Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

FYI - Down 10 with 5 minutes left is not garbage time.  A 30 yard play will have you in or near FG position.

Those weren't the best numbers to use for illustrating the point, but Helu has had some sizeable carries in late half situations where our opponents were more concerned about stopping the pass than the run. IIRC on our FG drive late in the 2nd Qtr when we got the ball with under :40 to go, our first play was a draw which came close to 1st down yardage.

It's possible

e.g.: 4th quarter, down 10 with 5 minutes left and the offense runs a halfback draw that gets 30 yards because the defense is essentially in prevent.

Or (especially the case of Roy Helu / Kirk Cousins), down by 2 scores on more in the 4th and the quarterback throws a check down to a RB that goes for 20 or 30 yards....

Essentially garbage time stats from a RB as the defense is looking to not concede the big play.

The first example wouldn't be considered "garbage time".

The second example wouldn't count towards an RB's yards per carry average.

The impatience of Redskins fans can not be topped by any other fan base. 2 centuries of losing has effected each and every one of us. We complained through out the decades for good coaches, franchise QB's and so on, swearing we could be patient through the learning experience that all players go through, and here we stand today ready to throw out what could end up being one of the best QB's in this league. Yes you heard that right!

This very man that fans have given up on is ranked 11 in the league, and could be the #2 ranked QB in the entire league right now if he would have played in the the 1st game, Luck being #1 with 1987 Yards, Matt Ryan being 2nd with 1850 yards. Kirk Cousins statistics are right with the most elite QB's in the league with 1571 yards and an average 314.2 ypg, and he is only lacking one thing that all the other QB's have and that is experience. The man only has 7 games under his belt, 7 freaking games! He has thrown for more yards in 4 1/2 games than Peyton Manning 1530 and Tony romoSUCKS 1510 has in all 6 starts. 

With only 4 1/2 starts in Jay Grudens offense, Kirk Cousins is only 200+ yards short of passing for more yards than Joe Montana did in his rookie and 2nd season combined, and after Sunday he will most likely have passed that. We complain about 8 int's by Kirk when Peyton Manning threw 28 int's in his 1st season and went 1-15. 

Kirk Cousins could very well be a diamond in the rough and given 2-3 seasons of experience, he will learn from the mistakes and int's he is making it his first season and lead game winning drives. He could very well be one of the best QB's in this league with a few seasons under his belt. This is a guy I hope the Redskins hold onto because Griffins future is not a guarantee, and he will be judged by only winning, which is very hard to do in Washington. After all, our 2nd string QB is playing up to the best QB's in this league, and we still can't seem to win a damn game.

The impatience of Redskins fans can not be topped by any other fan base. 2 centuries of Losing has effected each and every one of us. We complained through out the decades for good coaches, franchise QB's and so on, swearing we could be patient through the learning experience that all players go through, and here we stand today ready to throw out what could end up being one of the best QB's in this league. Yes you heard that right!

This very man that fans have given up on is ranked 11 in the league, and could be the #2 ranked QB in the entire league right now if he would have played in the the 1st game, Luck being #1 with 1987 Yards, Matt Ryan being 2nd with 1850 yards. Kirk Cousins statistics are right with the most elite QB's in the league and he is only lacking one thing that all the other QB's have and that is experience. The man only has 7 games under his belt, 7 freaking games! He has thrown for more yards in 4 1/2 games then Peyton Manning has thrown for all season. He has thrown for 1571 yards and averages 314.2 yards per game.

With only 4 1/2 starts in Jay Grudens offense, Kirk Cousins is only 200+ yards short of passing for more yards than Joe Montana did in his rookie and a full 2nd season combined, and after Sunday he will most likely have passed for more yards in only 5 starts than Montana's did in a full 16 game season. We complain about 8 int's by Kirk when Peyton Manning threw 28 int's in his 1st season and went 1-15. 

Kirk Cousins could very well be a diamond in the rough and given 2-3 seasons of experience, he will learn from the mistakes and int's he is making it his first season and lead game winning drives. He could very well be one of the best QB's in this league with a few seasons under his belt. This is a guy I hope the Redskins hold onto because Griffins future is not a guarantee, and he will be judged by only winning, which is very hard to do in Washington. After all, our 2nd string QB is playing up to the best QB's in this league, and we can't seem to win a damn game.

Drew Brees, in his 3rd year in the league, went 1-7 and then got benched in favor of Doug Flutie. In the last 3 games before being benched Brees threw zero TDs and 4 INTs, all losses. The Chargers drafted his replacement in the first round the following offseason. That's how much Brees sucked eggs at the same point Cousins is at lol...

Griffin has missed 6 games (so far) due to injury in his first 2 1/2 seasons in the NFL. Matthew Stafford missed 19 games in his first 2 years in the league. Since coming back from those injuries, Stafford has thrown for more yards than every single QB in the league except for--wait for it--Drew Brees. And he hasn't missed another game since.

So I agree...the book hasn't been written for either QB quite yet. I'm not giving up on either.

blah blah blah

I agree that people shouldn't jump to conclusions on Kirk just yet. He's played well in stretches, but he has been a turnover machine so far in his young career. Your post about Kirk's stats being "right with the most elite QB's in the league" is kind of a joke. Yards wise, yes. Alas, passing yards don't win games.

TD passes win games. Ball security and good decision making win games. Coming up aces when the game is on the line, leading your team to a winning score wins games. Throwing 4 picks in the 4th quarter of a close game WILL NOT win games.

I like Kirk, but he hasn't earned anything yet, other than showing flashes of potential, which is what this franchise is great at, until they crush your dreams over and over again.

Blah blah blah, whaa whaa whaa!

As I said, Peyton Manning threw 28 int's his 1st season and good thing it wasn't here in Washington because fans like you would swear he would be the worst QB to ever play the game and has no future in the NFL! Kirk has thrown 8 int's and as I said, some fans can't wait over 5 freaking weeks to judge a players future. So go on back to the "give up" state you are in, after all he can never be a good QB after all the 8 int's he made in his first 4 1/2 starts.

As I said, Peyton Manning threw 28 int's his 1st season and good thing it wasn't here in Washington because fans like you would wear he would be the worst QB to ever play the game and has no future in the NFL!

Yeah.  But the difference is that Peyton also threw the ball 575 times that season, 26 TDs, and 3739 yards, had 42 passes of 20+ yards, and was the #1 overall pick in the draft.  And while he was prone to making mistakes, there was no question they were throwing everything at him to learn as fast as possible, and it was a developmental year.  

Sure, they finished 3-13. But they were also coming off of a 3-13 season.

And whatever questions there might have been were answered pretty quickly the next year, when he went to 4,00+ yards, still 26 TDs, 15 INTs, and the record turned around to 13-3.  And then we're off to the races.

Comparing the situations that Kirk and Peyton were in is not similar.  

Now, your grander point about the fan base is completely, 100% accurate.  The hate on the dude would have been extreme in that first year, and he would have been labeled a bust, etc.  But I think there would be enough folks around that would have seen that he was progressing during his rookie year, and learning, and that he was showing some pretty good signs of improvement.  

Aikman went 1-15 in his rookie year as well, if I recall.

But, if you're the #1 #1, you get a little longer.  Hell, J. Russell got a few years to prove that he was a lout.  And that was obvious BEFORE he was drafted #1 #1.  

As I said, Peyton Manning threw 28 int's his 1st season and good thing it wasn't here in Washington because fans like you would swear he would be the worst QB to ever play the game and has no future in the NFL! Kirk has thrown 8 int's and as I said, some fans can't wait over 5 freaking weeks to judge a players future. So go on back to the "give up" state you are in, after all he can never be a good QB after all the 8 int's he made in his first 4 1/2 starts.

Kirk is a 3rd year QB, stop comparing him to people in their rookie years who were considered to be legendary prospects. It is absurd.

Also these weren't his first 4 and a half starts. He's done this all 3 years. We are judging a larger body of work than this year.

The impatience of Redskins fans can not be topped by any other fan base. 2 centuries of losing has effected each and every one of us. We complained through out the decades for good coaches, franchise QB's and so on, swearing we could be patient through the learning experience that all players go through, and here we stand today ready to throw out what could end up being one of the best QB's in this league. Yes you heard that right!

This very man that fans have given up on is ranked 11 in the league, and could be the #2 ranked QB in the entire league right now if he would have played in the the 1st game, Luck being #1 with 1987 Yards, Matt Ryan being 2nd with 1850 yards. Kirk Cousins statistics are right with the most elite QB's in the league with 1571 yards and an average 314.2 ypg, and he is only lacking one thing that all the other QB's have and that is experience. The man only has 7 games under his belt, 7 freaking games! He has thrown for more yards in 4 1/2 games than Peyton Manning 1530 and Tony romoSUCKS 1510 has in all 6 starts. 

With only 4 1/2 starts in Jay Grudens offense, Kirk Cousins is only 200+ yards short of passing for more yards than Joe Montana did in his rookie and 2nd season combined, and after Sunday he will most likely have passed that. We complain about 8 int's by Kirk when Peyton Manning threw 28 int's in his 1st season and went 1-15. 

Kirk Cousins could very well be a diamond in the rough and given 2-3 seasons of experience, he will learn from the mistakes and int's he is making it his first season and lead game winning drives. He could very well be one of the best QB's in this league with a few seasons under his belt. This is a guy I hope the Redskins hold onto because Griffins future is not a guarantee, and he will be judged by only winning, which is very hard to do in Washington. After all, our 2nd string QB is playing up to the best QB's in this league, and we still can't seem to win a damn game.

So many things I see wrong with what you wrote. 

1) passing yards don't win games.  They are stopping our run, and allowing Kirk to throw because throwing for a lot of yards doesn't get the W.  Think of Wilson in Seattle - low yards, lots of wins.

2) Kirk may only have 7 starts, but that those are nicely spread out over 3 seasons.  Face it, Kirk is a third year QB, but is making rookie mistakes. 

3) Kirk chokes in the 4th quarter.  I said it in a different post where someone compared Luck to Kirk.  I said the difference was that Luck threw the INTs early in the game and TDs at the end.  Kirk throws the INTs in the 4th when it costs us the game.

Instead of the clean - cut black kid? Interesting.

He's not clean cut, he is trying to grow something on his face, can't tell if it is a mustache, go tee, beard, etc.  As to sticking with the clean cut white kid, I think he may be referring to the ONLY QB on the roster who is even close to having a .500 winning record. 

He's not clean cut, he is trying to grow something on his face, can't tell if it is a mustache, go tee, beard, etc.  As to sticking with the clean cut white kid, I think he may be referring to the ONLY QB on the roster who is even close to having a .500 winning record.

Colt mccoy?

I think, while cute & a bit wishful, the book has well been closed on KC, & we're only witnessing the observational data meeting with the theory.

I wrote a short dissertation on what kind of QB KC is. I went so far as to explain /predict exactly how i thought his interim management of the offense would go. He actually managed to blow away my predictions. The main thing i didn't predict was the inability to see when he should be more conservative in his approach. I believed him to be smarter than that.

The thing is...the book i wrote is the same one the Giants, & Cards employed when they made their adjustments. Press man to throw off timing, watch his pad level, & follow his shoulders to the ball, he will sail balls with pressure in his face so try to get pressure up the middle & force him out of the pocket on your terms, & finally...he will throw the ball often before he actually sees the man...open or not. He will literally throw the ball before his head comes around to that WR. What's more is he will lean in that direction with his shoulder. If you read that...then just jump the route. Especially when he's flustered & needs to make a play...3rd downs, & 2nd halves from behind.

These are fundamental flaws, & while I don't necessarily believe that a tiger can't change his stripes...these stripes speak specifically to a handful of keys that make it extremely difficult to be a successful QB in this league.

To answer the OP's question, he can't handle pressure.  From ProFootballFocus:

Kirk Cousins – Cousins has posted a 97.5 QB rating and compiled a +7.3 grade when he has time to throw. Under pressure, those numbers drop dramatically to 56.2 and -9.4.

Source: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/17/pff-preview-titans-redskins-week-7/

Kirk is a 3rd year QB, stop comparing him to people in their rookie years who were considered to be legendary prospects. It is absurd.

Also these weren't his first 4 and a half starts. He's done this all 3 years. We are judging a larger body of work than this year.

What is really absurd are fans that think a player is a bust in only 7 starts. As I said, most Redskins fans don't have the patients to wait for any player on this team to learn. We all have seen Cousins accuracy, I recall 3 throws that were placed absolutely perfect, only 3 other QB's in this league could have made those throws and 28 other QB's in this league dream of being that accurate.

Kirk has just come off the bench, he is now learning on the field instead of the sidelines. He should get better every game he plays. The more he plays the more he will work out the mistakes. When he does that, the less int's and mistakes he will make. They are minor mistakes that experience will fix, and not if but when he is matured, he will end up being a very sharp QB. 

Drew Brees, in his 3rd year in the league, went 1-7 and then got benched in favor of Doug Flutie. In the last 3 games before being benched Brees threw zero TDs and 4 INTs, all losses. The Chargers drafted his replacement in the first round the following offseason. That's how much Brees sucked eggs at the same point Cousins is at lol...

Griffin has missed 6 games (so far) due to injury in his first 2 1/2 seasons in the NFL. Matthew Stafford missed 19 games in his first 2 years in the league. Since coming back from those injuries, Stafford has thrown for more yards than every single QB in the league except for--wait for it--Drew Brees. And he hasn't missed another game since.

So I agree...the book hasn't been written for either QB quite yet. I'm not giving up on either.

Interesting, good stuff.

Kirk has just come off the bench, he is now learning on the field instead of the sidelines. He will get better every game he plays and that's a fact! The more he plays the more he will work out the mistakes. When he does that, the less int's and mistakes he will make. They are minor mistakes that experience will fix, and not if but when he is matured, he will end up being a very sharp QB.

Just like he improved from Seattle to Arizona.

Thanks for this post though, yesterday ended up as probably what was the worst day of my life so I really needed a good laugh from The Stadium to cheer me up and this did the job.

Archived