Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

On 11/1/2016 at 11:26 AM, Metalhead said:

Does anyone have Dish? I'm thinking about getting it but I wanted to confirm the regional sports channels. Does the "120+" package include Comcast for Wizards games?

I don't have dish but I do have Direct TV and with that, depending where you live (your market) will dictate what local sports you get.  For Direct TV, I actually changed our programming package (we had the highest tier) to a few tiers down and it no longer included the regional sports package.  I was going to add it back and the rep told me that I didn't need it to watch the local pro teams listed for my market (Hornets, Hurricanes, Braves, Nats, Orioles and Reds - in Charlotte).

That the regional sports package included more local/regional college basketball and football games.  So I'd ask them about that, if you live in the DC area.  What teams are considered your local market.  I would like to think it is set up similar with other options (dish, comcast, etc.).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thinking about getting back on the cable TV thing.  

(Right now, I'm paying around $100/mo for landline phone, and DSL internet.  Looks like for that money, I can get cable, internet, and phone, at least for the first two years.)  

Question:  Is there a DVR option other than paying Cox to rent one?  (Yeah, I see that I can go TiVo, but with them, I have to pay up front for the box, AND pay a monthly fee, to use the box that I bought, AND pay for a Cable Card from Cox..)  

Anything like what VCRs used to be?  You buy the box, hook it up, and it's yours?  No monthly fee, no spyware telling some company which shows I watch?  

Thinking about ditching cable.  The only thing that's keeping me on is the ability to watch Orioles games.

I'm sure it's been explained in this thread, but how does MLB TV work?  I'm in the coverage area for the station (Living in Arlington, watching on MASN).  From what I can tell, MLB TV wouldn't work for me to watch Orioles games, right? 

Just cut the cord on Sunday.  I got the new Directv Now streaming service and it works really well so far.  Especially since it just launched and still bugs are being worked out.  For $35 a month, you get 109 channels and an Apple TV 4th Gen if you sign up for 3 months.  No brainer.

I live in Orlando so the only local channel I get on Directv Now is Fox.  However I installed a small HD antenna and it picks up 64 channels which includes NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX all in HD.  So I'm set.  My bill should ~$80/month now for internet and Directv now.  Was paying $165 for cable and internet.

Edited by I_Bleed_B&G

• 2 weeks later...

I posted in the RTT, but this is probably a better spot for it.

Have any of you used a VStream 3 or have any information on it?  They seem too good to be true.  One of my friends has one and said they were going to watch Rogue One on it tonight.  I had never heard of it before.  Anybody here know or have information on it? 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/4/2016 at 9:22 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Thinking about ditching cable.  The only thing that's keeping me on is the ability to watch Orioles games.

I'm sure it's been explained in this thread, but how does MLB TV work?  I'm in the coverage area for the station (Living in Arlington, watching on MASN).  From what I can tell, MLB TV wouldn't work for me to watch Orioles games, right? 

so, i literally just (60 minutes ago) cancelled fios. my bill was about 180 per month for a triple play, 3 hd boxes, 100/100 internet. i called a month ago to preemptively cancel my promotional movie channels to save myself another 50 bucks a month. the lady offered to promo the movie package for another year (even though i told her i rarely watched movies) and lower my bill by about 13 whole dollars a month- WOOOHOOO!! a week later, i got a text saying my bill for $265 was ready.... WTF?!

i called. they said the only thing they had noted (apparently not recorded- ya right) was that i asked how much it was to cancel. as if i called the day before the promo was up by coincidence. they wouldnt budge. as if i was making this all up. 

truthfully, i was already thinking about cutting the cord, this just expedited the process. they offered me, as a parting gift, the same 100 up down internet for only $110 per month. who could say no to that? i already had a deal with comcast for 200 down, something less than that up, whatever it is, i dont really care........for almost exaclty half that price- 59.99. so, no thank you verizon. 

now i have sling TV for $40 a month (which i may cut to $25, since i dont really watch espn that much, except for MNF, which isnt on now), a few rokus and an extra $100 a month + in my pocket. cant hate that. 

as for baseball and masn 1 and 2, its the weirdest thing. when i ordered sling 2 weeks ago, what sold me was that they had NBC and Fox (for football games i care about) live, and i swear i saw they were getting masn 1 and 2, so i could watch my baseball. damned if i look at the lineup and can find any trace of masn now. **** me. must be going crazy. (i blame greedy cable companies.)

of course, you can order the MLB package for about 25 bucks a month- except that the Os and Nats are blacked out.........hoping something comes along by the spring.

oh, and **** fios. 

• Like 2

I will be cutting the cord of necessity when I move into my RV full-time. I plan on getting an HD antenna for local channels, use the cable that's usually free in RV parks. I have an Amazon Fire with Amazon Prime, have to figure out internet too. Am in touch with these RV tech mavens called Technomadia, these two check out technology for RVs. Pretty cool stuff out there. Was going to figure out a rig for working out of the RV, but am now retired, so easier and cheaper solutions are available.

Get an Amazon Fire Stick, a Leaf antenna...and you will be all set. 

All the local channels some of which I did not even expect to be there are...in HD. 

Then if you only have Prime and Netflix...you have plenty of selections. 

There are other options to add to the Fire stick which will convince you that high speed internet is all you need to watch any program that you would like. 

@CBass1724 , including Rogue One. 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2016 at 11:53 AM, Larry said:

Thinking about getting back on the cable TV thing.  

(Right now, I'm paying around $100/mo for landline phone, and DSL internet.  Looks like for that money, I can get cable, internet, and phone, at least for the first two years.)  

Question:  Is there a DVR option other than paying Cox to rent one?  (Yeah, I see that I can go TiVo, but with them, I have to pay up front for the box, AND pay a monthly fee, to use the box that I bought, AND pay for a Cable Card from Cox..)  

Anything like what VCRs used to be?  You buy the box, hook it up, and it's yours?  No monthly fee, no spyware telling some company which shows I watch?  

you can get a used tivo series 3 online for about $100.  that includes lifetime service on the box.  you would still need to pay for the cablecard however. 

59 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I just got mine T. I loaded Kodi on it and it's pretty cool. 

I have two of the old ones, went the lazy route this time and bought preloaded.

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

If you are in the DC Metro area. You will get all of the local Redskins games with a simple antenna. 

In amazing quality HD at that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TouchdownSkin said:

I'm not cutting cable until there is a reliable way to watch local sports....the Redskins.  That's all I'm waiting for.

Football's on network television.  You can get that in HD with an antenna.  It'll probably be better quality picture than cable, anyways.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2016 at 9:29 AM, I_Bleed_B&G said:

Just cut the cord on Sunday.  I got the new Directv Now streaming service and it works really well so far.  Especially since it just launched and still bugs are being worked out.  For $35 a month, you get 109 channels and an Apple TV 4th Gen if you sign up for 3 months.  No brainer.

I live in Orlando so the only local channel I get on Directv Now is Fox.  However I installed a small HD antenna and it picks up 64 channels which includes NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX all in HD.  So I'm set.  My bill should ~$80/month now for internet and Directv now.  Was paying $165 for cable and internet.

Is this for 1 tv? What was your setup for $165.  

1 minute ago, TouchdownSkin said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I live 3.5 hours outside DC.  An antenna will pick up the Redskins?

If you typically get redskins games on FOX/CBS from your cable provider, you'll get them through antenna (of course, assuming you get reception; there are websites out there that will give you an idea of what stations you should be able to pick up from your location and the kind of antenna you have).

Edited by PokerPacker

3 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

If you typically get redskins games on FOX/CBS from your cable provider, you'll get them through antenna (of course, assuming you get reception; there are websites out there that will give you an idea of what stations you should be able to pick up from your location and the kind of antenna you have).

Thank you!  I'll check it out.  Comcast is getting outrageous.

On 12/4/2016 at 9:22 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're going to be blacked out. You could try circumventing the blackout but it's not worth the trouble and I wouldn't even know how you would do that. 

17 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

If you are in the DC Metro area. You will get all of the local Redskins games with a simple antenna. 

If it's sunny. 

Countless times when I've tried to watch the Redskins and it was rainy or there was a little wind. Then you can't even watch clearly because of all the pixelation. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TouchdownSkin said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I live 3.5 hours outside DC.  An antenna will pick up the Redskins?

3.5 hours away? That could be NYC. What's the closest you are to a 'big' city? 

Assuming you want Internet anyway, see if you can get the Comcast 59.99 Internet deal, then see if sling TV offers NBC and Fox (they do depending on your area)- it's $25 a month for that plus a bunch of other channels. Add espn for another $15 if you need to, youre at $100 per month. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I'm in Bethesda and my bloody antenna doesn't pick up CBS at all.

So annoying 

It depends on your antenna. And also if you're living in an area with a bunch of apartments which interfere. 

Honestly just get a Winegard flatwave antenna. It costs like 20 dollars.