

With no one on base, he hit .255/.312/.440/ 32% K rate

With runners on, he hit .254/.315/.419/ 24% K rate

Boz just ripped into the trade and Boz is a Nats homer 

Kornheiser was furious but said that there was this thought that an everyday position player was more valuable than a reliever who doesn't play every day. It doesn't matter, the guy they dealt for (I already forgot his name) isn't that good and isn't as valuable as Clippard was 

Rumor has it that Rizzo wants Daniel Murphy from the Mets for Desmond. Not sure if we would receive prospects in return

I would assume so. One year of a 5 WAR player for one year of a 3 WAR player isn't a fair deal, straight up. Rizzo isn't normally taken advantage of like that, and I seriously doubt it would happen with a division rival.

Love Desi, but id be all for that trade.

Why?

Why?

Just feel like Murphy has a more sustainable style and approach, especially for the post season. Very consistent.

Desmond is great when hes hot, but when hes not hes another Espinosa. And he will always have his struggles in the field.

Escobar/Murphy > Desmond/Escobar up the middle, imo.

Archived