Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

Like I just replied, there are more than 10 on this list, there are a lot more on the list and more QBs who are currently starting. Plus, a couple had MULTIPLE seasons throwing 20 or more picks (QBs who are playing today).

Ok but how many threw 20 or more and dont make the HOF list? Which list is longer, and therefore, which list is KC statistically more likely to land on? Thats what I'm getting at. I dont even know the answer... 20 INTs could be a glaring signal for future Superbowl winner, idk. Having that number would certainly help to inform us though.

Ok but how many threw 20 or more and dont make the HOF list? Which list is longer, and therefore, which list is KC statistically more likely to land on? Thats what I'm getting at. I dont even know the answer... 20 INTs could be a glaring signal for future Superbowl winner, idk. Having that number would certainly help to inform us though.

I don't think anyone knows that answer, only time will tell (what side Kirk is on).  Oh, the list of non HOFers who threw more than 20 is much longer, that I am definitely sure.  But, if 20 INTs is the sign of a SB winner, that really screws everything up, eh?  A couple of HOFers though did it multiple years and were pretty damn good at it:)  My point was simple though, just because a QB throws a lot of INTs in a year, doesn't necessarily mean they wont get better.  Not trying to put Kirk in any of those, it is way to early to tell for him and not sure he will ever get the chance to prove anyone right or wrong about him.  He is definitely on pace to throw at least 20 though.

Isn't it interesting that people seem to be under the assumption that I would obviously need to come into this thread and atone for Cousins' play?

Let's get this straight - 

Completions: #7

Attempts: #7

Yards: #3

Completion Pct.: #17 (#4 among QBs with at least 600 attempts)

YPA: #4

TDs: #4

INTs: #27 (among QBs with 300+ attempts)

Sacks: #4 (among QBs with 300+ attempts - meaning, he would have taken the 4th fewest sacks in the league last year despite being #7 in the league in attempts)

If I were to tell you that the above rankings were achieved by a 26 year-old QB in his first year as a starter, would your response be:

(a) He sucks

(b ) Bench him and put in Colt McCoy

(c ) Anybody who thinks he's playing well is delusional and needs to come log onto ES to do a daily checkup on his interception count

(d) All of the above, or

(e) Damn, those actually are pretty good

Cousins and the passing game are basically the only part of this team that is showing up to play at a high level every single week.  Does that mean he's playing perfect?  No.  He sailed some passes, he pressed too much, and he choked when the pressure mounted.  Does that mean we can write his whole career off?  No.  He's shown way too much promise to not ride him out for a few more games to see if he can work through this.

(note - the above rankings are based on where his 2014 stats, if projected over 16 games, would have ranked him among passers in 2013.  Doing a per game ranking for 2014 passers would be more time consuming, since not all QBs have played the same amount of games.  I am confident that the results would not be materially different)

Yep. We're what? 1-8 in Cousins' last 9 starts?

I think you should probably just delete that post and we can close this thread now.

I think people are still missing the point of Robert vs. Kirk, which is that if the Coaches who evaluate the game film, practice, etc etc feel that Robert is the better QB and the future of the franchise, you don't take away from his development for a QB who you feel is a career backup unless he goes out there and leaves no doubt that he is better than the starter in every way.

Cousins at best right now has been inconsistent and full of bad decisions when the games get tight.  It doesn't mean he is terrible, or will never start for a team eventually in his career, but he hasn't shown that he is overall a better QB than Robert.

I've said this a long time ago that it seems like his arm gets tired as the game progresses. We need to stop putting the game on Cousins. People need to step up and make a play for once. The "unbelievable catches" from Eagles WRs and Cardinals WRs when the game was close made a huge difference against us. I really don't see it from our players except Djax. Also, regardless if our Oline sucks, Morris and Helu need to create their own holes and get more than 1-2 yards a carry. It's no excuse. 

I think the organization needs to find out if Griffin is the guy, therefore he needs to get back on the field. I would like to see him play the final six games or so. I would also like to see Cousins play well in the next 3-4 weeks and cut down on the picks.

It's not just reducing turnovers I want to see (though I do want to see that) it's significantly improved performance on 3rd down and later in games in key situations.

The problem will be that if we don't get our running game going then Cousins closing out the game will mean continuing to throw it. Now being ahead (if we are) will presumably help his mental confidence but if this is a tiredness problem then those issues may continue.

Perhaps we need to make him sit in a chair and throw the football like Griffin did when he was injured!

The problem will be that if we don't get our running game going then Cousins closing out the game will mean continuing to throw it. Now being ahead (if we are) will presumably help his mental confidence but if this is a tiredness problem then those issues may continue.

Perhaps we need to make him sit in a chair and throw the football like Griffin did when he was injured!

I refuse to believe that his struggling in the second half of games versus the first half is a conditioning issue - its certainly not conditioning thats impacting performance on 3rd and passing downs as thats something happening right through games.

I do agree that getting ahead and playing with a lead would be a good thing!

I've said this a long time ago that it seems like his arm gets tired as the game progresses. We need to stop putting the game on Cousins. People need to step up and make a play for once. The "unbelievable catches" from Eagles WRs and Cardinals WRs when the game was close made a huge difference against us. I really don't see it from our players except Djax. Also, regardless if our Oline sucks, Morris and Helu need to create their own holes and get more than 1-2 yards a carry. It's no excuse. 

You can't create your own holes when you're being hit by 2 guys behind the line of scrimmage every play.

Our o-line is dreadful at run blocking (decent to mediocre at pass blocking) and it's even worse because teams are putting 8 or 9 guys in the box on every play. 

I feel like we don't have audibles built into our scheme, I've watched several times in the past 3 or 4 games the Redskins go to the line of scrimmage and look at a 9 man front, and still continue to snap the ball and run right into it for a 1 yard gain. It blows my mind. 

The argument against Cousins and inexperience with interceptions lies with our own Redskins.  Cousins is now a third year player.  When Mark Rypien or Jay Schroeder came out as a starter for the first time they were polished and ready to go.  We didn't see these interception fests.  When Aaron Rogers came out a few years after being drafted he was pretty darn good too.

Point is, you don't compare a rookie qb making his first starts with a third year QB making their first starts.  That third year QB, esp. one in Kirk's place who has had actual game time experience in multiple games in his first two years, should be more polished.  That's why it is fair to begin judging Cousins now and he shows some really exciting potential and some really frustrating qualities.

I wish he jumped up and grabbed this job by the neck and Wally Pipped Griffin, but he hasn't.  He's shown himself to be a possible NFL starter who with support can be good, but is just a B level QB.  He's good, but his weaknesses are real weaknesses and while he has made too many NFL throws to say he's not an NFL QB I think he can't be an elite QB without much better support (IE defense and oline)

When Mark Rypien or Jay Schroeder came out as a starter for the first time they were polished and ready to go.

LOL it's funny when people post stuff like this.  Do you know what their stats were in the first 5/6 games?

Not to mention, if I had a choice to QB the Mark Rypien or Jay Schroeder team with those teams talent, or this team, I think I might perform a tad better on those teams.  ;)

Well, the latter part of the argument is true, but I seem to recall both coming out and wowing.  Schroeder his first year was selected to the Probowl I believe.

You are talking in Jay Schroeder's first year as a full time starter (again let's not confuse playing on a championship caliber team with playing on a team in disarray, with coaching changes, etc).  I think Jay had a tiny little advantage ;)

The 3 QB's stats aren't that different.

When Mark Rypien or Jay Schroeder came out as a starter for the first time they were polished and ready to go. 

I remember this differently, I remember Rypien having a horrible fumbling problem which was a major issue with him getting a new contract before the record setting 91 season. Rypien was a good QB on a very good offensive team with a VERY good offensive line. Same goes for Jay Schroeder. I am guessing, if you put RG3 OR KC on those teams, they would be VERY GOOD QBs.

Not to mention, their Defenses were ALWAYS very good.

Understood. But is he putting up those numbers up in garbage time or when it really matters? 

I don't think a RB gets garbage time stats. That term is usually tagged to the QB because the QB's team is behind thus they're throwing and not running.

I don't think a RB gets garbage time stats. That term is usually tagged to the QB because the QB's team is behind thus they're throwing and not running.

It's possible

e.g.: 4th quarter, down 10 with 5 minutes left and the offense runs a halfback draw that gets 30 yards because the defense is essentially in prevent.

Or (especially the case of Roy Helu / Kirk Cousins), down by 2 scores on more in the 4th and the quarterback throws a check down to a RB that goes for 20 or 30 yards....

Essentially garbage time stats from a RB as the defense is looking to not concede the big play.

It's possible

e.g.: 4th quarter, down 10 with 5 minutes left and the offense runs a halfback draw that gets 30 yards because the defense is essentially in prevent.

Or (especially the case of Roy Helu / Kirk Cousins), down by 2 scores on more in the 4th and the quarterback throws a check down to a RB that goes for 20 or 30 yards....

Essentially garbage time stats from a RB as the defense is looking to not concede the big play.

Under the scenario you presented I do agree.

****I can finish my response now. I got really busy****

If the QB 'throws" a check down, those stats goes to the QB and the RB will get a "catch" which will not count as a carry.

While I do agree with you to a degree, I disagree with being down by 10 with 5 minutes left is considered "garbage time"! That's still a winnable game or at least a possibility to tie.

Now where I do agree is under the same scenario if there's :50 sec left in the game with no time outs starting on our own 20 yard line, with 80 yards for a TD or FG, that to me is considered as garbage time stats for either the RB or the QB!

But I highly doubt they will be calling a draw that late in the game down 10 with :50 sec left. Your scenario, down 10 with 5 min left I can see them calling a draw or check down.

Archived