Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014-2015 Washington Capitals Thread - Caps Trade for TJ OSHIE. Kuzy re-ups!

DC9

First Ovechkin goal from the spot...

OHhMMSa.gif

Took all of 15 seconds into the power play and Rask was late.

2nd goal... another view.  Great keep in by Alzner and then a dish from Nicky.

9D9Rrqq.gif

Ovi is surrounded by all 6 Bruins.  I love this goal.

First Ovechkin goal from the spot...

Took all of 15 seconds into the power play and Rask was late.

2nd goal... another view.  Great keep in by Alzner and then a dish from Nicky.

Ovi is surrounded by all 6 Bruins.  I love this goal.

Ovi may be there greatest player I will ever watch on one of my teams. Certainly top 3 right now.

Late look, didn't see Steph post this but I went back and checked her TL and whala!

867774046.gif?1413073068

This one came right after Kuzya JUST missed scoring... notice all of the defenders are cheating towards 92 because of the threat... Game Over is wide open on the opposite wing.

This late forecheck is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

The first period at Verizon was some of the most hilariously dominant hockey I've ever seen the Caps play, and then they followed it up by shutting out Boston. 

It's still early but this team looks good. I hope that Holtby can keep up his good form. The kid has potential.

2013:

Game 1 - Lost 6-4 to Blackhawks

Game 2 - Won 5-4 (shootout) vs Calgary

Net: -1  GA: 10

2014:

Game 1 - Lost 2-1 (shootout) to Habs

Game 2 - Won 4-0 vs Boston

Net:  +4  GA: 1

See the difference in details already?

The first period at Verizon was some of the most hilariously dominant hockey I've ever seen the Caps play, and then they followed it up by shutting out Boston. 

It's still early but this team looks good. I hope that Holtby can keep up his good form. The kid has potential.

Getting better 5 on 5.  That will be the key to how far this team goes.

Also love this:

PP1

Ovi

Carlson

Brouwer

Nicky

Laich

PP2

Green/Fehr

Niskanen

Wardo

Burakovsky

Kuzya

I generally don't like GMBM cause there seems to be a lack of vision for this team, but the one thing I give him a lot of credit for....he realized the team needed a clear cut number one with a back up who is just that. It was such a cluster last year when they had three goalies and Oates would simply play whomever was hot for a few games. Successful franchises simply don't do that.

I generally don't like GMBM cause there seems to be a lack of vision for this team,

Is it a lack vision on the teams part, or is it simply that its too early for outsiders to understand what the vision is?  I dont think in general its fair to judge a personnel guy before his 3rd year, never mind before his 3rd game, but okay,maybe you know something I dont.  WHat exactly would you have dont differently so far?    

So far, what I like about this team, is it doesnt seem they have to try so damn hard.   I dunno I just have bad memories of TB and NYR series whwere it seemed like we'd dominate play for long stretched  but have nothing to show for it, but the millisecond other team gets a crack of daylight and BAM the puck is in the back of the net instantly.  Today it seemed like we were the team that instanlty capitalized on mistakes, while simultaneously finding ways to duck the consequences of their own mistakes.  THats a good omen, and sign of good coaching and smart hockey;  this all happens when you have players that in position to be able to capitalize on mistakes, and also disciplined enough position to be able to recover from bad bounces or mistakes of their own.  

So far, what I like about this team, is it doesnt seem they have to try so damn hard.   I dunno I just have bad memories of TB and NYR series whwere it seemed like we'd dominate play for long stretched  but have nothing to show for it, but the millisecond other team gets a crack of daylight and BAM the puck is in the back of the net instantly.  Today it seemed like we were the team that instanlty capitalized on mistakes, while simultaneously finding ways to duck the consequences of their own mistakes.  THats a good omen, and sign of good coaching and smart hockey;  this all happens when you have players that in position to be able to capitalize on mistakes, and also disciplined enough position to be able to recover from bad bounces or mistakes of their own.  

This board, including Sticksboi usually blows up around January about the Caps.  I suggest we all do the same.  You don't judge a hockey team after 2 games (or our 1st loss which some did).  In January we will know where we stand.

I think I'm gonna hop back on the Caps this year.  Growing up I was fairly hardcore, then sort of lost interest in college, and since then have kept casual interest until the playoffs (where we flop).  I'm so desperate for a hometown winner, I'll try to pay attention this year.

The 2010 playoffs were sort of demoralizing. 

Is it a lack vision on the teams part, or is it simply that its too early for outsiders to understand what the vision is?  I dont think in general its fair to judge a personnel guy before his 3rd year, never mind before his 3rd game, but okay,maybe you know something I dont.  WHat exactly would you have dont differently so far?    

I think there is a lack of vision by the franchise. They decided to spend every resource available to fill holes on defense while neglecting the other areas of the team. One of the defensive fills is on the downside of his career and is going to making a ton of money. They are currently trying to convert wingers to centers while there is one true center in the top 9 forwards on the team in Backstrom. Heck, they had a one of their actual centers playing 4th line RW tonight in Latta.

It's going to be real interesting to see where they slot Wilson on the team. Is MoJo on his way out? It's good to see Kuznetsov get a few more minutes but if Trotz does move him up later, what line will it be to? Is Laich eventually headed to the 4th line C cause they are playing Burakovsky at the 2C currently?

Injuries are likely to happen and to have zero center depth is my biggest concern of the season. We saw what a mess it was last season when Beagle was having to play on the first or second line.

I know I'm kind of all over the place, but Ted Leonsis made me very cynical when he promised freshed eyes and promoted within.

This board, including Sticksboi usually blows up around January about the Caps.  I suggest we all do the same.  You don't judge a hockey team after 2 games (or our 1st loss which some did).  In January we will know where we stand.

Aside from last year there has been no reason to blow up.  I don't need more games to realize this team actually has a competent system and actually has NHL-caliber coaching.  Nobody is saying we will make a deep playoff run but clearly this is better than Adam the Clown.

What kinda bizarro world are we living in when Mike Green dumps Milan Lucic on his ass twice and the last time Lucic skates across the ice to take a cross checking minor and a 10 min misconduct?

We out-physicaled the Bruins in Boston. And Boston took it. They had no cause to fight. And we still don't have our most physical player on the ice.

I love playing heavy, and doing so within the rules.

Archived