Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

2016 was supposed to go to the O's.

It bounces between AL and NL each year. The understanding was that if the Os got 2016, the Nats would not get 2017 due to proximity and would have to wait until 2019 at the earliest. Angelos really pissed off MLB with this MASN dispute, and it seems that played a part in not giving the 2016 ASG to Bmore.

I'm of the mindset that you don't trade a player to a division rival unless you're certain he's due for a significant dropoff in production. I wonder if Rizzo feels that way about Desi.

I had the same thought. I really don't think he gets resigned here, and ends up signing a Jason Bay/Curtis Granderson deal that is just an albatross.

I don't think Ryan Howard is too far off as a comp...

Wow. Desmond nearly apart of a 3 team blockbuster trade. Fell through though.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washington-nationals-new-york-mets-tampa-bay-rays-ian-desmond-ben-zobrist-trade-011115

Mets didnt wanna give up top prospects.

Interesting side note to that article - one player the Rays got in the Zobrist trade was Boog Powell. They must have had him thrown in for his barbecue.

Kinda hoping we get a top prospect as well. Clip is a 2x all star.

Gotta hope. I mean Clippard for Escobar straight up is pretty meh.

Escobar is 32 and hasnt had a decent offensive season since 2011.He's basically Asdrubel Cabrera with less power and better defense. Honestly, he's not much of an improvement over Danny. He's under contract through 2016, so I guess he's Desmond's replacement.

Unless another prospect is involved, this deal looks pretty poor, IMO

If it's straight up, it's likely due to contracts. Escobar signed thru 17, Clippard's last year before free agency.

Who cares? Nats have plenty of payroll flexibility. They're under last year by 20+ million. Escobar is a poor hitting, good fielding middle infielder. They already have that on the roster.

And Escobar has a history of being a headache.

Archived