Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014-2015 Washington Capitals Thread - Caps Trade for TJ OSHIE. Kuzy re-ups!

DC9

I just moved up this coming season. There's a new team that just formed called White Whale. Who won last season and what teams do I need to look out for.

I need some inside info for the coming season. I play center, so any tips you could give would be appreciated.

I was with the Northstars. Something really interesting about that team is that there's no one player to look out for on that team; no ringers, no weak links. We had zero players in the top ten in goals or points. So many other teams I've played on, you try to hold down the fort and look for certain guys to make plays, but they were just a team of solid team-players. Our goaltender (and substitute) had the highest save percentage, but the team also allowed the fewest shots per game, resulting in the fewest goals against by a pretty wide margin. Now they do have a new goalie this season, so maybe the save percentage won't be as high, but it's still the team to allow the fewest shots against.

The team I'd say to look out for is the Leafs. First off, they're managed by Rich Fairbank, founder of Capital One and minority share holder Monumental Sports (investment group that owns the Capitals). They practice a lot together, so they play a great team game; they had me a couple times in my defensive zone where I wasn't quite sure who to cover. According to my Stars teammates, they hadn't beaten the Leafs in years (until we offed them in the semi-finals in a 4-3 nailbiter; I had the winner :)).

Also look out for the Canucks. We may have destroyed them in the championship, but they've got some good players. Problem for them is, though, is that they're more of a ringer-based team that depends on a few guys to put up the points, and when those guys aren't available or maybe are getting blanketed defensively, they can be beaten.

I was with the Northstars. Something really interesting about that team is that there's no one player to look out for on that team; no ringers, no weak links. We had zero players in the top ten in goals or points. So many other teams I've played on, you try to hold down the fort and look for certain guys to make plays, but they were just a team of solid team-players. Our goaltender (and substitute) had the highest save percentage, but the team also allowed the fewest shots per game, resulting in the fewest goals against by a pretty wide margin. Now they do have a new goalie this season, so maybe the save percentage won't be as high, but it's still the team to allow the fewest shots against.The team I'd say to look out for is the Leafs. First off, they're managed by Rich Fairbank, founder of Capital One and minority share holder Monumental Sports (investment group that owns the Capitals). They practice a lot together, so they play a great team game; they had me a couple times in my defensive zone where I wasn't quite sure who to cover. According to my Stars teammates, they hadn't beaten the Leafs in years (until we offed them in the semi-finals in a 4-3 nailbiter; I had the winner :)).Also look out for the Canucks. We may have destroyed them in the championship, but they've got some good players. Problem for them is, though, is that they're more of a ringer-based team that depends on a few guys to put up the points, and when those guys aren't available or maybe are getting blanketed defensively, they can be beaten.

I've played against the Leafs many times. They have a D2 team and a D team at Reston. They like to cycle the puck a lot, get guys chasing them behind the net to open up the slot. I'm familiar with Fairbank and his more skilled brother (I think it's his brother). They're always a fun team to play against. No funny stuff, no cheap stuff.

We are playing the Canucks tomorrow in fact. I think I've played against them when they were a lower level team. Could be wrong though.

It's entirely possible that our team's ringer is our goalie. He's played as high as B before. He hasn't played goal in a while though, been skating out. Hopefully the rest of us can score some goals. At D2 I had modest stats, I think I put up somewhere between 12-15 points. Most of those being assists (probably 8-10, primaries). I'm more of a playmaker than I am a goal scorer (which I am perfectly happy with as a center). I'm much more concerned with improving my stick handling than my shooting. Hope I'm not in over my head. I doubt it, Reston D is pretty good which I'm decent at.

I've played against the Leafs many times. They have a D2 team and a D team at Reston. They like to cycle the puck a lot, get guys chasing them behind the net to open up the slot. I'm familiar with Fairbank and his more skilled brother (I think it's his brother). They're always a fun team to play against. No funny stuff, no cheap stuff.

Yeah, I figured you probably played against him before, as he's got a few teams in the area. Its always interesting playing against a team that's so well organized.

It's entirely possible that our team's ringer is our goalie. He's played as high as B before. He hasn't played goal in a while though, been skating out. Hopefully the rest of us can score some goals. At D2 I had modest stats, I think I put up somewhere between 12-15 points. Most of those being assists (probably 8-10, primaries). I'm more of a playmaker than I am a goal scorer (which I am perfectly happy with as a center). I'm much more concerned with improving my stick handling than my shooting. Hope I'm not in over my head. I doubt it, Reston D is pretty good which I'm decent at.

I don't think you'll be in over your head as in individual; the question will be whether there's enough overall talent on the team to contend. And if, as a center, you can trust your wingers, that will go a long way, I think. One of the things I loved about playing with the Stars was that I didn't have to worry about who I was playing with, I just trusted them to be able to make the play if they're in position and I can get them the puck.

Yeah, I figured you probably played against him before, as he's got a few teams in the area. Its always interesting playing against a team that's so well organized.I don't think you'll be in over your head as in individual; the question will be whether there's enough overall talent on the team to contend. And if, as a center, you can trust your wingers, that will go a long way, I think. One of the things I loved about playing with the Stars was that I didn't have to worry about who I was playing with, I just trusted them to be able to make the play if they're in position and I can get them the puck.

I'm moving up with a guy I've been playing right wing with for several seasons now. We have a pretty strong rapport and most of my assists go to him. Hoping we can keep that dynamic on this new team. I guess it all depends on the other guys around us. I know several of the people on the team already, others are from the Whalers in D2 who won the league last winter.

I'm moving up with a guy I've been playing right wing with for several seasons now. We have a pretty strong rapport and most of my assists go to him. Hoping we can keep that dynamic on this new team. I guess it all depends on the other guys around us. I know several of the people on the team already, others are from the Whalers in D2 who won the league last winter.

There is something to be said for chemistry. There was one guy I played with in Reston that for some reason, we just worked better on the same line. He played center, but I took the faceoffs and we'd look for the right opportunity to move into our proper positions. There was something about the pairing where we were just always in the right place at the right time. Only had part of one season together before he had to ship off to become a Navy Seal :(.

There is something to be said for chemistry. There was one guy I played with in Reston that for some reason, we just worked better on the same line. He played center, but I took the faceoffs and we'd look for the right opportunity to move into our proper positions. There was something about the pairing where we were just always in the right place at the right time. Only had part of one season together before he had to ship off to become a Navy Seal :(.

Yeah, when you play with the same person all the time you get into a flow. Know when one will be at the crease, when one will break left or right. It just works.

I've seen so many players leave for jobs, military, etc. this area is just too damn transient.

Hey guys,

How does the level of competition compare between the rinks in the area and how's the goaltender availability/need?  I'll likely be moving back down to VA in December and looking for a team.  Odds are good that we'll be in the Fairfax area, but that could change.  

I'm just hoping I don't have to skip out on playing for most of the winter.

I've seen so many players leave for jobs, military, etc. this area is just too damn transient.

Join us.  We have a ****in league down here at Fort Bragg, NC.  It's also the only ice rink in the area.  I honestly think the next closest ice rink is where the Hurricanes practice and then their arena. :lol:

We also have a free outdoor rink with nets.  I play on it during my lunch breaks from time to time and now that it's getting cooler I'll get out more.

I was with the Northstars. Something really interesting about that team is that there's no one player to look out for on that team; no ringers, no weak links. We had zero players in the top ten in goals or points. So many other teams I've played on, you try to hold down the fort and look for certain guys to make plays, but they were just a team of solid team-players. Our goaltender (and substitute) had the highest save percentage, but the team also allowed the fewest shots per game, resulting in the fewest goals against by a pretty wide margin. Now they do have a new goalie this season, so maybe the save percentage won't be as high, but it's still the team to allow the fewest shots against.The team I'd say to look out for is the Leafs. First off, they're managed by Rich Fairbank, founder of Capital One and minority share holder Monumental Sports (investment group that owns the Capitals). They practice a lot together, so they play a great team game; they had me a couple times in my defensive zone where I wasn't quite sure who to cover. According to my Stars teammates, they hadn't beaten the Leafs in years (until we offed them in the semi-finals in a 4-3 nailbiter; I had the winner :)).Also look out for the Canucks. We may have destroyed them in the championship, but they've got some good players. Problem for them is, though, is that they're more of a ringer-based team that depends on a few guys to put up the points, and when those guys aren't available or maybe are getting blanketed defensively, they can be beaten.

We lost to the Canucks 5-2. Had an assist on our second goal. We were with them until the middle of the third.

I liked the pace of D1. Much faster than D2 but in a good way. The game flowed a lot better and something that was better for me. The Canucks had 3 ringers, we only had 1. That was pretty much the difference.

Hey guys,

How does the level of competition compare between the rinks in the area and how's the goaltender availability/need?  I'll likely be moving back down to VA in December and looking for a team.  Odds are good that we'll be in the Fairfax area, but that could change.  

Tons of different leagues in NoVa/SoMD and DC.

I have a buddy who is up there who played goalie at Villanova, but he is more of a beer leaguer.  I also have one of my old bosses from the Ranger Regiment who lives in DC now and he's in a more competitive league, like he played juniors and one year of college with Mike Knuble.  But he's also in his 40's now.

But any league you are looking for I'm sure you'll find it.

Hey guys,

I can only speak about Reston and Fairfax.

Most teams seem to be pretty set at goalie from what I've seen. Ask around, the guys who run the leagues can usually tell you if there are any teams looking.

Reston has a scrimmage league (ranging in skill level) that happens Wednesday and Sunday nights. They are always short on goalies and goalies play free (they used to pay them). Check the schedule at skatequest.com.

Fairfax has pick up in the mornings twice a week (Tuesday and Friday) I think. Fairfaxicearena.com should have their schedule.

If you're coming in 2-3 months into the season it might be hard to get on a team immediately.

Wow, I wish they had all these leagues (maybe they did but weren't popular) when I was a kid and teenager.  I would have loved to played. My friends used to go up to our middle school and meet up with other kids and play street hockey on a single fenced in tennis court.  We had roller skates (yes, I'm old and there were no rollerblades back then) and would play all day.

I'm not the bragging type as I was good in sports and could play them all (football, basketball, soccer, baseball, tennis, etc), but I was one hell of a street hockey player.  I was easily one of the 3 best out on the rink.  I never learned how to ice skate, but I have been ice skating a couple of times in my life and I did  pretty good.  Not as steady at 46 now as I was at 14, but I truly think I could have been a great hockey player if there was a way to persue it back then.  If I lived up further in the north (Mass, Mich, etc), I know I would have played.

I played alot of left wing and center.  I was an OK goalie, but being fast on my skates and able to stick handle, I was one of the best players out there.  No joke, hockey was the one sport that I excelled at. I curved my stick (plastic) and wore it way down to where it was alot thinner than the other guys sticks.  I just felt l better with a thinner blade. I could control it better.  I was a good assist guy, but better scorer.  I was a goal scorer.  If I had went pro, my line might be 55 goals and 30 assists.  I was a 2-1 ratio guy, but my job was to score.

Ah, I miss being young and being able to move.

Hey guys,

Pretty much any rink in the area has leagues that'll cater to most skill levels, although some do a better job of ensuring teams are playing at the right skill level than others. If you're in Fairfax, then obviously Fairfax Ice Arena would be conveniently located, but they have some of the worst ice you can play on. Don't know how much you care about that as a goalie, but something to think about. Also, Todd loves scheduling games on holidays and the rink caters more to figure skating than hockey.

Kettler is easily the best rink in the area as it was built fairly recently for the purposes of being the Capitals' practice facility. Ashburn, Reston, and Prince William all have good ice, too, though.

So the top line seems penciled in:  8 - 19 - 16

I like it cause it's a very OFFENSIVE line, which is what a top line should be.  But I wouldn't mind seeing 42 get some shine up there.  Not upset at all that MoJo is nowhere to be seen up there.

So the top line seems penciled in:  8 - 19 - 16

I like it cause it's a very OFFENSIVE line, which is what a top line should be.  But I wouldn't mind seeing 42 get some shine up there.  Not upset at all that MoJo is nowhere to be seen up there.

I can get behind Fehr on that line. Backstrom refuses to shoot, so why not get another shooter on the line so teams can't just blanket Ovechkin and take away all the shooters? I'd rather Ward stick with whatever line Chimera is on because those two are far better together than the sum of their parts.

Right now I really hope Burakovsky goes down to Hershey to start the season and plays on a line with Wilson when he is healthy. I still don't think trying to make Burakovsky a center is a real good idea. Clearly it seems like they are doing it out of necessity. The guy simply isn't any good at face offs at this point.

In reading the Post, I can see Kuznetsov centering Ward and Chimera. They will help him succeed.

I still think the Caps are going to pay a big price for not having actual centers on this roster and a Laich-Brouwer inspires zero confidence.

I can get behind Fehr on that line. Backstrom refuses to shoot, so why not get another shooter on the line so teams can't just blanket Ovechkin and take away all the shooters? I'd rather Ward stick with whatever line Chimera is on because those two are far better together than the sum of their parts.

Umm... Fehr is the 2nd best shooter on the team.

I just think Ward cleans up better than most on the team.  I think if Ovi is taking shots, Ward has no problem getting in the crease.

EDIT:  Oh... sorry about that PP.  I thought I read "I CAN'T get behind Fehr".

My bad bro.

Right now I really hope Burakovsky goes down to Hershey to start the season and plays on a line with Wilson when he is healthy. I still don't think trying to make Burakovsky a center is a real good idea. Clearly it seems like they are doing it out of necessity. The guy simply isn't any good at face offs at this point.

In reading the Post, I can see Kuznetsov centering Ward and Chimera. They will help him succeed.

I still think the Caps are going to pay a big price for not having actual centers on this roster and a Laich-Brouwer inspires zero confidence.

I'm hoping that was just Trotz toying around.  I mean, I wasn't all that fired up about the kid when we picked him, but he plays really well for his country.  Watching the world juniors last year was a lot of fun.  Lots of Caps out there making noise.

But I agree, an eventual line of Wilson - Kuz - Burakovsky would be fantastic for this organization.  I just hope the players make it that easy for the coaches. 

Going to the game tonight. Pretty excited even though it's just preseason, I haven't been to Verizon in a couple years. Used to go like avg 2-3 x annually. 

I'm not that optimisitic for the real season. I'm sure it'll be up and down with new coaching, management & young guys who will have a larger role this season.

Even still, some of y'all are too pessimistic. I kno we're jaded by the Skins but no reason this Caps team shouldn't be at least middle of the pack. I doubt they will embarrass us like the Skins continually do. 

I'm cool with 6th, 7th or 8th seed and then see what happens in the playoffs. I feel more confident with a disciplined responsible coach like Trotz for a 7 game series than what we've had. Oates and Hunter just weren't qualified at the time they coached us.

C-A-P-S

Not sure how much better Galiev is going to get, but this was pretty sick at the AHL level.

Yeah, Galiev has some really slick moves. I remember watching him pull off a sick spin-o-rama at his first rookie camp that really caught my eye. The question is if he'll be able to translate his game to the next level.

Archived