Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Jay Gruden, Welcome to Hell

kleese

I like all the people who say it was a 10 point difference with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd are trying to convince the rest the game was close until that point.  The problem most of us have with the game is if you watched it from start to finish, we got dominated.  We couldn't stop a nosebleed.  The only reason they didn't score 45 points in the first half alone is because of their WRs dropping easy catches and Eli overthrowing a couple.  That's the only reason.  We did nothing to stop them.

If we had won that game, it would be because NYG gave it to us.

To me the coaching staff in place now can win games if given the opportunity.

To me the number one issue, as many have said, is the failure to acquire talent.  The NFL is still about the players.  If you don't have the talent it does not matter about the coaches.  Until we fix this issue, we will not win.

And, I know people say it started in the early 90's, but the common denominator to the skins continuous losing is our current owner.

Still astounded that people actually thought this would be a winning year.

Hail.

Maybe some people had too high expectations, but NO ONE thought we'd be this bad. Who else in our division gets their asses handed to them every year by a division opponent at home on national TV? It has gotten beyond old.

Still astounded that people actually thought this would be a winning year.

Hail.

You've been here long enough to know that it isn't really about THAT.

We've been hoping...PRAYING...for a team with an actual pulse. One that can live up to the incredibly low standard of not being humiliated every single time they appear in a nationally broadcast prime time football game.

That's why everyone was so excited last week when it was declared "we got a team!"

Yeah...we got a team. One that will lose as always, but can AT LEAST PUT UP A FIGHT. A team that will at least force the other team to TRY to beat us. A team that provides this beaten down fanbase with the slightest glimmer of hope...a hint that maybe, just maybe, things will be better next year.

And now - as usual - that's been taken away from us before the Halloween decorations are even up at the local supermarket. Because once again, for the umpteenth time, the Redskins are fielding a team that has no business playing in the NFL.

So that's what it's about man, and why you see an entire forum on suicide watch. It's not so much the losing - though that doesn't help - it's the soul-sucking, embarrassing, humiliating, and utterly hopeless manner in which this team insists on losing year after year after year

Hope that cleared it up.

The overreaction needs to stop.

C'mon people

Overreaction? I don't think anyone's overreacting. People are sick and tired of this team getting their asses kicked in primetime every year. I'm mot on the team and I'm embarrassed.

Maybe some people had too high expectations, but NO ONE thought we'd be this bad. Who else in our division gets their asses handed to them every year by a division opponent at home on national TV? It has gotten beyond old.

That's one thing I'll credit Gibbs 2 with.  He suffered a few road disasters.......the 36-0 loss to the Giants in '05 and the 52-7 smackdown by the Pats in '07 come to mind.....but we didn't get embarrassed in our house during his second stint like every other one of our coaches has.

One bad loss at the beginning of the season and the sky is falling.  As is normal this time of year, coaches and fans seem to have an unrealistic view of how good the team is.  they only one 3 games last year...THREE!  A game like they had against the Giants was certainly not out of the question.  Especially when you consider they didn't make any SIGNIFICANT upgrades to the secondary.  Add in the fact that Hall is out, Merriweather is rusty, and we are down 50 defensive linemen, and we have a short turn around after they "played their guts out" against the Eagles. 

This is a 6-8 win team at best.  8 wins if things go their way.  And looking at the defense with no Coefield for a while, Hall out, and the other injuries on the DL, I'm hoping we can make it to six. 

The offense may have weapons but the offensive line is not very good.  No matter who is at QB is going to have up and down games as they are both essentially rookie QBs in their own right.

Gruden had a look that almost every coach has when they get a whooping like that.  It happens and you move on.

I posted this in the haztard thread, but maybe it belongs here instead.

this whole organization is ****ed. I dont know that this current band of defensive misfits could be coached to be agressive and have an idea of where the ball is even if God was coaching them.
we're probably gonna have to wait for a new dc, and then for this current failboat of a defense to retire/leave in fa.

odds are bruce and gang will make another crony dc hire, and we will be back in the same boat. FUnny thing is I got banned for a week here for calling bruce a scumbag and having "too much vitriol"
by one of the mods here.. guess for not toeing the company line when the gruden hire was announced.. I called it a crony hire and was really upset by it, because the "interview" process was a sham.. and now by week 4 people are starting to see that the entire staff is cronies and want change.

can anyone honestly tell me that gruden was hired because he was the best option?? you knew as soon as he was on the candidate list that the fix was in.

vitriol. pfffft.

No offense intended but there is alot of psuedo-psych melodrama going on in this thread.

The season is not over.

The past is the past and all the present coach needs to do to change the narrative is win.

Coach better. Game plan better. Motivate better. Make better suggestions to Bruce about personnel to effect better personnel decisions. Manage time better. Make better challenge decisions. Play better football.

Get this current unit playing to the best of their potential.

That is the coaches job and that's how a coach changes the culture.

One bad game doesn't change that.

Every coach, even great coaches have been steam rolled or dump trucked or taken a bad beat where things spiral out of control. The Giants game was an example of that type of loss.

Things were okay then boom the QB melts down and tossed lighter fluid on the inferno.

But it still only one loss.

Everything is there for Jay.

He wasn't my first choice but its way too early form judgements.

Specific observations sure, but lets not jump to conclusions based on a 'look'.

Get up.

Man up.

Fix your mistakes.

Move on.

Play better.

No offense intended but there is alot of psuedo-psych melodrama going on in this thread.

The season is not over.

The past is the past and all the present coach needs to do to change the narrative is win.

Coach better. Game plan better. Motivate better. Make better suggestions to Bruce about personnel to effect better personnel decisions. Manage time better. Make better challenge decisions. Play better football.

Get this current unit playing to the best of their potential.

That is the coaches job and that's how a coach changes the culture.

One bad game doesn't change that.

Every coach, even great coaches have been steam rolled or dump trucked or taken a bad beat where things spiral out of control. The Giants game was an example of that type of loss.

Things were okay then boom the QB melts down and tossed lighter fluid on the inferno.

But it still only one loss.

Everything is there for Jay.

He wasn't my first choice but its way too early form judgements.

Specific observations sure, but lets not jump to conclusions based on a 'look'.

Get up.

Man up.

Fix your mistakes.

Move on.

Play better.

No conclusions drawn. Just an observation.

And the unfair reality is that Jay will absolutely be judged on past failures. The 22 years of frustration will be taken out on him and he will feel it if he does not win soon. I agree that it isn't fair, but the "here we go again" feeling is in the air even though Gruden had nothing to do with that feeling be here in the first place.

That's what people are talking about when they use the term "culture." It eats up even the better guys who walk through the door. It's my biggest sadness with the RG thing. He has the talent and personality to potentially be the man to lead us out of one culture and into another, but he can't do it with a cast on his leg.

Thrumpy guys don't win in the NFL. You either have to be super fit (Harbaughs) or super fat (Reeds). 

There's a disease in the NFL and it's called the Redskins. At this point, as much as it kills me inside (and I mean seriously, it does kill me inside), we might as well change the name and burn down both FedEx field and Redskins Park. Just burn them down to the ground. It doesn't matter at this point, we're a dumpster fire of a franchise and it'll NEVER change. As long as we're alive, that is. Maybe in 2183, when the NFL is played via virtual robots and tackling has been illegal for a good 150 years, we might get to a meaningful game. Maybe. 

And the unfair reality is that Jay will absolutely be judged on past failures. The 22 years of frustration will be taken out on him and he will feel it if he does not win soon. I agree that it isn't fair, but the "here we go again" feeling is in the air even though Gruden had nothing to do with that feeling be here in the first place.

That's what people are talking about when they use the term "culture." It eats up even the better guys who walk through the door. It's my biggest sadness with the RG thing. He has the talent and personality to potentially be the man to lead us out of one culture and into another, but he can't do it with a cast on his leg.

Nah man, YOU are gonna judge him unfairly on past failures. People like me are gonna judge him based on his actual performance. That's why I'm actually optimistic (even tho not especially fond of Jay) while you claim to be optimistic but the tone of your thread/post is clearly pessimistic.

Good coaches change the culture by winning.

Claiming he has a cast on his league is just excuse making.

Nah man, YOU are gonna judge him unfairly on past failures. People like me are gonna judge him based on his actual performance. That's why I'm actually optimistic (even tho not especially fond of Jay) while you claim to be optimistic but the tone of your thread/post is clearly pessimistic.

Good coaches change the culture by winning.

Claiming he has a cast on his league is just excuse making.

What you are saying is that you don't believe that an organization has a culture? Jay is new, but not everything else is new. Lots of roster holdovers; same GM; same owner.

I firmly believe that the culture matters in sports. Of course, winning breaks it. But my point is that it is harder to win where the culture stinks than somewhere where it is good.

I think Gibbs made a real dent in that regard. His leadership and character started to filter throughout and things really started to calm down. But then our best player in 20 years was murdered midseason and Gibbs was gone somewhat unexpectedly six weeks later. The job wasn't finished yet and we quickly reverted.

So yes, I do think the right man (whether it be a coach, GM, player, or combo) can change it. But it will take a special guy(s) and he will need to do it quickly because he won't be granted the patience he'd likely deserve.

And yes, fan/media sentiment matters. It creates an atmosphere, tension, and pressure. It's a viscous cycle.

It's just reality. In fairness, JG as a young coach taking over a 3-13 team probably deserves two full seasons before anyone really judges him. But that's fantasyland with an angry fanbase and a bloodthirsty media.

I didn't like the Gruden hire before, and I don't like it now.

It's beyond me how any coach can come into this situation and not run the ball. The OL is piss poor in pass pro, you have an amazing talent at HB, an inexperienced QB, a defense you really don't want on the field, and, despite all this, the guy calls quick outs and hitches all game.

People thought Kyle was bad about abandoning the run, which he was at points, but at least he established it THEN abandoned it. Jay Gruden doesn't even establish anything to abandon. It's always a run every now and then with him.

Ugh. Maybe he's welcoming US to Hell. Well, back to Hell, as, being Skins fans, we already reside there.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about it.

It's beyond me how any coach can come into this situation and not run the ball. The OL is piss poor in pass pro, you have an amazing talent at HB, an inexperienced QB, a defense you really don't want on the field, and, despite all this, the guy calls quick outs and hitches all game.

People thought Kyle was bad about abandoning the run, which he was at points, but at least he established it THEN abandoned it. Jay Gruden doesn't even establish anything to abandon. It's always a run every now and then with him.

Ugh. Maybe he's welcoming US to Hell. Well, back to Hell, as, being Skins fans, we already reside there.

Morris has the third most rushing attempts in the NFL.

That's one thing I'll credit Gibbs 2 with. He suffered a few road disasters.......the 36-0 loss to the Giants in '05 and the 52-7 smackdown by the Pats in '07 come to mind.....but we didn't get embarrassed in our house during his second stint like every other one of our coaches has.

Interesting oddity: both if those were playoff seasons.

This whole post is patently false.

The more time goes by, the more I appreciate the second coming of Joe Gibbs.

Seriously, right?

I heard a rumor that DS was seen going to a Bingo Hall after the game last night. Can't verify.

Actually he was on the phone with Jays big brother asking him if he'd like to swap places on Monday Night. Jay in booth, Jon on sideline.

Archived