Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Spencer Long (OG Nebraska)

PCS

Can he play C?  We do not have a quality C on the team and I'm counting McGlynn.  Lich? No way he's bulking up enough to play C under Gruden.

I've seen a couple of references from John Keim that he has talked to scouts from other teams that think Long projects very well as a centre and is a very solid pick with that in mind.

Fortunately there haven't been many obvious reaches - Josh LeRibius and Ladell Betts are the only two that come to mind recently.

Those two don't belong in the same sentence.  Ladell Betts was a productive starter for the Skins.  LeRib may never play a snap in a regular season game.

Those two don't belong in the same sentence.  Ladell Betts was a productive starter for the Skins.  LeRib may never play a snap in a regular season game.

Betts may have been a productive starter (1,139 IIRC) but he was a reach as a 2nd round pick.  I had never heard of him before the Skins took him.  He would have gone in the 2nd regardless?  Hasn't LeRib played a few regular season snaps?

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/long-walk-nfl

“I like to think I’m a pretty well rounded player,” he said. “I can get out it space, get up to the second level. I think I’m pretty fast for an O-lineman.”

“I’ve played all three interior [line positions], my most experience is at right guard but I have played a little bit of center.

Which does he prefer?

“I like guard a little better; I’d rather just not have a ball in my hand,” he said. “But I like the mental game of center, making the calls, that’s pretty fun.”

I kinda laugh at all the talk about over valuing a guy. This is a guy who was very high before his injury, and who some of the "draft experts" dropped because of his injury. How many teams dropped him though?

And the talk of other guards is cool, but I'm guessing that there's something we like in Long that's not in guys like G. Jackson.

I look at the fact that he was ranked in most draft boards as a mid round guy, which is where we got him. The fact that he's ready to go this weekend makes me think that many teams didn't drop him too far off their boards because he's fully recovered.

Just my .02

Good post TS...JLC holds little to no credibility around here but he was reporting prior to the draft that some teams had Long slated as a second rounder. Fact is the pick is in and he's a third rounder. That's where we took him. His value won't be determined until we see what he does in the pro's. Gruden and co are making the right noises about him which bodes well IMO.

Gruden made pains to mention this guy in his minicamp review.  He was critical of a lot of guys, but seemed to be praising Long.  Good sign most likely or a sign he needs to be built up.  I suspect it's the former.  From what I read he did a good job, but was beaten by speed once or twice.

We could use a guy who can win 3rd and short battles.

I am quietly hoping that Long pushes for and takes the starting C job, and that one of Foersters projects from last year finally emerges at G. LOL at Long that all things equal, would rather not have the ball in his hands. I can understand that. He otherwise seems to embrace responsibilities of being a C and I am skeptical that Lichtensteiger having presume added a bunch of weight, will not be as effective a player as he was last year in his new body. If he is I wonder why he did not bulk up long ago like his peers. I think its imperative to have a push from our C so that we can run QB sneaks this year.  

I am glad to have Long on board. We have had almost no push inside for far too long and its high time it be addressed. 

I don't think this pick is as big of a reach as some think. Even those draft gurus that knock the pick seem to admit Long was rated pretty high pre-injury. The rankings for him are all over the place, but there's a good amount of people that saw him as a 3rd rounder or at least a potential 3rd rounder pre-injury (and since his injury was not super serious, I don't think you should knock him too much for it). Josh LeRibeus seemed to be a much more universal reach.

Only time will tell if the pick was worth it.

We picked a G who was rated a 3rd rd talent before he blew his knee out, in the 3rd rd??? Where's the value in that? We took a risk when you factor in the knee, for a player who in all likelihood would have been available without an injured knee...doesn't seem like a smart job on our part? Especially with the guards that were available, without injury concerns.

LeRibeus from what I remember, had a couple of teams planning on drafting him in the same rd not far behind us. And who knows, he just might have finally matured to the point that he finally takes his job seriously, and can justify his pick. All accounts are...that he's working extremely hard to be ready for this season, we shall see...

We picked a G who was rated a 3rd rd talent before he blew his knee out, in the 3rd rd??? Where's the value in

The value is that we deemed that the injury was not serious and this shouldn't affect his draft position. So he was ranked as a third rounder, and we got him in the third round. Notice, he's not missing minicamp right now, so its not hurting us. All it did is cause him to not participate in a lot of the drills of the combine. So if you're a team or a draft analyzer that goes off those measurables in shorts, then yeah you drop him for that. But when you actually read the scouting reports and see that just about every one of them declares him as a legit starter on the next level, its easy to believe that the teams and scouts - who are generally following players for a much longer time than just in the period post super bowl - probably didn't drop him.

Its cool to compare this pick to the LeRib pick, but a few things we know about Shanahan in general

- he generally likes these linemen that nobody wants (Lich and Polumbus, for example)

- our scouts / scouting department had a problem finding him linemen in general from college. I think the only one who's seen significant time is Trent Williams. And that was a toss up between him and Okung.

- Shanny has a dog house that's pretty hard to get out of. Last year was a prime time to put in LeRib over Chester, particularly when Tuck just embarrased him, but Shanny just stayed with his way. We've seen this with other players before and it was one of my pet peeves with Shanny.

But all that said, you can look at the draft reports for him (Leribeus) and they were all over the place as well. So this means that some teams valued him high and some didn't. I think he's more of a case of our scouts thinking they'd found a good guard, and Shanny saying that he's not "my type" of a guard. We'll see though in the upcoming months to years just how good both these picks were though.

But all that said, you can look at the draft reports for him (Leribeus) and they were all over the place as well. So this means that some teams valued him high and some didn't. I think he's more of a case of our scouts thinking they'd found a good guard, and Shanny saying that he's not "my type" of a guard. We'll see though in the upcoming months to years just how good both these picks were though.

Plus, the Eagles' beat reporters were saying that Philly's interest in drafting Long was legitimate and real...he may not have gotten past them in the 3rd round.

The value is that we deemed that the injury was not serious and this shouldn't affect his draft position. So he was ranked as a third rounder, and we got him in the third round. Notice, he's not missing minicamp right now, so its not hurting us. All it did is cause him to not participate in a lot of the drills of the combine. So if you're a team or a draft analyzer that goes off those measurables in shorts, then yeah you drop him for that. But when you actually read the scouting reports and see that just about every one of them declares him as a legit starter on the next level, its easy to believe that the teams and scouts - who are generally following players for a much longer time than just in the period post super bowl - probably didn't drop him.

Its cool to compare this pick to the LeRib pick, but a few things we know about Shanahan in general

- he generally likes these linemen that nobody wants (Lich and Polumbus, for example)

- our scouts / scouting department had a problem finding him linemen in general from college. I think the only one who's seen significant time is Trent Williams. And that was a toss up between him and Okung.

- Shanny has a dog house that's pretty hard to get out of. Last year was a prime time to put in LeRib over Chester, particularly when Tuck just embarrased him, but Shanny just stayed with his way. We've seen this with other players before and it was one of my pet peeves with Shanny.

The thing is; teams were not following Long because of the injury in which he could not perform at the combine, the Skins were 1 of a few who were at his pro day, so you would have to figure he would have been available later, is that a guarantee? Nothing is for certain, but in all likelihood yes.

As far as our personnel dept. under MS? I would say our personnel dept. prior to MS did nothing for our O-line...Who knows right now it could turn out well, if Long goes to center, I like the pick a lot more, my feeling is our center position has been at the heart of our O-line problems forever, undersized centers being pushed back into the backfield constantly, which is why I really wanted M. Martin in the 3rd. but Long will due, just so leery of players with knee surgeries.

If that is true about LeRibeus and MS? We will find out pretty soon under Gruden.

When deciding how much credit to give to your post, I will take into account the fact that LeRibeus has already started an NFL game.

Archived