Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

Again it's no comparison as RG3 did more with A LOT less and LESS turnovers. Come on man lol. RG3 basically played hog tied by the weapons he had. And he was coming off a major injury and still put up those numbers. Teams stacked the box last year because we had NO deep threat! they stack the box this year because they DON'T fear Cousins and dares him to beat them. It's been working.

You are correct about the weapons, no argument AT ALL with that.  However, teams stacked the box last year not because of lack of weapons, it was because NO ONE feared RG3 running or throwing.  I do agree with you this year, teams don't fear KC, matter of fact, I would be willing to bet opposing DCs ABSOLUTELY LOVE KC, each one will probably get a raise, promotion to HC somewhere and induction into the hall of fame just based off of KC in the 4th QTR.

You are correct about the weapons, no argument AT ALL with that.  However, teams stacked the box last year not because of lack of weapons, it was because NO ONE feared RG3 running or throwing.  I do agree with you this year, teams don't fear KC, matter of fact, I would be willing to bet opposing DCs ABSOLUTELY LOVE KC, each one will probably get a raise, promotion to HC somewhere and induction into the hall of fame just based off of KC in the 4th QTR.

LOLOLOL yes we definitely agree on that as far as teams DC love Cousins. And I seriously doubt Kirk Cousins would throw for over 5000 yards man LOLOL

That is my point, I would not compare the 2, I was pointing out that stats do not tell the whole story.  I think if you added the yds KC has and put them over a season you could come up with over 5200 yds.  However, he would have 5200 yds, probably 32-35 TDs and then have about a million INTs (not really a million, closer to 24 - 26 or so total). 

5200 yards?? LMAO!!!! No way bro. LOLOL Teams have already started adjusting and game planning Kirkster. By the 10th game they will have ALL of his strengths and weaknesses down. God have mercy we haven't played the 49ers, Giants again or Dallas. Dallas as much as I hate them, shut Russell Wilson down. He couldn't run or pass. And his defense couldn't save him. How do you think Kirk will do against them?

ncr2h,

I agree that Kirk has shown major potential at times. The big question for me is, are the flaws in his game fixable? I don't think that has been answered yet.

He has, but the problem is that his "bad" moments have overshadowed the good. We're not just talking about a couple of dumb plays here and there...that can be chalked up to inexperience and a young QB learning. We're talking about multiple games in the same season where he has gone into a full-on tailspin and looked like a drunk Rex Grossman. Complete meltdowns.

5200 yards?? LMAO!!!! No way bro. LOLOL Teams have already started adjusting and game planning Kirkster. By the 10th game they will have ALL of his strengths and weaknesses down. God have mercy we haven't played the 49ers, Giants again or Dallas. Dallas as much as I hate them, shut Russell Wilson down. He couldn't run or pass. And his defense couldn't save him. How do you think Kirk will do against them?

I think Kirk plays great.......until he doesn't:). I think Kirk struggles against all the above, no doubt. Oh, I only threw out 5200 yds as an emphasis about using stats. I don't think for a second KC throws for 5200 yds...........unless you give him credit for yards gained after an interception!

I think Kirk plays great.......until he doesn't:). I think Kirk struggles against all the above, no doubt. Oh, I only threw out 5200 yds as an emphasis about using stats. I don't think for a second KC throws for 5200 yds...........unless you give him credit for yards gained after an interception!

LOLOLOL man you made me choke! Give him the yards after an INT??? flat lined LOLOLOL

Well I do what I can. Still have a lot of crow to eat after trying to defend KC. I always loved RG3, just want to see him play better

We all have our favorite player bro. At least you wasn't like ncr2h! LOL He still won't let it go. I still want Kirk to do good because I'm a Redskins fan first. I certainly respect you and your position bro. That's why I warned against buying that fools gold. That crap will getcha every time. It got me with Jason Campbell lol.

ncr2h,I agree that Kirk has shown major potential at times. The big question for me is, are the flaws in his game fixable? I don't think that has been answered yet.

There are some extreme cases where the QB suddenly stops throwing picks i.e. Peyton Manning/Drew Brees, however most QBs who have an issue with throwing picks continue this trend throughout their respective careers. That is Kirk, he will never overcome this. He has done this in nearly every game where he's been given extended periods of play. It would be different if he wasn't doing it a lot but he has like 8 or 9 games with multiple turnovers. He should've been dealt away before the rest of the league figured him out. We never capitalize on opportunities like that for some reason....

LOLOLOL man you made me choke! Give him the yards after an INT??? flat lined LOLOLOL

RG3 is your guy, he is my guy too....we get it.  And Kirk is also OUR guy as well.  I wonder what your analysis of Peyton Manning was his first 2-3 years?  Especially the 1st year.  I'm sure it was alot of LOL LOL 5200 YARDS 28 INT LOL LOL BRO.  Stop trying to pretend your "rooting for Kirk because your a Redskins fan".  We are well aware Kirk is making dumb mistakes that probably can't be corrected with more reps or maybe it could.  We have a QB right now who can't stay healthy running out of the pocket, and a QB who is making some awful mistakes.  We have a major QB issue no matter who is starting.  People are defending Kirk because it's in our nature to defend him...stop bashing people who are defending him still.  Kirk is raw.

We all have our favorite player bro. At least you wasn't like ncr2h! LOL He still won't let it go. I still want Kirk to do good because I'm a Redskins fan first. I certainly respect you and your position bro. That's why I warned against buying that fools gold. That crap will getcha every time. It got me with Jason Campbell lol.

Man, that crap got me with:

Danny Weurfel

Shane Matthews

Gus Frerotte

John Frieze

Patrick Ramsey

Colt Brennan

Jason Campbell etc, etc. I could go on. I'm such a homer, I believed EVERY QB we ever had was gonna be great!

Hell I was a Babe Laughenberg fan (damn, that was a long time ago)

RG3 is your guy, he is my guy too....we get it. And Kirk is also OUR guy as well. I wonder what your analysis of Peyton Manning was his first 2-3 years? Especially the 1st year. I'm sure it was alot of LOL LOL 5200 YARDS 28 INT LOL LOL BRO. Stop trying to pretend your "rooting for Kirk because your a Redskins fan". We are well aware Kirk is making dumb mistakes that probably can't be corrected with more reps or maybe it could. We have a QB right now who can't stay healthy running out of the pocket, and a QB who is making some awful mistakes. We have a major QB issue no matter who is starting. People are defending Kirk because it's in our nature to defend him...stop bashing people who are defending him still. Kirk is raw.

Dude, relax man, that was just some friendly banter between RED06 and myself. I have never seen him say anything other than he hopes KC does well BECAUSE HE IS A REDSKINS fan. It is ok for someone to like a different player, as long as it isn't personal or insulting.

And to your question about PM, he was always a great player who could never win the big game......until he did, like 14 yrs later. He also threw 28 INTs his first year, that qualifies him as an INT machine

Dude, relax man, that was just some friendly banter between RED06 and myself. I have never seen him say anything other than he hopes KC does well BECAUSE HE IS A REDSKINS fan. It is ok for someone to like a different player, as long as it isn't personal or insulting.

I'm relaxed man, I assure you.....I don't get it?  Friendly banter or not it's mind boggling reading his responses to everyone about something positive with Kirk.

RG3 is your guy, he is my guy too....we get it.  And Kirk is also OUR guy as well.  I wonder what your analysis of Peyton Manning was his first 2-3 years?  Especially the 1st year.  I'm sure it was alot of LOL LOL 5200 YARDS 28 INT LOL LOL BRO.  Stop trying to pretend your "rooting for Kirk because your a Redskins fan".  We are well aware Kirk is making dumb mistakes that probably can't be corrected with more reps or maybe it could.  We have a QB right now who can't stay healthy running out of the pocket, and a QB who is making some awful mistakes.  We have a major QB issue no matter who is starting.  People are defending Kirk because it's in our nature to defend him...stop bashing people who are defending him still.  Kirk is raw.

Rskins06 and I can have as many friendly banter convo's as we like dude. If you don't like it, then I guess you can not reply or skip over it. As far as that other stuff you said, here's my reply :P

Let's dispell another myth - 

Defenses stack the box against Cousins because they don't fear his arm - he can't beat defenses deep consistently enough to make up for the lack of run game.

There are a few serious problems with this argument.

Problem #1: Cousins is a far more accurate deep passer than RG3

On passes travelling 31 or more yards in the air:

Cousins (career) - 6/15 (40%) for 357 yards (24 ypa) with 3 TDs and 1 INT

Griffin (career) - 8/39 (21%) for 394 (10 ypa) yards with 7 TDs and 1 INT

Even if you cherry pick RG3's best year and compare it to Cousins' career, Cousins still compares favorably:

Cousins (career): 6/15 (40%) for 357 yards (24 ypa) with 3 TDs and 1 INT

Griffin (2012): 4/17 (24%) for 246 yards (14 ypa) with 4 TDs and 0 INT

In short, a far higher percentage of Griffin's completions turn into touchdowns.  The problem is that he completes very few deep balls.  It is inconceivable that a defense would be more afraid of Griffin's 8 completions on 39 attempts than Cousins' 6 completions on 15 attempts.  Cousins, so far, looks like he's a phenomenal thrower of the deep ball.

Problem #2: Yard per carry

If defenses were stacking the box against us, how is it that we are #17 in the league in terms of yards per carry, even after facing the #3 and #6 defenses in terms of rush yards per game?  You would think with stacked boxes we would be among the league's worst in yards per carry.

The problem with our run game is not due to stacked boxes, it's due to the fact that we're constantly getting into shootouts with our opponents.  Eagles game.  Giants game.  Seahawks game.  From the opening whistle, those games looked like games where we needed 30+ points just to remain competitive.

Problem #3: It makes no logical sense

Help me understand this statement:

"Yeah, we're gonna just stack the box against this loser who is averaging 315 yards and 2 TDs per game.  You know why?  Because that 1.5 INTs he throws per game is going to totally lose the game for his team.  Meanwhile, the guy I'm really worried about is the one averaging 60 yards and 0.5 TDs per game."

It just doesn't make logical sense.

Man, that crap got me with:

Danny Weurfel

Shane Matthews

Gus Frerotte

John Frieze

Patrick Ramsey

Colt Brennan

Jason Campbell etc, etc. I could go on. I'm such a homer, I believed EVERY QB we ever had was gonna be great!

Hell I was a Babe Laughenberg fan (damn, that was a long time ago)

And to your question about PM, he was always a great player who could never win the big game......until he did, like 14 yrs later. He also threw 28 INTs his first year, that qualifies him as an INT machine

Brother man don't waste your time or your words. It's not worth it at all LOL! Maybe he needs a hug or something, who knows. I know where I stand with Kirk and RG3. There's nothing for me to reply to him about other than what I've already said. He's on mute.....lol

Let's dispell another myth - 

Defenses stack the box against Cousins because they don't fear his arm - he can't beat defenses deep consistently enough to make up for the lack of run game.

There are a few serious problems with this argument.

Problem #1: Cousins is a far more accurate deep passer than RG3

On passes travelling 31 or more yards in the air:

Cousins (career) - 6/15 (40%) for 357 yards (24 ypa) with 3 TDs and 1 INT

Griffin (career) - 8/39 (21%) for 394 (10 ypa) yards with 7 TDs and 1 INT

Even if you cherry pick RG3's best year and compare it to Cousins' career, Cousins still compares favorably:

Cousins (career): 6/15 (40%) for 357 yards (24 ypa) with 3 TDs and 1 INT

Griffin (2012): 4/17 (24%) for 246 yards (14 ypa) with 4 TDs and 0 INT

In short, a far higher percentage of Griffin's completions turn into touchdowns.  The problem is that he completes very few deep balls.  It is inconceivable that a defense would be more afraid of Griffin's 8 completions on 39 attempts than Cousins' 6 completions on 15 attempts.  Cousins, so far, looks like he's a phenomenal thrower of the deep ball.

Problem #2: Yard per carry

If defenses were stacking the box against us, how is it that we are #17 in the league in terms of yards per carry, even after facing the #3 and #6 defenses in terms of rush yards per game?  You would think with stacked boxes we would be among the league's worst in yards per carry.

The problem with our run game is not due to stacked boxes, it's due to the fact that we're constantly getting into shootouts with our opponents.  Eagles game.  Giants game.  Seahawks game.  From the opening whistle, those games looked like games where we needed 30+ points just to remain competitive.

Problem #3: It makes no logical sense

Help me understand this statement:

"Yeah, we're gonna just stack the box against this loser who is averaging 315 yards and 2 TDs per game.  You know why?  Because that 1.5 INTs he throws per game is going to totally lose the game for his team.  Meanwhile, the guy I'm really worried about is the one averaging 60 yards and 0.5 TDs per game."

It just doesn't make logical sense.

LOLOL you back again huh?? what the heck man, we gotta love it! God bless you man. lol

Rskins06 and I can have as many friendly banter convo's as we like dude. If you don't like it, then I guess you can not reply or skip over it. As far as that other stuff you said, here's my reply :P

It really had nothing to do with your responses to said poster.  It's pages and pages of every single thread that has to do with the QB position or Kirk with your condescending responses to every single poster who highlights something positive about Kirk.

It really had nothing to do with your responses to said poster.  It's pages and pages of every single thread that has to do with the QB position or Kirk with your condescending responses to every single poster who highlights something positive about Kirk.

Since you have something to say, obviously I will respect it. Now, go a pull one post that I've bashed Kirk as you claimed I did in your post above. Go and pull one post of ANY attacks that I've ever said about Kirk Cousins. Go and pull one post that anything I've said regarding Kirk Cousins and RG3 play on the field that's NOT accurate! Go and pull 1..........I could careless if you feel I was condescending in my replies. I know I wasn't.

In fact I've readily admitted RG3 faults as well because I'm even all around. I've made it NO secret that prefer RG3 over Kirk. I've also made it NO secret that I want Cousins to be successful. Pull ONE post that says otherwise...............If you think I relish in Kirks failures thus far to be correct then you are a misguided person by your own beliefs. I leave it there

Wait what? I'm pretty we are talking about this year and not whatever bizarre hodgepodge of stats accumulated this year that you are projecting over 16 games LAST YEAR.

Stats through Week 6

Completions: 17th

Attempts: 16th

Completion Pct: 21st

YPA: 2nd(Hey we're getting somewhere)

YPG: 3rd(Lookin' good Kirk)

TDs: 4 way tie for 10th(Meh)

INTs: 1st(and in one less game, oops)

Sacks: 28th(How is he throwing so many picks from the bottom of this list)

So he currently leads the NFL in passes picked off but according to you projected over 16 games that would make him 27th. 23rd when you add in the arbitrary 300 Pass attempt cutoff.

So you seriously just projected that he will not only will he not throw any more interceptions at this current rate, but that he won't throw another pick the entire year?

Jesus man, this is your saddest work yet.

Allow this moron to help you with something -

You are comparing a guy who has played in 5 games against QBs who have played 6 games.

He is #12 in completions PER GAME

He is #8 in attempts PER GAME

He is #3 in yards PER GAME.

He is #8 in touchdowns PER GAME

He is #2 in interceptions PER GAME

He is #9 in sacks per attempt

He is #24 in completion %

He is #2 in YPA

Since you have something to say obviously, I can respect that. Now, go a pull one post that I've bashed Kirk as you claimed I did in your post above. Go and pull one post of ANY attacks that I've ever said about Kirk Cousins. Go and pull one post that anything I've said regarding Kirk Cousins and RG3 play on the field that's NOT accurate! Go and pull 1..........I could careless if you feel I was condescending in my replies. I know I wasn't.

In fact I've readily admitted RG3 faults as well because I'm even all around. I've made it NO secret that prefer RG3 over Kirk. I've also made it NO secret that I want Cousins to be successful. Pull ONE post that says otherwise...............You see I've seen Kirks flaws all the way back in college and I warned against people saying he was our saviour. and he was better than RG3 etc etc. If you think I relish in Cousins failures as a QB so I can be right then you are.......... :) I leave it there.

I think we just need to give up on ncr2h. Cousins could throw for -20 yards, 0 TDS, and 8 INTs and he would find some bizarre completely arbitrary metric that would show him being a top QB in the league.

Yes sir. He keeps returning with more every time. I'm amazed at how he keeps it coming.

Archived