Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Spencer Long (OG Nebraska)

PCS

Beathard used to do this all the time - take guys considered a top talent whose stock dropped because of injury.

I have a feeling this will be Tre Johnson part deux - a guy who's incredible when he's healthy, but he's never healthy..  No real rational reason - just can't escape the willies from our cursed past.

What's this? Another linemen? I thought the Skins don't draft linemen cuz Snyder likes the skill positions?

:)

Nah we didn't drafted OL in this draft as well, we drafted prospects.

Anyway,

Welcome to the Redskins Spencer! I hope you like to eat Cowboys, Giants and Eagles, because they're really tasty :)

Long has now made a numbers crunch at guard.. You'd think your 3rd rounders are gonna stick.. but who is gonna play/stay out of Long, Lerib, Lavoau, Chester, Gettis, Hurt

Hope the guy pans out, but kind of seems to be a waste of either this year's 3rd round pick or 2 years ago (Lerib)

Yep - I'm assuming we were drafting on a BPA basis based on our rankings rather than for need but it also suggests that the guys we drafted a couple of years ago like LeRib are going to have a tough time making the 53 this year.

Last time Skins FO reached for an olineman was Chad Rhinehart. Meh.

I would point out that Rhinehart has developed into a decent starting guard. Just not here in Washington. He was the starter for the Chargers last year.

He has a biological sciences major but what makes me wonder is the torn MCL.

"Played through a torn right meniscus in '12, starting all 14 games at RG.

In '13, started the first six games at RG before tearing his right MCL against Purdue and undergoing season-ending surgery and did not work out at the NFL Scouting Combine because of it (medical exclusion). Elected not to lift at the combine because of an appendectomy"

I don't kno about this pick. I don't know his size either, but if they were serious about size at guard they should have taken Gabe jackson. All that aside, I hope he succeeds. Welcome to the Skins.

You want someone bigger than 6'4" 320?

At this point (before we get to see these guys actually play amongst other NFL talent) All of these picks are merely "potential". That being said, I think they could have gotten both Nebraska players at least a round later. Then again, I wanted the Redskins to pick Moses with their 2nd rounder

Verklempt - me too.  Another nice pick.  I'm overjoyed and all choked up over how well we're doing in this draft.  It's great having real football people making our picks.

Hail!

How do we know it is a nice pick? Question when was the last time a consensus reach has panned out well for the Redskins? And by that I mean a player drafted in the first three rounds (After 4 it really is a crap shoot)who most thought we could get with our next pick or later and he played better than the players all the fans or prognosticators were pining for. I can't remember even one instance with a Redskin reach where that has occurred. I hope our two reaches work out but if they do it will be first time since probably the 1980s that that happened.

Fortunately there haven't been many obvious reaches - Josh LeRibius and Ladell Betts are the only two that come to mind recently.

I don't think this pick is as big of a reach as some think. Even those draft gurus that knock the pick seem to admit Long was rated pretty high pre-injury. The rankings for him are all over the place, but there's a good amount of people that saw him as a 3rd rounder or at least a potential 3rd rounder pre-injury (and since his injury was not super serious, I don't think you should knock him too much for it). Josh LeRibeus seemed to be a much more universal reach.

Only time will tell if the pick was worth it.

Last time Skins FO reached for an olineman was Chad Rhinehart. Meh.

You forgetting LeRibius? Additionally, Rhinehart was 4th rounder and not really a reach as he was projected as a 3rd-4th rounder and was uninjured.

I hope he works out because we could have had him in the 4th round easily. We passed on some really outstanding players to pick an injured player. Plus there were other higher rated guards still left on the board. I understand what they are doing. They are picking players with a nasty streak. That is good it was needed on this team. Anyways, welcome to the Skins Mr. Long.

Looks like we're targeting some very smart, good character football players:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3662502&

Long earned first-team CoSIDA Academic All-America honors to help continue the Huskers’ tradition of academic success. He was joined on the academic All-America team by his brother, Jake, a second-team honoree. The Long brothers became the third set of brothers in Nebraska history to both earn academic All-America awards, and the first to do so in the same season.

Long was also one of 16 football student-athletes to earn the prestigious National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Awards, presented in New York City in early December. The award carried an $18,000 postgraduate scholarship, which Long intends to put toward medical school.

Long, Morgan, and Murphy are all smart, high character picks.

Spencer Long is so injury prone.

We could have gotten Gabe Jackson. 4 year starter at Miss ST, didn't give up a sack in the past two years in the SEC. Moses and Jackson were two 2nd round talents that could have been had in the 3rd. Spencer Long would have been there in the 4th I bet....

At least we bolstered our O-Line...

He had 1 injury and is fully recovered. He also fits our scheme perfectly. Gabe Jackson is the opposite of what we need and is a horrendous run blocker despite his size.

Archived