Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

RG3 should be graded more harshly

I don't agree. Too many people on here are cutting off their nose to spite their face in the name of guy who's 1-5 as a starter and is in the process of blowing his second "Brady moment."

"RG3 better win Super Bowls" vs. "Good on ya Kirk, nice close loss buddy, we'll get em' next time."

I like Kirk, root for him short and long term but I don't put him at the same level as RG3, how can anyone?

I don't agree. Too many people on here are cutting off their nose to spite their face in the name of guy who's 1-5 as a starter and is in the process of blowing his second "Brady moment."

"RG3 better win Super Bowls" vs. "Good on ya Kirk, nice close loss buddy, we'll get em' next time."

I like Kirk, root for him short and long term but I don't put him at the same level as RG3, how can anyone?

GOOD POINT!

draft position doesn't matter ... style doesn't matter ... post game comments don't matter ... unrealized potential doesn't matter ...

WINNING matters!  That's why they play the game after all.  Judge RG3 on that ...

2012:  9 - 7 (counting the Seattle Loss and the Ravens win)

2013:  3 - 10

2014:  0 - 1 (not counting the Jax'ville game ... didn't play enough in that one)

Career (30 games):  12 - 18 ... 0.400 Win Percentage

Last 15 games:  3 - 12 ... 0.200 Win Percentage

Last 6 games:  0 - 6 ... 0.000 Win Percentage

(yes I know Cousins' record sucks also:  Career ... 2 - 5 ... 0.285 Win Percentage ... I'm giving him the W for Jax'ville but not the W for the comeback and OT win against the Ravens ... seems fair to me)

RG3 should be graded more harshly

Disagree entirely in a general sense, and specifically in a sense of his success as a QB.

He should be graded more harshly when talking about whether or not he was "worth" the trade we gave up for him or if he was "worthy" of his draft position.

However, in terms of just grading him as a quarterback, what we traded or where he was drafted should be IRRELEVANT. You don't get extra points to your completion percentage because you went 2nd in the draft. You don't get 4 bonus TD's because they trade away first round picks. You don't get to remove 3 picks from your stats becuase you're the face of a franchise.

Griffin could play like Aaron Rodgers or he could play like Brandon Weeden...either way it's not magically making those picks come back. They're gone. They're not recoverable. So how good of a QUARTERBACK Griffin is should have no relation to those picks we traded away.

If you want to say "His result aren't good enough to have warranted trading three picks for him" then you'd have a ponit.

If you want to say "His results aren't good enough to warrant being a good QB considering we traded three picks for him" then you're off base, because the picks we traded for him has no bearing on whether or not he's a good QB.

If we go with Kirk instead of Griffin we don't magically get first round picks given back to us. So at this point, regardless of their draft position or what it cost, when talking about who should be QB, it should be determined by actual tangible things that impact TODAY for them.

NOW, if you want to talk about who may be more "disappointing" or who may be more likely "living up" to what they cost...THEN its reasonable to take it into consideration.

My main problem with Kirk was his defeated 'I cannot do anything right' look. I hate that crap. Too much memory. You screwed up, we get it. Now man up, go out there and kick some ass.

I am not piling on Kirk and haven't joined the debate because I really do not care if he or RG3 becomes our QB. I just want to win. But this defeatist attitude of this franchise needs to go. We need to rid ourselves of this whole whiny we can't do anything right attitude.

When this team screws up they lay down and take it in the backside. That pisses me off more than anything.

If this team is going to be competitive in the next 5 years or so AT LEAST one of three things has to happen:

1.  RG3 has to play at a very high level, which is directly related to what they gave up to get him.

2.  They have to get really lucky and acquire player(s) that play well above the costs to the Redskins to get them

3.  They have to be intentionally bad (e.g. purposely play inferior players, while retaining the better players) so that they get higher picks for a year or so.

Now, I find it hard to believe an NFL team would do #3, and I don't really want them to do so, and I don't think #2 is going to happen (and after their first off season, I don't think the current regime understand how to create conditions in which #2 can happen making it even less likely).

And that isn't just an intellectual exercise or debate of well was RGIII worth it.

That translates from play on the field to winning games and so when I watch RGIII play, I watch with the idea that I REALLY want #1 to happen.

If Cousins is slightly worse than RGIII, should we play Cousins because of the difference in draft position?  No.

But the evaluation of RGIII as a player and what it means to this team can't be separated from his play on the field.

If this team is going to be any good, it REALLY needs RGIII to be a LOT BETTER than Cousins (unless we got really lucky with drafting Cousins).

So you know what, it doesn't bother me much when Cousins has a really bad game, especially if he shows some positives.

Yup like cousins...you just lost all credibility....lol

It was a joke people

And you are definitely correct on that one bro. I wonder what they're saying now? It's strange because NONE of them are posting ANYTHING today. I've seen RG3 bashed beyond belief and blamed for EVERYTHING by certain posters! I'm very curious to see what they have to say today.

I'm just confused why a lot of you guys think KC's abomination last night proves anything about RG3.

Kirk sucked dog ass. We all saw it. That still doesn't mean RG3 is just gonna turn it on when he comes back.

You guys are more concerned with pissing matches than actual football it seems .

It was a joke people

I'm just confused why a lot of you guys think KC's abomination last night proves anything about RG3.

Kirk sucked dog ass. We all saw it. That still doesn't mean RG3 is just gonna turn it on when he comes back.

You guys are more concerned with pissing matches than actual football it seems .

When did I ever say what Kirk did last night means RG3 would do.........??? It seems like you're more concerned with trying to make it into a pissing match than anything. My statement was referring to what opinions would Kirk supporters have about his performance since they where so hard on RG3!

Sometimes or most times I think you take out of what you read and form your own meaning to it rather than understand what most posters are actually saying.

RG3 is not playing right now. And, you can't find 1 post of me EVER saying "if RG3 played, this or that would've happened..........as it relates to games Kirk has played in a lost. That's not a fair thing to do. But, I also know that's not the case when some pick apart RG3 and his game play.

They will quickly say if Kirk would've played, this or that would've happened. NONE of us know! That's why I never do that. I begs for a debate that's useless.

GOOD POINT!

draft position doesn't matter ... style doesn't matter ... post game comments don't matter ... unrealized potential doesn't matter ...

WINNING matters!  That's why they play the game after all.  Judge RG3 on that ...

RG3 has a division title, earned through great play. That means a lot to me, and should mean a heck of a lot more to people around here. I can't defend a guy who can't stay healthy but I won't give his job away to a guy that doesn't want it. After this last injury I was open to releasing my vice like grip on the "RG3 has to be the starter" mindset.

But Kirk is blowing his SECOND "Brady moment" now. He got an incredible shot to push RG3 going into THIS season by spotting him due to a COACHES DECISION!!!! and he blew it, blew it hard. Now through injury he gets at least half a season this year and he's 0-2 and the absolute reason they lost both of those games.

1. Gained 0 yards on four passes, down 3 in Eagles territory to end the game.

2. Turned it over 5 times against the Giants.

It was a joke people

I figured it was a joke...hence the lol.

I can't speak for the others, but I never even suggested that RG3 is going to just turn it on, in fact I don't think many of us are really saying that. I think what is being said is that RG3 is better then Cousins, and that the perceived QB controversy is now dead

I can't speak for the others, but I never even suggested that RG3 is going to just turn it on, in fact I don't think many of us are really saying that. I think what is being said is that RG3 is better then Cousins, and that the perceived QB controversy is now dead

Second part wasnt for you.

Sorry bro

Great post man. It seems the ones that's always accusing others of having a pissing match are the very ones that respond in a "pissy" non football way. It's actually funny.

GOOD POINT!

2014:  0 - 1 (not counting the Jax'ville game ... didn't play enough in that one)

Last 15 games:  3 - 12 ... 0.250 Win Percentage

(yes I know Cousins' record sucks also:  Career ... 2 - 5 ... 0.400 Win Percentage ... I'm giving him the W for Jax'ville but not the W for the comeback and OT win against the Ravens ... seems fair to me)

You may want to check those percents on the 3 - 12 and 2 - 5. 

RG3 should be graded more harshly because he was the 2nd pick in the draft, and we gave up a lot to get him, and he's played a lot more.

It really isn't RG3's fault, but RG3 needs to be playing a very high level for things to work out for us.

Cousins is a 4th round pick, and if he ends up being a border line starting QB, then that's actually pretty good thing.

This is a crazy thing to say.  At this point, how we aquired the QBs doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is how they grade out in practice and in games.  Whoever has the better grades, plays.  We do not have affirmative action in football.  No sliding scale.  Can you imagine a coach saying well, Kirk is about 90% as good as Robert, but we got him with a 4th round pick, so I am going to start him.  It is a better value.  WTF. 

This next game against Seattle is going to show a lot about Cousins, and his mental state.

There is virtually no way that the 'Skins will be able to run the ball consistently against Seattle, without a significant threat of the Read Option.

Cousins is going to have to throw the ball against the best secondary in football.

I don't think the 'Skins can win that game regardless, but if he comes out and presses, and throws a bunch of picks, that's going to be really bad for him for a really, really long time.

He's got to be settled, and throw the ball quickly and accurately early. 

I don't know how he's going to recover.  But he better be extremely mentally tough. Because if he's not, his career prospects at being a starter might go up in smoke, at least for the foreseeable future, with another performance like the one last night.

GOOD POINT!

Last 15 games:  3 - 12 ... 0.250 Win Percentage

(yes I know Cousins' record sucks also:  Career ... 2 - 5 ... 0.400 Win Percentage ... I'm giving him the W for Jax'ville but not the W for the comeback and OT win against the Ravens ... seems fair to me)

Good stats, but I call BS.  It is a team sport, and Ws and Ls don't completely go to one person.  What you can accurately look at is individual performance.  So, in the lose to the Eagles, we had the ball with a first down at the 41.  Kirk does nothing.  So, that game is more on him than some game where he didn't have a chance for a game winning drive.  Last night - 5 turn overs from the QB.  That is on him more than others (although so many played poorly.)

The lose to the Giants in Robert's rookie year.  He leads a great drive down the field in the last minutes of the game and throws the go ahead TD.  But, the D gives up a 70 yd TD and we lose.  That game is not on Robert.  So, those are only a couple examples, but they demonstrate how only looking at wins is not a fair way to judge between 2 QBs. 

I'm started to think that even a HOF QB couldn't win with this team. We have too many holes to overcome and our D is banged up to the point you gotta score 40 points a game to keep up with an average team. 

This is what I've and a few other poster have been telling you guys in regards to Robert. I never came down on you guys too hard because I knew the Media had brained washed the masses. I mean just look at it. RGIII had a good preseason debut, then some reporter told every naive person that a unknown Pat official says " Kirk is the man for the offense" Buahahaha Yeah right. I called bull off gate! Since when does "Mr Spy gate" ever discuss anything? He never releases any information. Now all of sudden he's telling beat reporters about Redskins Roster lol. They even claimed it was " some source" LMAO and idiots believed it too. Then we were now talking about who should be starter just off of that made up story. It was that easy. We are that fickle of a fan base that any fool can make up a wild story and start a riot. Fans HATED RGIII. Just look at some of the post filled with blind hatred. People thought this was a good team and RGIII was the cause of making us lose. LMAO Skins fans ain't loyal ( Chris Brown vocal) 

Good stats, but I call BS.  It is a team sport, and Ws and Ls don't completely go to one person.  What you can accurately look at is individual performance.  So, in the lose to the Eagles, we had the ball with a first down at the 41.  Kirk does nothing.  So, that game is more on him than some game where he didn't have a chance for a game winning drive.  Last night - 5 turn overs from the QB.  That is on him more than others (although so many played poorly.)

The lose to the Giants in Robert's rookie year.  He leads a great drive down the field in the last minutes of the game and throws the go ahead TD.  But, the D gives up a 70 yd TD and we lose.  That game is not on Robert.  So, those are only a couple examples, but they demonstrate how only looking at wins is not a fair way to judge between 2 QBs. 

I see your BS and raise you a BS ... culturally the QB is the team leader ... that's reality ... even Griffin knows it and embraces it ... "my team" "we go as I go" ...

If you want to say the QB is 'just another role player" on an NFL team ... that's a can of worms that is gonna be a mess

Robert has never been this bad, not even close. This was Ryan Leaf territory. An instant benching if not for Colt McCoy sitting below Cousins on the depth chart.

A loss is a loss. The fact is, neither of them can win games.

Actually it was Cousins not RG3 who got his butt whipped by the Giants last season. 20-6. Cousins had one of the most horrible games I've ever seen from any QB that day, 19 for 49. When RG3 played the Giants, 24-17, not his best game, but a lot better than Cousins. he went 24 for 32.

Dude, it was a ****ing monsoon the day Cousins faced them.

A loss is a loss. The fact is, neither of them can win games.

Dude, it was a ****ing monsoon the day Cousins faced them.

Dude, I was responding to a post which in effect defended Cousins or hit RG3 whichever way you want to take it by suggesting that RG3 played poorly against the Giants.   So I pointed out they had it backwards, it was Cousins not RG3 who played poorly against the Giants that year. 

Archived