Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Spencer Long (OG Nebraska)

PCS

The thing is; teams were not following Long because of the injury in which he could not perform at the combine, the Skins were 1 of a few who were at his pro day, so you would have to figure he would have been available later, is that a guarantee? Nothing is for certain, but in all likelihood yes.

I don't go too much by pro day attendance because teams are always throwing curveballs at that time of year. Without knowing the teams draft boards, all I can do is look at a number of scouts and see where he's ranked on their boards. Some scouts had him ranked as early as a second rounder (after the injury). Some had him as a 7th / UDFA. Clearly the latter represents the scouts that dismissed him from their rankings because of the injury. But I don't think I've read any scouting reports that question his ability, only concerns about the injury. It doesn't matter if there was only one other team (which the rumor is that the Eagles were going to draft him early), but that means that he was likely to be gone in the third round or so.

Remember that guy Xavier Nixon? People were so high on him because he was ranked as a second round OT, but we got him in UDFA. Was he a steal then? Well he didn't make the team. He bounced around a few practice squads before laying one game last year. People put too much stock into these pre-draft rankings.

Or, your just trying to overcomplicate something that is fairly simple?

Not overcomplicating anything...in fact, I'm agreeing with you that your assessment was rather fairly simple (or shall I say simplistic), and that I had hoped something with more meat was behind your conclusion about Long "realistically" still being on the draft board past the 3rd round for the Skins to pick up later.

I don't go too much by pro day attendance because teams are always throwing curveballs at that time of year. Without knowing the teams draft boards, all I can do is look at a number of scouts and see where he's ranked on their boards. Some scouts had him ranked as early as a second rounder (after the injury). Some had him as a 7th / UDFA. Clearly the latter represents the scouts that dismissed him from their rankings because of the injury. But I don't think I've read any scouting reports that question his ability, only concerns about the injury. It doesn't matter if there was only one other team (which the rumor is that the Eagles were going to draft him early), but that means that he was likely to be gone in the third round or so.

Remember that guy Xavier Nixon? People were so high on him because he was ranked as a second round OT, but we got him in UDFA. Was he a steal then? Well he didn't make the team. He bounced around a few practice squads before laying one game last year. People put too much stock into these pre-draft rankings.

Just to add to your post:

One Eagles' beatwriter said the Eagles realize their O-Line has too many players on the wrong side of 30 and will probably look to the later rounds to find possible replacements starting next year when they may lose both of their OGs. When it was closer to the draft, though, he changed it to say the Eagles may take an O-Lineman in the higher rounds, and mentioned Spencer Long and Trai Turner as ones that the Eagles may end up picking as high as the 3rd round. Other writers mentioned similar things about Long, mentioning that he's a "high character" guy and that Kelly targets high character guys in the draft, as well as that Long's injury wasn't as serious as some believe. I know Long visited with about 8 teams just prior to the draft, but I only pay attention to NFC East teams lol...so I have no idea if the same was being said about the Dolphins or Chargers, etc.

As you mentioned, the injury would be the only thing that made some scouting reports drop Long completely from the draft. If there is/was nothing from his injury or recovery keeping him from picking up where he left off, then we shouldn't be surprised that he still got drafted in round 3-4.

Edit: here's a blurb from one of the articles I remember reading:

The (Eagles') right guard, Todd Herremans, had an up-and-down season last year, and at 31-years old, is one of the oldest players on the team. The team's left guard, Evan Mathis, is a Pro Bowl player -- but with his desire for a new contract, the Eagles could decide to let him go get his big money elsewhere. That leaves the Eagles needing potentially two new starting guards by next season -- an issue clearly worth addressing.

Who are some potential candidates?

So far, the Eagles have reportedly shown interest in the following offensive lineman:

Trey Hopkins, Texas (visit)

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Canada (Private workout)

Trai Turner, LSU (Interview at combine)

Marcus Martin, USC (visit)

Spencer Long, Nebraska (visit)

On that list, both Long and Turner have the potential to go as early as the third round -- and are also both offensive guards.

[...]Long's chart is a little less informative, but it does highlight that he is one of the biggest guards in the draft.

If the Eagles do end up addressing the offensive line in the early rounds, look for them to go with a big-body that they can sit for a year and have develop with offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland.

Yea, it just seems that when you see talented players coming off serious injuries in college, 5th rd is about right to start taking chances, and considering we picked very early in the 5th, I probably would have rolled the dice on that one.

But...if you get real value in the 5th and 6th I guess that kind of makes up for perceived lack of value [iMO] in the 3rd, so long as you get your guy. Hey Gates I think was a head scratcher to many of us, but who knows; I really am encouraged by what we have heard coming out of this past weekends camp! I am just more pessimistic at this point when I see Danny boy lurking about in the draft process...in other words; until I see other wise, I am not willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but will root for success! :)

Just to add to your post:

One Eagles' beatwriter said the Eagles realize their O-Line has too many players on the wrong side of 30 and will probably look to the later rounds to find possible replacements starting next year when they may lose both of their OGs. When it was closer to the draft, though, he changed it to say the Eagles may take an O-Lineman in the higher rounds, and mentioned Spencer Long and Trai Turner as ones that the Eagles may end up picking as high as the 3rd round. Other writers mentioned similar things about Long, mentioning that he's a "high character" guy and that Kelly targets high character guys in the draft, as well as that Long's injury wasn't as serious as some believe. I know Long visited with about 8 teams just prior to the draft, but I only pay attention to NFC East teams lol...so I have no idea if the same was being said about the Dolphins or Chargers, etc.

As you mentioned, the injury would be the only thing that made some scouting reports drop Long completely from the draft. If there is/was nothing from his injury or recovery keeping him from picking up where he left off, then we shouldn't be surprised that he still got drafted in round 3-4.

Edit: here's a blurb from one of the articles I remember reading:

One thing I will say about the draft process is this; many of us see the talent, but what we don't see is the character, we don't see the ultimate dummy in which teams from doing back ground checks evaluate as being really undraftable, yes we see, and hear the usual stuff which is obvious, but we really don't get the inside scoop so to say. So, drafting does take a right turn when you factor those things in, "if" your the type of organization that puts high priority on character...Which I believe in, and IMO is a huge factor when drafting!

LeRibeus from what I remember, had a couple of teams planning on drafting him in the same rd not far behind us. And who knows, he just might have finally matured to the point that he finally takes his job seriously, and can justify his pick. All accounts are...that he's working extremely hard to be ready for this season, we shall see...

I think the fact that the FO brought in another center, moved a G to center, signed a free agent G, and drafted another G speaks volumes about their faith in mcrib.. personally I don't think he makes it out of camp. I wish he would step up and claim a spot, but looking at what the team is doing speaks otherwise.

I think the fact that the FO brought in another center, moved a G to center, signed a free agent G, and drafted another G speaks volumes about their faith in mcrib.. personally I don't think he makes it out of camp. I wish he would step up and claim a spot, but looking at what the team is doing speaks otherwise.

While you may be accurate.....the new HC had to make decisions based on past performance, as when we made most of our FA acquisitions we had yet to hold anytype of camp.  From what I have read, Ribeye may have finally gotten it, and is at least trying to make sure that he is in shape for TC.......time will tell, but I am holding out hope that at least one of the Olinemen that Shanny drafted will pan out to something more than another cut somewhere during TC. 

Archived