Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

Would love to take this opportunity to thank all the #nats fans, each and everyone of you had a huge impact on my life, I am very greatful!

I loved every second of my time in DC, through the ups and downs the good and bad, every second was wonderful. Thanks forever Nats Nation!

I normally give Rizzo the benefit of the doubt due to track record but we lost this trade.

Clip's been on top for a while now. This history of middle relievers says he's due for a drop-off at some point. I'm in wait and see mode. Something tells me this could be a precursor to another move.

One thing I like about Escobar's numbers is that he's only about an 11% strikeout guy.  He's never had more than 75 in a season.

In 4,418 plate appearances, Escobar has 498 strikeouts.

By shockingly stark contrast, Danny Espinosa has 554 strikeouts in only 1,959 plate appearances.

One thing I like about Escobar's numbers is that he's only about an 11% strikeout guy.  He's never had more than 75 in a season.

In 4,418 plate appearances, Escobar has 498 strikeouts.

By shockingly stark contrast, Danny Espinosa has 554 strikeouts in only 1,959 plate appearances.

Yeah, Escobar isn't a stud but he at least puts the bat on the ball and makes contact. At worst he'll hit 8th, give us .250 BA and not be a guaranteed 3 strikeout per night guy. We'll get plenty of offense from other guys and with our starting pitching, it's not like we need a lot.

Yeah, Escobar isn't a stud but he at least puts the bat on the ball and makes contact. At worst he'll hit 8th, give us .250 BA and not be a guaranteed 3 strikeout per night guy. We'll get plenty of offense from other guys and with our starting pitching, it's not like we need a lot.

This, from Mark Zuckerman:

"His 11 percent strikeout rate last season was better than everybody on the Nats’ roster besides Denard Span."

Zuckerman has a pretty good breakdown of the trade and all the questions it raised among Nats fans:

http://natsinsider.com/2015/01/15/more-thoughts-on-the-clippard-escobar-trade/

Here's a question from an Ian Desmond fan. Can plate discipline be learned? Can Rick Schu work with a guy like Desi and say "Listen, cut down the swing. We'll take 12-15 homers a year from you instead of 20 to 25 if you cut your strikeout rate down."?

Are there examples of free-swinging MLB players who've reversed high strikeout rates?

Archived