Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does the overall ineptitude and fail of this franchise make you enjoy professional football less?

Boss_Hogg

127 members have voted

1. 1. Does the overall ineptitude and fail of this franchise make you enjoy professional football less?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

I don't know about the team but the incessant whiny, weepy teeth-gnashing-hair-pulling-hold-our-breath-'til-we-turn-blue hysterics here lately sure as hell makes this board a lot less entertaining

Lately? Where have you been?

Well, when a team has been consistently bad since Clinton's first term, and a whole generation of fans know nothing but disappointment, it tends to make you a little pessimistic.

Exactly.

Snyder Year One = Snyder Year 23. Those who think he hasn't killed this organization are blind because the truth is sitting on their faces.

You don't watch soccer do you.  Arsenal has been struggling the last couple years and Man U didn't even make the top 4 or the Champions league.  Man City came out of nowhere and has leapfrogged into the top 4 and taken the top spot the last couple years.

I admit to not watching much premier league, ... Is this graph incorrect?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/92-14_prem_history.png

According to that, Man U finished 7th last year ....prior to that they haven't finish lower than 3rd since 1993, and of course won the league something like 12 times or something in that time period, too lazy to  count or look it up.

Arsenal has finished  at least 4th every year since  2002 ... you consider than struggling?   That would be like an NFL team reaching the NFC/AFC championship every year, for the past ten years (but never quite winning).   The closest example I can think of would be the 49ers, who reached at least the NFC champiionship every year for the past three years.   I don't think many NFL fans would call the 49ers struggling.     

Yes I'm aware of Man City.   I think somerich dude came in and decided to throw a bunch money at them...  in the premier league there's no draft at all, money buys you performance.   (Maybe not a championship, but thats a pretty high bar)

Discounting those fans  who grew up with their local team .... premier league is either for front runners who can guarantee the team they root for will be competitive, or masochists who can pretty much guarantee their teams won't be.  

If the Redskins were in soccer they would be fighting to avoid Relegation every year.  Which would at least be exciting.  Actually, though the Skins would have dropped down to the 10th division league of the football league pyramid by now with their ineptitude.

If the NFL was like the Premier league, Dan would outspend most of the owners in the league and the Redskins would at least make the playoffs every year

Maybe Monday will be the day we turn it around? Maybe three years from now we will say "Remember that Monday Night game against Seattle? That was when it started."

This is exactly the sentiment that keeps me coming back time and time again. I want to stop watching, but I could never forgive myself if i miss the turnaround if and when it happens. So while I may not purchase anymore Redskins anything until they do in fact, turn it around, I certainly wont stop watching. I may watch less enthusastically as the season wears on, but watch I will.

I will make this suggestion that can help alleviate the problem posed in the subject of this thread.  When the Redskins are off to one of their terrible seasons (and at the point of week 4 or 5 in EVERY SINGLE SEASON for now 15 SEASONS straight, that has been the case), I would suggest you go to a online sports gaming site and plunk down either $50 or $100 bucks that the Redskins will win the NFC Conference.

Right now, you will get 100 to 1 odds.  Which means, a $100 bet could turn into $10,000.  You want to have something to root for for at least the next month or two....if you place that bet, it will get you going again.   Imagine this was 2005, 2007 or 2012 and you placed that bet at week 4 of any of those seasons.  Imagine how much you would still be watching them and then euphoric as those seasons went through December.  Of course, they fell short, but it would certainly keep your interest

Unfortunately yes;  watching sports is supposed to be a diversion from real life but with this team it ends up being stressful instead.  The combination of constant losing, embarrassing crap on and off the field, the name change debate, the franchise QB showing so much promise then getting hurt again and again -- it's really not fun at all.

Plus I think this local media market does everything it can to make fans of this team miserable, and I don't want to sound like a conspiracy nut.  We have a lot of bad 'writers and reporters' that blatantly make things up or don't bother checking their facts, and it spreads like wildfire.  And nobody is throwing a pity party about it because the national perspective is 'F Dan Snyder'. 

As far as other fanbases.. I dont care too much but, it would be easier to deal with being bad but generally liked as an underdog (Browns) or being good and hated (Patriots), but being both BAD and HATED is a crappy hand to draw. 

I admit to not watching much premier league, ... Is this graph incorrect?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/92-14_prem_history.png

According to that, Man U finished 7th last year ....prior to that they haven't finish lower than 3rd since 1993, and of course won the league something like 12 times or something in that time period, too lazy to  count or look it up.

Arsenal has finished  at least 4th every year since  2002 ... you consider than struggling?   That would be like an NFL team reaching the NFC/AFC championship every year, for the past ten years (but never quite winning).   The closest example I can think of would be the 49ers, who reached at least the NFC champiionship every year for the past three years.   I don't think many NFL fans would call the 49ers struggling.     

Yes I'm aware of Man City.   I think somerich dude came in and decided to throw a bunch money at them...  in the premier league there's no draft at all, money buys you performance.   (Maybe not a championship, but thats a pretty high bar)

Discounting those fans  who grew up with their local team .... premier league is either for front runners who can guarantee the team they root for will be competitive, or masochists who can pretty much guarantee their teams won't be.  

If the NFL was like the Premier league, Dan would outspend most of the owners in the league and the Redskins would at least make the playoffs every year

Arsenal had a "9 Year" trophy drought until they won the FA Cup this May. Considering their are 4 trophies/titles each year that means they failed to win a tournament or league title in 36 tournaments/competitions. I'm not an Arsenal fan but I'm pretty sure that decade was not considered successful by the fans (embarassing would be more like it) and people were calling for Arsene Wengers head.

united have been in trouble because Ferguson retired. his replacement Moyes was fired after last year. it remains to be seen if Van Gaal can succeed.

there are probably 7-8 teams out of 22 that have a shot at the 4 champions league spots. then maybe 9-10 teams that have a shot at the two Europa league spaces. So roughly half the league have eyes on those two tournaments. then you have the FA Cup and League Cup which all the teams have a shot at winning because the top teams usually play their B team players in order to rest their starters for the league games and champions league braces. then the bottom 7-10 teams are trying to avoid dele legation as well so every game is important.

you are fooling yourself if you think the NFL is any different. there are maybe 5-6 teams that have the personnel to legitimately win a Super Bowl. under your belief the rest of the teams are playing for nothing so it is boring.

As far as Snyder, he would be horrible in the Premier League. he'd be one of the poorer owners and still make moronic personnel decisions. the only difference is his team would flame out of the top league and end up being in what is the equivalent of double a ball. Also the Glazers own United and Tampa has won a Super Bowl during the Redskin drought. This kind of blind hero worship of Snyder as someone who is spending a lot of money is what is hurting the franchise.

Lately? Where have you been?

I've been here

I've been here for 40+ years

I've been here through the good and the bad and the worse than bad and the OMGWTFRU doin out there, again and again

Trust me, I know, I get it but sometimes you just need to settle back and savor the peace n quiet of the STFU corner

I've been here

I've been here for 40+ years

I've been here through the good and the bad and the worse than bad and the OMGWTFRU doin out there, again and again

Trust me, I know, I get it but sometimes you just need to settle back and savor the peace n quiet of the STFU corner

LOL I love the STFU corner. :)

Funny thing is, everyone on this message board thinks that the Redskins will lose to a better team tonight but they will all be here after the game and in the morning going OMGWTFRU like they had banked on a win the entire week.

BTW- I'm picking the Skins tonight and it still won't change anything in the long run if I'm right.

I'd bet Per Mertesacker, Yaya Toure, and Vincent Kompany would all mop the floor with your ass lol

And then we'd have Suarez come and bite you lol

One things for sure, you'd miss the mopping as you would have turned the game off to go grocery shopping or something.

And as an Arsenal fan, most of what You're next said is true.

Still I wouldn't equate the 9 year drought as embarrassing. Maybe just disappointing

But if the Skins were in the premier league, they'd buy everything because they are the 2nd-3rd most valuable franchise. They would be ****ting money

One things for sure, you'd miss the mopping as you would have turned the game off to go grocery shopping or something.

corn.jpg

The drama in this thread is Emmy worthy, it really is. And this is coming from someone who has been accused throughout his life of being overly emotional about the skins in all facets. But this thread is just glorious in terms of the melodrama. Seriously, this is red carpet stuff.

The drama in this thread is Emmy worthy, it really is. And this is coming from someone who has been accused throughout his life of being overly emotional about the skins in all facets. But this thread is just glorious in terms of the melodrama. Seriously, this is red carpet stuff.

We don't do anything half-a$$ed around here.

I put not sure.

What will cause me to enjoy pro football less if a PC Society force an owner of a franchise to change the team's name.

But that another thread.

I've been a fan all my life. I've been a member of this board for a long time as well, but I am getting burned out. I am not near as passionate about the games. I use to plan days off work (2nd shift) to be able to watch the Monday/Thursday night games but since it's about a 95% chance we'll lose every one of those games, I stopped. 

I'm saying this because I'll never stop being a "Redskin" fan, but I absolutely find myself wishing there was an "out". I sometimes wish they would be forced to change the name so I can give myself a legit reason to stop being a fan. The problem is, I could never be as passionate about another team so I would probably give up NFL football all together. Just be a casual fan like I am of the NBA. It's sad, and I'm sure some of you Rambos would like to torch me for saying that...but I'm just wore out with the constant losing and trash talk from all the "Eagle, Cowboy, GIant" fans. Especially the ones who change teams as soon as a losing season pops up. 

I've been a fan all my life. I've been a member of this board for a long time as well, but I am getting burned out. I am not near as passionate about the games. I use to plan days off work (2nd shift) to be able to watch the Monday/Thursday night games but since it's about a 95% chance we'll lose every one of those games, I stopped. 

I'm saying this because I'll never stop being a "Redskin" fan, but I absolutely find myself wishing there was an "out". I sometimes wish they would be forced to change the name so I can give myself a legit reason to stop being a fan. The problem is, I could never be as passionate about another team so I would probably give up NFL football all together. Just be a casual fan like I am of the NBA. It's sad, and I'm sure some of you Rambos would like to torch me for saying that...but I'm just wore out with the constant losing and trash talk from all the "Eagle, Cowboy, GIant" fans. Especially the ones who change teams as soon as a losing season pops up. 

Man I feel exactly like you do. I'm already sick of football right now. Don't feel like watching any games. Every Sunday from here on out I will be playing golf and I will DVR the Redskins games. All other games I'll just watch the highlights.

Lord YES I enjoy football less!

For several years I have found myself becoming more and more detached from both the Redskins and the NFL.

With the exception of RGIII's first year when I sucked back in, I had been giving up almost completely earlier and earlier every year and started avoiding the games.

Now I more or less let out a sigh of relief when the playoffs come around because the hurt goes away. Then I can watch real adult teams play. The fact that the Redskins never play at the same level, and just don't look as if they will be at that level at any point in the near or distant future is just depressing as hell.

Sad.

In a way yes, but that's because I don't care about 31 other teams, I'm a Redskins fan. Yes the ineptitude has made the NFL less enjoyable to me, as a side effect though it's made Saturday matter more than Sunday. If I'm off Sunday, I'll have the Red Zone Channel on, but Saturday is College Football, I love that I have the B1G and SEC networks, and the realization that I have about 8-9 games to choose from at a time, and now with the play-off this season has been one of the best College seasons I've seen

Since Gibbs retired, every season of the Redkins has pretty much turned into a prelude to Wizards basketball for me.

Nevermind that the Wizards franchise is its own little disaster, but at least the Wizards have had a few playoff runs, young players whose growth you could follow, and whilst settled with a terrible GM, an owner that's as likable as Snyder is despicable.

As a longtime Washington fan and extreme skins poster, this season represents a new low point for me.

I'm done watching this team after week five, a new record, and have absolutely no interest in what this squad does for the remainder of the year, nor do I have any faith that things are going to get appreciably better anytime soon.

Since Gibbs retired, every season of the Redkins has pretty much turned into a prelude to Wizards basketball for me.

Nevermind that the Wizards franchise is its own little disaster, but at least the Wizards have had a few playoff runs, young players whose growth you could follow, and whilst settled with a terrible GM, an owner that's as likable as Snyder is despicable.

As a longtime Washington fan and extreme skins poster, this season represents a new low point for me.

I'm done watching this team after week five, a new record, and have absolutely no interest in what this squad does for the remainder of the year, nor do I have any faith that things are going to get appreciably better anytime soon.

There is irony in this post and many others in the thread. Not sure anyone else sees it?

I love my Skins and will always be a fan.  I am getting burned out on the off field drama.  I'm tired of pro sports making millionaires out of morons.  I would be happy watching the replacement players playing for a normal working man's wage in a uniform.  I don't need to see some super human hulk playing football.  I know some average guys playing semi-pro that put on just as good a show.  Small College and High School Football is also just as entertaining but they don't get the overhype of that sports network that shows highlights over and over again.  I can't really agree that the quality in pro football is any better than the people that played in the early years.  They were smaller in stature but they hit just as hard.  Rule changes have also took away a lot of real football play.

Luckily, I've been a college football fan more than NFL.  They play with heart and still have some class when they score a touchdown.

The NFL is (IMO) becoming more thuggish and that's really sad.   So I'm finding I'm watching less and less and less.   I've had the NFL sunday ticket since it was first launched.  This will be my last year.    Sadly NFL is following the NBA.      

Archived