Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

It doesn't matter how fast Kirk is getting the ball out if he's making terrible throws and throwing picks. I'd rather him "SLOW" down and hold the ball a little longer because some of his pick are thrown without pressure. It's like he want to make sure he keeps getting the ball out fast but it doesn't matter if the results aren't good one's.

And I don't think he reads defenses well and he's been a pocket passer his whole football career so that's alarming in itself. I will continue to back him as he's the starter for my favorite team but his shown his true colors IMO.

Hail

To be fair, these are KCs total of 8 starts:

5 out of 8 games had multiple TDs (only had 1 game without a TD throw)

4 games with mult INTS (high was 4)

4 out of 8 games had ratings below 80

2 of those were below 60 (one was below 40)

Like I said, add all those together and we have poor QB play overall.

Isn't it interesting that people seem to be under the assumption that I would obviously need to come into this thread and atone for Cousins' play?

Let's get this straight - 

Completions: #7

Attempts: #7

Yards: #3

Completion Pct.: #17 (#4 among QBs with at least 600 attempts)

YPA: #4

TDs: #4

INTs: #27 (among QBs with 300+ attempts)

Sacks: #4 (among QBs with 300+ attempts - meaning, he would have taken the 4th fewest sacks in the league last year despite being #7 in the league in attempts)

If I were to tell you that the above rankings were achieved by a 26 year-old QB in his first year as a starter, would your response be:

(a) He sucks

(b ) Bench him and put in Colt McCoy

(c ) Anybody who thinks he's playing well is delusional and needs to come log onto ES to do a daily checkup on his interception count

(d) All of the above, or

(e) Damn, those actually are pretty good

Cousins and the passing game are basically the only part of this team that is showing up to play at a high level every single week.  Does that mean he's playing perfect?  No.  He sailed some passes, he pressed too much, and he choked when the pressure mounted.  Does that mean we can write his whole career off?  No.  He's shown way too much promise to not ride him out for a few more games to see if he can work through this.

(note - the above rankings are based on where his 2014 stats, if projected over 16 games, would have ranked him among passers in 2013.  Doing a per game ranking for 2014 passers would be more time consuming, since not all QBs have played the same amount of games.  I am confident that the results would not be materially different)

To be fair, these are KCs total of 8 starts:

5 out of 8 games had multiple TDs (only had 1 game without a TD throw)

4 games with mult INTS (high was 4)

4 out of 8 games had ratings below 80

2 of those were below 60 (one was below 40)

Like I said, add all those together and we have poor QB play overall.

Just to add to that:

Career games with 250+ yards passing, 0 INTs, 0 fumbles:

RG3: 1 (3% of his total games played)

Cousins: 2 (25% of his total games played)*

*note: is a turnover machine

Kirk Cousins has thrown 18 interceptions in 13 games.

Robert Griffin III has thrown 17 interceptions in 30 games.

How come Kirk never gets criticized for not being able to read defenses?

Amen to this Boss. I've been wondering the same thing.

Isn't it interesting that people seem to be under the assumption that I would obviously need to come into this thread and atone for Cousins' play?

Sacks: #4 (among QBs with 300+ attempts - meaning, he would have taken the 4th fewest sacks in the league last year despite being #7 in the league in attempts)

If I were to tell you that the above rankings were achieved by a 26 year-old QB in his first year as a starter, would your response be:

(a) He sucks

(c ) Anybody who thinks he's playing well is delusional and needs to come log onto ES to do a daily checkup on his interception count

(d) All of the above, or

Cousins and the passing game are basically the only part of this team that is showing up to play at a high level every single week.  Does that mean he's playing perfect?  No.  He sailed some passes, he pressed too much, and he choked when the pressure mounted.  Does that mean we can write his whole career off?  No.  He's shown way too much promise to not ride him out for a few more games to see if he can work through this.

(note - the above rankings are based on where his 2014 stats, if projected over 16 games, would have ranked him among passers in 2013.  Doing a per game ranking for 2014 passers would be more time consuming, since not all QBs have played the same amount of games.  I am confident that the results would not be materially different)

Man I honestly think you believe this stuff you're peddling. Talk about being delusional. Geez.........RG3 numbers and QBR is better than Kirk. And, Kirk had more turnovers in 8 games than RG3 had in 30. Yet you wanted to get rid of RG3 and ride with Kirk? WOW.....that makes sooooo much sense.

Man I honestly think you believe this stuff you're peddling. Talk about being delusional. Geez.........RG3 numbers and QBR is better than Kirk. And, Kirk had more turnovers in 8 games than RG3 had in 30. Yet you wanted to get rid of RG3 and ride with Kirk? WOW.....that makes sooooo much sense.

Have to be careful when debating stats:

RG3:

2013 QBR = 40.1  (82)

2014 QBR = 36.1

KC:

2013 QBR = 26.5

2014 QBR = 51.5  (88)

If we are ONLY looking at stats, there is an argument to be made about KC looking better.  HOWEVER, the issue is the 4th Qtr meltdowns and the tendency to not show up when the game is on the line.  If we only used 3 quarters to look at both, KC is MUCH, MUCH better than RG3.  Now, you throw in the 4th Qtr (most important) and things are very different.

All that being said, I do think we know what we get with KC and need to see what we get with RG3 giving him the benefit of 2013 just a case of a recovering injured QB trying to do to much to soon.

(a) He sucks

(d) All of the above, or

But the stat that matters the most is 1-7 as a starter.  If we are going to compare then lets compare what matters the most wins and losses.  We want to talk about Peyton Manning and his start but that is not a fair comparison, he was straight out of college how about comparing to Romo who sat for 3 years before he played, Aaron Rodgers and other qb's who sat for 2 years.  You will see that Cousins should be further along than where he is at. 

Alfred is not getting as many touches because they are crowding the box on account of the threat of the QB taking off isn't there anymore so now they can just tee off on him. I do think the coaching staff can get a little more diverse in the run game with him. It seems like he only runs stretch plays and while he's good at that, other teams are aware of this and take it away. This whole pocket passer vs. mobile QB thing is like comparing apples to oranges. We've seen both receive career ending injuries, we've seen both win the superbowl. In my honest opinion with the o line that we have, we need a mobile QB for the simple fact that, if they can't protect you you have to protect yourself. We know our o line is beyond suspect. We had a worst line in 2012 and the RO helped the line out because they didn't have to hold their blocks as long. In fact they left the defensive end unblocked and RG3 read him and countered. They are asking Kirk cousins to stand behind that line and be calm and collective when you have 300+ lb. ends with their ears pinned back charging at him, not gonna happen. That why he rushes some throws that he really don't have to rush outta fear. I feel bad for him actually.

Cousins is going through what a lot of young guys without a lot of starting experience go through. The question is will he ever grow past this? Is this who he is after 9 starts? Or can he improve? I still think it's way too early to say this is the guy he's going to be 3-4 years down the line. But it is a concern.

One of the few posts by you on this thread that I agree with lol...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000410884/article/kirk-cousins-in-no-danger-of-losing-job-to-colt-mccoy

Kirk Cousins in no danger of losing job to Colt McCoy

Mired in last place in the NFC East, the Washington Redskins have lost all seven games started byKirk Cousins over the past two seasons.

Although Cousins is now leading the NFL with eight interceptions, coach Jay Gruden stated emphatically Monday that he has not considered turning to third-stringer Colt McCoy as the starting quarterback until Robert Griffin III returns from a dislocated ankle.

Cousins has been far from an abject disaster as RGIII's fill-in, but it speaks volumes that reporters are even inquiring about McCoy.

It was just three weeks ago that Gruden wouldn't rule out sticking with Cousins for the rest of the season.

Since then, Cousins has tossed seven interceptions while the Redskins' season threatens to slip away.

If this were basketball, Cousins would make for a fine sixth man coming on to spell a brittle starter or inject offense into a lifeless unit. With the highest career interception percentage among current NFL starters, though, he's simply too turnover-prone to take the franchise keys from Griffin.

more <inc. video> at link

Wait what? I'm pretty we are talking about this year and not whatever bizarre hodgepodge of stats accumulated this year that you are projecting over 16 games LAST YEAR.

Stats through Week 6

Completions: 17th

Attempts: 16th

Completion Pct: 21st

YPA: 2nd(Hey we're getting somewhere)

YPG: 3rd(Lookin' good Kirk)

TDs: 4 way tie for 10th(Meh)

INTs: 1st(and in one less game, oops)

Sacks: 28th(How is he throwing so many picks from the bottom of this list)

So he currently leads the NFL in passes picked off but according to you projected over 16 games that would make him 27th. 23rd when you add in the arbitrary 300 Pass attempt cutoff.

So you seriously just projected that he will not only will he not throw any more interceptions at this current rate, but that he won't throw another pick the entire year?

Jesus man, this is your saddest work yet.

Have to be careful when debating stats:

RG3:

2013 QBR = 40.1  (82)

2014 QBR = 36.1

KC:

2013 QBR = 26.5

2014 QBR = 51.5  (88)

If we are ONLY looking at stats, there is an argument to be made about KC looking better.  HOWEVER, the issue is the 4th Qtr meltdowns and the tendency to not show up when the game is on the line.  If we only used 3 quarters to look at both, KC is MUCH, MUCH better than RG3.  Now, you throw in the 4th Qtr (most important) and things are very different.

All that being said, I do think we know what we get with KC and need to see what we get with RG3 giving him the benefit of 2013 just a case of a recovering injured QB trying to do to much to soon.

There is no way RG3 QBR (Quarter Back Rating) is 36.1 in 2014. He only played in 1 game. So why bring up RG3 stats from 2014? And lets not cherry pick stats please. That's avoiding the total picture of 4qtrs played by each QB. Stop with this if we did this, it would be this or that. Neither QB play for fragmented quarters.

RG3 QBR for 2014 is 98.4 Kirk Cousins QBR for 2014 is- 88.3 Why are you comparing numbers from 2014? And no i don't have to be careful comparing stats because I know for a fact Kirks is not better. Kirk numbers are skewed due to big gains on short passes. Such as the screens to Helu and DJacks, THIS year. RG3 has played again ONLY 1 game. WTH.............

And lets not forget RG3 had 3203 yds in 12 games last year 16TDS and 12INT's (12 games)

Cousins is going through what a lot of young guys without a lot of starting experience go through. The question is will he ever grow past this? Is this who he is after 9 starts? Or can he improve? I still think it's way too early to say this is the guy he's going to be 3-4 years down the line. But it is a concern.

Perfectly logical and reasonable post.  There's a lot of young QBs that never would've made it had they been given up on after 9 starts.   And those 9 starts often weren't as good as Kirk's.  I guess it's how do you decide if a guy gets to play through his struggles versus a guy getting buried under the bench.  

For whatever reason, people are more convinced that this is who Kirk is and will always be, but we've not seen the best of Colt McCoy yet.  lol  Or that the best of McCoy, a guy who's had his opportunities, is somehow better than this.  

But the stat that matters the most is 1-7 as a starter.  If we are going to compare then lets compare what matters the most wins and losses.  We want to talk about Peyton Manning and his start but that is not a fair comparison, he was straight out of college how about comparing to romoSUCKS who sat for 3 years before he played, Aaron Rodgers and other qb's who sat for 2 years.  You will see that Cousins should be further along than where he is at. 

Jason Campbell had a better winning percentage than RG3 at this point in their careers.  If that is the only stat that matters, wouldn't you have to say that Jason Campbell is a better QB than RG3?

Cousins has faced a murderer's row of a schedule.  Besides having 3 of his 6 games against top 10 defenses according to footballoutsiders, the record of teams he's faced is a combined 15-13.  The record of teams he's lost to is a combined 15-7, for a winning percentage of 68%.  This projects to an average team strength of 11-5.  Cousins faced them with a team that just went 3-13 and is riddled with injuries.

I'm just curious as to what your expectation was for Cousins during these games?  Keep in mind the alternative is a guy who has gone 1-9 in his last 10 games against teams with records of .500 or better, with a median point total of 18 despite 4 of those games being against defenses ranked #29 or lower.

Jason Campbell had a better winning percentage than RG3 at this point in their careers.  If that is the only stat that matters, wouldn't you have to say that Jason Campbell is a better QB than RG3?

Cousins has faced a murderer's row of a schedule.  Besides having 3 of his 6 games against top 10 defenses according to footballoutsiders, the record of teams he's faced is a combined 15-13.  The record of teams he's lost to is a combined 15-7, for a winning percentage of 68%.  This projects to an average team strength of 11-5.  Cousins faced them with a team that just went 3-13 and is riddled with injuries.

I'm just curious as to what your expectation was for Cousins during these games?  Keep in mind the alternative is a guy who has gone 1-9 in his last 10 games against teams with records of .500 or better, with a median point total of 18 despite 4 of those games being against defenses ranked #29 or lower.

Man STOP LOL! What was your expectation of Kirk? What where you saying the WHOLE time before Kirk got his opportunity? You didn't say ANYTHING about the teams on the schedule. You kept saying if we want to win, start KIrk Cousins!!! Now you are back peddling and coming up with more jive and these crazy fantasy charts to prove why Kirk is still better than RG3.

You are something else dude. A true politician. LOLOL

Kirk's "murderer's row" last year were a combined 17-28 when he was stinking out the joint.

Yeah but that was last year, which we can throw out because REASONS while simultaneously stating our other QB's stats from 2013 are a set in stone representation of what kind of QB he is and will always be, all while incorrectly extrapolating the current QB in question's 2014 stats over last years numbers to show how much potential he has and what's that my brain is leaking out of my ear and onto my left shoulder you don't say well that can't be *THUD*

There is no way RG3 QBR (Quarter Back Rating) is 36.1 in 2014. He only played in 1 game. So why bring up RG3 stats from 2014? And lets not cherry pick stats please. That's avoiding the total picture of 4qtrs played by each QB. Stop with this if we did this, it would be this or that. Neither QB play for fragmented quarters.

RG3 QBR for 2014 is 98.4 Kirk Cousins QBR for 2014 is- 88.3 Why are you comparing numbers from 2014? And no i don't have to be careful comparing stats because I know for a fact Kirks is not better. Kirk numbers are skewed due to big gains on short passes. Such as the screens to Helu and DJacks, THIS year. RG3 has played again ONLY 1 game. WTH.............

And lets not forget RG3 had 3203 yds in 12 games last year 16TDS and 12INT's (12 games)

We are talking about 2 different numbers, I do agree his rating for 2014 is 98.4 and KC is 88.3, however, the QBR is what I was looking at. 

I brought up 2013 and 2014 and combined them to give a better picture of both QBs over both years.  Like I said, stats can be manipulated to support either argument.  And if we do want to compare RG3 (2013) to KC (2014) then KC QBR is 88.3 and RG3 is 82.2 which is better.

I only referenced being careful about using stats BECAUSE they can be manipulated to support an argument. 

3200 yds in 2013 doesn't impress me since we were down by multiple points in multiple games and had to resort to passing A LOT to try and catch up.

All of that, I said the book is closed on KC and we really need to see RG3 in and see if he can master this offense. 

I feel we have now come full circle on the whole debate thing again:)

Perfectly logical and reasonable post.  There's a lot of young QBs that never would've made it had they been given up on after 9 starts.   And those 9 starts often weren't as good as Kirk's.  I guess it's how do you decide if a guy gets to play through his struggles versus a guy getting buried under the bench.  

For whatever reason, people are more convinced that this is who Kirk is and will always be, but we've not seen the best of Colt McCoy yet.  lol  Or that the best of McCoy, a guy who's had his opportunities, is somehow better than this.  

So true. Can you imagine the ones that where given up on after a couple years like Drew Brees, Bret Farve and Steve Young? Hell even Doug Williams? Boy I tell ya, some fans man, you know what i mean?

We are talking about 2 different numbers, I do agree his rating for 2014 is 98.4 and KC is 88.3, however, the QBR is what I was looking at. 

I brought up 2013 and 2014 and combined them to give a better picture of both QBs over both years.  Like I said, stats can be manipulated to support either argument.  And if we do want to compare RG3 (2013) to KC (2014) then KC QBR is 88.3 and RG3 is 82.2 which is better.

I only referenced being careful about using stats BECAUSE they can be manipulated to support an argument. 

3200 yds in 2013 doesn't impress me since we were down by multiple points in multiple games and had to resort to passing A LOT to try and catch up.

All of that, I said the book is closed on KC and we really need to see RG3 in and see if he can master this offense. 

I feel we have now come full circle on the whole debate thing again:)

Are you seriously going to compare RG3 2013 numbers to Cousins 2014? REALLY??? How about Kirk Cousins has WAY more weapons in 2014? RG3 had NO DJax, NO Andre Roberts, NO Jordan Reed, NO Niles Paul (couldn't catch a cold in 2013). RG3 had NO deep threat last year!!!

Again it's no comparison as RG3 did more with A LOT less and LESS turnovers. Come on man lol. RG3 basically played hog tied by the weapons he had. And he was coming off a major injury and still put up those numbers. Teams stacked the box last year because we had NO deep threat! they stack the box this year because they DON'T fear Cousins and dares him to beat them. It's been working.

Yeah but that was last year, which we can throw out because REASONS while simultaneously stating our other QB's stats from 2013 are a set in stone representation of what kind of QB he is and will always be, all while incorrectly extrapolating the current QB in question's 2014 stats over last years numbers to show how much potential he has and what's that my brain is leaking out of my ear and onto my left shoulder you don't say well that can't be *THUD*

It really is amazing.

Are you seriously going to compare RG3 2013 numbers to Cousins 2014? REALLY??? How about Kirk Cousins has WAY more weapons in 2014? RG3 had NO DJax, NO Andre Roberts, NO Jordan Reed, NO Niles Paul (couldn't catch a cold in 2013). RG3 had NO deep threat last year!!!

Again it's no comparison as RG3 did more with A LOT less and LESS turnovers. Come on man.......lol

That is my point, I would not compare the 2, I was pointing out that stats do not tell the whole story.  I think if you added the yds KC has and put them over a season you could come up with over 5200 yds.  However, he would have 5200 yds, probably 32-35 TDs and then have about a million INTs (not really a million, closer to 24 - 26 or so total). 

Archived