Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter: Dan Snyder chose Malcolm(b) Kelly over Jamaal Charles

SteveFromYellowstone

I don't care who did it, but that was a ****ing dumb choice. Most teams completely took that ****head off their draft lists.

Did he beat your dog or something?

This isn't Fat Al we're talking about, it's a player who didn't last due to injury. Maybe dial it down a notch or 5.

Is anyone else tired of the slow Shanny/Schefter trickle? I have lost respect for Schefter and feel that he has let his personal relationship with the lobster corrupt his professional reputation. Why report this info except to rub more salt in the wound. It serves no other purpose.

This is really old but Dan didnt pick him. Vinny did. What was the craziest part was the following year was that we had a trade in place for Charles the next year and Vinny overruled Brown.

Another Jab from Shanny through Shefty. 

I bet the next thing we hear is about how Danny wanted to trade up for Orakpo with the broncos. Which is common knowlege

Not sure how much it had to do with Portis.

There was a lot of nonsense in that draft.  2008 was probably one of the worst drafts talent-wise in the last 15 years.  Not to give an excuse to the FO or Dan, but not many people were hitting on studs there.

That said, we're 6-7 years removed from that.

Interesting nonetheless.

Also why we have one of the worst FA classes ever coming up.

What sucks, is that I would have run the draft better than the skins.  

I was in love with Jordy Nelson and Jamaal Charles that year.  They were by far my favorite guys in the draft, and I was praying we were going to take them in the 2nd round of that draft, then we took two other receivers and a TE.  

That was not a happy draft year.  I was one of the people livid we picked a TE (instead of one of the guys I wanted).

Did he beat your dog or something?

This isn't Fat Al we're talking about, it's a player who didn't last due to injury. Maybe dial it down a notch or 5.

Nope. He was finished before he was drafted. Remember him having a pitiful 40 and blaming it on his school? He never should have made it to the NFL. Again, he was removed from some teams draft boards completely because concern over his knees was so bad. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew he'd never make it and just declared for the money.

There was a lot of nonsense in that draft.  2008 was probably one of the worst drafts talent-wise in the last 15 years.  Not to give an excuse to the FO or Dan, but not many people were hitting on studs there. 

dude there was a lot of talent in that draft… if we had stayed at 21 we would have had our choice at:

chris johnson

mike jenkins

duane brown

dustin keller

kenny phillips

brandon flowers

jordy nelson

curtis lofton

tracy porter

eddie royal

matt forte

jerome simpson

desean jackson

ray rice

martellus bennett

jamaal charles

earl bennett

early doucet

jeremy zuttah

harry douglas

jermichael finley

cliff avril

mario manningham

thomas decoud

josh sitton

matthew slater

carl nicks

im not saying every one of these guys are all-pros, but almost all of them would be upgrades over what we have now.  

first round guys that have done something in the NFL: jake long, matt ryan, darren mcfadden, glenn dorsey, sedrick ellis, jerod mayo, leodis mckelvin, ryan clady, jonathon stewart, branden albert, dominique rodgers-cromartie, joe flacco, jeff otah, aquib talib, and rashard mendenhall

2008 was a pretty damn solid class if you ask me… it just sucked really bad for us.

Hell, I didn't even know he had an interview on the subject, and it just confirms what I thought.

Can't copy and paste, but it's easy enough to find. He knew he was done in 2009. He declared early because he knew his knees wouldn't hold up. **** him. All he was worried about was his paycheck. Some dumbass in the Skins' front office wasted a second rounder on him. His worthless ass would have been a waste of a seventh.

We did end up with two 6th WR from that draft... but we weren't the ones that drafted them: Garçon and Morgan. We took a punter in the 6th rd ahead of those two and we cut him before mid season of his rookie year.

That was such a bad draft. Zorn wanted tall receivers.

We passed on Desean Jackson and took Devin Thomas. Passed on Calais Campbell.

Colt Brennan was worth a 6th just for the entertainment value he provided on this forum.

On the plus side Rob Jackson was a great 7th rd pick and Horton produced for a couple of years.

Boozie wasn't a horrid pick but Desean and Calais Campbell were on the board.

I'm not sure if things would have been different.  Admittedly, Kelly's medical problems should have been flagged much earlier than they were, but Shanahan was not known for keeping running backs for long, and if Charles had an injury in 2011 like he did in KC, who knows what would have happened.  Even if we was the featured back, we'd probably still have 2-3 other backs waiting on the sidelines.

The other thing is that the cost for AlMo was incredibly low.  A 6th rounder is basically nothing, and in return we got a franchise back.  If AlMo had cost a 2nd rounder or something high, then the argument could be made that we could have used the Kelly pick for Charles and the AlMo pick for something else, but with it only costing a 6th, it's not a huge burden.

I think I personally would have preferred Jordy Nelson or DeSean Jackson anyway.  We've seen what those two are capable of with good QBs.

The bigger issue is Snyder's meddlesome ways, but he seems to have fully stepped back from that by this point, at least for drafting purposes.

Nope. He was finished before he was drafted. Remember him having a pitiful 40 and blaming it on his school? He never should have made it to the NFL. Again, he was removed from some teams draft boards completely because concern over his knees was so bad. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew he'd never make it and just declared for the money.

All this is true, but still doesn't make him a "****head." It's just football, he didn't do anything to you personally. 

All this is true, but still doesn't make him a "****head." It's just football, he didn't do anything to you personally. 

Yes it does, and yes he did. He is on the same level as a scam artist as far as I am concerned. My favorite team just had to be the jackasses that fell for it, and my team suffered for it. So, for the 3rd time, **** that ****head.

Yes it does, and yes he did. He is on the same level as a scam artist as far as I am concerned. My favorite team just had to be the jackasses that fell for it, and my team suffered for it. So, for the 3rd time, **** that ****head.

This is a rational response.  :rolleyes:

For you:

facepalm-1.jpg

Every time the 2008 draft is brought up it just infuriates me. Just looking at the what was available at every one of those 2nd round picks...including guys the board was screaming for like Jordy Nelson or Calais Campbell...and coming away with Sleepy, Comb, and Fantasia's backup dancer. Just FML

Calais Campbell is the one who irritates me. I remember lots of talk about him on here and he would look REALLY good as a DE in our 3-4 scheme .....

All ancient history though and I'm not sure why its being brought up now or what relevance it has to whats going to happen going forwards.

Calais Campbell is the one who irritates me. I remember lots of talk about him on here and he would look REALLY good as a DE in our 3-4 scheme .....

All ancient history though and I'm not sure why its being brought up now or what relevance it has to whats going to happen going forwards.

The excuses for not drafting CC were all over the place here. I wanted to use our 1st on OT Duane Brown IIRC.

Yup, and you have to wonder about the value of this as a news story today?  If this were the week before the draft with the new regime it'd make sense.  If Campbell or Brown just left and we were looking at a new draft brain trust, I'd buy it.  The story that Snyder and Vinny made bad choices and the Redskins picked some bad players goes into the "No ****, Sherlock" category for me.

Most were a little confused at why with three second rounders we picked twor receivers and a tight end.  Now, sleepy turned out to be pretty good value for a second pick except he never maximized his potential.  The other two busted.  Really easy to be critical and deservedly so. 

I see little point in this story.  Maybe we could complain that Tom Brady was on our draft board and we bypassed him SIX TIMES!!!

Archived