Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Jay Gruden, Welcome to Hell

kleese

Doesn't help that Dallas lookin a lot better than expected.  They have a decent offensive line and have finally realized it.

Yeah Their oline is good. I hate to say it but they look good! I wish we were willing to change things up on our oline. Its dangerous for KC & RG3 playing behind them!

Even Trent isnt his normal self! Gruden has to swallow his pride and right this ship some how.

Oh and F**k Dallas!

Hail 

I think offensively we will be decent.   I'm thinking Haslett does not know how to adjust.   They were in no way ready for the Giants new offense.  Rak miced up told you all you needed to hear.   He was confused.   That's when coaching has to come in make adjustments.  It's like we never did.  

Haslett won't make it.  

What you are saying is that you don't believe that an organization has a culture? Jay is new, but not everything else is new. Lots of roster holdovers; same GM; same owner.

Is that what I said? Nope.

Of course there is a culture, but its the coaches job, Jay's job, as a head coach to change the culture by winning.

....So yes, I do think the right man (whether it be a coach, GM, player, or combo) can change it. But it will take a special guy(s) and he will need to do it quickly because he won't be granted the patience he'd likely deserve.

.....It's just reality. In fairness, JG as a young coach taking over a 3-13 team probably deserves two full seasons before anyone really judges him. But that's fantasyland with an angry fanbase and a bloodthirsty media.

There's a contradictory element to your post/s. On one hand you say you're an optimist and that you think Jay is the right man for the job but then YOU turn around and are denying him the very patience YOU state that he needs.

Threads, posts like yours are a self fulfilling prophecy about the impatience of the "angry fanbase" which I'm sure you don't consider yourself part of.

Is that what I said? Nope.

Of course there is a culture, but its the coaches job, Jay's job, as a head coach to change the culture by winning.

There's a contradictory element to your post/s. On one hand you say you're an optimist and that you think Jay is the right man for the job but then YOU turn around and are denying him the very patience YOU state that he needs.

Threads, posts like yours are a self fulfilling prophecy about the impatience of the "angry fanbase" which I'm sure you don't consider yourself part of.

Where have you seen me denying him patience? In the "Hell" thread that was just my way of welcoming him to this mess.

Morris has the third most rushing attempts in the NFL.

Were you looking at stats that included carries through today?  Otherwise, he's had an additional game over everyone but Jennings.  I only bring this up because I can think of quite a few backs that I'd expect to average over 18 carrys/game.  Like McCoy Bell and Lynch.

Edit: Bell & Lynch are below 18 carries per game after three games.

Where have you seen me denying him patience? In the "Hell" thread that was just my way of welcoming him to this mess.

Your posts and this thread talk about the angry and impatient fanbase etc. But I have not observed that sentiment towards Jay yet.

Your mention only pushes that idea forward, like l said before its like a self fulfilling prophesy its like you're speaking impatience with Jay into existence.

You talk as if this is a doomed franchise and as if Jay is now faced with that inevitability.

This franchise is not doomed. Its not over for Jay is he coaches better. Thursday night was only 1 game.

All the goals for this season are there for the taking. The team has just begun to fight.

Your posts and this thread talk about the angry and impatient fanbase etc. But I have not observed that sentiment towards Jay yet.

Your mention only pushes that idea forward, like l said before its like a self fulfilling prophesy its like you're speaking impatience with Jay into existence.

You talk as if this is a doomed franchise and as if Jay is now faced with that inevitability.

This franchise is not doomed. Its not over for Jay is he coaches better. Thursday night was only 1 game.

All the goals for this season are there for the taking. The team has just begun to fight.

Are you reading the board man? Reading the prediction thread? I don't think anyone is "blaming" Gruden for this, but there is absolutely an acceptance of our misery. There is very little optimism surrounding this season or the direction of this organization.

Still astounded that people actually thought this would be a winning year.

Hail.

This would have been a winning season had Rg3 not got injured.

He was starting to realize just how important it is for him to run the ball again like 2012.

The defense would be better when they have the motivation from RG3 and the ability for the Offense to stay on the field.

This would have been a winning season had Rg3 not got injured.

He was starting to realize just how important it is for him to run the ball again like 2012.

The defense would be better when they have the motivation from RG3 and the ability for the Offense to stay on the field.

IMO, people are making too big of a deal out of the two runs RG3 had at the beginning of the 2012 game, like, "OMG we are going back to 2012!!"

They called a run for Kirk at the start of the Giants game.......does that mean he is going to be a running QB too?

And the offense staying on the field longer is about the only thing that'll help the D, because its sure not going to help them stop anybody once they actually have to get on the field.

Some of the problems are in the players' heads. Their hopes are high before every game, but as soon as the defense gives up a quick TD, it deflates the rest of the team; they get the 'oh **** here we go again' mentality, and its all downhill from there.

Same with ST or the offense; it seems like every player  is looking for another player to make a big play and not making it themselves.

Face it, this team will never go anywhere with Haslett or Morris on the team; they have been utter failures for a long time, which is why Haslett was coaching some arena league team for awhile, because he couldn't get the job done in the NFL.  Players know this and pick up on his inability to roll out a good gameplan week after week, much less actually 'coach'.

Yes, talent is lacking in places, but good teams overcome these issues; fair teams can mask it for awhile at least, then there's us; always going after big name players to put people in the stands, the hell with winning, make em some money.

The biggest focus by far should be on secondary and o-line; if these 2 areas can be improved, alot of the pieces will fall into place, but most likely they will go looking for another big name WR or DL, not grasping the concept that the QB has to be upright in order to make a pass.

I did forget to mention one thing;

The scouting dept. needs to be changed. Their perspectives of what the team needs and the direction the scouts seem to be looking are not lining up.

Not knocking Garcon in any way, he's a good receiver, but he's the tallest WR on the team, and he's 6'2; look around the league, and you will see the teams that are winning have at least 1 WR who is 6'4 or better and actually goes up after the ball. CBs are taller and more athletic and can match up easily with our WRs, so most defenses can single cover our WRs, freeing up others to eye the QB.

There HAS to be WRs out there in the college ranks who have a height advantage and can catch, and with proper coaching, can be a force in the league. Same concept can be made defensively, but the coaching aspect of that will never let it happen.

I did forget to mention one thing;

The scouting dept. needs to be changed. Their perspectives of what the team needs and the direction the scouts seem to be looking are not lining up.

Not knocking Garcon in any way, he's a good receiver, but he's the tallest WR on the team, and he's 6'2; look around the league, and you will see the teams that are winning have at least 1 WR who is 6'4 or better and actually goes up after the ball. CBs are taller and more athletic and can match up easily with our WRs, so most defenses can single cover our WRs, freeing up others to eye the QB.

There HAS to be WRs out there in the college ranks who have a height advantage and can catch, and with proper coaching, can be a force in the league. Same concept can be made defensively, but the coaching aspect of that will never let it happen.

You see this is the problem with a ton of Redskins fans.  Our problems are simple.  We care more about collecting wide receivers and safeties then we do about drafting offensive and defensive lineman.  Who cares how tall the receiver is.  If you can't block or rush the QB it doesn't matter.  The Redskins might be the worst team in the league at using high picks on lineman on either side of the ball.

You see this is the problem with a ton of Redskins fans.  Our problems are simple.  We care more about collecting wide receivers and safeties then we do about drafting offensive and defensive lineman.  Who cares how tall the receiver is.  If you can't block or rush the QB it doesn't matter.  The Redskins might be the worst team in the league at using high picks on lineman on either side of the ball.

To a point, yes, but even if we had a solid o-line and d-line, safeties and CBs are taller and faster, so the result would end up the same in most cases. But yes, there is a dire need for o-line and secondary improvement; a good QB can negate some D pressure and mask some o-line issues, but that only holds up for a little time before its figured out and neutralized by DCs; well, except for our DC.

To a point, yes, but even if we had a solid o-line and d-line, safeties and CBs are taller and faster, so the result would end up the same in most cases. But yes, there is a dire need for o-line and secondary improvement; a good QB can negate some D pressure and mask some o-line issues, but that only holds up for a little time before its figured out and neutralized by DCs; well, except for our DC.

There is a reason people pass all over our defense, and it's not because our corners are too short.  There is a reason our QB is always under pressure, and it's not because our receivers are too short.  The Ravens consistently draft defensive tackles even though their defense is always at the top.  Last year I think we had 1 defensive lineman starter that we had drafted.  You can't build a team with free agents, you have to draft well, and that starts with the interior lineman.  We refuse to do that.  We drafted a hell of a lot of receivers, corners and safeties.  We sign a lot of them too.  Guess what the result has been.

Yeah, that game sucked for sure.  But man... people need to put down the pitchforks for a minute and take a breath.

1) Defensively we were playing a very vanilla defense and giving Eli all day to pass.  Even though I sometimes think Eli is autistic, he is a Super Bowl winning QB and will pick you apart if you let him.  The most likely reasons for this are 1) We lost our defensive leader and most experienced CB going into a game with 4 days to prepare.  No way in hell was our rookie CB going to have a good game.  Haslett tried to compensate by putting more people into coverage.  2) Haslett is a dud as a DC.  We have only gotten fancy on defense once this season when playing the lowly Jags.  Otherwise we've been playing the "don't give up the big play"  defense that has teams marching 90 yards in 6:00 minutes wearing out our thin defense and putting our offense to sleep.  I'd rather see us go for broke a bit and try to force the QB into mistakes.  Foles and Manning were invited to pick us apart and they did.

2)  Offensively, we got away from a strength.  While we have what appears to be a scary WR corp, we don't have the line that can pass protect long enough and often enough to make it effective.  But we can run block well and run well.  It's something we need stick with.  Once teams get scared of our running PA passing with the receivers we have will be deadly.

3)  We're an undisciplined team.  That shows up by penalties and special teams.  I think Gruden is a little overwhelmed at the moment as he tries to get used to all the in game management he has to do.  I'm willing to give him a bit more time before saying he's not capable of it.

4) Let's be honest... Cousins **** the bed in a major way.  I can't remember the last time I saw a Redskins QB have a game that bad.  While everything seemed to be going wrong this game, Cousins play would have lost a game where we had everything going right.  But it was one game... In prime time... with a QB that is still essentially a rookie.  I'm not ready to panic yet.  But I do think Robert is the better QB for the team we have right now.  We can't be a strict pocket passing team because the line can't create or maintain a pocket.  If they eventually can, Cousins will do better and Robert will have had a chance to grow more into that position.

We could have been 3-0 going into that game with a little less bad luck.  But it is what it is.  We have quite a bit of young talent and we have to deal with the bumps along the way.

I know that these things wouldn't even help, but I almost feel like the ENTIRE reset button needs to be hit before our fortunes will change...

Change the name: Forget it. I'm sick of the debate and, quite honestly, sick of associating the product of the past couple decades with what I grew up loving so deeply. Call them the Warriors, the name of a specific tribe, or the Monuments. I don't really care anymore.

Move the stadium: FedEx obviously isn't the problem. In fact, that poor stadium is a victim in that it's needed to host so many lifeless games over the years. Start the plans for a new stadium in DC or Virginia immediately.

Dismantle the Front Office: For years now we've tinkered. Fire Cerrato and give Marty power. Re-hire Cerrato to help Spurrier scour the earth for his former college players. Demote Cerrato to hire Gibbs. Promote Cerrato to run the show with Zorn. Fire Cerrato to hire Shanahan. Hire Allen to help Shanahan. Promote Allen to hire and build a team for Gruden. All the while we've kept the same personnel guys, etc. Blow it up and hire the best GM you can find and task him with rebuilding the entire front office.

Like I said, it's mostly symbolic but I'm over the status quo. This team doesn't resemble anything I lived and died watching during the magical autumn Sunday afternoons of my childhood, so we might as well start fresh.  

I'd love this,...

The more time goes by, the more I appreciate the second coming of Joe Gibbs.

Compared to what preceeded it and what's happened after,...yes,...seems like the "new" good ole days.

Archived