Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

I would love to know the answer to the OP's question. Cousins looks so good on certain drives and then suddenly throws the ball straight to the opposition. It's like he is colour-blind :-( That last interception was a serious WTF moment (the others were bad but that was like he didn't see the guy at all).

Seem to be the American thing to do, is to blame a black man for anything that goes wrong. Truth hurts I know, but hey we all see it here as well..

Dude every other post of yours has racial undertones. Give it a rest already.

I've thought much of Cousins but in a league with 32 teams that carry 1-2 backup QBs on their roster in a given year he is more than good enough to be in this league, I'd just prefer it not be in DC. 

Though his performances have pretty much guaranteed nobody else is going to take him off our hands.

The number one thing teams want from backups is simply not to lose games. Quarterbacks who have multiple 3-pick halves on their resumes really don't fit that profile.

Whenever I watched RG took off and run, I feel like a big hit is coming; whenever I watched Cousins throw the ball in the 2nd half, I feel like an interception is coming.

Just like Robert and his injury, interceptions have been a problem for Kirk -- just watch the games he played in 2012, 2013, and this preseason. At the end of the day, Kirk is who he is, and that is why he was selected in the 4th round.

My only hope left, not only for this season but for next season and onward, is for RG to get and stsy healthy and get notivated from watching Luck, Wilson and Cam having success.

Haha this was a great post.

I guess it's inevitable now that rg3 will be allowed to return and resume all that growth and learning that we saw this preseason and against Houston/Jacksonville. He's still the leading fumbler since 2012 despite having missed 9 games (roughly 25% of games) over that time frame, but I don't suppose we'll be seeing a Robert Griffin fumbling machine thread anytime soon.

Cousins has shown some major ups and major downs. It's too early to close the book on him.

Your dude is done man. Just admit you were wrong. 

We were better off with Sexy Rexy as the back-up

The number one thing teams want from backups is simply not to lose games. Quarterbacks who have multiple 3-pick halves on their resumes really don't fit that profile.

I'm with ya, but I still think someone will sign him when his contract is up herr to ride their pine as a backup or a backup's backup. This is the same league that guys like Ty Detmer and Jamie Martin were able to draw a paycheck from for a decade and that Rex Grossman is still doing. Guys like Kirk get endless inexplicable opportunities to make the vet minimum for 5 years longer than they should.

Also I realize neglecting to put the word "Never" near the beginning of my post changed my intended meaning a just a little bit.

I'm with ya, but I still think someone will sign him when his contract is up herr to ride their pine as a backup or a backup's backup. This is the same league that guys like Ty Detmer and Jamie Martin were able to draw a paycheck from for a decade and that Rex Grossman is still doing. Guys like Kirk get endless inexplicable opportunities to make the vet minimum for 5 years longer than they should.

I've never completely understood what it takes to make the backup QB gravy train in the NFL. I mean, I get it when it's Kyle Orton. Kyle Orton is sort of good, but not someone you would trust for 16 games under most circumstances.

Sage Rosenfels lasted 12 years.

12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not closing the book on him, but he definitely has a penchant for forcing balls when the game is close. I don't know if it's the lack of experience, the pressure of the moment, or both. He's got some improving to do. He really, really needs to work on his late-game decision making.

Definitely not saying there's a comparison, at all. AT ALL. But, Peyton Manning threw like 25 INT's his first season as a starter. Just sayin. He could theoretically improve. He's basically a rookie in terms of game experience.

Not closing the book on him, but he definitely has a penchant for forcing balls when the game is close. I don't know if it's the lack of experience, the pressure of the moment, or both. He's got some improving to do. He really, really needs to work on his late-game decision making.

Definitely not saying there's a comparison, at all. AT ALL. But, Peyton Manning threw like 25 INT's his first season as a starter. Just sayin. He could theoretically improve. He's basically a rookie in terms of game experience.

I can definitely see what you're saying. But Kirk has 19 turnovers in only 8 starts. We still have 10 games left. But again I see what you're saying. I don't know if Kirk can turn it around though because he was essentially the same in college.

The list is long and distinguished of QBs that Kirk compares favorably with through their first 8 starts.  My only point being, no QBs story is really written after 8 starts, even though everybody's certain Kirk isn't any good and will never be.  

Oh, please, save it for the tailgate.  Robert sucked too.

You shouldn't get away with saying Robert "sucked too".

The level of suck between them isn't even comparable. Robert didn't do enough to overcome his teams bad play, Kirk was the reason the team was exceptionally bad. Huge difference.

I still think Kirk is the kind of quarterback who can be very effective for a team, but he's also the kind who needs certain things in place.  Troy Aikman would never have gotten to the HOF without that line and without Emmitt Smith.  I can see Kirk being Bernie Kosar with a slightly better arm.  He shows touch, accuracy, and an understanding of the scheme at times.  He's still inconsistent and it's too easy for d coordinators to get him out of his game.

He lacks the support system to make him what he should become which is a solid B level type of quarterback.

Haha this was a great post.

I guess it's inevitable now that rg3 will be allowed to return and resume all that growth and learning that we saw this preseason and against Houston/Jacksonville. He's still the leading fumbler since 2012 despite having missed 9 games (roughly 25% of games) over that time frame, but I don't suppose we'll be seeing a Robert Griffin fumbling machine thread anytime soon.

Cousins has shown some major ups and major downs. It's too early to close the book on him.

People are still advocating for Kirk "Here ya go!" Cousins!?

ncr2h, you are either Kirk's wife or Jason Reid. Which one is it? I have got to know.

There is absolutely no way any sane person still supports Kirk over Robert at this point. Something else must be going on here.

If Robert had started his career throwing this many INTs in so few games, this fanbase would have wanted Cousins in before the halfway point of 2012.

Robert's 2013 wasn't this bad in his supposed down year.

Kirk is, exactly what his dossier said he was. 

By the numbers, it actually was.  

2014 Kirk (15 game projection)

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT

309 501 4,189 61.7 8.36 27 81 21 3 51.5 88.3

2013 Robert (in 13 games)

274 456 60.1 3,203 7.02 16 62 12 6 40.1 82.2

Now, projections are always sketchy cuz you can't predict the future, but if Kirk just plays the same way, he would probably have a better year.  People are just having a freakout right now.

I've never completely understood what it takes to make the backup QB gravy train in the NFL. I mean, I get it when it's Kyle Orton. Kyle Orton is sort of good, but not someone you would trust for 16 games under most circumstances.

Sage Rosenfels lasted 12 years.

12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw that.

Todd Collins lasted 16 years in the NFL.

Gus Frerotte lasted 15 years in the NFL.

Now, projections are always sketchy cuz you can't predict the future, but if Kirk just plays the same way, he would probably have a better year.  People are just having a freakout right now.

I'm pretty sure when he said Griffin last year wasn't "this bad", he meant how Cousins has played recently, as in the last 3 games. He was saying that Griffin never looked as bad last year as Cousins has looked against the Giants and Cardinals (4th quarter).

I'm pretty sure when he said Griffin last year wasn't "this bad", he meant how Cousins has played recently, as in the last 3 games. He was saying that Griffin never looked as bad last year as Cousins has looked against the Giants and Cardinals (4th quarter).

Even that's questionable, the only way he wasn't that bad was the INTs.  But I distinctly remember the SF game, the Denver game, the Cowboy game, and the KC game were abysmal.  Basically non-competitive at the QB position for the entire game, not a quarter here and there.  These two guys just found different ways to play poorly.  

The only problem with this is, as he plays more games, more tape will be available on him. Kirk is a decent QB and I don't feel that's freaking out at all. He's started 5 games this year and 3 last year. He has a total of 19 turnovers in his 8 starts. That's very alarming since he's the one that's supposedly more comfortable playing from the pocket. I just don't see it.

Maybe I'm blind and not seeing what you're seeing by saying people are having a freakout right now. Please let me know what I'm missing as it relates to Cousins.

Even that's questionable, the only way he wasn't that bad was the INTs.  But I distinctly remember the SF game, the Denver game, the Cowboy game, and the KC game were abysmal.  Basically non-competitive at the QB position for the entire game, not a quarter here and there.  These two guys just found different ways to play poorly.  

I also distinctly remember RG3 coming back from a major knee surgery, no off season, just about the last ranked defense/special teams too last year (2013)! It was a complete circus in 2013. But if you want to judge RG3 without those factors being considered then go ahead. I don't feel it's fair, but I'm not going to debate about it either.

All things considered Kirk is NOT playing back from no major injuries etc. He's just playing poorly. If 3200yds 16TD's and 12INT is a horrible year from RG3 with all those other factors going on, then I'll take my chances with him instead of Kirk at this point.

I'm still going to consider Cousins as a decent QB. He's provided some very solid quarters of performance and his quick decisions can be considered a 'counter-balance' to the short time he's given by his offensive line pocket

Usually it's the QB who tends to be the scapegoat when things go wrong even when there's other players who contributed to the bad play. Sure, Cousins had errors, but he also had some excellent throws. The fact remains that the Skins asked Cousins to throw the ball 38 times, when they only attempted 17 rushing plays. When you throw the ball that often, and run as ineffectively as the Skins did -- that puts even more pressure on the passing game.

Also, I didn't see very many of those 38 passes as the safer sideline pass variety --instead I noted Gruden/McVey had dialed up a fair share of challenging, medium-range passes often winding up in close coverage.

And they did this in spite of the fact that the Skins pocket protection -- especially the right side has often been quite ..."porous." I watched several instances where either Polumbus, Chester, any of the tight ends, or especially Helu was whiffing on pass protection when it was needed the most. Sacks and hurries are a way of life for the Skins QB, because the O-Line can barely handle a front 4, much less the heavier blitz packages. That means the QB is either scrambling, passing almost immediately, or throwing off his back foot, because there is no pocket to step up into. Attempting that many passes, with no real running game, and shaky pocket-protection is going to lead to some interceptions or stalled drives, unless your O-line keeps some of the passing lanes open, and your receivers are getting open quickly, or setting up picks to get another receiver open quickly.

Here's my assessment of Kirk's interceptions:

First one -- the ball sailed to a medium to long target, with coverage over the top. Cousins was trying to step into his throw, but the Cardinal defender swept past Reed into where Kirk was striding forward. Cousins essentially threw that pass of his back foot and it sailed.

Second one -- the pass to Jackson to convert a third down, was odd because it relied on Cousins 'leading' Jackson to generate the speed needed to burst through for a first down. Since this was all happening within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, Roberts was suppose to 'wall-out' the defender to facilitate Jackson making the reception. Roberts failed to do that, the defender made it through and Cousins pass wound up going into into a mixed scrum, where the defender had the stronger angle and wound up with the ball.

Third one. -- this one was all on Cousins; he clearly didn't see the Cardinal defender. (Okay, maybe there might have been confusion on where Garçon was planning to catch the pass, but for simplicity I'm still saying it was a Cousins mistake here). The fact remains that these kinds of mistakes, of not seeing a defender, can happen to all types of starting QBs -- including Palmer. But unlike Orakpo, the Cardinal defender hung on to Cousins' pass.

[Note: I laughed when Brady Quinn tried to insinuate that Roberts "fumble" was another bad Cousins decision of throwing to Andre when he was so closely covered. A good example how the QB can get blamed for just about everything!]

No one was perfect. I saw a lot of Skins' mistakes -- even by the vaunted Skins receiving corps. Roberts was very uneven all day, Jackson doesn't block as a receiver, Reed needs to remember to get out of bounds, and Garçon needs to remember just how feeble to the O-line protection is, and when they're being blitzed he needs to adjust his route to help his QB.

I could go on, but I hope folks can realize, that just as there are times when the QB has to share the honors for a good play ... there are times when he's not the sole source of blame for the bad plays.

My biggest concern is that any QB behind this O-line is going to wind up developing bad habits of hasty decisions, or wind up going 3-&-out a lot, or getting injured scrambling trying to make things happen. I'm hoping that Cousins psyche will weather this current adversity so he remains decisive -- but frankly the running game has to get on track soon, to avoid a one-dimensional offense that defenses are preying on.

Unless the coaches start fixing these other areas, the 2014 Skins are in for a bumpy ride, because it's not all about the QB -- be that Griffin, Cousins or McCoy.

This is completely ridiculous. 

Robert has never single handily thrown games out the window like Kirk has. Robert was criticized for not doing enough to help this bad team win games, well Kirk is being criticized for being the main reason the team sucks. 

Also, those raw stats don't paint an accurate picture. We have ZERO running game with Kirk Cousins as QB, with RG3 we have a top 3 running game in the NFL. That alone is tremendous. 

The best thing that can happen for this franchise is for RG3 to come back healthy with ~8 games left, so he can get in tons of reps and build for next year. Kirk is done as a starter in this league. He will be a quality back-up for the next 10 seasons. 

If only Robert Gimpy III was playing, I bet we'd win!  He has been tearing apart defenses since 2012!  Just ignore the first half of 2012...

Yeah, because all rookie NFL QB's in a brand new system are stellar in their first few games. But then .. Griffin almost single-handedly took that crappy 2012 team to the playoffs for the first time in about 6 years. So, I can see why you would hate him.

and all of 2013...

He had a major injury and was hobbled with a knee brace in 2013. Still, he put up respectable numbers. But let's not fool ourselves .. this team and Shanahan (and his son) and his temper-tantrum that sabotaged ANY possibility of this team winning anything. But I can see you went deep into the though process with your post and clearly thought this through.

and the beginning of 2014... the guy is elite and was certainly worth several draft picks.

He played less than a quarter of the first game and then had a freak injury that could have happened to any (and does) NFL player.  I bet you never have anything go wrong in your job/life. I'll bet all of your co-workers think you're "elite" too.

And I'll just dispense with the rest of your childish nonsense, because it's not worth repeating or replying to.

Archived