Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

I no longer have cable. I have HBO NOW through my apple TV, and if there is ever a sports game, I can easily find streams online. Easily connect my device that's streaming wirelessly to my TV and watch sports. Hulu and Netflix fill the void for everything else.

**** Comcast. There is no reason to pay the prices cable companies charge for TV unless you really spend most of your free time doing that. I watch maybe 3-4 hours of TV at max each week and I'm happy that my money is no longer going to Comcast and their shady business practices.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcny_pixDw

At least I'm not paying them $200/month.

I have the same setup as you. Have you tried to setup the HBO service on your xbone? Iirc, I had already purchased the HBO Now subscription and needed a separate subscription for HBO GO in order to get it on the xbone. Kinda silly, you'd think the login information would remain viable considering it's the same service just on different platforms.

I have the same setup as you. Have you tried to setup the HBO service on your xbone? Iirc, I had already purchased the HBO Now subscription and needed a separate subscription for HBO GO in order to get it on the xbone. Kinda silly, you'd think the login information would remain viable considering it's the same service just on different platforms.

So, the HBO Now is not cross compatible with the HBO Go app?  Is there or are they planning on developing an HBO Now app separate from HBO Go for those that cut the cable/satellite cord?

Edit:  Ok, just read it's separate like you said.  Makes sense though, since HBO Go was developed for cable/satellite companies and tied directly to those accounts.  So, basically, one with HBO Now will be limited to iOS (ipad, iphone, apple tv, etc.) for 3 months, then will be available across multiple devices (android, roku, etc.).

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Exactly. Dude I was watching the NBA and NHL last night just flipping through channels during the NHL intermission. You can't do that if you're pirating off streams. It's so easy to just flip through channels, use previous channels. That's the big secret to how to watch NBA and NHL games at the same time 

And if watching a lot of sports is what you do then it subscribing to cable/satellite certainly makes sense. I know it didn't for me because I just don't watch that much sports. I watched 3-4 Skins games per year (I'm out of market so I only get to see MNF, Sunday night games etc) and then we watch UK basketball. It occurred to me that if someone offered me a package where I could watch that amount of games for the low cost of $1,440 per year I would laugh in their face...but that's what I was paying.

Oh sure I don't get to watch SportsCenter anymore...but I can get all of the information I actually want from their website without all of the "who go arrested in sports today" drama.

As far as flipping channels, or hooking up every laptop in the house well it's really simple. My son has a PS3 and we typically watch Netflix, Hulu and Amazon through it, and for sports etc we go through the AppleTv and stream it through the iPad. All of those things are hooked into the network all the time anyways so it's pretty simple.

But aren't you paying subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon? You just hooked up 2 devices. Mine is already hooked up. I watch more than sports. I have TV shows I like, I record movies and I like a lot of the history/discovery shows.

And you have those wonderful advertisements.  Those, specifically the ungodly amount of an hour they now take up (greedy bastiches), were one of my prime motivators.  I watch what I want when I want and I don't have to pay attention to fastforwarding 5 times a show.  Many different options are available to stream, most of them are very user friendly.  As much so as a cable box when you first get it.

The amount and quality of documentaries on the streaming services blows away the reality crap they show on discovery and history.  Amazon has a series on Europe which I find fascinating and had never seen anything about Europe's natural features anywhere else. Learned about the silly Germans thinking racoons were a good idea for a transplant, among all kinds of other fascinating things.   

Sports is really the only reason left to pay for sat/cable.  Just about everything else is available cheaper and without commercials (or at worst the limited commercials on hulu which suck but are no where near as numerous as cable).  Paying $100+/month and suffering through commercials?  That's become masochistic to my way of thinking. I do seriously miss the NFL Network but I figure it will work itself out as more people move to only streaming.

Edited by KAOSkins

And you have those wonderful advertisements.  Those, specifically the ungodly amount of an hour they now take up (greedy bastiches), were one of my prime motivators.  I watch what I want when I want and I don't have to pay attention to fastforwarding 5 times a show.  Many different options are available to stream, most of them are very user friendly.  As much so as a cable box when you first get it.

The amount and quality of documentaries on the streaming services blows away the reality crap they show on discovery and history.  Amazon has a series on Europe which I find fascinating and had never seen anything about Europe's natural features anywhere else. Learned about the silly Germans thinking racoons were a good idea for a transplant, among all kinds of other fascinating things.   

Sports is really the only reason left to pay for sat/cable.  Just about everything else is available cheaper and without commercials (or at worst the limited commercials on hulu which suck but are no where near as numerous as cable).  Paying $100+/month and suffering through commercials?  That's become masochistic to my way of thinking. I do seriously miss the NFL Network but I figure it will work itself out as more people move to only streaming.

To each their own I guess. I don't own a PS or any devise like that. I have a laptop and an I-Phone and can go on the internet with those devices, but I can admit that I'm not very tech savy when it comes to all of this.  I wouldn't know what to hook up to where or where to look online for anything. I was really into computers and the internet back in the mid 90s and tried to keep up with technology, but I gave up. It just moved way too fast.

As far as the commercials go, I've gotten to where I just record the program and watch it the next day.  Sure, you have to fast forward through the commercials, but it's not like it takes a huge physical effort to do that. I don't think I will ever watch TV on the internet unless satellite goes completely away and I'm forced to. The younger generation can have all that Hulu, Roku and whatever 'U'.  Not for me.

I've actually watched less TV lately. I'm trying to wean myself off of it and getting out and doing things. It's a hard habit to break.  We have horrible, I mean horrible internet at our house. I think the house is cursed. We have to constantly have our internet provider reset the wireless. It will work for a couple of months and then crap out.  Not reliabable enough for me. Sure rain puts a damper on Satellite, but rarely.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 1

Is HBO Now an apple specific app? I know you can get HBO Go on pretty much every device and on your TV, If you have chromecast you can wireless stream it.

I haven't looked at it yet on my Apple TV cause there is no need to as I already pay for HBO in my DTV package.  But after reading this article from Tech Times [link] - http://www.techtimes.com/articles/40124/20150316/hbo-go-vs-hbo-now-what-s-the-difference-between-hbo-s-two-streaming-services.htm

It seems that it is an iOS specific app for the first three months, then it will expand to other platforms (android, roku, etc.).

For Roku users, I saw this Nowhere TV thing on lifehacker about a month ago. I installed it, but haven't gotten around to checking it out. I work all the time once summer hits, so not a whole lot of time for TV. Looks like it could be pretty cool though, especially for people that stream a lot. http://lifehacker.com/the-best-private-roku-channels-and-how-to-install-them-1700519600. Also, in the comments, there is a link to a Roku private channel guide. http://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels

Edited by SoulSkin

As Taze posted, HBO Now is Apple limited for now. But it's expanding in a couple of months. For now I'm just using it through Apple TV.

Question to those that cut thy cable cord and have a DVR.  So, can you only record shows real time on it?  Because without actual cable/satellite service, wouldn't there not be any guide and way to set it up to record on a specific channel for future programing?

I would assume that you would have to put it on a local station on the antenna and manually record it?  Kind of defeats the point right?  Also, if multiple shows are on at the same time, say 2 or 3 at once, you can only watch/record one right?

Question to those that cut thy cable cord and have a DVR.  So, can you only record shows real time on it?  Because without actual cable/satellite service, wouldn't there not be any guide and way to set it up to record on a specific channel for future programing?

I would assume that you would have to put it on a local station on the antenna and manually record it?  Kind of defeats the point right?  Also, if multiple shows are on at the same time, say 2 or 3 at once, you can only watch/record one right?

Nope, it's easy.  Windows Media Center (or XMBC? and other media softwares) download the guides and you set up a schedule same as I did with my Dtv box.  It's actually easier to use and set up better.  I have one antenna split for two feeds so I can watch and record.  You can have more feeds than that if you want.  You do have to leave your computer on of course.

This guy explains other options, a device for just over the air.  http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/20/diary-of-a-cord-cutter-in-2015-part-3-using-an-over-the-air-dvr/#.dp3p5m:V9tp

Nope, it's easy.  Windows Media Center (or XMBC? and other media softwares) download the guides and you set up a schedule same as I did with my Dtv box.  It's actually easier to use and set up better.  I have one antenna split for two feeds so I can watch and record.  You can have more feeds than that if you want.  You do have to leave your computer on of course.

This guy explains other options, a device for just over the air.  http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/20/diary-of-a-cord-cutter-in-2015-part-3-using-an-over-the-air-dvr/#.dp3p5m:V9tp

This is good but with the death of Media Center in Windows 10 I am switching to Tablo. Let's you use Roku, Chromecast, and other devices for playback of OTA recordings.

This is good but with the death of Media Center in Windows 10 I am switching to Tablo. Let's you use Roku, Chromecast, and other devices for playback of OTA recordings.

Yah, dammit. These companies come up with good stuff, get you all invested in their environment and then announce they are going stop supporting it.  

It should work ok even after they stop support but the guide will be an issue I hear.  I suppose I'll try xmbc on the side and see how it is.  Or look into something like the Tablo.  Media Center is soo good though.

I'm kinda sold on the htpc thing.  Pausing a stream and opening a tab to check the news or ES is something I've come to depend on.  I admit I have the attention span of a gnat.  :blink:

This thread is hilarious on a sports message board.  I can watch anything in the world on any service but sports.  So at the end of the day, if I want to watch Wizards, Nats, Redskins, Caps I need my cable tv.

Who cares if you can watch Europe or Duck Dynasty on Hulu, Roku or Amazon Prime.

You can't watch all of your sports teams.

They screw you coming and going.

Edited by chipwhich
  • Like 2

This thread is hilarious on a sports message board.  I can watch anything in the world on any service but sports.  So at the end of the day, if I want to watch Wizards, Nats, Redskins, Caps I need my cable tv.

Who cares if you can watch Europe or Duck Dynasty on Hulu, Roku or Amazon Prime.

**** you and your common sense!  :lol:

My family just added the Netflix dvd plans for our entertainment. Honestly, I don't know why we don't just go the full pirate route for $10 per month.

Pirates deliver all the first run tv shows movies, and even sports and have for many, many years.

But as our kids get older, there is less of a need for media consumption save movies, occaisional tv, and sports highlights... live sports is rare.

I think all the sports leagues have the non-live sports area covered, I may even get NFL Rewind just to have it this season.

I'd have to get the NFL Sunday Ticket regardless, to watch the Skins since I'm in Charlotte.  But the antenna should pick up CBS and Fox in HD, in order to watch those games.  I'd have to buy the ESPN deal though for Monday Night Football.

It would suck for NBA and MLB, since I need TNT, TBS and the regional sports package to see the majority of Braves and Hornets games and basically all of the Hurricanes games.  

I really want to pull the trigger and can get by with the new HBO Now, ESPN/Disney channel pay service along with NFL Sunday Ticket through the Xbox One or PS4.  I can handle watching other TV shows later when they come to Amazon or Netflix.

But when it comes to the rest of sports(NBA, MLB, NHL, etc.), your screwed like you said.  I could get the MLB package through my Apple TV.  Not sure about the NBA one though.  That **** is still expensive though.  

I was telling my wife yesterday, we save a lot of money, stay at home a lot.  If paying $200/month for satellite and all the premium movie channels is my biggest flaw, then so be it.  Still gonna keep my eyes and ears open to finding away to eventually beat the cable/satellite monster.  

The problem with the sports streaming packages is that blackout your local team. Which to me, doesn't make any sense at all.

Yeah, just looked at the NBA League Pass and it's only available through a cable/satellite provider (at least that's all I could find).  As far as MLB, I can pay $119 and get the entire season through Apple TV (no service provider required).

Only thing about that is in Charlotte, the Braves, Nats, O's and Reds are subject to blackout.  Horrible.  We don't have a MLB team, I don't think I should have other teams blacked out.  How in the hell are the Reds, O's and Nats blacked out to me.  

Braves, well, I get that somewhat, but still, 4 hours away.  I should be able to get all the games.  What makes even less sense is the majority of these games are played on a cable/satellite channel (Fox Sports South, etc.) and not regular local channels.

So, I can get the Braves game on FSS by paying for regional sports package on DTV, but I can't watch the home games via MLB TV app because I live 4 hours away.  

Yeah, just looked at the NBA League Pass and it's only available through a cable/satellite provider (at least that's all I could find).  As far as MLB, I can pay $119 and get the entire season through Apple TV (no service provider required).

Only thing about that is in Charlotte, the Braves, Nats, O's and Reds are subject to blackout.  Horrible.  We don't have a MLB team, I don't think I should have other teams blacked out.  How in the hell are the Reds, O's and Nats blacked out to me.  

Braves, well, I get that somewhat, but still, 4 hours away.  I should be able to get all the games.  What makes even less sense is the majority of these games are played on a cable/satellite channel (Fox Sports South, etc.) and not regular local channels.

So, I can get the Braves game on FSS by paying for regional sports package on DTV, but I can't watch the home games via MLB TV app because I live 4 hours away.  

Yup none of that makes any sense.

I really thought when WWE came out with their own online streaming, that we'd start to see other sport leagues do the same. MLB is the closest right now with MLB.tv, but there's still limitations.

Sports really is the main reason for most people to still have cable/satellite. Until the sports leagues start offering better streaming choices, people will be hard pressed to cut the cord.

Absolutely.  I will admit, I watch a lot of TV shows/movies.  I get my money's worth paying what I pay to have all the regular channels and other networks/movie channels (regional sports, starz, showtime, TMC, HBO, Max, Encore, FX, AMC, A&E, etc.).

But, considering I could get by with watching all of those shows I wouldn't have access to later on Netflix or Amazon, I would be fine with that.  It would take some adjusting, but after a few months I'd probably not even care as much.  But sports is where they get you.  I try to watch as many Hornets games as I can, Braves as well.

It's already limited time for me as it is with everything else going on in life (work, kid, etc.) and working in all those shows, time aside for gaming, etc.  The great thing about scrapping DTV and picking up HBO Now and ESPN, going full antenna and having Netflix/Amazon would be that I would be forced to watch the vast majority of my shows later as I wouldn't have access.

That would open up time to watch more hockey, basketball and baseball.  Which is not a bad thing.  But then you have the blackout rules, so it ruins everything.

The problem with the sports streaming packages is that blackout your local team. Which to me, doesn't make any sense at all.

Yep

one of the reasons I do streams, and can watch about any game with a little effort (though the quality is usually not as good)

paying to get blacked out is frustrating.

That would open up time to watch more hockey, basketball and baseball. Which is not a bad thing. But then you have the blackout rules, so it ruins everything.

I still don't get this complaint. Subscribe to a VPN/proxy service that makes the apps think you are watching from Oregon, or any other location. The only sport this won't work on is NFL, but I think this will get you regular season games (that aren't national).

Still, playoffs wise need to pick up cable though... or just be like me where your family gradually becomes more important and scores and highlights become good enough.