Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPhone 6 and iPhone big boy

Springfield

Seems like they dropped the ball on the watch. $100 more expensive than its competitors and not available for close to 6 months. I read that the hands on model just had screenshots of the OS not a full working version. Very un-Apple like.

iYawn.  I guess there isnt any new wow me technology in newer smartphones?.  I thought Jobs had a list of cool stuff he wanted Apple to do with the new phones? Are smartphones at a plateau?

I remember hearing when he died that Jobs had a "roadmap" for the company and they would be okay for several years. He clearly didn't see big phones becoming a thing. The Galaxy Note released right after he died in October of 2011. When it was announced people scoffed at the idea of a 5.3 inch phone. It sold 1 million units in under two months, with no North American model available at that time. 10 million sold in under a year. The rest is history and everyone but Apple jumped into the big phone market.

If Jobs was still alive it would not have taken Apple 3 years to come up with a big phone. It would have been out the next year and he would have been able to spin it so people thought he invented big phones.

Take a look at this photo comparing the iPhone 6+ to a couple of other 5.X inch screen phones. The Apple looks like it is a generation or two older than the others. Apple really seems like it is stuck playing catch up. I suppose it will be a good option for people married to the Apple ecosystem.

post-210301-0-57217100-1410314125_thumb.png

I'm still using the 4s. Hopefully my company will offer the 6 on our plan soon I need to upgrade

I like the 4 but the screen is too small

I'm still on a 4, not even an S lol. I've held out from upgrading due to the fact I'm still on an unlimited data plan with verizon.

Me and the wife are still rocking 4s's because nothing about the 5 or 5s seemed like a huge jump, but we are both ready to upgrade.

Are the prices listed in this thread the prices w/o a contract from your carrier?

$349 for 128 GB doesn't seem that bad, is that for the 6 or 6 plus?

Me and the wife are still rocking 4s's because nothing about the 5 or 5s seemed like a huge jump, but we are both ready to upgrade.

Are the prices listed in this thread the prices w/o a contract from your carrier?

$349 for 128 GB doesn't seem that bad, is that for the 6 or 6 plus?

Those are w/contract prices. From NY Times Q&A:

Q.

Several readers asked about the pricing for non-contract, unlocked phones.

A.

The new iPhone pricing presented by Apple today featured the cost of the devices when combined with a two-year cellular service contract. The iPhone 6 starts at $199 and goes to $299 and $399 depending on memory. The $199 offers 16 GB of memory; the $299 offers 64 GB of memory and the $399 model has 128 GB of memory, double the previous maximum of 64 GB. The iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299 with a two-year contract for 16 GB of storage and is $399 and $499 for 64 GB and 128 GB of storage, respectively.

Non-contract phones are significantly more expensive. Without a contract, the iPhone 6 costs $649 for 16 GB; $749 for 64 GB; and $849 for 128 GB. Without a contract, the iPhone 6 Plus costs $749, $849 and $949.

Not sure if it's true or not, but a friend told me that the iphone 4 will not support the new IOS 8.0 or whatever it is when the new 6 and 6plus comes out.  She told us the 4S will support it, but it will be extremely slow.  If accurate, they are basically phasing out the I4, which sucks.  

That is their process. They do that with every iOS update. The same thing happened to the iPhone 3G S last year, and the iPhone 4 could barely run iOS 7. 

I do have to say it's hilarious seeing the same people who complained about screens being too big all of a sudden get excited because the screen is big.

Kinda like the PS3/4 - PS3 release - it's an entertainment center,  PS4 release - only a gaming machine.

That is their process. They do that with every iOS update. The same thing happened to the iPhone 3G S last year, and the iPhone 4 could barely run iOS 7. 

Yeah. Maybe unfortunate, but absolutely necessary. Apple's ability to manage their OS updates/devices becoming obsolete is honestly one of the things I like most about them.

After two android phones that were broken by OS updates because the hardware was no longer directly supported a mere 16 months after release, I couldn't possibly be happier with Apple. It should never be necessary to root a phone, roll back the OS, and flash a ROM to get a 16 month old phone to work properly (happened with my Droid Charge).

I've never been an Apple fan, outside of the iPod. The first iPhone was something really awesome and really created the smart phone wars we see today. But honestly, when is the last time the iPhone came out and it was something truly different? Maybe the iPhone 4? The 4s's biggest thing was Siri. Most phone already had some sort of voice command with them. What's really changed between the 4s and the 6? Bigger screen is about all I can think of. Apple seems to have lost their innovative ways without Jobs at the helm.

I do have to say it's hilarious seeing the same people who complained about screens being too big all of a sudden get excited because the screen is big.

In response to a question at its press conference today about whether Apple could've done anything to avoid its antenna issues with the iPhone 4, Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's going to buy that." We're assuming he's likely talking about the latest crop of 4-, 4.3- and 5-inch phones that include the Galaxy S series, the EVO 4G, Droid X, and Dell Streak, even going so far as to call them "Hummers" (we take it you don't ever drive a Hummer, Steve?). Though ripping on the competition is to be expected, perhaps the more interesting takeaway here is that we can't realistically expect an iPhone much bigger than the 3.5-inch display they use today -- presumably that'll all be reserved for iPad territory going forward. We personally don't mind something with a little more screen real estate -- but hey, maybe humans need to go through a few more cycles of evolutionary hand enlargement before Cupertino's willing to capitulate.

Steve Jobs, 2010

I love the Apple haters popping in.  The jealousy is funny.

Please. I bought the iPhone Plus about a year ago -- it's called the Galaxy Note 3. It's not jealousy, but it's definitely funny to see how cool the phablet style is now that there's a fruit logo printed on the back of one. 

I had already said to myself that I would be switching to Android if Apple didn't offer a screen similar in size to the S5. They did so I'll be sticking with Apple and the software that I am more familiar with (and really like).

I'd imagine most held a similar view.

Sounds like a good deal....my 4s is in excellent condition.  $200 towards a new iPhone6. I'm in. 

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/09/technology/mobile/verizon-iphone-6/index.html

Verizon offers free iPhone 6 in return for two-year contract, used phone

(Reuters) - Verizon Communications will give subscribers who trade in an old iPhone a free iPhone 6 in exchange for a two-year contract, the country's largest wireless carrier announced hours after Apple Inc unveiled the widely anticipated device.

The announcement came as critics speculated that Apple's newest phone, starting at $199 with a two-year contract, would not be competitive as more carriers eliminate contracts and unbundle service charges from the cost of devices.

Analysts say that by making the cost of devices more transparent, equipment financing plans make expensive handsets like the iPhone less appealing. On the other hand, the plans allow customers to pay for devices in installments, making pricy devices like the iPhone more accessible.

Customers who trade in an iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c or 5s in working condition will receive a $200 gift card to pre-order the 16-gigabyte version of the newer model, Verizon said in a statement. The offer does not apply to Apple's other new phone, the larger iPhone 6 Plus.

Please. I bought the iPhone Plus about a year ago -- it's called the Galaxy Note 3. It's not jealousy, but it's definitely funny to see how cool the phablet style is now that there's a fruit logo printed on the back of one. 

Post all the people in this thread spouting how cool a phablet is, then post all the Apple jealousy posters in this thread.  :lol:   You can't make this stuff up.

You guys are like the boys who couldn't make the high school football team.

Enjoy your Galaxy 3 Note.  Hope you don't do any online banking on your phone or anything else that might risk your personal financial information.

Hope you don't do any online banking on your phone or anything else that might risk your personal financial information.

What does that even mean? I do a bunch of banking on my Moto X, zero problems. Never once have had malware or anything on my phone. You have to be, how do I put this nicely, really dumb to get malware on a cell phone.

Post all the people in this thread spouting how cool a phablet is, then post all the Apple jealousy posters in this thread.  :lol:   You can't make this stuff up.

You guys are like the boys who couldn't make the high school football team.

Enjoy your Galaxy 3 Note.  Hope you don't do any online banking on your phone or anything else that might risk your personal financial information.

Enjoy your iPhone. Hope you don't take any nude selfies.

What is there to be jealous of in this announcement? I'm happy Apple people get to buy a big phone. That is great, welcome to 2012. I don't think the "haters" are motivated by jealousy. They look at people fawning over a product whose biggest selling point is something every other handset maker has been doing for 2-3 years and they don't think it is that big of a deal. 

What does that even mean? I do a bunch of banking on my Moto X, zero problems. Never once have had malware or anything on my phone. You have to be, how do I put this nicely, really dumb to get malware on a cell phone.

You aren't very in tune with security issues on cell phones then.

Enjoy your iPhone. Hope you don't take any nude selfies.

What is there to be jealous of in this announcement? I'm happy Apple people get to buy a big phone. That is great, welcome to 2012. I don't think the "haters" are motivated by jealousy. They look at people fawning over a product whose biggest selling point is something every other handset maker has been doing for 2-3 years and they don't think it is that big of a deal. 

I don't see much fawning.  I do see a bunch of Apple haters popping in to make comments though ;)

I don't see much fawning.  I do see a bunch of Apple haters popping in to make comments though ;)

I'm not seeing a whole lot of "hating" going on here. Just a few people saying "Looks to me like the Emperor walking up the street over there is kinda naked."

Didn't that myth get busted?

Here is a story about it.

On Monday, a Python script emerged on GitHub (which we’re not linking to as there is evidence a fix by Apple is not fully rolled out) that appears to have allowed malicious users to ‘brute force’ a target account’s password on Apple’s iCloud, thanks to a vulnerability in the Find My iPhone service. Brute-force attacks consist of using a malicious script to repeatedly guess passwords in an attempt to discover the correct one.

It’s unclear how long this hole was open, leaving those with simple, guessable passwords easily attacked once hackers had an email address to target. There is still no concrete evidence that these images were leaked via iCloud and may have instead been obtained via multiple attacks, though the hacker that originally leaked the images claims that they were retrieved from iCloud.

A similar kind of attack has occurred before. Hackers have previously used Find My iPhone to hold victims ransom, locking their phones and demanding money in exchange for giving their phone back.

The photos might not have come from it but there was a vulnerability that Apple addressed after the scandal.

Sounds like a good deal....my 4s is in excellent condition.  $200 towards a new iPhone6. I'm in. 

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/09/technology/mobile/verizon-iphone-6/index.html

Verizon offers free iPhone 6 in return for two-year contract, used phone

my question about this (i think it was mentioned last page as well by someone) is, if i'm not yet due for an upgrade (i am in february) can i still trade in my 20 month old 4s with this deal?

Archived