Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does the overall ineptitude and fail of this franchise make you enjoy professional football less?

Boss_Hogg

127 members have voted

1. 1. Does the overall ineptitude and fail of this franchise make you enjoy professional football less?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

I really hate when we end streaks.. losing is bad enough, but when teams like the lions, rams, and texans havent won in 10+ games, and we're always the team they beat, makes the loss twice as bad.  thursday we gave up eli mannings first rushing td since 2011. a few years back we allowed the packers their first 100 yard rusher in X games.  we are always the streak ender, and its become embarassing.

I find the product getting harder to watch as a whole, with or without my Redskins. I'm old skool I guess, when it comes to football. I love defensive battles, & 3 yards & a cloud of dust. I love nasty hits, & skill position intimidation. These are the main reasons I love football. The more they change the sport towards flag, or a 7on7 type of skill game, the less I want to watch football, & the more I'd rather watch Hockey, or Soccer. Those sports are meant to be played that way, & football is becoming less of what makes it different, & more of the same.

Also...I pretty much concur with the OP in that when we suck as we have for as long as we have, I find it upsetting to watch other teams play competent football, & garner praise, & accolades. It's like having an amazing fling with the model trophy chick for a short time, & then being forced to watch as she ends up cheating on you with your neighbor who also works with you in the same department. They get married, he has pictures everywhere, he gloats about how awesome married life is with his amazeballs wifey. She brings him baked goods, & wonderful lunch nuggets to the office on occasion. They have glorious neighborhood block parties, & often frequent the same establishments, & on the odd instance you can hear them making whoopy.

That's how I feel about the NFL when we suck. Welcome to my world.

They are coming for hockey next.

I'm enjoying professional football less now than ever before, but think its more of the overall NFL experience with the rule changes, slow pace, announcers that take it upon themselves to make social stands by not saying a team nickname, rules handcuffing defense, emphasis on player "safety" etc.  

All the points you listed here are exactly why I dont really care much if I have something else going on on Sundays. Its not the Skins being a below average team, I can deal with that if the sport is fun. I mean, we've all dealt with that for the last 20 years havent we? Its the NFL thats making the NFL less enjoyable to watch.

Lets go Caps!

PS the only way any of this changes is if we as fans stop pouring money and ratings into the NFL. How many of you are going to do that?

All the points you listed here are exactly why I dont really care much if I have something else going on on Sundays. Its not the Skins being a below average team, I can deal with that if the sport is fun. I mean, we've all dealt with that for the last 20 years havent we? Its the NFL thats making the NFL less enjoyable to watch.

Lets go Caps!

PS the only way any of this changes is if we as fans stop pouring money and ratings into the NFL. How many of you are going to do that?

Answer: almost no one. Jaded Redskins fans might take out their frustration by turning away from the league as a whole, but it's such a small % that it won't make a dent.

Think of this, the playoff games in MLB the last two nights drew lower ratings than NFL pre season games. The NFL has so far to fall before anything changes that even minor dips won't make a difference.

Honest question, do you have a harder time watching football after witnessing this abomination of a franchise?

I voted yes ... 

When the skins are playing well everything jives better. the sugar is sweeter and the sky is bluer. 

I really won’t ever go out of my way for any games except for Skins games anyway.  Unless we got a juicy storyline.  I watched all of the last Eagles game, I’ll watch all of the Cincy vs. Pats game, just cause I want to see what Brady does.

But, yeah,when the Skins go south, it makes it tough to watch any football. 

The greatest thing that could happen to this team is to fire Jim Haslett!

I disagree. Snyder selling the team would be the single-greatest sports moment in history for me.

I voted yes. Also- I stand with those embarrassed to be a Washington Redskins fan. I always find myself using an apologetic or bashful tone when telling someone who I root for.

My company is hosting an event for hundreds of employees, vendors, and customers on Saturday. I've had the opportunity to meet and chat with a lot of awesome folks.

I do however, quiver when football is brought up:

Random Person: "Do you like the Ravens?"

Me: "I don't like the Ravens"

Random Person: "Why not? They're the home team and they're good every year plus the stadium looks nice"

Me: "I'm a Redskins fan."

Standard replies to "I'm a Redskins fan"

"Do you think they'll change their name?"

"Dan Snyder is a ruthless ****"

"I think the name is racist"

"RGIII is a bust"

"I feel sorry for you"

"Why?"

I'm the only Redskins fan in the entire building, everyone else likes the Ravens, Cowboys or Steelers and frankly I don't blame them.

I have to admit that my limit has all but been reached. Just another failed season blah blah blah enter excuses here_________.

I went to bed before half time last week. I wasent gonna lose sleep over this franchise. I didn't get excited during the jaguars game because face it, it's only the jags. The only team worst than us. Maybe.

I barely watched football at all this past Sunday. Didn't really care. Just needed a break. Tired of watching every other team execute basic plays and fundamentals of the game. Something we just can't do.

So I'm looking forward to being embarrassed on national television yet again this Monday when the Seahawks destroy us. Eventually Hasslett will be let go. Until then. Just blahhhhb

As we discuss this, the Patriots are getting wiped out in Kansas City.  And New England has been a Contender for years.

Yeah but the Patriots dont have the losing track record like the Skins have. All teams may have bad games but most  teams can rebound, except this team. We seem to amplify how bad we are, continually.

And on top of that, the game was in KC. We get our asses handed to us on a routinely bases at home.

Reading these responses I see a lot of people who probably really SHOULD back away and take a break. The notion that you can't "quit" the team is melodramatic. Of course you can. In my life, I find it rather easy to stop doing things that bring me consistent pain or at least don't bring me any enjoyment. I am not there with the Redskins and likely never will be so I keep going. But I don't feel forced into it. I mean seriously, if you really don't want to do it anymore....just don't.

Hey...look at that....Arsenal won 4-1, & Danny Welbeck may actually be worth the coin. It's refreshing to have a team to root for that actually has a plan, & sticks to its. ..ummm...guns.

Also...the Galaxy, & the Dodgers don't suck, & the Ducks look great on paper. Of course...the Lakers blow, & I look to be done with the NFL just 20 days in...but I guess there are some things to look up to.

That said...my fandom of late has been a quagmire of hope, & disappointment, followed by travesty, & pain. In my world, the Dodgers will lose the NLCS to the Giants, the Galaxy will lose to Seattle or RSL, the Ducks will lose to the Kings...again in the playoffs (or worse...the Sharks or Red Wings), & Arsenal will pull their usual magic trick of owning the top spot, & then falling barely, miserably, into 4th place & another year of ineptitude in the UCL.

Optimistic, I know. Sadly...it just is.

Still...I am most passionate about the Lakers, & Redskins, & right about now I want to....oh hell...

Reading these responses I see a lot of people who probably really SHOULD back away and take a break. The notion that you can't "quit" the team is melodramatic. Of course you can. In my life, I find it rather easy to stop doing things that bring me consistent pain or at least don't bring me any enjoyment. I am not there with the Redskins and likely never will be so I keep going. But I don't feel forced into it. I mean seriously, if you really don't want to do it anymore....just don't.

Giving up and walking away is the easy thing to do and it certainly makes the most sense. But the Redskins have been a part of my family since 1932. In fact, my grandparents first date was a Redskins game in 1946. I'd be abandoning family If I walk away and cheer for the other local team.

I'm not close with my father, in fact we rarely talk to one another. The only bond we ever had was going to Redskins games at RFK stadium.

This horrid franchise is a part of me. I need better coping mechanisms to help me deal with this Redskins disease/affliction.

yeah after looking back on it, people can quit watching a team but still be called a fan. as long as they come back, or continue to like the team and cheer for the team, they have every right to be called a fan :) its the people that quit on the team and never come back at all that should not be called fans.

Giving up and walking away is the easy thing to do and it certainly makes the most sense. But the Redskins have been a part of my family since 1932. In fact, my grandparents first date was a Redskins game in 1946. I'd be abandoning family If I walk away and cheer for the other local team.

I'm not close with my father, in fact we rarely talk to one another. The only bond we ever had was going to Redskins games at RFK stadium.

This horrid franchise is a part of me. I need better coping mechanisms to help me deal with this Redskins disease/affliction.

Yes, sounds like you do.

I'm rare in that I have ZERO affiliation to the DMV. And even more strange is that my parents weren't big football fans and I have NO recollection of choosing the Redskins as my team. It was as if I was born with it because I have no memories other than being a die hard fan.

It is an huge, huge part of my life and always has been. And if a sports team is a huge part of your life then it obviously matters to you if they win or lose. And if they lose too much, it truly does become a burden and constant source of frustration and/anger. I get that and feel it myself.

But somewhere along the line I've managed to continue enjoy the PROCESS of being a Redskins fan. If it is JUST about three hours per week 16 times per year that gives them too much power over me-- and clearly, they've abused their power. So I've raged against it by trying to actually immerse myself in it EVEN MORE. More tailgating, more plans on Friday and Saturday that lead up to the game, etc. I enjoy the banter on ES, draft talk, etc. I also love baseball (Reds) and basketball (Thunder) which helps greatly, but I still love the Redskins and I still make sure to enjoy gameday.

I feel like I have a choice right now:

It's Thursday, we are 1-3 and it doesn't look good.

I can

A) Drown myself in pity and sorrow over our situation and lament the likely Beatdown we are going to witness on Monday. It will make me frustrated and jealous and it will make me not really want to watch football this weekend--- just wishing it all away.

B) Accept that I am powerless and find some joy in the fact that the game HASNT been played yet. So I will watch the games all weekend and enjoy them, knowing that on Monday Night I'll get a chance to watch them again. And maybe they will win and I'll feel awesome.

Maybe Monday will be the day we turn it around? Maybe three years from now we will say "Remember that Monday Night game against Seattle? That was when it started."

Or maybe we lose 34-7 and fall to 1-4.

And then I'll be going to the game in Arizona the next week. And despite the odds, I'll be excited about my trip and a chance to watch them live. Because maybe THAT will be the day we start to turn it around. And even if it isn't, maybe we just get lucky and win one and I get a good memory out of it.

It is more simple than people make it out to be.

I don't know if it's the Redskins per se that is the driving factor your seeing, Kleese or ES itself.  I find there is a herd mentality and when the mood is overwhelmingly negative than everyone sort of competes to be the most pessimistic or cynical (under the guise of realism).  Anything remotely positive is disdained as being homerism as if rooting for the home team and believing in it is a sin.

I find myself infected by it sometimes even when conscious of it and let's be honest, the Redskins are good at generating fodder for negativity.  Mind you, there were lots of hopeful signs budding over the first three games.  It was only the last one that made us appear truly hopeless.  If we're lucky that serves as a catalyst even though a bevy of injuries has left this team thin and hurting in the talent department.

This could still be a building year... a positive year.  It almost certainly was never a Superbowl year.

Archived