Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pros and Cons of Signing Terrell Pryor

FunBunch7

I'll pass on Pryor and I'm sure we will too.  ESPN or NFL network would love it. I can just see the headlines "Redskins sign Pryor, QB issues in Washington?"  I like what I see at times with him from watching Oakland and having him on Fantasy but he is better suited for a team who has no idea who there starting QB is going to be.

yeah, because it's never happened before.

oh, except to the 49ers 2 years ago. They did exactly what you just said never would happen when their starter went down, except they only got to the Super Bowl instead of winning it.

So I guess you're right.

It makes no difference.

Except to  us the last two times we made the playoffs..  down both of those stretch runs we had backup QBs start and win games for us while starters nursed injuries.

:D

Backup QB is a critical position. Studies conducted by little people in lab coats show that hardly any QB will take every snap, and most will miss at least a game. 

Now, you could have a point about a starter going down for the season and it not being LIKELY, to which I'd agree.. the 49ers Smith did not go down for the season, but he went down long enough for Kaep to take his job (Something others will says DEFINITELY should not happen).

But the fact is that one or two games the starter has a concussion or whatever could make or break the season. You should try and find one who is capable.

~Bang

Yes, because Pryor and Kaepernick are on the same level in terms of talent.

Oh and our roster isn't as talented as the 49ers

Yes, because Pryor and Kaepernick are on the same level in terms of talent.

Oh and our roster isn't as talented as the 49ers

Is this what i said?

Is that what he said? he said TEAMS that have their starter go down  blah blah blah.

Also, up above, you'd note that the only positive i can find for us bringing in Pryor is he will apparently work for tattoos.

A dumb post, but a spiffy sig.

~Bang

Is this what i said?

Is that what he said? he said TEAMS that have their starter go down  blah blah blah.

Also, up above, you'd note that the only positive i can find for us bringing in Pryor is he will apparently work for tattoos.

A dumb post, but a spiffy sig.

~Bang

That was a rare, special circumstance in which the back-up QB was better than the starter

For it to work (like your post was implying) Pryor would have to be better than Griffin

You're an idiot lol

That was a rare, special circumstance in which the back-up QB was better than the starter

For it to work (like your post was implying) Pryor would have to be better than Griffin

You're an idiot lol

I'm thinking too much chocolate bunny today.

Literally inches up on your screen is my first post in which I use the word "useless" to describe Pryor's value to the Redskins.

I'm not implying it working here. Pryor won't work here at all no matter what. The only way you'd think i was implying that is if you failed to read my first post, directly above it. I mean DIRECTLY above it. 

~Bang

Personally, I think he's a rich man's Pat White.  :)

Whether you are poor or rich.  he's still about equivalent to Pat White  Except being a couple of years younger, I think Pat was actually a more polished passer coming out of College then Pryor, but it didn't seem that way in preseason last year.

Let us not forget Tom Brady (Drew Bledsoe).

I didn't remember if Brady went to the super bowl the same year.  But really, pryor as Tom Brady?  I don't see it.

I am with the people in the hell no category. Pryor is garbage at real life X's and O's football. Not too shabby in Fantasy though but who cares. One dimensional football is easy to defense. Sure he had some long runs this year but he is not a student of the game, he is a guy that cant get past relying on his freaky athleticism. RG3 has better turds in his toilet than Pryor. So does Kirk for that matter.

Pryor is what is commonly known as fools good.  He is an elite athlete with a strong arm, so he will be able to pull off a spectacular play or two during the course of a football game, but if a defense can avoid those 2-3 occurrences, Pryor has nothing left to offer.

It's amazing to me how much extra attention or "chances" a QB can buy himself by showing athleticism on the field.  Listening to local radio out here, a lot of Raider's fan can't see the forest through the trees ever since that 80+ yard TD run Pryor had last season.  In their minds, everything else a QB should be able to do, should be allowed to come later.

That is often how it goes when bad teams draft  young athletic QB.  Their athleticism is enough to fool people for awhile.

And top of that they start comparing their guy to someone like Robert, just because he also had a long TD run in his rookie year.  They ignore how good his passing was as a rookie and just see that both guys had long runs for TD's and even though the comparison ends there, they are still seduced into thinking any QB that exhibits some athleticism, is destined for greatness.

Let me guess. Big Ohio State Buckeyes fan?  :wacko:

You lost me at Poor Man's.

Do you guys realize that we will not be running the Read Option as a primary play in our offense anymore?  We'll run it sparingly this year. Why would we need a running QB who can't throw worth a hill of beans?  Pryor was mediocre at passing in college and he's hasn't improved in the pros.

I want my QB to be able to pass first. That is what Griffin will be doing this year and he will only run if flushed from the pocket with very little RO as is my understanding from press clips and what some of our members who are in the know.

I didn't remember if Brady went to the super bowl the same year.  But really, pryor as Tom Brady?  I don't see it.

Oh, no.  Not at all what I was saying.  I was pointing out a backup that came in for an injured started and performed well that you didn't have on your list.  I want nothing to do with Pryor; I would much rather keep Cousins.

RG3/Pryor/McCoy would be a pretty solid set of QBs if we trade Cousins. I actually think I'd activate Pryor and use him pretty frequently as a WR/offensive weapon. The trick play potential is incredible. By the way, he's 6'6" and runs a sub 4.4. We definitely could find ways to use him. 

Pros:

1. Similar physical skillset than RG3

2. Two of his three biggest negatives are potentially coachable (mechanics, decision making), and may help improve the third (accuracy)

3. Still unde 25 years old

4. Less injury history than Colt McCoy

5. Could potentially be a legit #2 allowing for a potential Kirk Cousins trade in the next two years

Cons:

1. Has some major question marks regarding mechanics, decision making, and accuracy

2. Has a desire to be a starter, may not be a good attitude for a clear backup or especially #3 guy

3. Contract would be shorter, and more expensive, then a later round rookie devleopmental project

Read option Pass with TP from the Shotgun would be dangerous. Other than using him for gimmick plays though I don't see why we should sign him. Again, if Griffin goes down we are screwed as we saw last year when he played average and then Cousins came in (Although Cousins did come into an impossible situation).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10819210/oakland-raiders-trade-terrelle-pryor-seattle-seahawks

Hmmm... the Seahawks, with a running QB, go off and get Pryor to back up Wilson... now they have a similar #2 to their #1 AND they can use him as a scout QB for the likes of the 49ers, Redskins, Panthers...

Dang it!  They must have read my OP!

Oh well, does Danny have Rex Grossman on speed dial? lol

Archived