Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014-2015 Washington Capitals Thread - Caps Trade for TJ OSHIE. Kuzy re-ups!

DC9

So Trotz said the lines today are the lines that will start the season:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Fehr

Chimera - Laich - Ward

Johannson - Burakovsky - Brouwer

O'Brien - Kuznetsov - Brown

Not sure I get Kuznetsov on the 4th line and playing limited minutes but we shall see. Don't know which is the 2nd and 3rd line.

Didn't realize he was hurt.

What's his injury and timeline?

Fractured Fibula during the summer. Is skating in the mornings but not with the team yet. Should be ready in a couple weeks after which they will either put him on the 4th line to start or send him to Hershey to build up stamina.

So, because hockey (and thus, the Caps) is about my third favorite sport, I barely follow what the Caps are doing in the off-season. I may check preseason scores but that's about it. Anyway, since the Caps are my #1 hockey team, how are they looking for this season? Are we going to be more competitive in this new tough division this year? What would a good preseason grade be for them? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

So, because hockey (and thus, the Caps) is about my third favorite sport, I barely follow what the Caps are doing in the off-season. I may check preseason scores but that's about it. Anyway, since the Caps are my #1 hockey team, how are they looking for this season? Are we going to be more competitive in this new tough division this year? What would a good preseason grade be for them? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Preseason has never been about seeing how good you are as a team, to me. It's all about evaluating the talent of the young guys (and knocking the rust off the vets). From that stand point, Andre Burakovsky has been impressive and looks the part of an NHL player. Undrafted camp invitee Liam O'Brien's been a firecracker giving 100% effort out there laying out hits, forchecking, dropping the gloves, and crashing the net.

Preseason has never been about seeing how good you are as a team, to me. It's all about evaluating the talent of the young guys (and knocking the rust off the vets). From that stand point, Andre Burakovsky has been impressive and looks the part of an NHL player. Undrafted camp invitee Liam O'Brien's been a firecracker giving 100% effort out there laying out hits, forchecking, dropping the gloves, and crashing the net.

Soo..... you're saying there's a chance?

Soo..... you're saying there's a chance?

Is that what you got from it?

... 'cause that's exactly what I meant! Let's give Stanley a tour of the White House!

In other news, Liam O'Brien is now officially a member of the Capitals Organization.

http://capitalstoday.monumentalnetwork.com/2014/10/06/capitals-sign-liam-obrien

BzSqRYUIAAANQl8.jpg

edit: and one more odd tidbit. Eric Fehr is now an author. He left a copy of his book at everyone's locker.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-04-at-1.55.23-PM.png

Orpik's reaction: "What the hell is this?" :ols:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2014/10/04/eric-fehr-wrote-an-anti-bullying-childrens-book-called-the-bulliest-dozer/

I'm a little late to this, but it looks like that top 30 goalie list is for fantasy hockey.  The guys near the top are the guys who are going to get a lot of starts and the the chance to get a lot of saves.  In that case it looks pretty accurate to me.  

Also, good for O'Brien, he deserves it.  Very impressive this preseason.  Maybe we'll see him on the 4th line soon.

I'm happy that O'Brien earned a contract.  Dude flat out deserved it.  Actual sandpaper in the lineup (not Matt Hendricks) is a great thing.  He's high-energy and does exactly what you want out of a 4th liner.  He also seemed to have nice chemistry, at least in the Canes game, w/ Kuz.

As far as the rest of the team....put it this way.  I'm cautiously optimistic about the season.  For some reason, things just feel different.  I'm excited to see what this team can do.  I really think we can finish as a top 3 team in the East.  The additions of both Trotz and Korn should not be understated. 

Removing Calle as an assistant will instantly make this D better, watch for a massive improvement in fundamentals.  He was a miserable assistant.  D was terrible under him.

Agreed. The interviews with him during games always left me with the impression that he was in way over his head.

Removing Calle as an assistant will instantly make this D better, watch for a massive improvement in fundamentals.  He was a miserable assistant.  D was terrible under him.

Calle openly said "We want to funnel opponents to the middle of the ice" on a Caps Redline I watched last year.  I had to rewind it and play it back twice to make sure I heard that correctly.  ****ing pee wee coaches don't do that...

The two BIGGEST problems with this defense under Oates were very basic... their positioning on the opponents entrance into the zone and then the outlet/exiting the zone.

Right now, we're proper... right around the blue line on the entrance and about five to eight feet from the boards.  Then you invite the rush to wall and you pinch them to below the goal line.  Then just effective exiting.  That'll save a lot of goals.

Most of our goals against last year came on us failing to exit the zone and turning the puck over in the process.  We fix that and we're in the playoffs.  We score more five on five goals and all of a sudden we are an elite team again.

When do they release the promotional schedule★?

To say I'm excited for tomorrow is an understatement... but what is a promotional schedule?

Calle openly said "We want to funnel opponents to the middle of the ice" on a Caps Redline I watched last year.  I had to rewind it and play it back twice to make sure I heard that correctly.  ****ing pee wee coaches don't do that...

The two BIGGEST problems with this defense under Oates were very basic... their positioning on the opponents entrance into the zone and then the outlet/exiting the zone.

Right now, we're proper... right around the blue line on the entrance and about five to eight feet from the boards.  Then you invite the rush to wall and you pinch them to below the goal line.  Then just effective exiting.  That'll save a lot of goals.

Most of our goals against last year came on us failing to exit the zone and turning the puck over in the process.  We fix that and we're in the playoffs.  We score more five on five goals and all of a sudden we are an elite team again.

To say I'm excited for tomorrow is an understatement... but what is a promotional schedule?

You are down in Fort Bragg? Military?

I'm up in Raleigh. Any other Caps fans in North Carolina?

I'm excited for the season to start, but I honestly have no idea how this team will be. The lack of center depth is a major concern but the defense should be better with Trotz.

Present. I live near Greensboro.

Checking the schedule and the Caps play at Carolina on December 4th. I say all NC Capitals fans get tickets and make one of those games at Carolina an Extremeskins Capitals event.

Archived