Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

I'm on Comcast right now and if we get cable it's about 30 bucks more so it's just an antenna here at the moment 

Sometimes the antenna gets spotty and right now it's supported by a shoddy slanted box which could tip over at any second. The things you have to do to manipulate the signal to get a clear reception. 

But given most of my time at home is spent on PS4 there really is no point to get cable. The problem is watching sports without cable is kind of difficult and nearly impossible. I can't be arsed to stream **** so I have largely kept my TV on the PS4 / HDMI all night. 

so, when you cut the cable cord, what does everybody use for internet, and what does it cost?

I'd assume they use their cable or telephone providers. Whatever plan they want. I'd bet that something like 25 Mbps down is more than enough depending on how many devices are Internet connected.

so, when you cut the cable cord, what does everybody use for internet, and what does it cost?

attuverse , costs the same with or without cable tv ($57 for max)....thinking about dropping the land line and going all cell

you can of course get bundles cheaper...initially anyway

I could get internet cheaper but it works well and I hate change

I do not have cable for my downstairs TV, so I figured I would start the "cut the cord" experiment down there.  I just bought Amazon Fire TV, which I love.  Downloaded Kodi and am blown away by the potential.  

In essence, for $190 (Amazon Fire TV and Prime) I instantly have 90% of cable (including premiums).  If you factor in the expanse of the Kodi add-ons, I have something that exceeds cable by miles.   The Holy Grail seems to be finding live HDTV (I already have the networks via antenna).    

I cannot understand why everyone doesn't do this.

• Like 1

I do not have cable for my downstairs TV, so I figured I would start the "cut the cord" experiment down there. I just bought Amazon Fire TV, which I love. Downloaded Kodi and am blown away by the potential.

In essence, for $190 (Amazon Fire TV and Prime) I instantly have 90% of cable (including premiums). If you factor in the expanse of the Kodi add-ons, I have something that exceeds cable by miles. The Holy Grail seems to be finding live HDTV (I already have the networks via antenna).

I cannot understand why everyone doesn't do this.

You're right that setup works if you don't like sports but if you do you can't cut the cord

• Like 1

You're right that setup works if you don't like sports but if you do you can't cut the cord

I'm curious to know if I would even be able to get the Hornets basketball games through antenna.  Right now, I get all the games, home and away through the Regional Sports package on DirectTV.  It lists the channel as Fox Sports South (646 on DTV).  

But would there be a broadcast through antenna that would allow me to view the games?  I probably could research it a little more and find the answer.  I don't want to shell out money for a good antenna until I know for sure.  Right now I get all the Hornets, Braves and Hurricanes games on that channel.

Redskins, well I have to have the NFL Ticket anyhow, but can pay for that full price through Xbox One or PS4.  Over the period of a year, I'd save so much money cutting out the majority of extra perks (pay channels, etc.) that it would more than absorb the $299 cost.

Not exactly.  There are plenty of sports options on the add-ons to Kodi.  Finding them in HD is another story.   I watched MNF the other night in spanish because it was the best feed.  And if you like soccer there are 100s of games from every league every day.  Few in HD.

I'm curious to know if I would even be able to get the Hornets basketball games through antenna.  Right now, I get all the games, home and away through the Regional Sports package on DirectTV.  It lists the channel as Fox Sports South (646 on DTV).  

But would there be a broadcast through antenna that would allow me to view the games?  I probably could research it a little more and find the answer.  I don't want to shell out money for a good antenna until I know for sure.  Right now I get all the Hornets, Braves and Hurricanes games on that channel.

Redskins, well I have to have the NFL Ticket anyhow, but can pay for that full price through Xbox One or PS4.  Over the period of a year, I'd save so much money cutting out the majority of extra perks (pay channels, etc.) that it would more than absorb the $299 cost.

You know, I'm all for getting a good deal.  But I won't sacrifice quality in the name of saving a buck. That's why I won't get rid of my satellite. When I called for NHL Center Ice, it was regular $159. 

They had an early bird special of $138.  He gave it to me for $122.  I saved $40.  And yes, I DON'T understand how to get TV though all of those gaming devices (Get off my Lawn!) and I hope I don't have to anytime soon.  It just seems like a pain from the way some have described it.  I know the younger generation knows how to do this stuff and I could probably learn, but I'm really not interested. I can afford what I pay satellite.

My ex-wife was from a different country and she got swept up in the "as seen on TV" products.  I begged her not to but stuff. I told her the reason it cost less is it's crap. I told her to go to the actual "as seen on TV" store at Concord Mills to see the producst for herself.  She was always trying to get stuff "cheap."  But I told her that what you are getting is "cheap" stuff.

I couldn't imagine trying to find the Redskins online through a streaming website and then having to watch it in German or something. If I couldn't afford NFL Sunday Ticket, I just wouldn't watch it. One thing I don't mind spending money on is TV.

I don't mind it that much, spending on TV that is, considering I have all the premium channels anyhow.  I do occasionally go through a phase where I look into cutting out some of the cost involved though.  Not really cutting the cord entirely, but cutting back on what I have.  

It's annoying as hell to me that DTV charges me $6.50 per TV, $10 for the DVRs (two of them), protection plan (so I can upgrade free every 2 years if needed and not have to haggle)........Around $60 is spent and that's before the actual programming.  

Total bill, on a normal month (not football season) is right at $200.  Now, because I have all that programming, etc.  I can always get the NFL Ticket for "free" after they apply all the eligible discounts (e.g. $7 off HBO for 6 months, $7 off Starz for 6 months, etc.).  I break even on the cost of the NFL Ticket and sometimes actually come out ahead and get more in discounts than the ticket cost.

I love my shows on HBO, Showtime, Max, Starz though.  Granted I could wait until they hit Netflix or Prime and watch them later.  It's nice to be able to watch them real time.  I'm not necessarily looking for a full cut, but more of a mix on saving and not sacrificing.  

Thing is, if I cut back the programming to a cheaper package, basically cut out all the premium channels, I save a good bit, but won't have any leverage saving on the NFL Ticket, that **** is $300 now.  

No way I could go just antenna though, complete cut of the cord.  I have 5 TVs in the house, I'd have to have at least 3 digital antennas (one for the living room, my office and bonus room), I could go without one in my bedroom or Tazette's room (she usually watches Netflix in her room anyhow).  Not to mention, I'd have to buy a DVR, etc. 

No way I could go just antenna though, complete cut of the cord.  I have 5 TVs in the house, I'd have to have at least 3 digital antennas (one for the living room, my office and bonus room), I could go without one in my bedroom or Tazette's room (she usually watches Netflix in her room anyhow).  Not to mention, I'd have to buy a DVR, etc. 

a single antenna in the attic or on the roof connected to your cable line simplifies that.

add

a  computer with a tv tuner makes a good DVR, but with all the streams I rarely bother

Edited by twa
  • Like 1

Not exactly. There are plenty of sports options on the add-ons to Kodi. Finding them in HD is another story. I watched MNF the other night in spanish because it was the best feed. And if you like soccer there are 100s of games from every league every day. Few in HD.

I haven't taken Spanish in over a decade. Lo siento.

a single antenna in the attic or on the roof connected to your cable line simplifies that.

add

a computer with a tv tuner makes a good DVR, but with all the streams I rarely bother

I might be out of luck as far as antennae are concerned at my house. I'm at the bottom of a hill. Hooked up a cheap rca multi directional one yesterday. Got zippy.

Of course, that was on the second floor of a 3 level townhouse. Might be worth it to try the attic, bur I'm not too optimistic.

One antenna fed into a Tablo DVR then distribute it to TV's via streaming boxes.

I have a four tuner Tablo, 1 TB hard drive for it, and four TV's with Android TV devices.  I get Sling for a month or so at a time for things like March Madness and the baseball playoffs.

• Like 1

I might be out of luck as far as antennae are concerned at my house. I'm at the bottom of a hill. Hooked up a cheap rca multi directional one yesterday. Got zippy.

Of course, that was on the second floor of a 3 level townhouse. Might be worth it to try the attic, bur I'm not too optimistic.

don't have issues with hills here, but elevation usually helps

there are antenna web sites ya can enter your address to find out what type of antenna is need, last one I put on a pole was for 150 miles away stations  :)

http://www.channelmaster.com/Articles.asp?ID=134&Click=47329

you can make a antenna easily enough

I need to pick up an antenna for an old TV I have outside to watch the game tomorrow.

What should I get?

It apparently has a built in ASTC tuner if that helps.

how far away from the station?

the website linked above can tell ya.....a paper clip will pick up several here

IMG_6500.jpg

• Like 1

The problem is indoor antennas by default are unreliable. 

M2k2eFS.jpg

Here is the terrible signal. 

zpGzn2O.jpg

rPtoZse.jpg

How do you expect me to sit back and relax on a Sunday when I see this every ****ing week? You're lucky the Redskins already played last night because if I saw this during a Redskins game I would go berserk! 

So, I'm on my way to cutting the cord. Bought the antenna and a tablo. Going to get sling TV also. Also going for a VPN, but have a question about that.

If I get the VPN, will it disguise every device on my network or doors the VPN go on a computer and disguise only that computer, specifically? Thanks all

Im guessing computer but not sure. It's by default an encrypted passage to a network

Not shocked to see the Kodi love in here, I'm just getting into it. I don't agree that you can't enjoy sports without cable. I've come to accept not always seeing my home team in HD, but the HD replays aren't hard to find now (kodi or not).

the feeds are difficult to find and I have no clue what Kodi is. Why should I download something to watch sports?