Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Jay Gruden, Welcome to Hell

kleese

Either Allen or Snyder himself has to do something with the defensive coaches in general; Haslett and Morris have proven they cannot get the job done. When LBs are covering Cruz its time to move on. This experiment with Haslett has gone on long enough, its time to seriously look for another DC, the faster the better. This time, don't wait to pull the trigger and let a good candidate get signed to another team, because every year teams go on hunt for new OC/DC/HC.

But it touches on a different angle; what accountability do the scouts have in this? Its one thing regarding defense, but even the offense can be questioned. The tallest WR on the team is Garcon [ 6'0 ] and TE Paul  [ 6'1 ]; Paulsen is 6'5, but he appears to be running while towing a car, lumbering, thinking he can hurdle and usually ends up losing the ball; not high on his ability.

I don't think we need to get into the o-line probs, its clear that capable players need to be found.

We all have seen teams go from worst to first in a year, and we've all seen offenses and defense do the same; why is it such an impossible task to take on here?

This is the damn fact and I'm sick of it! Nothing is going to be alright in Washington until that Jack ass Jim Haslett is shown the door! Nothing will get better until he is thrown out of Washington!

This Gruden guy is already at a crucial point as our HC. After last night and with the tough games coming up, we're at risk of getting blown away in both games. That would leave us at 1-5 and things will get real ugly from there. This team is already showing some serious signs of being very undisciplined and if we don't win a game over the next few weeks the pressure is really going to start to mount on Gruden and that's when you could see things really fall apart. All NFL coaches know X's and O's. How they lead men and earn their respect is what really seperates the good HC's from the bad. That's why a lot of guys are great coordinators, but awful HC's.

Someone posted that he doesn't feel sorry for Gruden because he got paid to come in here and change the culture. I couldn't agree more. If he can't handle the pressure of being the head coach and the high expectations that come with being the Redskins head coach, then we clearly have the wrong guy. If he fails and gets fired, are any of you going to feel sorry for him for sitting on his couch on Sundays while getting paid by the Skins and rooting us down. That's what Shanahan is doing now, does anyone feel sorry for him?

Its early but Gruden seems to be a little ****y with his play calling. We have a top 5 RB and our oline is built for the run. Why all the passing plays Jay! And just because you're down 2 TDs at half time dont mean you put the ball in Cousins hand that much!

There was more than enough time to keep feeding AlMo. 12 carries for a game is a joke. I was hoping he had 12 carries in the 1st Qtr. Silly me!

Jay this isnt Cincy. RUN the ball... So much for playing to your teams strengths. Any QB will get killed behond this oline. Dont even have time for a play to develop!

Come on Coach when Seattle comes to town feature Alfred....PLEASE!

HTTR

Hell, I don't even look forward to the draft anymore. Nothing about this team excites me anymore. Nothing.

I'm gonna agree and take it one step further.  Nothing about football excites me anymore.  I used to plan my weekends around watching football, both college and pro.  Now football is at the very bottom of my priority list, and even then I get bored, frustrated, angry, etc within 5 minutes of turning on any game.

Last night, I turned off the Skins game at 14-0 and watched "Big Bang Show" reruns on TBS.  That show at least entertains me and makes me laugh for good reasons, not bad like the Skins do.

I don't know the exact cause but probably about 50-60% of the reason for my turn on football in general is that I'm simply tired of losing every year.  And being a laughingstock almost every year.  Yes, there was 99, a solid year.  But since then we've had 3 playoff teams that honestly weren't very good for much of those respective seasons but got hot at the end and snuck in.  For all that, those 3 teams since 99 have won all of 1 playoff game.  And that was an UGLY win.  Yippee.  As we all know, this franchise has been downright bad since 92.  I guess I'm just burned out on it.

There are other factors.  The name change debate is stressful during games.  Nantz and Simms sounded awkward last night.  Simms for trying to avoid saying it, and Nantz for going out of his way to say it on the Skins first td.  It sounded forced.

Of course, there are the rule changes and turning into a sport I sometimes don't recognize or understand anymore.  For example, first play of the game.  A flag for that?  Really?

I'm just done with it all.  And that kind of saddens me.  I hope to one day come back to being a fervent football fan, but I don't know how or when that might be.

I want an offensive line...a REAL one. I want Polumbust traded, let go, whatever the **** it takes. His wife probably wonders if he's even in the bed when she can clearly see the lump.

I want tackles, proper "wrap ups". Hitting a dude into tomorrow is not "elite".

And, as usual, I'd like a winning season. Please, Lord. I never ask for much, at least my dad the minister doesn't think this is some grand request. Not asking to be the person who cures cancer (**** cancer!)...just a small amount of success for my football team of 42 years.

That is all, Amen.

I probably don't belong in this thread.  I think the situation is grim, but not without hope especially going forward.  Injuries have crippled this team.  You don't lose your number one tackle, cb, qb, etc. and look good.  More, stupid is hurting this team.  Haslett has shown that he get it done.  Maybe yesterday getting it done was impossible, but it should never be that easy for the opponent.  Likewise, Cousins can't make it that easy for the defense.

Gruden was shell shocked.  It was like the mic'ed moment with Orakpo which was actually just cruel to air.  This team got blindsided.  Gruden doesn't have a poker face.  We see what he feels.

I think that he has talent though and he can do something.  Sadly, I'm not sure if it is this year.  Injuries and liabilities on defense and special teams seem to severe.  We have seen against the Eagles and Jags this offense hum.

It's not time to throw in the towel on this guy's tenure.

As to the games being painful.  They are.

One thing Gruden can "begin" to fix, is the professionalism and what I like to call "the stupid".. For 1, the ball spins by Garcon after a 1st down have no place on this team. They've not achieved anything that would warrant them doing stupid celebration exhibits, especially in the 1st quarter.. The phrase "act like you've been there before" comes to mind.. And if they haven't been there, pretend like they have.. Save that "crap" for when the game is over!!

It may seem petty, but it's got to start somewhere.. Anyone celebrating a "tackle" or even a sack, unless it's a game changing moment or something, should be fined heavily 1st, then doubled the 2nd time and benched/traded/cut the 3rd.. Same goes for "stupid" penalties, bad/missed tackles, poor angles, etc., especially on special teams..

Have a till they put their money in when they act the fool or do stupid **** and at the end of the year give it to the guy who's had the cleanest season, as far as penalties and "stupid ****" are concerned..

I would take a smart player over dumb and athletic almost every time.. The team is FULL of dumb players.. And since Gruden is stuck with the roster he has at the moment, at least begin to address the small stuff.. Got to start somewhere..

Mixed feelings on that.  If it pumps you up and the game is even or you are ahead... go for it.  Celebrating a first down while being down strikes me as selfish.  On the whole though I agree.  A first down isn't that big an achievement.  Neither is a tackle.  It doesn't warrant a look at me, Ma pose.

I think Raiders, Browns, & Jaguars fans would beg to differ. It's bad...it's been bad a loooooong time...but those teams have it something awful. We're just more media covered than the other guys because of our location, & our division.

Raiders have been more relevant recently than us. Yeah they got blown out in the Super Bowl, but I've never even seen us make it out of the divisional round.

We are just as bad as those teams. We are almost approaching 30 ****ing years of putrid horse ****. We are a turd franchise just like the Raiders.

Removing the Jags since they have little history in this league, but you are 100% correct above. 

It's becoming more and more evident to me that the current plight of the Redskins is the norm and that oasis of time that I grew up watching them with Gibbs was the exception. 

The Raiders are a relic of the 1970s and early 1980s. The Browns are a relic of the 1950s and 1960s. And we, for as much as we'd love to think of ourselves as one of the crown jewels, are a relic of the 1980s. We had some very early success when the league was in its infancy (and there was about a 12.5% chance of winning the title) and again in the 1970s. But by and large, we did all our damage under one coach in one 11-12 year stretch. 

I know that these things wouldn't even help, but I almost feel like the ENTIRE reset button needs to be hit before our fortunes will change...

Change the name: Forget it. I'm sick of the debate and, quite honestly, sick of associating the product of the past couple decades with what I grew up loving so deeply. Call them the Warriors, the name of a specific tribe, or the Monuments. I don't really care anymore.

Move the stadium: FedEx obviously isn't the problem. In fact, that poor stadium is a victim in that it's needed to host so many lifeless games over the years. Start the plans for a new stadium in DC or Virginia immediately.

Dismantle the Front Office: For years now we've tinkered. Fire Cerrato and give Marty power. Re-hire Cerrato to help Spurrier scour the earth for his former college players. Demote Cerrato to hire Gibbs. Promote Cerrato to run the show with Zorn. Fire Cerrato to hire Shanahan. Hire Allen to help Shanahan. Promote Allen to hire and build a team for Gruden. All the while we've kept the same personnel guys, etc. Blow it up and hire the best GM you can find and task him with rebuilding the entire front office.

Like I said, it's mostly symbolic but I'm over the status quo. This team doesn't resemble anything I lived and died watching during the magical autumn Sunday afternoons of my childhood, so we might as well start fresh.  

I don't know why, but I just don't have a good feeling about Jay Gruden as a head coach. Shrug. He looks lost on the sideline.

The team responded after the horrible first half with a great drive to make it 14-24. To me that was a sign they fought, they were in it, then Cousins lost his mind....what can you do? Criticize him for not putting in McCoy? What can Grudz do at that point? The final score was BS, the Giants wanted to get their nut b/c they're gonna **** this year just like us.

It wasn't that long ago that we had a mirrored problem  with this team.

We had a fairly good defense; not great, but superb compared to the one put on the field today, but it was the offense that couldn't do anything. Naturally it was a 4-3 defense, but regardless we had players who hustled to the ball, communicated with each other, and for the most part got the job done.

We would be in a tight game, leading at times, and the defense would either hold or get a turnover, but the offense would sputter, and sputter is giving compliment.

Gruden will have to not only answer to Allen and Snyder, but weigh his decision on keeping his coaching buddy from the past, and make the decision to remove the problems, one by one. The 'return the favor' has gotten this team once again in a hole, and it cannot keep happening; there has to be a breaking point.

The team responded after the horrible first half with a great drive to make it 14-24. To me that was a sign they fought, they were in it, then Cousins lost his mind....what can you do? Criticize him for not putting in McCoy? What can Grudz do at that point? The final score was BS, the Giants wanted to get their nut b/c they're gonna **** this year just like us.

I suppose they fought...but their effort was sub par, at least in my mind. They certainly weren't prepared. I don't know what type of game plan that was. I dunno...like I said just a feeling. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Archived